Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Storage Options for Guild Wars

cooldevocooldevo Member Posts: 371

[quote]

New Storage Options for Guild Wars

Players who own Factions will soon be given a new form of
storage through the Xunlai Agent. This new tab on the storage account
will allow you to store up to 250 of each type of material or crafting
supply in the game, both common and rare. So as you acquire items, you
can put them into the Xunlai vault and keep your regular storage space
clear for armor, weapons, and special holiday items. The first tab on
the Xunlai interface is where your items are stored; it has 20 slots.
The second tab is the new vault where you put all your materials and
crafting supplies, such as bones, shells, and other such things.

The following is a Mini-FAQ that will answer your questions about the new storage options.

[/quote]

Click Here for the link to find the mini-faq.... didn't copy/paste it to save space

Comments

• hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

Oh thank goodness...and about time... ;) They really need to make another tab for collectors items though, that's what clogs up my inventory, and just when I sell some to make room, I realize I needed them to get my Illusion mesmer staff or something.

Now all we need is saveable skill bars and extra character slots.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640
    I checked my inventory not too long ago, and I'm using 15 slots of it. Of those 15 slots, 2 are NOT mats.

Let's just say I'm rather excited about this addition.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• KorneliusKornelius Member Posts: 54

Why it is just for GWF ??? ::::16::
    I suppose it is to make us buy it... ^^

GW- Warrior lvl18 - Monk lvl4

• cooldevocooldevo Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by hadz

Oh thank goodness...and about time... ;) They really need to make another tab for collectors items though, that's what clogs up my inventory, and just when I sell some to make room, I realize I needed them to get my Illusion mesmer staff or something.

This would show me that the extra char slots aren't all that high on their priority list at the moment.

But yeah I definately think it would be nice for collector stuff.  Although I don't even want to count how many collector items are in game.  That would have to be one huge tab.  At least the materials are more limited (cloth, silk, iron ingots, damask, etc).  I can vaguely recall more collector items then materials.  Almost every creature has a collector item (not sure if they are all used or not though, as I am no where close to finding all the collectors).

But yeah, definately a good point though.
  • chronic05chronic05 Member Posts: 32
    i have faction and i havent seen any new tab on the storage? my storage is full up with swords and shields and my char is holding 6 sets of 15k armor at all times plus all energy items and my mini pets. does anyone know if they r going to add a new tab for def or they r thinking about doing it ?

Follow the link in the OP and they will have a mini-faq that will tell you most of what you'll want to know....

AFAIK they plan on releasint it shortly (at least that's how they make it sound).

• chronic05chronic05 Member Posts: 32
    what do mean ???? follow link in the OP and mini - faq ?

In the Original Post (OP) there is a line that says:  "Click here to go to the mini-faq"

Click that or copy and paste this link:  http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/storage/ into your browser.

They have a list of common questions about the new storage stuff there.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    yeah i heard.. thank gooddd!!!!

• thepillarfrethepillarfre Member Posts: 36
    about freaking time

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975
    This is hardly enough.  More important than material storage slots are customized gear slots ( which have no effect on the economy ), and general storage slots.  There is already a means of material storage and that is selling to the trader and buying it back when needed.  Yes, it costs money, but it doesn't take up space and one never ends up with a surplus.  Currently there is no means to store weapon upgrades or customized gear, and considering how gear is very important to character respecing, something that is supposed to be freely available, it should be easier to store muliple sets of gear.  Also consider the need for storing holiday items.

My suggestion is to add a Xunlai faction.  It's earned through quests, turning in collector items, ect, and can be spent on general storage slots, which keep getting more and more expensive (but in theory one can have an unlimited number of them), material storage slots, which have to be purchased and can be repurchased in a "major" and "superior" version for storing more of each material, and customized storage slots which are a fixed price each and are specific to each character.

This would fix storage and make it a gameplay mechanic at the same time.

Originally posted by Mylon
    This is hardly enough.  More important than material storage slots are customized gear slots ( which have no effect on the economy ), and general storage slots.  There is already a means of material storage and that is selling to the trader and buying it back when needed.  Yes, it costs money, but it doesn't take up space and one never ends up with a surplus.  Currently there is no means to store weapon upgrades or customized gear, and considering how gear is very important to character respecing, something that is supposed to be freely available, it should be easier to store muliple sets of gear.  Also consider the need for storing holiday items.

My suggestion is to add a Xunlai faction.  It's earned through quests, turning in collector items, ect, and can be spent on general storage slots, which keep getting more and more expensive (but in theory one can have an unlimited number of them), material storage slots, which have to be purchased and can be repurchased in a "major" and "superior" version for storing more of each material, and customized storage slots which are a fixed price each and are specific to each character.

This would fix storage and make it a gameplay mechanic at the same time.

The only problem with that first point is the economy would suffer horribly.

All things that vendors sell are from a "pool" of what players sell to them...  If they run out of something, no one in the game can buy it until a player sells it one.  That's why they implemented the "quote" button before you can sell materials, runes, etc.  And why some things cost so much more than others.  Supply and demand.  I find it a really cool feature of the game.  You can't farm 5000 cloth, and sell it for much money, because the value for it will drop the more you sell it to a materials vendor.

If everyone sold materials to the vendors, there would be such a surplus it wouldn't be worth selling anymore.  Just look at runes.  Runes are almost worthless to sell... I get more money selling to a merchant than to a rune vendor on some.  That is part of how farming can ruin the games economy.... it dumps such a huge quantity of items to the vendors that the value becomes almost worthless.

To counter the damage caused by everyone selling their stuff to a vendor, there would have to be people buying it up to keep the supply/demand ratio in check.
  • kuklovodkuklovod Member Posts: 4

Oh yes how I hear you! Saveable skill bars, being able to announce your skillbar to team by ctrl-clicking it, and ability to change secondary on pvp characters without the need to reroll is what I've been lacking for a year and then some... More storage is always nice, but it's a pvp game afterall, give us the needed pvp features :)  

Originally posted by cooldevo 
    The only problem with that first point is the economy would suffer horribly.

All things that vendors sell are from a "pool" of what players sell to them...  If they run out of something, no one in the game can buy it until a player sells it one.  That's why they implemented the "quote" button before you can sell materials, runes, etc.  And why some things cost so much more than others.  Supply and demand.  I find it a really cool feature of the game.  You can't farm 5000 cloth, and sell it for much money, because the value for it will drop the more you sell it to a materials vendor.

If everyone sold materials to the vendors, there would be such a surplus it wouldn't be worth selling anymore.  Just look at runes.  Runes are almost worthless to sell... I get more money selling to a merchant than to a rune vendor on some.  That is part of how farming can ruin the games economy.... it dumps such a huge quantity of items to the vendors that the value becomes almost worthless.

To counter the damage caused by everyone selling their stuff to a vendor, there would have to be people buying it up to keep the supply/demand ratio in check.

Err, what?  Sure, if everyone sold their mats to the trader (like I do) then they wouldn't sell for much at all.  However, they wouldn't cost that much to buy back, either.  If they're not worth much to sell or not too expensive to buy back then they're not worth taking up valuable storage space with.

If the prices crash because the supply is too great, then that's a problem with the game.  Armor is a one-time purchase and there's hardly any resource sinks, so the market gets flooded.  Like how materials are now.

The economy would not be "ruined", merely different.  Besides that, that's how the economy is right now anyway since most materials are at their lowest price, most runes are under 500 gold, ect...

Originally posted by kuklovod

Oh yes how I hear you! Saveable skill bars, being able to announce your skillbar to team by ctrl-clicking it, and ability to change secondary on pvp characters without the need to reroll is what I've been lacking for a year and then some... More storage is always nice, but it's a pvp game afterall, give us the needed pvp features :)  

I agree.  Also I'd love to see the ability to put my own builds in the list available in PvP character creation with armor and equipment and runes pre-selected.  It'd be like having more character slots for PvP.  Make the slots cost Balth faction or whatever.  It'd make it easier for me to try out more builds.

Originally posted by Mylon

Err, what?  Sure, if everyone sold their mats to the trader (like I do) then they wouldn't sell for much at all.  However, they wouldn't cost that much to buy back, either.  If they're not worth much to sell or not too expensive to buy back then they're not worth taking up valuable storage space with.

If the prices crash because the supply is too great, then that's a problem with the game.  Armor is a one-time purchase and there's hardly any resource sinks, so the market gets flooded.  Like how materials are now.

The economy would not be "ruined", merely different.  Besides that, that's how the economy is right now anyway since most materials are at their lowest price, most runes are under 500 gold, ect...

And what do you think causes the prices to drop like that?  People farming, and dumping mass quantites of stuff on the vendors.

As you said, once you get a suit of armor, and get it all runed up you don't need any more.  But you try and visit most cities, and they have people looking to go farming.  Which again I have to ask, why?  I haven't armed yet, and I've gotten everything I need and then some.  Once you buy the armor you want, and have the weapons and items, why do you need thousands more plat?  You don't really.

That's part of why traders aren't buying some items if you notice.  I tried selling a rune to the vendor and they refused to take it.  Too many people are selling stuff to the vendors.  I had to sell it at the merchants to get rid of it after several days.  That's not just people selling loot they got on a mission or quest.

And if you only need to buy the armor once, when would you need to buy it back?  If you get the 15k armor, and that's what you wanted are you going to buy another?  Probably not..... at least I wouldn't.  So when am I going to buy it back to help the supply and demand of the in-game economy?  You aren't and all the stuff you and others are selling is just gonna sit there until they get so much they just refuse to buy it anymore.  Such as is happening at the rune trader.

And I never said the economy is in perfect condition right now... Maybe the devs need to go through and purge the vendors of items.  But that wouldn't even fix the problem.  They'd be full again in a few days/weeks.

You have to remember, they have put limits on how much a vendor will buy before they refuse to buy anymore.  Try going to the rune vendor and sell some runes.  A lot of the more common ones they will refuse to buy.  Once the material vendors get full they'll stopp buying materials as well.  It's not a limitless purchasing the vendors do.  That's how they are trying to keep supply and demand from getting out of control as you only have to buy armor once (or a couple of times to upgrade as you find better stuff).
    I barely understood what you were trying to say in that post.

With respect to storage, I have plenty of means of "storing" and "retrieving" crafting materials at the moment, and these means are the material traders.  What I do not have is the means to store equipment, customized items, holiday items, the occasional gold I find but don't want to sell right away.

As for the economy... There are no real resouce sinks except FoW armor, so prices tend to be really low.  As for traders not buying stuff... The only time I've seen that is when major runes got switched.  The old -50 health runes cannot be sold to traders.

If you don't understand how the game economy works (as per my post) you will not understand how it will be affected.  Basically it boils down like this.

1)  You try to sell something to a vendor (not the same for merchants)
    2)  The servers do an inventory check (they only sell what players sell to them, so if nothing is sold they can't offer it) and look to see if they have hit max inventory (they don't just keep buying everything you offer).
    3)  They do a supply/demand check (if there is more in inventory then selling they offer less money, etc.)
    4) The price they quote is given based on the supply/demand value from #3.

The same thing occurs if you want to buy something from a vendor.
    All vendors across all servers and districts use the same inventory pool.

If everyone were to drop items on a vendor they would ruin the supply/demand value, they would max out inventory stocks, and might get to the point where the vendors would refuse to buy stuff until they made some sales; and then even when they did it would ve even more worthless than stuff is now.

I've had vendor refuse to buy some things from me that were very common and unwanted runes....  Also, on the day of the dragon helms being released, the dye vendors kept running out of dye.  It isn't a limitless supply, as they only stock what is sold to them by players.  And when they ran out of things, they just don't offer it until someone sells them some more.

I understand how the traders work.  Except that they don't refuse to buy stuff.  Each item has a minimum sell price.  Wood, for example, sells for a minimum of 40g per 10.  Traders will never pay less than this price for wood.  Merchants also will never pay less than this price for wood.  Therefore, if the traders ever refuse to buy the good, players will still be able to sell it o merchants for the same price.  This applies to runes as well, though their minimum price is 25g.

Currently, many materials and runes are at their lowest price.  They cannot go any lower.  Even if every other player in GW did like I do and sell materials to the traders, the prices to buy would not get any cheaper and the economy would not change one bit.

Is what the proposed material storage will do to change this is provide a buffer.  Players like me will use the material storage when the prices are bottomed out and jump to sell when the prices increase for a little extra profit.  This means there will be much lower sudden increases in demand, like when a new expansion is released and everyone is buying new armor or armor for their new characters.