Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are AlienWare computers good enough to buy?

I don't really no if AlienWare computers are good enough to play my games ex as: GW, CSS, Diablo 2, BF2, BF2 EP pack

Is it ???

Comments

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682

If it was me, just build a custom pc to your likings.

Choose your own tower, your own monitor.

1 gb or 2gb ram

your harddrive size

cdrom or dvdrom or combo burner drives

mobo chipset

what videocard?
    SLI

7900?    7600??  x1900, or u wanting something a little cheaper like a 6800 or a x1600.

You'll usually find desktops cheaper to build urself then buy from alienware.

notebooks, they have pretty good notebooks for gaming.  Cheapest are the Alienware m5500 i believe.

the Sentias wouldnt be great for gaming

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

Originally posted by XxJessomexX

I don't really no if AlienWare computers are good enough to play my games ex as: GW, CSS, Diablo 2, BF2, BF2 EP pack

Is it ???

Alienwares are horrible can barely open Calculator the 1024mb of ram really slow it down. Go and buy a Dell Demension 3000 at Best Buy with 256mb of ram and a 20gb harddrive and dont skimp out on that warranty.The Dell Demension will easily play BF2. Trust me!

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Alienware is part of Dell.

If you have more money than sense buy an Alienware it will rock.

Alternatively, visit Alienwares website write down the computers specs and take it to you local computer store and get the guy there to make you up the same thing for 1/2 the price.

• OneMuslimOneMuslim Member Posts: 426
    yes they are good, pretty good, and actually i built a custom PC with the same specs the best alienware comp has with the same price too.
  • MrYamamotoMrYamamoto Member Posts: 17
    building your own pc is just as cheap/expensive.
    Plus building your own pc is more fun, cuz you can look for your own tower that you like =)

=-
    KamiKazi
    -=

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Depends what the specs are.  A friend has one its pretty good, but he got ripped off, he paid around $3000 for something you can easily get with $2000, but he also has an alienware labtop which is actually really good for the price.  But youll always get the best deal when you build your own.

• viadiviadi Member Posts: 816
    people are fools, build one yourself they are loads of websights you could find info on how to do it and its cheeper just rember to get a good motherboard people buy shithot graphics cards, sound cards and CPU's etc only to skimp on the motherboard and never get a good use out of what they have got I'd just build myown it may not even be that much cheeper in some cases but atleast your supporting local shops by going there

Tin Foil hats dont work.. its all a conspiracy

• BalterBalter Member Posts: 1,015

If you have the money go for the AlienWare-

You got the warranty, the support, and you know all the hardware works and is compatible.

My build: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard, 4gb G.SKILL DDR2 667MHz RAM, Core 2 Duo e7200 CPU, 250gb Western Digital SATA Harddrive, Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit.

• sparky7483sparky7483 Member Posts: 159
    3 little words: GET A MAC. Theyre reasonably priced (especially the mini), run smoothly, and the new Intel 1s can run Win XP if u need it.

Life is full of choices--dont make RS one of em
    ----------
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

Originally posted by sparky7483
    3 little words: GET A MAC. Theyre reasonably priced (especially the mini), run smoothly, and the new Intel 1s can run Win XP if u need it.

Oh know! I hate to go on a rant here, but Macs are horrible machines. For one they are not reasonably priced at all. And upgrade for a laptop from 1gb too 2gb costs 300$+ which is a total rip off. The company in it's self are obsessed with them selves. The guy that runs Mac is an idiot. Has know idea what he is doing he takes all the credit for "making macs" when really it was his highschool friend who built the first Mac and his friend also pretty much invented building your own computer and the term hacking. They say "Macs dont crash" well any computer will crash if you push it's buttons the wrong way, just becasue it's based off of a Unix kernal doesnt make it uncrashable. You will have major compatibilite (sp I know I killed that word) issues. The OS  also has many bad features for instance, you click a file  it will automatically rename it somthing, lets say it was an important system file and it just got renamed F, it will automatically put it with all the other files starting with F. The OS is for people who are too lazy to learn how to use a real computer example, Windows, Linux etc etc.

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

• RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031
    Nope.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by XxJessomexX
    I don't really no if AlienWare computers are good enough to play my games ex as: GW, CSS, Diablo 2, BF2, BF2 EP packIs it ???
    Can play games? Yes (no idea why anyone says no to this). (Now pure old "Dell-computers" are most likely a NO)

Is it worth the price? Nope. www.tomshardware.com has usually guides now & then how to make a great/good best bang for your buck computer.

AlienWare is more expensive (compared to prices in my country) when compared to ready built computers, some bigger online retailers offer (not sure if there are any north american sites offering this).

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Alienware is a status symbol.

If you're the kind of person that would buy a Rolex watch instead of an Accurist, then go for it.

Simple as that.

Personally, I find them ridiculously overpriced and frequently actually behind in terms of specs compared to lesser known companies.

Best way is to build it yourself, or have someone build it for you.

• I find them extremely expensive for what you get. I had a friend help me put together my current PC (since I'm not computer gifted), and I paid about half of what I would through Alienware. I'm not saying Alienware computers aren't nice, but if you can put one together yourself or have a friend who will you can make a damn fine machine for much less money.
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I agree build it yourself, do a little research on the parts they use and then search the prices of those parts on newegg and you'll find that you can build the same machine if not a better one for MUCH less than they charge.  I'm a reseller myself and my current system would retail for over 3 grand from alienware easy and I have 1700 in parts including xp pro.  So, unless you want that cool alienware look to your case, do yourself a favor and build it yourself you'll thank me in the long run.