Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if u board a ship can you have sword and gun fights

if you see a ship and fire your cannons to weaken it wouldnt it be so cool if you could swing across on ropes and stuff and take out your sword or gun and start killling the pirates and people on board to take over and then steal their cargo.

Comments

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    Thats what I was expectting for this game, Too bad They don't wanna take their time to develop it right, heck last I checked U can't even have friends in your ship,  a pirate mmo, Butr with 1 man ship?

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63

You play the game as a Captain of a ship.  You play the Captain.  You tell the crew where to sail.  You tell the crew when to fire the guns.  Etc...  You command a ship in the Age of Sail.  You do not have to play all 200 sailors of the crew.  You buddy also commands a ship.  He directs his ship to follow your ship.  You fight as a team against pirates or perhaps to take a merchant ship.

Now, they have begun work on direct one on one avatar combat.  I don't think that will make release, although I could be wrong.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

I am a soloer, I don't want ships that require more than 1 person to command and I don't want to fight against ships commanded by multiple people which would give them an advantage by dividing their tasks.

Basically your ship is you, at least at initial release. You will have a human avatar but it's mainly for show from what I understand. In the future there are plans for character control on land.

You can loot cargo from ships you have defeated or possibly capture the whole ship.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63
    You actually control your Captain while in port.  You pick up missions, look after your economic ventures, etc...  The part they have not completed would be land battles.  I expect that feature will be added.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• KalunaKaluna Member Posts: 4

I read today that they will not have hand-to-hand avatar combat at release, but that they intend to add it later. 

It seems to me that this game is like EVE, except that the game takes place on the sea instead of outer space.  One thing I didn't like about EVE was that I didn't have an avatar to walk around or get into fights.  Let's hope they do implement something of the kind.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by acmtalk
    Thats what I was expectting for this game, Too bad They don't wanna take their time to develop it right, heck last I checked U can't even have friends in your ship,  a pirate mmo, Butr with 1 man ship?

why would you want to stand around on a friends ship when you could have your own?  Because you want to be part of the crew? how is that fun?  how is tying knots in rigging and cleaning the decks engaging gameplay? 

As far as avatar boarding combat, it is something that they are looking at, it is not planned for the initial release of the game, though there is such a high demand for it right now that I can't see it not making it into the first or second major publish/patch.

The difficulty is with balancing something like this...you want to be able to have some control over boarding acts, but at the same time you don't want your one captain to be able to just cleave through the whole crew of the other ship..and you can't have something like Sid Meier's Pirates! where you can take a ship crewed by 400 people with your crew of 20...the problem is balancing it to make it fun, and realistic.  How would you like it if a guy in a sloop came up and took your huge ship of the line just because he was a better sword fighter than you?  It doesn't make sense from a fun gameplay standpoint or a realistic one.

To those that say that they are just being lazy, you need to go read up on the game, these devs are far from lazy...every decision that they have made has had the utmost consideration for the players behind it, the fact that avatar combat will not be in the initial release doesn't mean that they are lazy, it means that they have different priorites than you.

Okay I'm done, my logic has no place here.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• QaxlorQaxlor Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Draenor

Originally posted by acmtalk

why would you want to stand around on a friends ship when you could have your own?  Because you want to be part of the crew? how is that fun?  how is tying knots in rigging and cleaning the decks engaging gameplay?

[Ship] Mate Riggans: w00t! I just levelled in knot-tying!!
    [Ship] Captain Biggs: grats rig!
    [Ship] Mate Sweeney: grats, man I am two bubbles from level 8 deck swabbing
    [Ship] Captain Biggs: How is your sail furling coming, Sweeney?
    [Ship] Mate Sweeney: Slowly, you need to make port more often
    [Ship] Mate Greene: Agreed, dude, I need to level my cargo loading, more port calls!
    [Ship] Captain Biggs: We have two ports coming up real soon, I need to sail around the Tropic once more so Skip can level navigation
    [Ship] First Mate Skip: :)

I don't get it Drae, that sounds like a blast ;)

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by Qaxlor

Originally posted by Draenor
    Originally posted by acmtalk Thats what I was expectting for this game, Too bad They don't wanna take their time to develop it right, heck last I checked U can't even have friends in your ship, a pirate mmo, Butr with 1 man ship? why would you want to stand around on a friends ship when you could have your own? Because you want to be part of the crew? how is that fun? how is tying knots in rigging and cleaning the decks engaging gameplay? [Ship] Mate Riggans: w00t! I just levelled in knot-tying!![Ship] Captain Biggs: grats rig![Ship] Mate Sweeney: grats, man I am two bubbles from level 8 deck swabbing[Ship] Captain Biggs: How is your sail furling coming, Sweeney?[Ship] Mate Sweeney: Slowly, you need to make port more often[Ship] Mate Greene: Agreed, dude, I need to level my cargo loading, more port calls![Ship] Captain Biggs: We have two ports coming up real soon, I need to sail around the Tropic once more so Skip can level navigation[Ship] First Mate Skip: :)I don't get it Drae, that sounds like a blast ;)

*embarassed* yeah it kinda does

but I think he ment multiple people in one ship mainly for raiding the other ship. Have all of your friends firing cannons and swabbing the poop deck until you disable the other ship. Then it is time to fire your pistolas and swing yourself to the other boat killing off their crew. after that you throw down some planks and take their boxes of hustler and walk them to your ship.

Drop you friends off at the port so they can get on their ships and everyone can do the safety dance!

• QaxlorQaxlor Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by sidebuster

*embarassed* yeah it kinda does

but I think he ment multiple people in one ship mainly for raiding the other ship. Have all of your friends firing cannons and swabbing the poop deck until you disable the other ship. Then it is time to fire your pistolas and swing yourself to the other boat killing off their crew. after that you throw down some planks and take their boxes of hustler and walk them to your ship.

Drop you friends off at the port so they can get on their ships and everyone can do the safety dance!

So, again the description sounds compelling, but in order for your ship to go out and conduct a meaningful raid on another ship there has to be another ship out there with a full compliment on board for you to fight. As a player, what's my motivation to stay on someone else's ship while they sail around waiting to be attacked? Do you require merchants to carry crews so that a potential raider can board them? I guess you could attack NPC ships, but it's not the same as good PvP naval combat.

If you make crewing optional and fill empty spots with NPCs, the clear advantage will still be to the player with a human crew, so you're basically requiring merchants and naval vessels to have human crews on board just for boarding attempts. I will concede that some kind of officers slots might work, where you have a gunnery officer and maybe someone to direct boarding, but I'm still skeptical that a full crew is workable.
  • mcrackenmcracken Member Posts: 7
    Will they actually allow you to employ the full use of your full crew when boarding?  In other games like pirates of the Caribbean they almost killed it by only having 4 guys board with you at a time.