Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWG pre-cu failed.

XhyronXhyron Member UncommonPosts: 40

Now, before the title fools you, believe me...  I hated the CU and ABSOLUTELY ABHOR the NGE with a complete and total passion, as the SWG which I left has only its equal in UO, which was also destroyed for me.  But,  let me give you my point of view on what led to subscription bleeding and the downfall of the pre-cu system we all loved.

First, let me say that the most fun I had in SWG was in the first 3 months of release.  Back when you actually had to work hard to earn the exp required for your profession and when it took a long time to actually master a profession.

1.> Doctor Buffs

First and foremost doc buffs destroyed the PRE-CU.  When you can buff your stats to the point of near invincibility VS NPCs/Mobs, this is going to no doubt lead to a problem.  It allowed people to master combat professions in 1 day if they were dedicated enough and macro programs destroyed the sanctity of crafting professions.  When I started playing on June 26th 2003, I WORKED MY ASS OFF mastering marksman/scout and getting the first box in bounty carbine and first two boxes into bounty pistol.  This was no small feat.  It took two weeks of crazed durni lairs and tabage missions and even going to Tyrena to avoid the mission stealers out and around Coronet.  When Corellia was not sufficient enough to gain experience anymore, myself and a close group of friends would head to Dantooine, back when NO ONE would go there for fear of death.  We would party up and kill huurtons/pikets/bols to gain our experience.  Our dedication gave us a HUGE advantage in GCW PvP and there are threads that were on the Intrepid board(that are still searchable believe it or not) about us and how we exploited/cheated/use at-st too much, etc.  This was back when Tatooine sunburns and muon gold were king for the quick 10 minute fix to dominate pvp, BUT did not make you near invincible like doctor buffs.  Smuggler spices(sad it was only 1) actually had a use and Tat sunburns were in high demand.  You actually had to watch your ham pools whether or not you were pvping or simplying fighting NPCs.  Armor did not mean much, no matter how good it was as you could not equip a full set of the best composite armor without being buffed to high heaven.  A composite helm and chest did the trick and was all you needed.  The game at this time was fun as well as challenging and the power of the doctor buffs completely ruined this early phase of the game.

2.>  Holocrons

Holocrons were a direct result of the devs thinking there were not enough Jedi unlocked after they were patched in and their IGNORANT way to get the SWG community to unlock more Jedi.  Guess what?.......          Holocrons + Doctor Buffs + Macroed Crafting = LOTS of Jedi going to get unlocked.  Little did they realize this and only after patches were put in to regulate unlocking to the 30th, 31st or 32nd profession did they come up with the even worse force sensitive village quest line.  This entire fiasco should have never occured and is a big part of what destroyed the game.

3.>  Jedi patch

The Jedi patch which took away the 3 death and you start over was the BIGGEST DAMN MISTAKE IN SWG HISTORY.  If you wanted to play a Jedi and feel safe, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING KoToR, NOT SWG.  This patch, even with its lenient exp loss system caused the Jedi population to flourish.  No longer were Jedi relegated to grinding on the furthest perimeters of odd planets, they were given the EZ button.  I was one of the first Jedi to unlock on my server and WHENEVER I played it, I was scared.  TRULY and GENUINELY scared.  I worried about the bounty hunter that may have seen a mission for me if I was careless.  I was scared of people seeing me fighting and taking advantage of my saber TEF.   I was really worried about dying, because if I died three times, it was the end of me(even at the rolling 1 death a month period).  This gave the Jedi profession meaning and kept most(not all) acting like actual Jedi would have during that time period...  Plus, there was no "starport jedi" problem.

4.>  Player Cities

Yes, player cities were a problem with SWG.  Housing was a great idea, but player cities took the veteran population of the game away from the cities such as Anchorhead, Moenia, and Bestine and put them in a guild/faction created city where new players could not/would not go(hence leading to newer players not picking up on the game and getting into it as we did).  No longer were there players faction missioning out of Anchorhead, Moenia or any of the smaller cities that used to flourish.  They went to a player created city and grinded faction in relative peace which led to the downfall of the GCW in a way.  Anchorhead(atleast on Intrepid) was a ghost town going into 2004 when it was a mecca for PvP for the first few months after release.  Houses sprouted up around major cities like Coronet and even smaller ones like Anchorhead.  This would have been sufficient to keep the population happy and merchants in business.  Player cities ruined my favorite part of the game.  Factional PvP.

5.>  Template Stackers

This would not have been a problem had the true bonuses for a profession been given in the master box instead of in less skillpoint costing trees in the actual profession itself.  Template stackers were nothing more than UO flavor of the month players using this to have an extreme advantage at 1 on 1 pvp.  Once again, giving out the best bonuses in the master box of an elite professions would have solved this problem yet not destroyed hybrid character mixes.

Well, this is what really screwed the game over for me.  I loved SWG the way it was, but it spiralled out of control into the mess that it is today.  Had common sense and simple fixes been implemented, it could have been the absolute best sandbox MMO ever.  Period.

RIP SWG - Spike Spiegel - Template stacking exploiting BH of Intrepid(you forced me to do it $oE)

Comments

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

1.> Doctor Buffs - Needed some tweaking.  When they balanced pets they brought down the creature stats on all the planets.  Then players started creating really great armor and buffs, and all the easy content on all the planets took away the challenge.  I think that they were well on there way to balancing this with the original CU.
    2.>  Holocrons - Jedi's should have been perma-overt.

3.>  Jedi patch - Same as 2
    4.>  Player Cities - There were beautiful buildings in each city that could have been used for apartments.  I agree here, they could have done something different.
    5.>  Template Stackers - I think that this was players just playing the game and looking for an upper hand.  I think they could have balanced it by making it a little harder to hit when moving for melee.  They were doing this also in the original CU.  Melee Stacker would have been difficult to hit but could be kited.

• XhyronXhyron Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Leel

4.>  Player Cities - There were beautiful buildings in each city that could have been used for apartments.  I agree here, they could have done something different.

EXACTLY.  I have said this EXACT SAME thing to my IRL friend who also played with me.  Coronet, Theed, etc were FILLED with buildings that could have been hollowed out and made into rentable apartments with different sizes/costs.  That would have made the whole problem moot.

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Xhyron

Originally posted by Leel

EXACTLY.  I have said this EXACT SAME thing to my IRL friend who also played with me.  Coronet, Theed, etc were FILLED with buildings that could have been hollowed out and made into rentable apartments with different sizes/costs.  That would have made the whole problem moot.

I think using the apartment approach you may not even have had to get rid of player cities, as a lot of players would have preferred them to PCs.  I see where you are coming from with PCs reducing PvP, but to be honest, a lot of us carebears that liked PCs never PvP'd either.  Maybe it is possible that PvPer's would have remained in the Big Cities..except Jedi of course who would run and hide in the Guild Halls and Cantinas

In SWGs most populated time on Ahazi, I could see a thriving number of player cities coexisting with the Apartment plan.  Perhaps we should have required houses to be placed in Player Cities and not the wilderness?  Like the Ring Cities around Theed and Coronet? 

I guess I see the PvP point, but don't.  Yes, some PvP players were drawn out of big cities, but why does the non-PvP player have to sacrifice their content as a result?  I think there just needed to be more incentive to go to a city like Coronet or Theed..tax breaks, etc..

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

2.>  Holocrons
    Holocrons were a direct result of the devs thinking there were not enough Jedi unlocked after they were patched in and their IGNORANT way to get the SWG community to unlock more Jedi.  Guess what?.......          Holocrons + Doctor Buffs + Macroed Crafting = LOTS of Jedi going to get unlocked.  Little did they realize this and only after patches were put in to regulate unlocking to the 30th, 31st or 32nd profession did they come up with the even worse force sensitive village quest line.  This entire fiasco should have never occured and is a big part of what destroyed the game.

This is a problem when you play God, but are not God.  You don't see the effects of the free will you unleash on the people.
  • HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Now, before the title fools you, believe me...  I hated the CU and ABSOLUTELY ABHOR the NGE with a complete and total passion, as the SWG which I left has only its equal in UO, which was also destroyed for me.  But,  let me give you my point of view on what led to subscription bleeding and the downfall of the pre-cu system we all loved.
    First, let me say that the most fun I had in SWG was in the first 3 months of release.  Back when you actually had to work hard to earn the exp required for your profession and when it took a long time to actually master a profession.
    1.> Doctor Buffs
    First and foremost doc buffs destroyed the PRE-CU.  When you can buff your stats to the point of near invincibility VS NPCs/Mobs, this is going to no doubt lead to a problem.  It allowed people to master combat professions in 1 day if they were dedicated enough and macro programs destroyed the sanctity of crafting professions.  When I started playing on June 26th 2003, I WORKED MY ASS OFF mastering marksman/scout and getting the first box in bounty carbine and first two boxes into bounty pistol.  This was no small feat.  It took two weeks of crazed durni lairs and tabage missions and even going to Tyrena to avoid the mission stealers out and around Coronet.  When Corellia was not sufficient enough to gain experience anymore, myself and a close group of friends would head to Dantooine, back when NO ONE would go there for fear of death.  We would party up and kill huurtons/pikets/bols to gain our experience.  Our dedication gave us a HUGE advantage in GCW PvP and there are threads that were on the Intrepid board(that are still searchable believe it or not) about us and how we exploited/cheated/use at-st too much, etc.  This was back when Tatooine sunburns and muon gold were king for the quick 10 minute fix to dominate pvp, BUT did not make you near invincible like doctor buffs.  Smuggler spices(sad it was only 1) actually had a use and Tat sunburns were in high demand.  You actually had to watch your ham pools whether or not you were pvping or simplying fighting NPCs.  Armor did not mean much, no matter how good it was as you could not equip a full set of the best composite armor without being buffed to high heaven.  A composite helm and chest did the trick and was all you needed.  The game at this time was fun as well as challenging and the power of the doctor buffs completely ruined this early phase of the game.
    Doc buffs and armour could have been tweaked with ease.
    Lets say they reduced the buffs with 60-70% and armour maxed on 50% protection.
    They could also made it so that more types of armour could be made great. Not only comp.

2.>  Holocrons
    The path to jedi should have been kept a secret and random.

3.>  Jedi patch
    The Jedi patch which took away the 3 death and you start over was the BIGGEST DAMN MISTAKE IN SWG HISTORY.  If you wanted to play a Jedi and feel safe, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING KoToR, NOT SWG.  This patch, even with its lenient exp loss system caused the Jedi population to flourish.  No longer were Jedi relegated to grinding on the furthest perimeters of odd planets, they were given the EZ button.  I was one of the first Jedi to unlock on my server and WHENEVER I played it, I was scared.  TRULY and GENUINELY scared.  I worried about the bounty hunter that may have seen a mission for me if I was careless.  I was scared of people seeing me fighting and taking advantage of my saber TEF.   I was really worried about dying, because if I died three times, it was the end of me(even at the rolling 1 death a month period).  This gave the Jedi profession meaning and kept most(not all) acting like actual Jedi would have during that time period...  Plus, there was no "starport jedi" problem.
    Yes playing jedi should have been a real risk. The risk of beeing hunted by both oposite faction
    players and NPC's

4.>  Player Cities
    Yes, player cities were a problem with SWG.  Housing was a great idea, but player cities took the veteran population of the game away from the cities such as Anchorhead, Moenia, and Bestine and put them in a guild/faction created city where new players could not/would not go(hence leading to newer players not picking up on the game and getting into it as we did).  No longer were there players faction missioning out of Anchorhead, Moenia or any of the smaller cities that used to flourish.  They went to a player created city and grinded faction in relative peace which led to the downfall of the GCW in a way.  Anchorhead(atleast on Intrepid) was a ghost town going into 2004 when it was a mecca for PvP for the first few months after release.  Houses sprouted up around major cities like Coronet and even smaller ones like Anchorhead.  This would have been sufficient to keep the population happy and merchants in business.  Player cities ruined my favorite part of the game.  Factional PvP.

5.>  Template Stackers
    This would not have been a problem had the true bonuses for a profession been given in the master box instead of in less skillpoint costing trees in the actual profession itself.  Template stackers were nothing more than UO flavor of the month players using this to have an extreme advantage at 1 on 1 pvp.  Once again, giving out the best bonuses in the master box of an elite professions would have solved this problem yet not destroyed hybrid character mixes.

Well, this is what really screwed the game over for me.  I loved SWG the way it was, but it spiralled out of control into the mess that it is today.  Had common sense and simple fixes been implemented, it could have been the absolute best sandbox MMO ever.  Period.
    I dont see the point in 1 vs 1 PvP. Its a war. This means you have to work together.

RIP SWG - Spike Spiegel - Template stacking exploiting BH of Intrepid(you forced me to do it $oE)

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• Benz00Benz00 Member Posts: 122
    I dont know what abhor means? and Everything was fine if you knew how to play the game. For example. A MCH MBH can out damage a MSD MFEN MTK on a elder. The game was only off blanace in its armor. Docter buffs were a great part of the game. Player citys were great.  Finding a dead cith was cool.
  • XhyronXhyron Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Benz00
    I dont know what abhor means? and Everything was fine if you knew how to play the game. For example. A MCH MBH can out damage a MSD MFEN MTK on a elder. The game was only off blanace in its armor. Docter buffs were a great part of the game. Player citys were great.  Finding a dead cith was cool.

Believe me buddy, everything was NOT fine with this game.  I knew how to play the game better than most and it had serious issues that were allowed to fester into the incarnation that is the NGE.

Btw, www.dictionary.com type in abhor, definition comes up.  Take care.

-Spike

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Doc Buffs were only OP when the nooblet used them to power grind. An unarmored double master with a mediocre weapon was going to get slaughtered by the bulk of the high end content. Buffs at the level they were, were required because of the way the content ganked you. You needed good buffs, what killed it was the role it became. A farmer tool for credit sellers. It was a vital part of SWG otherwise. I got my ass handed to me many times in the cave on Endor because I got cocky.

Holocrons was an attempt to keep up to template runners. A tute was out a week after new content was introduced, telling people how to own the content. If it wasn't holocrons, it would have been something else. They wanted to stop secret to success and make it a grind to scare of the light hearted. It worked, they spent all their time in the forums bitching and moaning and we got NGE.

I agree. 3 death should have killed the Jedi in your toon. Not your toon, just his Jedi. Start oer, don't but the 3 death should have stayed.

Player cities and harvester farms were massive lag whores. That was a problem they could have worked around though. They ignored it and cherry picked to accomodate what they wanted. Another example of not fixing what thewy knew was wrong in favour of creating bugs they didn't even know would be there.

Template stackers were all about PvP and they crippled it but Over pop of Jedi would have done that anyway. No matter what the template was, you had good and bad. It was paper rock scissors there, like all games.

In the end, what killed PreCU was the fact that SOE and LAE didn't want to be bothered. They did some calculations and concluded that even if they got massive account activity the servers were going to fill up with former players legacies and the game would become a big glob of farms and cities nobody owned or were being inherited from former accounts. I had rights to 20 houses. Most on the assumption they may come back, I wanted them to have something to come back to. Most of the problems could have been fixed easily. Apartments and the surrender of the inentory cap fetish. That's the only game I have ever played that kept item count so stingy. Most house issues were inventory issues, people would have been happy with one warehouse rental they had 5000 items in.

Lack of imagination, failure to see problems untill it was too late and no respect for players. SOE and LAE failed. Plain and simple.

• waverat81waverat81 Member Posts: 287
    Between the 3 death = perma and xp loss on death, there was the 3 death=1 skillbox lost.  IMO that was a very good happy medium.

• oreyioreyi Member Posts: 121

1.> Doctor Buffs
    2.>  Holocrons

3.>  Jedi patch

4.>  Player Cities

5.>  Template Stackers

Sorry but I can't agree...

I think it failed (in case it did, because I think it still had hope before the CU was forced) because, basicly,
     the game had stopped it's development. Look at wow, they publish several new instances each year (quite a few!), some world events, new schematics, new loot, they don't stop improving the game. Sure it has it's problems, but they do as much as they can to solve it.

SWG again seemed to lack a development team. Now they for sure don't have it. There are tons of ideas that could have made the game really attractive, but they prefered to try making another wow, and failed miserably (and even if I love WOW, I played more time in SWG until the CU)

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000
    I agree with everything you said.

I also think vehicles destroyed it for me. I loved mounts, but vehicles just brought you everywhere TOO quick!

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443
    very well said xhyron, but i think you should have put more emphasis on the jedi part. The main reason the NGE was pushed out was becasue the devs realized that you cant have an alpha class in a mmorpg.

I guess the jedi community should have spent more time listening to everyone else rather then showering anyone that proposed change with all manners of vile mentation.

• telepriorteleprior Member Posts: 19
    i agree on Jedi part (altho fully grinded mine) and partially agree on stackers altho it could have been tweaked. Other things i think were pretty cool, uber buffs/armor/weapons would be reduced if the stats of the resources spawning were capped at some lower number, not 1000. Maybe 700 or 800. But i agree something was wrong with pre-CU game, but certainlly dont think it needed something like NGE
  • pegauspegaus Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by waverat81
    Between the 3 death = perma and xp loss on death, there was the 3 death=1 skillbox lost.  IMO that was a very good happy medium.

if they had made that system more simple to understand how it worked it would of been a good system
  • FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

To balance the combat all you needed to do was reduce the effectiveness of doc buffs. Every one seems to forget regardless if you had a complete set of compsite 90-% resists that could be worn unbuffed and you were a template stacker, if you fought unbuffed you would go down quite easily. What they should have done was not allow you to buff your secondary stats and also not allow you to hit the mind pool with attacks such as mindfire, disease poisens. If you reduced the doc buffs to a max of say 1000 for the main stats i.e Health, action and mind thats all you needed. We tested this out loads of times when we worked on the best templates for pve and pvp in my guild even with some of the best armor I made and from other top armorsmiths on my server; regardless of how good your template was if you had buffs with a max of 500 ish up to 1000 on the main stats you wouldn't last long as a stacker.

However when you started adding buffs to secondary stats and main stats which were in the 3000+ region and combining that with compsite armor with 90% resists to all stats include 40% stun you were invincible because the effects of encumberance on the secondary stats was negated by doc buffs. This meant that the player could spam specials all day long and get hit x amount of times and regen so fast it had no affect on him. Combine this with the various, dodge bonuses he would be God in pvp and pve.  So you see you could have armor that hit 90% with a good slice and still get beaten with ease provided the doc buffs were tonesd down by 60 to 70% as someone suggested. This would mean that instead of having 1 vs 10 with a super stacker, buff and armor template you would have to work as balanced groups in pvp and pve. The only thing that would have to be done to compensate this would be to tone down Jedi to bring them into line with the rest of the player base which I think would be a fair price to pay.

The main reason Jedi was pushed out as a normal profession was because that was the only way they could attract players to the NGE. Remember their target audience for this incarnation are 10+ age group and what do these players want? They want to play as jedi so they got rid of the hard part which was unlocking and grinding through the village to make their target audience happy.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by pegaus

Originally posted by waverat81
    if they had made that system more simple to understand how it worked it would of been a good system

That system would only work if the Jedi were rewarded with significant power increase. Remember risk vs reward could be argued. If the jedi were only marginally better then a normal profession whats the point being a jedi if you died 3 times and you loose a skill box which took say 30 hours of continuous play to attain?. The system would have worked for the old 4-4-4-4 guardians from the pre-pub 9 days as they were extremely powerfull. However it would only seem worth while that skill loss occurred at a certain level of progression so you by passed the lower levels.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

Originally posted by free2play

Doc Buffs were only OP when the nooblet used them to power grind. An unarmored double master with a mediocre weapon was going to get slaughtered by the bulk of the high end content. Buffs at the level they were, were required because of the way the content ganked you. You needed good buffs, what killed it was the role it became. A farmer tool for credit sellers. It was a vital part of SWG otherwise. I got my ass handed to me many times in the cave on Endor because I got cocky.

All that high end content was never meant to be soloed. You were supposed to have a large group to attempt it.

Fighting through the very dangerous tusken cave with a group of 10 = fun.

Waltzing through it solo with no problem = not fun.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

1.> Doctor Buffs
    Should have NEVER been in the game.

2.>  Holocrons
    The should have made the Holocrons like the Force Crystals of the Village. They would "Guide" you down your path.

3.>  Jedi patch
    Jedi do NOT belong in this game. Force Sensatives? Yes, they do exist, and use the Force, but there are no Jedi. It was simple really: Add in Force Powers, but make them "unfocused". Allow players to seek to "focus" them. Make ANY sign of using the Force a Vistit from the Imperial Inquasition, or other "Elite" squad. Force abilities shouldn't have been Uber, they should have just been special.

4.>  Player Cities
    Player Cities should have always been "footprinted". In other words, there should have been "Outposts" located around the planets, 15 each planet, and by placing a City Hall in a predesignated spot in the Outpost, it changed it into a Town. Houses should have only been allowed in these Cities. Appartments should have been added to NPC Cities.

5.>  Template Stackers
    Sperearting Professions and Skills would have fixed this, or capping all abilities. Mods should have NEVER been allowed to exceed 25.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893

I am going to take issue with this one point.
    1.> Doctor Buffs
    First and foremost doc buffs destroyed the PRE-CU.  When you can buff your stats to the point of near invincibility VS NPCs/Mobs, this is going to no doubt lead to a problem.  It allowed people to master combat professions in 1 day if they were dedicated enough

I fail to see the problem with mastering a profession in one day.  Why does it matter how long it takes to master a profession?
     and macro programs destroyed the sanctity of crafting professions. 

Even if an aspiring crafter macro'd his way to master, it almost never meant he/she understood how to do his/her job well.  So, time would inevitably be re-spent, learning the tricks of the trade.  And you are digressing away from buffs and you haven't even started.
      This was back when Tatooine sunburns and muon gold were king for the quick 10 minute fix to dominate pvp, BUT did not make you near invincible like doctor buffs. 

Buffs made no one near invincible for PvP.  For PvE, that is a different story.  I guess it all depends on what you find to be the center of the game.  Was it loot?  Or was it the GCW ie PvP.  I'm not gonna lie and say the GCW was good, but that is how I see it.
      The game at this time was fun as well as challenging and the power of the doctor buffs completely ruined this early phase of the game.

You say it ruined it, but yet you provide no explanation except for the supposition that it let people master a profession in a day.  I just don't understand people who wanted this game to be a grindfest that consumed everyone's precious time.  Doctor buffs were imo the least of the PRE-CU problems.  I think they were fine the way they were.  The secret to 'balancing' buffs was healable mind pool.  If people could have healed the mind pool effectively with something other than blue milk, no one would be complaining about buffs negating regular specials in PvP. 

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Well all I have to say is BRAVO, I agree 100 percent, however they were not the only things. I still see people blaming the Developers for these actions, and that is true they do deserve the blame, but it is also true that the vast majority of the player base whined about most of these things and demanded that they be changed. I want Jedi easier shouldn’t be so hard, I hate the perma death, I love Buffs and I using them on others to own them, until they would get owned by someone else using them this is so unfair I hate everyone and Buffs, and etc… and etc… the good old days. Thank you for your time.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

Well frankly it was due to the devs rushing it out before it was ready, thereby annoying the hell out of a lot of players because all the issues raised by the OP were never finalised.

Added to that, SOE were expecting god-knows how many subscribers due to  the fact it was starwars and panicked when they realised there weren't twenty bajillion people buying their product.

Lots of us enjoyed this game like no other, but it was removed due to poor management who regarded the game, not themselves, as a failure

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

While I dissagree with you Xhyron, I think you make some worth while points and they are all good oppinions to take into consideration. Great post too by the way, it's nice to read something that doesn't start with a "this sucks because...". You have your oppinions and you back them up and your clear about the fact that it's these are just your oppinion and not fact just because you say so. Very refreshing to read.

Just my 2cent on your key points.

1.> Doctor Buffs

I actually loved the doctor buffs and the entire profession for that matter, besides Dancer/Ent it was probably my favorite. That being said, I thinkt they were entirely missused and very poorly implemented.

They really needed to make better use of the medical fascilities that were available in every large city, this would have gone a very long way to getting rid of those aweful buff lines at every damned star port. I think this was actually in the game but then taken out, why? I'm not sure.

Also I think you make a great point, they buffs were entirely out of hand as far as strength. But other then balancing, I thought it was an amazing system and really added alot to the game, especially with socializing, crafting and professions.

2.>  Holocrons

I've always been on the fence with the holocron situation. On one hand, I could certainly the point and idea behind the decision of the holocron grind, it made sense to a certain degree. Again though, it was implemented in the poorest of fashion, traditional SOE upside down thinking processes.

I'm guilty of diving into the holo grind, I unlocked 7th on my server and loved my jedi until it's eventual Rape but always back to my Dancer as I consider her my main above all else. It was a tough situation that still to this day I think very few have come to a plausible and viable solution with.

3.>  Jedi patch

Completely agree with you here, the holo grind was bad, the Jedi patch was the clear begining of the end, at least for me. So many prof's needed attention, to this day I firmly believe that this was a huge mistake in terms of project management and priority.

4.>  Player Cities

I loved player cities, still do but AGAIN, the poorest of poor implementation. I think much more could have been done as far as housing goes in the main, big cities, as was the plan back in beta and the concept was of the city was dumped in the game and then left ignored for such a long time.

Realistically, it had no where to go but downhill sheerly by being ignored by the development team.

5.>  Template Stackers

I agree with you here, had the skills been properly from the start as you suggested, template stacking was what made SWG the amazingly versatile game it was.

I could be a dancer AND a crafter, or a crafter with a knack for beating on people with vibro knucklers. I could be an Image Designer that knew her way around guns or I could be a commando that was just as hander with a sword.

It was fun, it was different and it kept people intrigued. It made people specialist, you knew who was a good BH and you knew who was a good Marksman. To me, that was all because of the Templates and it's a shame that for the most part, they are gone now.

Again, great post Xhyron. Thanks for sharing.
  • LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

Originally posted by oreyi

failed (in case it did, because I think it still had hope before the CU was forced) because, basicly,
     the game had stopped it's development. Look at wow, they publish several new instances each year (quite a few!), some world events, new schematics, new loot, they don't stop improving the game. Sure it has it's problems, but they do as much as they can to solve it.

SWG again seemed to lack a development team. Now they for sure don't have it. There are tons of ideas that could have made the game really attractive, but they prefered to try making another wow, and failed miserably (and even if I love WOW, I played more time in SWG until the CU)

I have to qfe this post. All of the problems brought up by the op would have been taken care of if SOE was responsible enough to develop their own game instead of bailing out.

For the Horde!

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

I agree about Player Cities. I do remember when the game first came out how the different cities were filled with people and you had either Imps or Rebels coming in trying to fight. The player city did take basiclly kill that since vets didn't have to travel to the NPC cities other then to take off the planet and that was a travel through.

Thinking about it this. Anarchy Online had city apartments and peopels till gathered in the city. Dark Age of Camelot had player housing zones yet peopel still gathered in cities, Fort Outpost, etc. Ultima Online has player housing and players still gathered in the cities, will the bigger ones. Allowing it so players didn't have to venture back to the main cities was a big mistake in Star Wars Galaxies. Housing is fine, player cities not so much, especially when you already have so many in the game.

This is a huge flaw with Everquest 1. They've made Plane of Knowledge THE gathering place that racial cities are just empty save on the Progressive server. Hell even the tutorial places you in the Plane of Knowledge and now your starting city, which I think it should. T

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

1.> Doctor Buffs
    5.> Template Stackers

* I'll throw in Composite Armor

All of the above made the pre-CU environment completely unbalanced; resulting in either frustrating or boring game play. What fun is it to be a 'one man mass extinction event', or spend time organizing PvP only to be killed in a few seconds by a MCM?

As I've argued in the past, the pre-CU was great in concept, but poor in execution.

2.> Holocrons
    3.> Jedi patch

Jedi were/are the bane of SWG. The profession caused a myriad of issues ranging from imbalances in the game to creating divisions within the player base. Imo, Jedi should've been implemented as NPCs only.

4.> Player Cities

I absolutely hated the implementation of this feature. The result were vast ghost towns and a large empty map. I felt more of a sense of community in the impromtu towns formed outside cities, like Moenia and Theed.

RIP SWG - Spike Spiegel - Template stacking exploiting BH of Intrepid(you forced me to do it $oE)

Were you on Kettemoor as well? I remember a Spike Spiegel running around with EE and SWAT.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.