Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take guild wars off the top list

its not even an MMORPG its a online diablo, with instead of a chat room a town. Replace it with a true MMO like WoW or Ragnarok Online. GW is not a MMO please take it of this site!

Comments

  • StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

    Guild Wars meets the criteria that we have laid out for a game to qualify for representation on this site and will remain on this site.

    As to taking it off of the "top" list. That list is determined by our members, and we do not add and remove games from it.

    Cheers,

    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager

    Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

  • Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

    Owned, I think.

  • GedanGedan Member Posts: 22
    Uh Guildwars belongs in the top ten for a number of reasons.... the number one reason being its free.
  • Oprah2Oprah2 Member Posts: 118
    Guild Wars is one of the best MMORPG's i have ever played and I have played a plethora of MMO's so your idea should not happen and think before u post
  • vortigen7vortigen7 Member Posts: 116


    Originally posted by Gedan
    Uh Guildwars belongs in the top ten for a number of reasons.... the number one reason being its free.

    Of course it's the players who rate the games and decide what is on the top or bottom of the list through those ratings. But seriously...you would actually rate a game highly just because it's free to play? Lame.

    Since when did being free qualify as a reason for a games quality? Being free doesn't mean that it's good. I guess if someone gave you a Yugo that you'd say that it's better than a Porche, simply because it was free. "Yeah...my Yugo is better than a Porche because it didn't cost me anything." Uh...ok. If that's your idea of how things are rated, I can see you're a Wal-mart shopper. Games that cost you something financially generally will mean you're at least willing to invest some time into it and play with some sense of accomplishment. You take time to develop your character because its an investment. Paying to play a game is also a reward for the developers work.

    If you're given anything free, you tend not to appreciate it's real value, and thus it's appeal diminishes. The people who want things in life for free are the same lazy bums on SS or welfare, who want everything on a silver platter; never mind the developers who sweated to bring them the product...they just don't want to pay to get something. Oh, and then don't you freebie players start complaining about interface, mechanics, lag, disconnects, lack of updates, poor translations, hacking, etc., for if you're playing for free what right do you have to complain about it and then expect something to be corrected? Does anyone owe it to you to improve it or make it the way that you want it to be? Hehe. Get real people. It's people like you that bloat the ratings and make them an ineffectual gauge to determine a game's quality.

    Thus, the gankers, kiddies, and losers will always flock to the freebie games, looking for a handout.

  • SimplyMichaeSimplyMichae Member Posts: 86

    Value, or the amount of content versus money spent, is a perfectly acceptable category to help rate a game.

    You're right about that last point though.

    ~ Michael

  • Russ007Russ007 Member Posts: 19

    just because a game is free doesn't automaticly make it a top ten...

  • holythoughholythough Member Posts: 236


    Originally posted by vortigen7

    Since when did being free qualify as a reason for a games quality? Being free doesn't mean that it's good. I guess if someone gave you a Yugo that you'd say that it's better than a Porche, simply because it was free. "Yeah...my Yugo is better than a Porche because it didn't cost me anything." Uh...ok. If that's your idea of how things are rated, I can see you're a Wal-mart shopper. Games that cost you something financially generally will mean you're at least willing to invest some time into it and play with some sense of accomplishment. You take time to develop your character because its an investment. Paying to play a game is also a reward for the developers work.





    If you don't have the money for a porsche you at least are driving something. When it makes somthing affordable for people it does REALLY make a thing better in some perspective. Just look at the succes of ford it was totally based on the fact that finally made a car possible for normal people.

    If you have a lot of money this perspective goes away you only look at the qaulity anymore but this is only for peeps that have the money for it. A hidden extra in case of mmorpg is that if its free non credit caard holders (not so many peeps in america but in europe it's still pretty common and also younger people for obvious reason). So for these people the facts its free is a great features.

  • LudovicoLudovico Member Posts: 47
    Can i ask what does mmorpg.com look for in a game to be considered a mmorpg. because as far as i can tell guildwars is the same as diablo and therefor diablo should be placed on this site aswell. 

  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848


    Originally posted by Ludovico
    Can i ask what does mmorpg.com look for in a game to be considered a mmorpg. because as far as i can tell guildwars is the same as diablo and therefor diablo should be placed on this site aswell.
    Click F.A.Q up to the right then click on "I think there is a game that needs to be added to your list. How do I submit this?"-section.
  • mozismozis Member Posts: 436


    Originally posted by CHAOSBROOD

    its not even an MMORPG its a online diablo, with instead of a chat room a town. Replace it with a true MMO like WoW or Ragnarok Online. GW is not a MMO please take it of this site!


    According to your requirements, in order for a game to be on this website it must be completely dissimilar to all other PC games and you must not be able to hang out in town and talk to friends. Might as well just delete this website then... if you don't like a game because it is popular I think you are probably suffering from a superiority complex. By the way GW has been classified a CORPG, competetive online roleplaying game and if you don't like it nobody is forcing you to play it. It is #2 on this website and ranks high on other sites as well, it obviously has posotive attributes that you seem to be overlooking. I have been enjoying the game for 14 months and you can say whatever the hell you want about it, you arn't going to make me stop playing. Two million accounts have been sold, if you don't think people should play feel free to e-mail each and every account owner and tell them to stop playing.

    image

  • yokam888yokam888 Member Posts: 87


    Originally posted by CHAOSBROOD

    its not even an MMORPG its a online diablo, with instead of a chat room a town. Replace it with a true MMO like WoW or Ragnarok Online. GW is not a MMO please take it of this site!


    im guessing he owns a p2p mmorpg company... and he is losing money because of GW... lots of companies are that way, i even got banned from a forum because ive mentioned the word GuildWars, you cannot even type the word guildwars there, they filter it like its a curse word... lots of mmos are losing money because of GW...  

    (\__/) Why Can't You Put
    ( ^.^) The Bunneh
    (")-(") Back In The Box?

  • SentynalSentynal Member Posts: 12

    Guild wars more of a unique game which is why it got a high rating because not everyone wants to be a guy who stares at a comp and later tells everyone that he/she is higher level, that kills the fun out of MMORPGs. Besides theres a thing called a "life" and i find that games like ragnarok kills what some people have called a "life"

    LOL guildwars swear thats funny... hehehe....he.....thats sad...besides if guildwars was taken off many people would complain to get it back on beacause guildwars is quite popular in NA, euroupe, korea, japan, and several other countries, and everyone would fight each other to get gods favor... which is cool and before when we didnt have strategy we got our --- whooped by Asians and mostly Koreans but now europe has most, america gets it some times.

  • ps_manps_man Member Posts: 107


    Originally posted by Russ007

    just because a game is free doesn't automaticly make it a top ten...


    who said it automaticly made it a top 10?
  • DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415


    Originally posted by Ludovico
    Can i ask what does mmorpg.com look for in a game to be considered a mmorpg. because as far as i can tell guildwars is the same as diablo and therefor diablo should be placed on this site aswell. 



    The key difference between Diablo and Guild Wars is that Diablo has you meet in a lobby, similar to Battlefield and then join a game that spawns a copy of the world. In Guild Wars, people meet in a graphical common area and then go out into instanced adventures.

    I admit, it's a fine line, but we need to draw it somewhere. Ultimately, Guild Wars appeals to the same people that play MMORPGs, is produced by an MMORPG company and is often promoted as such.

    Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

  • SentynalSentynal Member Posts: 12


    Originally posted by ps_man

    Originally posted by Russ007

    just because a game is free doesn't automaticly make it a top ten...

    who said it automaticly made it a top 10?



    I can give tons of online free MMORPGs thats free and are crapped to the max. maple story for example...Now that game is crap...
  • Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951


    Originally posted by Stradden

    Guild Wars meets the criteria that we have laid out for a game to qualify for representation on this site and will remain on this site.
    As to taking it off of the "top" list. That list is determined by our members, and we do not add and remove games from it.
    Cheers,
    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager


      <--- Stradden PWNING you! [email protected]!9342

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.