Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing EVE…some noob questions

LummoxLummox Member Posts: 32

Thinking about trying Eve Online.  I’ve read through a lot of reviews and website material.  But I haven’t seen much about what happens when you die / ship is destroyed.

-Do you loose all the gear you got and have to start over?

-Does insurance (or something) re-emburse you so you get (almost) the same ship and  equipment back?

Just to give you a reference I’ve played several of MMORPGs, most recently WOW, Planetside, UO, EQ….

For Anyone that has played World of Warcraft, what is the “Thottbot” equivalent?

Any sites I should go to for player guides and others stuff?

Lastly, anyone part of a guild or cooperation that would tolerate a noob to the Eve world.  Willing to participate most guild events.  Would make any event (eve late week nights on occasions), but with work I would like to not be kicked for saying “no” now and then.  Would be looking for  a "guide" (someone to hold hand, not give out ISK) for the first few weeks.

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Lummox

Thinking about trying Eve Online.  I’ve read through a lot of reviews and website material. 
    But I haven’t seen much about what happens when you die / ship is destroyed.

-Do you loose all the gear you got and have to start over?

-Does insurance (or something) re-emburse you so you get (almost) the same ship and  equipment back?

Just to give you a reference I’ve played several of MMORPGs, most recently WOW, Planetside, UO, EQ….

For Anyone that has played World of Warcraft, what is the “Thottbot” equivalent?

Any sites I should go to for player guides and others stuff?

Lastly, anyone part of a guild or cooperation that would tolerate a noob to the Eve world.  Willing to participate most guild events. 
    Would make any event (eve late week nights on occasions), but with work I would like to not be kicked for saying “no” now and then.  Would be looking for  a "guide" (someone to hold hand, not give out ISK) for the first few weeks.

1) Since you played UO it is really easy to explain. Same thing happens as what happened to UO when you die. There are some minor differences. One is that some modules you had on your ship get destroyed. Two is the insurance, there are different levels. The highest level of insurance will cost around 30% of the ships cost and on destruction will pay around 110% of ships cost. So in the grand scheme of things you will loose only 20% + module cost of your investment. Modules are much like crafted items in UO as well, there are some items that are very rare and very expensive but every day common gear is cheap and highly accessible.

2)Thottbot equivalent would be EVE-Online, they got items section that that lists most of the items that are in game. There are also a lot of 3rd party programs that will help you properly fit your ship.

3)Guides can be found on EVE-Online (New Player Section I believe) there is also a guide in a sticky on this site.

4) Lot of corporations are willing to accept new people, you cant expect to get into a very good once right away but into smaller corp where you can learn the game and interact with some people. Most of the time people very understanding about RL issues and responsibilities I have never had a problem when I had to skip a corp. op. because I had to do something else or becuase I was chilling with my RL friends.
  • LummoxLummox Member Posts: 32

First off, thanks for the really good responses. 

It’s been a while since I’ve done it like UO. I assume if one blows up a ship they can reap some rewards.

Also, in reference to…

Originally posted by Urza123

2)Thottbot equivalent would be EVE-Online, they got items section that that lists most of the items that are in game. There are also a lot of 3rd party programs that will help you properly fit your ship.

I was more referring to the quest guide, is this on Eve-Online as well or are the quests/missions self explanatory.  I hated some of the quests in WOW which wanted you to find a object that was “somewhere in the desert”.

First off, thanks for the really good responses. 
    It’s been a while since I’ve done it like UO. I assume if one blows up a ship they can reap some rewards.

Also, in reference to…

Originally posted by Urza123

I was more referring to the quest guide, is this on Eve-Online as well or are the quests/missions self explanatory.  I hated some of the quests in WOW which wanted you to find a object that was “somewhere in the desert”.

Well the only quests there are are missions, they are really not that complex but you can find inforamtion on them and a lot of other things on www.eveinfo.com. EVE is much a sandbox like UO was, so missions are means to the end not the othe way around.

edit: link corrected

Thanks again.

One last thing before I have to go out.  I was expecting servers (various independent universes).

Is there only one universe?

Thanks again.

One last thing before I have to go out.  I was expecting servers (various independent universes).

Is there only one universe?

EVE is a single massive universe. All people play on the same server, that is the beauty of it. Usual population at peaks is about 25 - 30k and lows it is about 12 - 15k ppl on at the same time. However size of EVE is staggering.

Wow.

Now that I have never heard of. 

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    It's just one other unique experience that EVE has to offer.

-iCeh

Ok sorry more noob questions. This is the height of all noobness.

Which Eve do I buy?  Theres 2nd Gensis, Castor, Exodus, Cold War, Red Moon Rising.  Can I buy one or do I have to buy all?

(I am sure someone is thinking, why buy just subscribe and you get access to all {not sure if true}.  Traditionally, yes MMORPGs can be downloaded and played, however, they always have some problems.  When encountered, the solution to these problems is always {YES ALWAYS} “by the Cdroms”.)

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Ok sorry more noob questions. This is the height of all noobness.

Which Eve do I buy?  Theres 2nd Gensis, Castor, Exodus, Cold War, Red Moon Rising.  Can I buy one or do I have to buy all?

(I am sure someone is thinking, why buy just subscribe and you get access to all {not sure if true}.  Traditionally, yes MMORPGs can be downloaded and played, however, they always have some problems.  When encountered, the solution to these problems is always {YES ALWAYS} “by the Cdroms”.)

If you haven't tried out the trial yet (i'm guessing you haven't :D) then click here to download the free trial, once you go through that you'll be all set and there's nothing more to download.

-iCeh

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    There were cd's for sale when Eve first started, but I wouldn't use them to load the game. Way too many expansions and patches since the cd's were released. The only use the cd's would have would be to get the cd-key off a new box and use it for a free month (after the trial). The free trial download is the same version everyone plays because all expansions are free  so everyone plays by the same rules. The digital download is always the most recent version of the game and frankly it's the only viable option you have.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

as all play on the same server and all content are the same for all.
    You get the most current eve client /game here
    Not in a shop on the town

Thanks a lot. Yep I am doing the 14-day trail now.

Just ran into problems with non-CDrom based play in the past.