Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me whats soo good about this game!

steelzsteelz Member Posts: 8

Hi, I recently bought UO and found the game to be completely stupid, just my opinion from what ive seen and I havent played very long. I'm not trashin the game but there 2d and 3d graphics for that matter are completely horrible, you look like a complete cheez ball in your paper doll (no armor could help ya). There are no maps to tell u where ur goin or what city ur even in, I now experienced players know but not noobs (Noobs would be lost like I was). Gaining skills is dumb. Leveling is much better, it makes u feel like your actually moving further in the game and it makes u way more excited when u move up a lvl rather then to gain a couple points in a skill. I dont know maybe I didnt play the game long enough to give it a chance but compared to games like EQ and DAoC I just got bored with this game very fast. Please anyone with a response let me hear it, like i said before im not trashin this game just tell me why u like this game and what is soo good about it. Help me to understand.::::37::

Comments

• steelzsteelz Member Posts: 8

Oh I forgot to mention UXO looks unbelievable and I cant wait till that comes out!! ::::28::

• LoioshLoiosh Member Posts: 12
    In my opinion the skill system of UO is the best.   I hate leveling shit....   In UO if you attack someone, you have no idea if they're 7x gm (Grandmaster = 100%skill ) or something.    Leveling games blizow, they just turn into leveling treadmills...    Also, UO is the shit (or at least used to be) because there are no classes.... people just pick the skills they want to use and gain higher skill by repetition of use.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    another thing i love about uo.. you can have a char thats like 15 mins old and already start killing people, what other game can you really do that in? mmorpg wise anyway

• lodossmanlodossman Member Posts: 31

I don't think graphics are too bad. It is just a game, like all the other 40,000. They are just to occupy.

But if I may put in my two cents, the worst part of UO is PVP. It is unfair, seeing to how you finally save up 20000 for a Great Sword (new thing) and all of a sudden, get it stolen

having your stuff stolen has nothing to do with pvp so that didnt make any sence, the pvp in uo is fast paced and fun if you ask me

Originally posted by digitydarkman
    having your stuff stolen has nothing to do with pvp so that didnt make any sence, the pvp in uo is fast paced and fun if you ask me

Getting your items looted from you has everything to do with PVP. All PVP is, is kill and loot, kill and loot. Oh, and if PVP is so fun in UO shards, why do I see  SO MANY people in non-pvp shards, and like only 20 people in pvp shards?

• Nazgul11Nazgul11 Member Posts: 56
    If you dont want your items stolen, do't going to Fel with them or insure them. Is it that hard? So dont complain about your stupid mistakes.image

I am Become Death, The Destroyer of Worlds.

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773
    UO used to kick some bad ass. But it sucks now. Just wait for UXO or Lineage II.

Sir Sven

• TMcCTMcC Member Posts: 218

I had an awesome theif in UO on the gl shard and I had some awesome steals...best ever was a bag of checks equaling 7 mill i think. At any rate a good theif never has items stolen from them....so if ur good and use all your skills on a character thats not a theif you should be fine...if u suck or you are just stupid you will lose your most prized pocessions. Its not hard just think before you act.

• snyggdiasnyggdia Member Posts: 1

It absolutely rocks... To be a fantasy live chat, as a game the graphics suxx and the game is old.

So you have bought the most expensive fantasy chat program in man kind image

To Old

To Old

Nazgull, you know nothing, please stop talking. A PVP shard is PVP anywhere, Britain, Moonglow, Brit bank, brit graveyard. So now what is your excuse for that? imageimageimage

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

funny, 20 ppl? hrm, i play on a player run one, and it averages 500 ppl + at all times, and the other that i dont play on anymore averaged 1000ppl + at all times, seems like youre mistaken there bud.

As for pvp, if you suck or youre a moron, youll get killed, and your stuff looted, i mean would you go into East NY (for those not from NYC, its one of the worst neighborhoods) in a 750 BMW, wearing gold and platinum, and holding a briefcase of cash? I dont think so, so why should you eb able to do it in some gangster (as in of poor quality) MMOG i.e. DAOC. it doesnt make sense. Also, its not about the weapons, I can kill you with a newb katana, and you can have a winderful new set of armour, but if you suck, you die. Simple.

-------

--==::: The Shadow Order :::==--

Seeking People Devoted to Thievery, Brigandeering, Piracy, Necromancy,
    Crafting, Pillaging, Merchandising, Smuggling, the Dark Arts, well you get the point.

Currently Recruiting: Dark and Light / UO (Metropolis Shard) / Wish Beta / Lejendary Adventure

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• TMcCTMcC Member Posts: 218
    well put dude.......noobies are noobies know matter what you tell them. These non pvpers can talk all the smack they want but dont bitch when we catch up with u and crush u.imageimageimage

• steelzsteelz Member Posts: 8

OK so I started this topic to find out about this game and why ppl play it and all I heard was ppl talkin about the pvp aspect of the game and how they love killin noobs that dont know how to insure there stuff and thieving their stuff. I guess this game really does suk like I said except to those that get there kicks off of doing the above. ::::38::

Originally posted by lodossman

Getting your items looted from you has everything to do with PVP. All PVP is, is kill and loot, kill and loot. Oh, and if PVP is so fun in UO shards, why do I see  SO MANY people in non-pvp shards, and like only 20 people in pvp shards?

well sure if you run around with all your items youll lose them, but dont be an idiot you knew what i was talking about its not like you carry 15 vanq weps on you at all times or anything so not like losing a gm kat or something is a big deal

Member Of The Activision Visioneer Program

• ShineyShiney Member Posts: 19

howdies image

it would be nice if somebody could in a more developped way answer the original question :)

instead of throwing noobs around image

hehe image

I'm trully curious to hear about this game. I kinda missed it when it came out and now considering giving it a go.

cheers

S.

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339

I haven't played this game in like 2 years and I know a lot has changed, but if it's even remotely like it used to be then it's great.

One thing: You can't judge this game after playing a small amount You have to play a while. Raising skills by doing is funner to me, plus you can raise them with your friends by casting/hitting each other.

As for it being hard to find your way. I have to disagree there. There is a radar you can use and maps you can buy from the store (and actually plenty of maps by now, try searching for UOAutoMap). Plus theres runes and a recall (like a teleportation) spell to go to places.  But most importantly the Roads in UO are unrivaled. Theres signs to every town and all you have to do is follow the road. Not like DAOC where you take a road to nowhere or hop on a lame taxi and eat a sandwich. Speaking of sandwhiches... The combat system in UO is a million times better than this sandwich combat in EQ and its Clone's systems.

In UO, you have to make allies. It's probably good to join a guild and they can show you the ropes.

Bottom line: UO has a steep learning curve, but if you can learn it then you are in for the best mmorpg ever made. I played it for like 4 years and loved it, but even the best games get old after that long. Now I'm just lurking the mmorpg community waiting for a game that comes even close to the innovation that UO had.

• Zombie-FZombie-F Member Posts: 12

To answer the original question, I love the game because of its simplicity (once you're familiar with the system).  I was a player of this game for about 4 years from launch on, and then had a lapse where I just lost interest.  A friend recently rekindled my interest init and now I use it as an escape from SWG.  SWG is great and all, but the complexity of the crafting system gets a little daunting at times, so while I'm busy harvesting rare minerals, or my factories are churning out Blaster Power Handlers, I play UO.

A poster above said there's a steep learning curve, and he's right... there is.  But once you get the hang of it, the game is a peace of cake.  Also, if you're not a fan of mandatory PvP, then avoid the Felucca version of Britannia that's on each shard and opt to play in Trammel as its much safer.

However, if you don't like games that have a skill-based system over a levelling system, this is NOT the game for you.  You should stick to Everquest.

UO is dated, but still a good time IMO.

--Zombie-F
    Badass Universe

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339

Anyone heard of In Por Yelm (www.wtfman.com/shard)?

It's a free Player Run shard and you can download the UO Client (just click Join on that site and it'll give you directions). It's a clone of UO in 1998/99, which were some of it's best years. It's the UO that I remember and the one that I would recommend to you. I'm even about to make an account there after not playing for such a long time.

I usually dislike player run shards because of corruption/lack of players, but this one has a well known staff and 1000+ players on at one time, which I find amazing.

Now that shard looks sweet.  Too bad my attempts at pinging that server were met with timeouts.  I'll try again later though.  Looks like I may cancel my account sooner than expected. 

--Zombie-F
    Badass Universe

--Zombie-F
    Badass Universe

So, despite my failed attempt at pinging their server, I decided to give it a try anyway.  I gotta say, the guy that runs this server should work for OSI.  He certainly understands you can't buckle to the every want/need of the players because it ruins the game by making it an unchallenging mess.  Thumbs up to this server.

My only gripe is the 30 second pause to save game data that occurs every 30 mins.  It's worth it though, because otherwise you could lose ALOT of data if the server crashes without the saves.  Old school UOers should definitely check this player-run server out.

--Zombie-F
    Badass Universe

--Zombie-F
    Badass Universe

• Nazgul11Nazgul11 Member Posts: 56
    lodossman, what are you talken about? I have no idea what your talking about.image Please explain your post to me.

I am Become Death, The Destroyer of Worlds.

• 0Avatar00Avatar0 Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by jamigre
    As for pvp, if you suck or youre a moron, youll get killed, and your stuff looted, i mean would you go into East NY (for those not from NYC, its one of the worst neighborhoods) in a 750 BMW, wearing gold and platinum, and holding a briefcase of cash? I dont think so, so why should you eb able to do it in some gangster (as in of poor quality) MMOG i.e. DAOC. it doesnt make sense. Also, its not about the weapons, I can kill you with a newb katana, and you can have a winderful new set of armour, but if you suck, you die. Simple.

HAHA thats y i love UO.....it takes TRUE skillz to pvp image[i am talking about IPY or any server like that] jamigre i gonna drink 1 fo ya  image then kill some peeps

-=The Avatar=-

Blah blah blah......

• FallenDeaconFallenDeacon Member Posts: 5
    UO Sucks now, and UXO is gonna suck just as bad... This was a great game when Lord British still ran it, too bad you weren't around for those days. The MMO market will probably never see another game as classic and intuitive as Old School UO.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

I used to think graphics were the mark of a good game too.... and then i played SWG.

Matt

- SWG is shit - That's official.