Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA's new direction

AngervienAngervien Member UncommonPosts: 24
Big Brother is watching…

For anyone who doesn’t routinely follow official Electronic Arts / Ultima Online news; EA announced Monday that it is going to test and probably implement EvenBalance software’s “PunkBuster” into the Ultima Online client. This software package is included in many popular First Person Shooter games, but this would mark the first major MMOG to include it. The software is designed to block third party “cheat” programs in order to keep those games fair. I’m sure most of us can agree cheating is bad, and cheat programs are usually bad. The problem comes in when you try to define a “cheat” program… more on that later.

The underlying problem with the software is, obviously, the complete and total invasion of privacy associated with it. Not only does the software continuously scan for processing running on the system to search for potential cheats, but the software can take screenshots and forward them to the server. When used only for the purpose of game enforcement, such gratuitous invasions of privacy are mostly harmless. But everyone should be wary of the even those with the best intentions. The license agreement for the software clearly states (emphasis added):

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkBuster License Agreement

Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not limited to, devices and any files residing on the hard-drive and in the memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed. Further, Licensee consents to allow PunkBuster software to transfer actual screenshots taken of Licensee’s computer during the operation of PunkBuster software for possible publication.

The license does not limit Electronic Art’s capabilities at all. They promise in their PunkBuster FAQ to only take screenshots of the game screen. Great, I’m sure we should all trust them to keep their word. Even if we all do trust them, can we trust them to keep any information they collect safe? We can’t forget there is at least one instance of lost or stolen customer data reported weekly for every company and type of data from Graduate student’s social security numbers to information about thousands of U.S. Military veterans and active servicemen. PunkBuster is no model of safety, as can been seen on their website’s front page.

Just thought the MMORPG community would be interested in this bit of information.

Comments

• PoemasterPoemaster Member Posts: 80
    It is perfectly OK for PunkBuster to scan out PC's and our harddrvie and memory, The problem starts with the screenshots when actual people start reading our information The program isnt able to understand anything besides matching program names But once real people who can understand what is on our computers start reading our stuff Theres your invasion of Privacy and that is what I have a problem with

• AngervienAngervien Member UncommonPosts: 24

I am sorry but, I could not be more uncomfortable with any type of software 'scanning' anything on my PC.  I dont care where it came from, what its intentions are, or the purpose of the software.  I have other programs like Quicken, online banking accounts, etc. on my PC that could be compromised.

Punkbuster is spyware no matter how you cut it, and its illegal and obviously can not be trusted as with any software. There will always be holes in software security and people that you dont even know that you have to put your trust in.

Now look at this Most recent bans page. So not only do they steal screen shots from your PC, no matter what software you are running, IE Quicken, online banking, etc... They post your IP address and personal information on thier BB boards for everyone to see.  How much information do you want out there about your system?

For me, not its not perfectly ok for them to scan my PC, harddrive, or memory.  So I am just trying to get your reasoning straight, once a program has compromised your PC, uploaded files, and screen shots to a remote server (it has at this point removed something from your personal space) and thats not a problem for you until someone reads it?  I can tell you I have a problem with that waaaay before then.

• PoemasterPoemaster Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Angervien

I am sorry but, I could not be more uncomfortable with any type of software 'scanning' anything on my PC.  I dont care where it came from, what its intentions are, or the purpose of the software.  I have other programs like Quicken, online banking accounts, etc. on my PC that could be compromised.
    Punkbuster is spyware no matter how you cut it, and its illegal and obviously can not be trusted as with any software. There will always be holes in software security and people that you dont even know that you have to put your trust in.

Now look at this Most recent bans page. So not only do they steal screen shots from your PC, no matter what software you are running, IE Quicken, online banking, etc... They post your IP address and personal information on thier BB boards for everyone to see.  How much information do you want out there about your system?
    For me, not its not perfectly ok for them to scan my PC, harddrive, or memory.  So I am just trying to get your reasoning straight, once a program has compromised your PC, uploaded files, and screen shots to a remote server (it has at this point removed something from your personal space) and thats not a problem for you until someone reads it?  I can tell you I have a problem with that waaaay before then.

You Couldnt be more wrong If an unintelligent computer simply matches terms it isnt illegal nor is it an invasion of privacy also it is not Spyware as Spywares motives are malicious The Recent bans page lists your IP address it is rediculously easy to get someones IP address and not an invasion of provacy, Do you use Google or Gmail or example Gmail scans ur email for certain terms and then lists advertisements on the side based on those terms is that illegal? no the program cant compromise your quicken and as a result cant do anything malicious based on information it recieves The only problem is when a Human being sees the information
    .....Please Educate youself....

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I remember when SOE tried something like this.  The outcry was enormous. 
    No way in hell will I play any game that scanns the contents of my computer.  Ever.

It's a GAME, who cares if some idiot manages to use a hack program.  They need to actively monitor activities inside the game.  Or have things that run server side to detect cheating.  Scanning the contents of a person's computer to make a VIDEO GAME more 'fair' is NOT acceptable.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Poemaster

You Couldnt be more wrong If an unintelligent computer simply matches terms it isnt illegal nor is it an invasion of privacy also it is not Spyware as Spywares motives are malicious The Recent bans page lists your IP address it is rediculously easy to get someones IP address and not an invasion of provacy, Do you use Google or Gmail or example Gmail scans ur email for certain terms and then lists advertisements on the side based on those terms is that illegal? no the program cant compromise your quicken and as a result cant do anything malicious based on information it recieves The only problem is when a Human being sees the information
    .....Please Educate youself....

BAD examples:
    1) Your IP address on the internet is public information.  It's not private, you LEASE it from an ISP.
    2) Email residing on a server belongs, not to you, but to the company which owns the server.  Until it moves from their server TO your hard drive you have no say over what is done with it.  Which is why anyone with half a brain should have their own mail server if they're concerned about email privacy.  

In this case we're talking about 3rd party software which scans the contents of your hard drive.  I don't care if it's a human being or an algorhythm.  It's illegal unless you specifically allow them to do that.  Personally?  I could care less if they're doing it to make a video game more "fair".  The bottom line is they're invading MY privacy in order to balance a ***VIDEO GAME***.  Not worth it, imo.  I don't even have anything on my PC I'm that concerned about but, on the principle of the matter, I will never play any game that scans my hard drive (outside the contents of it's own folder/files for patching purposes)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• AngervienAngervien Member UncommonPosts: 24

Spyware monitors user activity and transmits that information in the background to someone else, and that is exactly what this software does.  Believe it or not, I am smart enought to understand that software isnt 'smart' in the typical sense of the word, but who do you think gives that software the 'matched terms'?

Once you click "I agree" on the EA EULA/TOS then you have given them access to ANY file on your PC, and if PB is going to go through the trouble of uploading anything in the background to a server farm, then someone IS going to review that information.  PB wasnt just created for the heck of it, as a deterrent against cheats and hacks, it has a purpose and I am uncomfortable with that purpose.

I only posted this, not to be insulted, but to bring this to the attention of the users of EA software, there are alot of people who don't read the EULA and this needed to be announced.

I would rather take my chances of a hacker using a IP scanner to find me than to have it posted on a public site as a bullseye pinpointing me.  And maybe you need to re-read the EULA its saying ANY file, and a screenshot doesnt only reside in game.  I can open my Quicken software and PB being the software that it is, and me having 'signed' the EULA and giving that company full rights to take snapshot after snapshot.

My intention was not to change your mind on anything, but hey, if your comfortable with software that has unlimited access to everything on your PC then top your tank off, and come back for seconds anytime.