Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

quick questions from a eve n00b

wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

Hiya, im trying to figure out how i should arm my omen or frig. im new to pvp and i am looking for some advice on loadouts for both a frig and an amarr cruiser (to be a pirate...).

Also, travel. just how can i boost this up a bit. ive tried so low end burners but really nothing is working out here. Can someone tell me which skills to train? (burner? Microwave drive?) just wana avoid wasting time is all

Much thanks to all

Rites of the Four Horsemen
http://www.rotfh.com

Comments

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

I would reccomend equipping your frig first. Simply because it'll be less expensive to lose (and you likely have better skills at it than your omen) as you learn the ropes of piracy.

As far as travel, instas are the best way outside of using MWDs or ABs. Just move your ship to an area that is 13km (for 15km BMs) and 17km (for 20km BMs) and make a bookmark, should land on the gate.

You could also use jump clones, but to be started you need to jump into a friendly 0.0 outpost (that might be difficult if you're an infamous pirate, so do it early) Train Imfomorph Psycology and go to the outpost. Set up a clone there, then go to a empire system and jump back to your outpost clone, and you got a empire jump clone. You can repeat the process in your most important systems.

Hope that helps, have fun in EVE.

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328
    not sure what an insta is... what i mean is increasing my speed of travel. what do you guys do?

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• WolfjunkieWolfjunkie Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 985

Originally posted by wyzwun
    not sure what an insta is... what i mean is increasing my speed of travel. what do you guys do?

As far as i know(I've only played EVE for a few days, to take my words with a grain of salt), insta's are.. A bookmark, where you land close to the jump gate. That means, you no longer have to wait for your ship to approach the gate.
  • janjansonjanjanson Member Posts: 201

This thread had some info on instas in it http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/85688

• aafiskeaafiske Member Posts: 12
    I was confused about instas for a while too at first.

Instas are a kind of bookmark, you could say. Notice when you right click on an asteroid or station or whatever, you can choose 'bookmark this location'. You can then warp to that object any time you're in system, and get up to 15km near it.

But that 15km is annoying to travel, and dangerous in low/no-security space. So in the days of yore, someone figured out that if you are at point A, and want to get to point B instantly, place a bookmark at a point in space 15km _past_ point B. like this:

(you at pt a) ----space------>B (stargate)-->(a spot 15km further along the same line between A and B. this is your insta)

So now if you warp to  15km from your BM, you end up smack ontop of B. If B is a station, you can instantly dock. If it's a stargate, you can instantly jump. Hence 'insta'.

In theory, making them is just a matter of taking a speedy ship at point A, warp to point B, and keep flying in a straight line until you're 15km past B. Put down a bookmark, label it something useful. Ta-dah.

In practice, it takes a little skill to line everything up so that your insta doesn't drop you 7km below the gate.  And it can get mighty tedious doing an insta from every gate to every gate. Some players set up businesses making and selling them (but watch for scammers, ask around to find a reputible business.)

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    I recommend that you check out the Official EVE Forums, in the 'Ships and Modules' section there are setups suggested by players for every type of ship. :)

-iCeh