Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has SWG destroyed your love for games?

13»

Comments

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Originally posted by daeandor

Originally posted by wolfmann
    Actually if they rolled a server back to day 7 (so we get the patches that fixed the launchday crashes), I would be there in a heartbeat, despite knowing that Commando would have a hard time getting XP for anything, as the only commando weapon working was the launcher pistol with a max damage of 20.
    To be honest wolfmann, I loved comando in those days too, but preferred it when they finally got our flamethrowers working. I think around publish 5 we were working quite well. IIRC we were on the verge of becoming FOTM then, but still, they were good days. One thing that I kicked myself for post-NGE was that I never reground Master Commando once badges were introduced. To this day, my first mastered elite profession goes unrecognized.

Flamethrowers were cool and all, but they also became the death of the Commando.

When did the guy who carries the SAW/MG-3/M-60/whatever MG they use in a infantry squad become a Commando? Thats what Commando became when the vision of Commando was lost in all the childrens cheer for "wohoo! WE'RE RAMBO! I l337 Commando Rambo!".

It's a crying shame when you know that Commandos in the Star Wars saga/lore/knowledge/canon(even), were based on real Commandos, like those that blew up german planes on the runway in Libya(ww2), or blew up the heavy water facility in Telemark (WW2, Norway).

Did you see the Endor Commandos carry flamethrowers, and bumrush the enemy? No, they landed secludedly on the planet and tried to sneak to the enemy base to do their Commando job. And thats how it is in the books too. Commandos working in small squads, doing their job of winning the war, behind enemy lines or on the frontline.

That was the concept of Commando.

Now they are Rambo with a flamethrower...err, Lavathrower.

Only the name is Commando, the rest is that lowly machineguner of that lowly infantry squad, who believes he's Rambo.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    Games? Not really, but I'll tell you what I really don't care for anymore... STAR WARS.

I'm serious, after the both the CU and NGE, my interest in Star Wars went to almost zero. When I went to see the last movie, all I could think was, "Man, I'd like one of those ARC-170's. Too bad the quest AND the reward is bugged all to hell."

After the NGE, I didn't even want to LOOK at anything Star Wars. I just didn't care, and it's taken me the better part of a year to build up my interest again in the universe that used to be my favorite playground.

Screw it. I'm gonna go play KotoR I again...at least that games works, is fun, and actually feels like Star Wars.

• NetzzNetzz Member Posts: 39

I actually owe SOE a debt of grattitude for killing off SWG, and my gaming addiction of almost 3 years.

I bought some new music gear, and have been producing music again as a hobby, and it's been much more satisfying a pastime.

Unfortunately, it didn't cure my wife, she's hooked on Guild Wars now........oh well, it's cheaper than other hobbies she could have.

Anyway,

THANKS SOE.

I'm CURED FOR LIFE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by wolfmann

That was the concept of Commando.

Now they are Rambo with a flamethrower...err, Lavathrower.

Only the name is Commando, the rest is that lowly machineguner of that lowly infantry squad, who believes he's Rambo.

I cut the above quote to save some space.

TBH, the reason I liked Commando with a FT was that the tradeoff was getting close.  Once they got our DOT working, you are right, we became FOTM type class.  Initially, when things first got working at a decent rate, it was really fun.  What a blast it was using the consumables like the RL, beam cannon, etc.  And now... commando is... well crap compaired to what it should be.  Honestly, if I never see that lavacannon animation again, I will be happy.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by zipit

There are so many people who lament the ongoing death of SWG. My question turns toward that bitterness and sense of loss. Do you guys feel that after the CU/NGE  "Night of the Long Knives" changes that you just can't seem to enjoy other games be they single or MMO.
    Yes you can go play great singleplayer games, but after some time you realize you want human interaction, not AI one-way interaction. You find yourself playing WoW and realize how much greater pre-CU was. You play ffp games over the net and get bored within the first 10 minutes.

As for myself I just can't seem to enjoy other games because I keep thinking back and comparing these games to what I had. I guess this is way I visit this site from time to time...

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this is mine"
     Dritzz Darkwood rifleman/Doc Corbantis

Honest? No. It's a learning thing and under my belt but all the MMO's I have tried since I can say I respected for what they were. It destroyed my respect for SOE and LAE but even that is repairable. They will never do it but a classic would draw me back. Many would say I am an idiot for that but that's the truth as I see it. Not a real issue, they won't run classic but all in all I can find more intelligent things to hold a grudge on than a game.
  • genevisagenevisa Member Posts: 27

for mmorpg's : NO (i think when you have tasted them and liked it you can' t stop ::::01:: )
    for star wars and sony : YES

my history of online gaming : diablo2 , anarchy, swg pre-cu, eve (short), and wow (pvp-server).
    of course wow isn't as good as swg pre-cu, no discussion here and if anything interesting for me comes out i will leave wow without a tear, but atm i can play it with my friends and we have fun.
    (and if i only keep subscribed to wow to annoy SOE ::::02:: )

for the arguement that pre-cu was inbalanced and flawed : was it beyond repair ?

does any other company, when something in their game needs adjustment, say : ok, lets make a cu, nge, ... don't know exactly how soe calls it nowadays, chapter ?
    imagine blizzard saying " ohh, our game needs balance and fresh blood, maybe we get some eve- players if we change our system ...... bizarre.

wow doesn't betray me; it is what it is

but i see the the problems to find another mmorpg for players that aren't much in combat and want crafting and socializing and being unique : that's what i really miss.

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926
    Nope it hasn't even found another place to be for now. However what it did do is stop me from betaing everything which was something i always enjoyed doing before. I just do not have the gumption to deal with all the same arguments over and over anymore.