Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has SWG destroyed your love for games?

zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

There are so many people who lament the ongoing death of SWG. My question turns toward that bitterness and sense of loss. Do you guys feel that after the CU/NGE  "Night of the Long Knives" changes that you just can't seem to enjoy other games be they single or MMO.

Yes you can go play great singleplayer games, but after some time you realize you want human interaction, not AI one-way interaction. You find yourself playing WoW and realize how much greater pre-CU was. You play ffp games over the net and get bored within the first 10 minutes.

As for myself I just can't seem to enjoy other games because I keep thinking back and comparing these games to what I had. I guess this is way I visit this site from time to time...

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this is mine"

Dritzz Darkwood rifleman/Doc Corbantis

Comments

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Nah.  A gamer isn't undone so easily.  I do compare all mmorpgs to SWG as it was, not as it is.  Nothing can touch what it was just for sheer variety and choices of things to do.  They have managed to shoebox current players into a game trough and you have to follow the flow down to the drain and beyond.

Gaming generally, good new stuff out-I bought Prey and will try it this weekend.  Talk about a long development cycle mmpph.  I play Elder Scrolls Oblivion daily. Gothic 3 and the White Council (EA) sound like good sandboxey stand alone games, and NWN2 is on the horizon.

I have WOW and EQ2 but they are so far such grind fests of kill 5 of these go kill 10 of those...agh I can't take it for long.  I will say even the Legacy quests give you a bit of a variation on that theme.

Still thinking good things for LOTRO though the community makes you want to run screaming.  The game itself I expect to be solid. 

The mmorpg world needs Bioware to come out and say what they're working on to give us a glimmer of hope.

LA needs to take Galaxies back for themselves and work with it.  Thats it.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    Not gaming in general. I still like some single player games. I have found that I no longer enjoy MMO's that much. I don't know if it's the quality or content (or both) of other games but no other MMO captured me quite like the classic SWG did. Hopefully that will change at some point. Maybe LOTR:Online ot Star Trek Online will get me back into it again. I guess only time will tell.
  • ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

I haven't found a MMO yet to replace SWG.  Most of my guildmates from SWG are in the same boat. Not sure if that means SOE has ruined it for me or if I just don't like anything that I have tried so far.

I will admit I am must less willing to commit to a MMO, if there is any small thing that makes me believe there is a risk that the game will fundamentally change the way SWG did.  For example, SOE's relationship with Vanguard is enough for me to say, hey its just not the woth the risk that they will end up mucking up the game after me having put years worth of effort in.

Mostly been playing Xbox 360 games and PC strategy games.  Hasn't really effected that.

• NiksenNiksen Member Posts: 66

I have been trying a bunch of mmorpgs since CU, i quickly cancelled them all.

I think the thing i miss so much from swg is the sandbox concept.

Now im playing rise of legends. a nice game but i am thinking about SWG alot...stilll.

it amazes me how SWG could be so important to me. and looking at the forums, to others.

brgds

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416
    I cannot enjoy any mmorpg game since NGE. I think it's because the sad loss of the little friends community I had there. I feel like I don't want to do more online friends in any game I go.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Occasionally I'll spend time thinking about how much potential the pre-CU had, but then I remember the actual game experience. If anything, SWG reminded me to play an mmo for what it is 'today', not what it might be.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• broadzillabroadzilla Member Posts: 73
    Since the NGE I haven't found another game to replace SWG, I've done tons of free trials and just end up logging out in boredom.
  • VastarVastar Member Posts: 176
     I've had increasingly less interest in single player games since UO started. I've got little interest in other MMORPGs since SWG died. Part of it is because I hate to bother with a game for fear of it sucking half way in like SWG. The other part is that what's out there right now is just pretty lame overall. Everything has either no player housing, no player run economly, lame ass level systems rather than a skill based setup, no PvP (be that direct combat PvP or otherwise), support for real money transfers to in-game goods or something that just makes me disinterested. Also I've seen a few that must think tedium equals depth.

I dunno, I'd *really* be up for trying a good MMORPG again but one needs to be created first.

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

I think just playing pre-CU SWG I developed a "no-care" attitude for single player games.  Then when the CU hit, I tried out Eve Online, City of Heroes, Saga of Ryzom, Everquest II, MxO.....yawn. 

I thought Eve Online and Everquest II had a certain level of quality...they are "pretty".  But play for any time at all and a sense of pointlessness creeps in for me.  Eve seems like it should be renamed EverGrind, and as far as Everquest II was concerned, it was doomed from the beginning due to my anti-Fantasy game bias and my anti-SOE bias.

Eve is really frustrating to me.  Go to their website and there are all these fantastic tales and storylines that are so well written.  Get in the game and it is totally absent.  The four races become meaningless because all you see are ships really.  Get a ground game guys. 

Despite our opinions that GCW is lacking in SWG, it is FAR better than Eve's integration of their own backstory.  When I play SWG I still feel I am there; playing Eve feels like you are playing a game on a computer...nothing more.

CoH was a massive grind as well.  No crafting?  I want to build things.

Single player games - Star Wars Battlefront II - EA FIFA 2006 - Star Wars III on X-Box.  I just cannot get into Battlefront I or II.  Running around blowing away or getting blown away in seconds just does not excite me after MMORPGs. 

FIFA 2006, I have spent many hours playing it.  You can consider building your team through trades and scouting as crafting.  As such it is semi-satisfying.  Game play gets repetitive (which the game of Football/Soccer can be).  But the most irritating aspect of that game is the frequency of late in the half goals where you suddenly lose control of your defender and the other team scores. 

I'm not one to enjoy pre-determination.  If EA has determined you are going to lose the game, nothing you do will stop them.  I'm beginning to really hate the game.  Why do developers resort to the invisible wall tactic, or sudden retardedness technique to "even the score"?  I would rather trounce the other team if I am superior...I don't think making my guys slow and sluggish to make the score closer is "MORE FUN". 

Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith was a good 3 or 4 time play, but honestly suffered from NGE-itis as well.  Click....click....click...click...click... > think and click strategically.

I could rant on forever about how I think the Marketing Pukes at the game companies are ruining everything by dumbing it all down.  I'll just leave this message with that statement.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631
    The only thing swg destroyed was my trust in SOE. I will never play another soe game again whether it's "just" being published by them or actually developed by them.

For the Horde!

• TonkatsuTonkatsu Member Posts: 53
    JrScott, if you want a more enjoyable soccer game, I suggest picking up a copy of Konami's Winning Eleven series of games, both the AI and player control are far superior to any version of FIFA I've played.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Actually it kind of has......

I have lost my taste for MMORPGs because of it. When I first played SWG at release I couldnt get over how much better the systems and style they used were than the games I had previously played (EQ, DAOC, AO).

After playing a skill based sandbox style game where I could be anything I wanted and compete with anyone I got spoiled. i simply can not get myself to go back to the same old level grind with the cookie cutter classes and no imagination or individuality, I long for a time when we grouped and used strategy to hunt. Before the buffs, armor, hologrinding and uber jedi. Back when the game was pure.

If I cant have that then I dont want anything.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Sort of.

Since the NGE, I haven't been able to find anything worth while to Play. I sort of ended up drifting around, Attempting to find things. I picked up KOTOR II, which was good for about 3 weeks until I beat it about 3 times. I then drifted back through all the games I have, (Battlefront I, Splinter Cell, KOTOR I, Halo, Stuff like that)  I Played them all over again, never for more than a week and usually less. I tried DnL. We know how that went. No other MMOs could even make me interested enough to try them out.

Then I picked up BF2, Which got me playing that for a while. I still play that, but it is starting to feel Stale, and I play less and less with each week. Now, the only thing my computer does besides BF2 is the Internet (Of course) and IMing with friends and Fellow SWGers. I don't know if I'll even ever return to MMOs, But StarGate:Worlds looks promising, If only because its about Stargate, and I plan on trying the E**. Other than That, I don't really know. The NGE screwed things up for me a lot, just like the rest of us.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My enjoyment in gaming didn't begin with SWG , Why would it end with it ?

It is also not the first Star Wars game , that has failed to fully grasp the IP . Some have been far worse as far as gameplay goes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by zipit

There are so many people who lament the ongoing death of SWG. My question turns toward that bitterness and sense of loss. Do you guys feel that after the CU/NGE  "Night of the Long Knives" changes that you just can't seem to enjoy other games be they single or MMO.
    Yes you can go play great singleplayer games, but after some time you realize you want human interaction, not AI one-way interaction. You find yourself playing WoW and realize how much greater pre-CU was. You play ffp games over the net and get bored within the first 10 minutes.

As for myself I just can't seem to enjoy other games because I keep thinking back and comparing these games to what I had. I guess this is way I visit this site from time to time...

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this is mine"
     Dritzz Darkwood rifleman/Doc Corbantis

May have grinded with you back in the time KYLIX/VOODOO corbantis:

Back on topic SOE/LA could never stop me playing games - but what they have done as a consequence is stopped me paying a monthly fee to them .

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by keltic1701
    Not gaming in general. I still like some single player games. I have found that I no longer enjoy MMO's that much. I don't know if it's the quality or content (or both) of other games but no other MMO captured me quite like the classic SWG did. Hopefully that will change at some point. Maybe LOTR:Online ot Star Trek Online will get me back into it again. I guess only time will tell.

That is my current situation as well.  I just can't seem to get into MMOs anymore.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    It's really ruined me for other MMO's. Haven't found one near as fun.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• helios_soehelios_soe Member Posts: 8

sorry for my english

Indeed
    But not a good gamer myself,actually i never play game at my computer:)
    Swg was my first real mmorpg and game experience:) , I fall in love with pre-cu, most entertainin was crafting with my master doctor and buffing people. There was a big commmunity back than I could sit 5-6 hours buffing people while chatting joking tipping newbies some creds etc... at mop and had soooo muchhhhhhh FUN. Once i had a total 82 pep in line for buff at coronet!:) It was my record a jedi gave me 500k for line break.

Yeah if a nge fanboi coud see that he would have heart attack:) You couldnt walk in major cities it was that crowded year 2004.

I wasnt iconic or star wasrsy character:) but i had a role in community rangers were hunting for me , grinders were hunting for me, poor were selling their resources to me, I was making buff for jedi grinders, selling them back their shit:) Jedi bowing me begging me for a rez...If i need a loot i pay someone to kill the boss and get for me. I never used a gun!:)never had to i was rich i could hire a group to hunt meat for me:P

If a BH goes after my unfinished temp jedi friend, i was paying the bh triple the price to get lost:) I think this means roleplay:)

I tried wow-silkrod-AO deleted after 1 hour. Tried fps games like bf2 died 50 times without killing anybody:) I dont have talent to play action games.

What i want to say

People who dont love or very hard to get involve in games and a bit older like me LOVED PRE-CU SWG so much, young ones who growed up with counter strike stuff loves lienear;
    kill, loot, dont talk, pvp, action, repeat,if you have to talk talk trash wow-nge type mmorpg s .

I am sorry but we pre-cu lovers seem like minority in this business.

• thamatharthamathar Member UncommonPosts: 103

yes the way that SWG whent ( NGE ) destroy my way to see MMO. I compair all the MMO that i play to SWG, since i left SWG i have tryed about 5 to 6 MMO and cancel all of them because i realy miss SWG i have been thiking going to the stupid NGE but for what ? to play an game whit the Comunity destroyed ? lvl 1 lvl 2 ? for that i would play wow but realy wow is that good ? raid after raid after raid ? it sucks badly.

If SOE put clasic server's wheni see the oficial news i would buy the game again ( since i sold my acount ) and play it even the monthy fee was $25 i would play SWG Pre-CU.

Sorryt about my english

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

SWG made me into a smarter consumer of MMORPG's.  Sure I have lost a lot of trust in developers, but that lost trust has given me skepticism.

Now when I'm looking for a MMORPG I have certian rules before I buy and subscribe:

1- I will not subscribe to a MMORPG that has been out for fewer then 3 months (learned that from DnL actually).

2- I check the fanbased reviews and focus almost entirely with the negative ones.  If the negative reviews make good points I research them further.  If in that research I find their argument is valid, I do not buy.

3- I check the prior history of the developer and producer, if they have a bad history I will not buy the game. (Unless there is nothing but positve reviews writen about if for over 6 months, but then I will still only subscribe to a monthly plan).

4- I will not jump on to a MMORPG based on an IP (Starwars, Startrek, Stargate, LotR, ect), until it has proven its worth with a year of positive improvement.

5- I will not buy/subscribe to another SOE or LA product until I am given a partial refund for time not played on my yearly subscription for SWG.  That's my SOE/LA-MCR (SOE/LA- Monetary Contribution Requirement).

The SWG NGE debacle just made me a little bitter and wiser.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599
    I am in the same corner as Lilit and a few others on here meaning my R&R time with games hasn't been effected one bit however, my enthusiasm for SOE games is null and void.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

The NGE was my return to gaming across that board tactics.

Up until the NGE I pretty much only had time for SWG and maybe a couple others.   The NGE fixes that, it's been great I was able to spent my money on other things.. see some new games and get caught up on all kinds of crap.

In a way the NGE was good for making you do OTHER THINGS then playing that game... THANK YOU SOE, you suck so bad with SWG that I rather do laundry....  oh my.

Jokes aside the group I run around games with stuck together -- so that helped this all the same.

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Tonkatsu
    JrScott, if you want a more enjoyable soccer game, I suggest picking up a copy of Konami's Winning Eleven series of games, both the AI and player control are far superior to any version of FIFA I've played.

Thanks

FIFA 06 is plenty good....BUT.  If you know what I mean.  There are only so many times you are going to put up with hearing the announcer tell you how your shot missed while it is still heading towards the goal or seeing that certain goal thwarted by a sudden invisible hand, and the endless 89th minute goals on corner kicks because your defenseman ignored your command to clear upfield and blasted the ball over your own goal line.

----- Back to your normally scheduled SWG gripe/rumor session ----

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817
    After the old SWG, nothing else measures up anymore.  Everything else just lacks the depth and possibility.  It all seems so small, ugly and boring now.  Unless some major miracle happens, once I leave SWG, I'm prolly leaving gaming behind as well.  At least until somebody kicks the market in the jimmies hard enough to wake them up so that they start remembering that fun is more than kill-loot-repeat.

• FZR600RFZR600R Member Posts: 35
    It has, at least for the time being. From a gaming point of view I feel "drained" like I can't muster the effort to learn another game. I play some single player games but I rarely bother to finish them like I did in the past. It's just distraction for an hour or two. I guess I got spoiled by a game that despite it's flaws was magical and a dream come true  for a guy who grew up with the original trilogy.