Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did I miss something?

Okay well I've heard a lot about SWG being dumb, stupid, etc but I finally decided to give it a try.  It's been about 2 months now and honestly, I'm really liking it.  Is it just me?  Or is it just to early for me to see whats wrong with it?  I mean I was in beta and it wasn't to good back then.  I myself said I wouldn't touch it.  But now I'm not seeing anything wrong with it, though people say it might as well still be in beta.  So what am I missing, I'm still no expert at the game itself?

Comments

• Originally posted by Duomaxwell0102
    Okay well I've heard a lot about SWG being dumb, stupid, etc but I finally decided to give it a try.  It's been about 2 months now and honestly, I'm really liking it.  Is it just me?  Or is it just to early for me to see whats wrong with it?  I mean I was in beta and it wasn't to good back then.  I myself said I wouldn't touch it.  But now I'm not seeing anything wrong with it, though people say it might as well still be in beta.  So what am I missing, I'm still no expert at the game itself?

1. You say you have currently played SWG and that you like it and enjoy it.

2. That is all there is to it. LOL. What, do you want others to try to get you to DISLIKE SWG after you have already started to like SWG? image

Last:

- This here site MMORPG.com is NOT a major game site. Further, almost no SWG fans even know about it. (Though this is still a nice site.)

- The majority of SWG bashers on this site have either never ever played SWG at all (yep it's true!), have only played SWG in beta and keep saying SWG is the SAME as it was in beta LOLOL!, or have not played SWG recently, currently, now, at present time ..... thus are in no position to comment on what SWG is like right now.

- Also check out the post count of the SWG bashers when they made their first few posts. Many have 1, 3, 5 or 10 or so posts. Which means they came to this site with the sole intent to bash SWG. NOT to use this sight MMORPG.com for what it is ment to be used for which is to check out ALL the MMORPG games that are out - as listed in the menu on the far left side.

Continue to have fun in SWG. Because that is what it is all about. YOU having fun. As a bonus, SWG is a financially successfull MMORPG which means it will still be around for years so your investment in your character is solid. image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• Duomaxwell0102Duomaxwell0102 Member Posts: 15
    Hmm... I guess I can't argue there.  I guess I'll just stick with my own opinion and not burst my own bubble? Heh heh.
  • MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232

Well, actually you did miss something...but not in the way you mean. You missed all of the frustration we, the players, had after release. It took me 3 months to realize that I wasn't having fun playing the game, and another month to quit because all of my friends had gone.

I think many people bash this game because they were expecting something that wasn't delivered to them. If you have fun playing it, then I'm happy for you. But many people were let down with SWG.

MAKANE
    (Horizons: Malakye Revan - Conjurer on Bounty)
    Lords of Stonekeep

• Originally posted by Makane

Well, actually you did miss something...but not in the way you mean. You missed all of the frustration we, the players, had after release. It took me 3 months to realize that I wasn't having fun playing the game, and another month to quit because all of my friends had gone.
    I think many people bash this game because they were expecting something that wasn't delivered to them. If you have fun playing it, then I'm happy for you. But many people were let down with SWG.

MAKANE
    Lords of Stonekeep

And far, far, more people enjoy SWG right now, than the few who "felt let down" aka were never the intended target market for SWG.

Hey! We finally got Makane to say for sure what his ingame experience with SWG is!

He has played SWG during its first 4 months of release. Not bad. But SWG right now IS different from what it was 2-3 months ago. Some examples:

- PvP is more tight and exciting, on all servers, as well as the unofficial PvP servers. As of right now, the majority of Imperial and Rebel players have worked their way up the faction ranks to take advantage of the faction perks. They also have gotten better armor, and weapons, and honed their perfection of the combat system. This means the majority of them are engaging in PvP, especially on the unofficial PvP servers.

- The majority of players are past the "newbie" curve now. More players are checking out the other planets, venturing deeeep into the wilderness. More players are checking out one of the KEY features of SWG - being able to check  out as many other professions as they want.

Sidenote: Some say "but when I unlearn skills to learn other new skills I'm starting all over!". Not true. Smart players keep their old weapons, armor, etc.... And smart players save their in game money aka credits. In reality, it's like being able to "auto-twink your ownself" instead of creating a new character and twinking it. Is there a difference? Yes. Everyone's reputation continues to follow them around.

"There goes Drooga the smuggler! He used to be one of the best droid engineers this side of Theed. Before that he was one of the best Doctors on Tantooine! Before that he was a well known bounty hunter! He has always done fair deals! I think I'll check out his smuggling operation."

- SWG is now being played the way it was MENT to be played. What is this?

See, the first 4 to 5 months of SWG's release, EVERYONE was playing hardcore, even the casual players. Because years and months before SWG's release, everyone on purpose planned their vacation time, when to take off from work, school, from life (heheh), to be there the first few months of SWG's release. Thus, even SWG's intended target market - SW fans who have never played a MMORPG before, and casual players who have a life - were ALL hardcore, powergamers, during the first few months of release.

The fact SWG released at the start of school vacation helped and didn't help at the same time. image

- And of course, SWG now has land vehicles, player cities, along with all major exploits long since squashed. Many major bugs are now taken care of. The game is still in its growing pains stage, yet to start entering its prime. But right now it IS 95% playable, fun, and working, and successfull.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Ok here's the scoop, because i have actually PLAYED it.

When the game first was released was a REAL let down. Nothing had been done, lots of bugs, WoW could have been released right now and would have done better than swg on release.

However, the game it was then and the game it was now is probably alot different.

I just found it unfair that i had to pay for so many crappy months until it finally got good. If they held it back about half a year, that game could have held on to so many more players.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Rathma,

I fully agree with you.

In fact, in the old SWG forums, after the NDA was lifted, many respectable beta testers, as well as the SWG game DEVs theirselves, came out and said WAIT before buying the game.

They posted a scale something like:

If you are a hardcore MMORPG player and a hardcore SW fan then get it now and play it. But expect lots of bugs.

- If you are not a SW fan, but a hardcore MMORPG player then wait 6 months before playing.

- If you are a SW fan, and not a hardcore MMORPG player, then wait 1 year or more before playing.

- If you are a casual SW fan, and a casual MMORPG player then wait 1 year before playing.

- If you are not a MMORPG player, but are a SW fan, wait 1 year, or even 2 years aka when the SE comes out before playing.

- If you are not a SW fan, and not a MMORPG player, then what are you doing here?

The SWG game DEVs posted in the same thread in the old SWG forums that had stated all of this and gave it a stamp of approval! Aka they fully agreed!

No one can say they were not warned. image

==========================================

Now, the subject of this here thread is a player who has started playing SWG right now, and is having fun in SWG right now. He is wondering where are all the problems. Almost all the problems were present during the first 4 months of SWG's release, as you have posted.

As of right now SWG is worth playing, and is not the same game it was in Beta, or during its first month of release, or even during its first 4 months of release. image

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by xplororor

In fact, in the old SWG forums, after the NDA was lifted, many respectable beta testers, as well as the SWG game DEVs theirselves, came out and said WAIT before buying the game.

I was in Beta and I remember the very frist day NDA was lifted...heck i think anyone would.  However, I do not recall a DEV coming out and say wait before buying this game. 

As of right now SWG is worth playing, and is not the same game it was in Beta, or during its first month of release, or even during its first 4 months of release.

Unless it has changed dramatically since December 26th, it sorta looked the same to me...instead of seeing a lotta pets running around, you just saw them with the PC on top of em.  The Vehicles were a rather nice addition...but not enough to keep me.

Player Cities wasn't all too great, Imo as well

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232

I agree with En1gma, I started my account up again in December to January and saw no major gameplay changes. The core game was still there, in all it's uneventful and staggeringly boring splendor. Has the game changed that much in 1 month?

You won't find me posting about SWG again as, frankly, I don't care anymore. Many interesting and great games are on the horizon and I will never return to SWG. I won't give SOE/Lucasarts another $15 just to see how the game is exactly the same as I left it.

MAKANE
    Lords of Stonekeep

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

From my 7 months of playing Galaxies, heres what I remember:

1. Bugs

2. Lack of fun things to do (OMG!!! Its a sarlacc pit that has poisonous fumes!!! Everyone run...ohhhh it really doesnt do anything...)

3. Jedi fever (HOLOCRONS FOR SALE GET YOUR HOLOS FOR SALE!!! ONLY 9 MILLION CREDITS!!!)

4. Nerfs

5. Free Holocrons (Yes, with an s. HOLOCRONS FOR SALE!!! 500k A PIECE! BECOME A JEDI FAST!!)

6. I remember playing a game, yet having no fun at all unless Im conversing with people I know

7. Pretty sweet emotes. I prided myself on emotes and this small factor exteded my fun times by .002 percent. Bless them.

8. If there is anything I missed, its because I have attempted to block this horrible memory from my brains

Dont worry though, Im only stating my hateful opinion. Im sure itll be good with another 6 big patches and then a space expansion which will start the process all over again.

Bottomline: Doesnt feel like Star Wars, doesnt taste like Star Wars, doesnt smell like Leia/Star Wars. *sniff* *sniff* ahhhhh thats good stuff!

• Originally posted by En1Gma

Originally posted by xplororor

I was in Beta and I remember the very frist day NDA was lifted...heck i think anyone would.  However, I do not recall a DEV coming out and say wait before buying this game. 

*looong sigh*

Re-read my quote that you quoted. I said in the old SWG F-O-R-U-M-S.

After the NDA was lifted there was no need for the Beta testers to be stuck posting only in the Beta Tester forums. And yes indeed there were TONS of threads in the old Official PUBLIC SWG forums by many Beta testers giving their opinions on SWG before release. One of the most well posted ones was by a poster named MAD DOG (If I remember his name correctly). He was not emotional, he just said everything like it was. He went in to ultra detail about every single profession, and part of SWG before release. Raph Koster, the lead game DEV, then posted in his thread saying something to the effect of "Thank you very much Mad Dog! Well said, I couldn't have said it better!".

This ment the SWG game DEVs supported all the positive things Mad Dog said, as well as the not so positive things..... including the scale Mad Dog posted on if and when players should play SWG.

In addition the SWG game DEVs asked players to make a petition for SONY to see to postpone the release of SWG. SWG fans rallied and got SWG postponed for..... 1 month. The SWG game DEVs posted another post lamenting on how they wished more time could be spent on SWG before release, but that SONY giving 1 month was better than nothing. They theirselves posted and said SWG was not as ready as they wanted it to be for release.

As of right now SWG is worth playing, and is not the same game it was in Beta, or during its first month of release, or even during its first 4 months of release.

Unless it has changed dramatically since December 26th, it sorta looked the same to me...instead of seeing a lotta pets running around, you just saw them with the PC on top of em.  The Vehicles were a rather nice addition...but not enough to keep me.

Player Cities wasn't all too great, Imo as well

And that is your opinion. 100,000 to 300,000 to 330,000 players have a different opinon than yours. image image image

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• EnticoEntico Member Posts: 107

100,000 to 300,000 to 330,000 players

That number is actually quite accurate if you want to talk about number of people who quit SWG after 6 months.

To answer original question, you missed what those nearly 300k people did not miss, utter boredoom and long yawning sesion with SWG.

==============================
    And besides, like it or not, people do try to "win" massively multiplayer RPGs. The rules of engagement are something like this:
    * If there is a status bar, make it grow bigger
    * If there is a number, make it higher
    * If it moves, either get a mission from it or kill it

==============================
    And besides, like it or not, people do try to "win" massively multiplayer RPGs. The rules of engagement are something like this:
    * If there is a status bar, make it grow bigger
    * If there is a number, make it higher
    * If it moves, either get a mission from it or kill it

• Originally posted by Entico

100,000 to 300,000 to 330,000 players

That number is actually quite accurate if you want to talk about number of people who quit SWG after 6 months.

Riiight, 95% of all players quit playing SWG in the past 2 months LOL. image

You do not like SWG. No problem. Do not continue to play it. Find another MMORPG to play. Find another MMORPG forum to be your home. You will not be missed. You will not influence SWG to stop being a successfull MMORPG.

SWG IS a successfull MMORPG. SWG for the hundreds of thousands of players who play it is a fun, enjoyable, game.

To answer original question, you missed what those nearly 300k people did not miss, utter boredoom and long yawning sesion with SWG.

There are roughly 20,000 different posters on the entire SWG official forums. Counting all the server forums, as well as dev forums. There are hundreds to thousands of PA's (Player Associations).

If 300,000 players quit playing SWG during the past 2 months there would be roughly 30,000 players left, with roughly 10 to 15,000 players online and roughly 700 players online on each server LOLOL. The PA's on each server easily have more than 700 members total LOL!

It is your SWG-hating opinion vs the press, the fact you do not currently play SWG, the fact SWG has been adding more new servers, vs what SONY has posted, vs what LucasArts has posted, vs the fact I and my PA and the PA's on my server all easily number more than 1,000 members and 99% of all members have not quit playing.

SWG is still a growing game. SWG is a bona fid success. You do not like SWG. No problem. Do not continue playing SWG. Find another MMORPG. End of story. Why are you still here bashing SWG?

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• arctikarctik Member Posts: 4

though this poll may seem a bit whimsical, I do really want to know how many people here are bashing swg and how many are not, and also i realize the option "I do not bash swg, b/c i am busy playing another game and honestly dont care" will not likely get any posts because if they honestly fit that, they wouldnt be in the forum, but if one happens by they will have an option that fits.