Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Up comming Korean MMO's look much better then the western

Comments

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Holy crap how much HP do you have?

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Darkchronic
    Why do people keep spelling 'coming' wrong? It's just one 'm'. Not a flame, just an observance.

Anyway, I'll be excited in ANY MMORPG when it's released and I can play it.

ArchLord is still awful though.

Because not everybody is from an english speaking country, hence my spelling isn't perfect.

Heh, didn't mean anything insulting, I guess I'm just a spelling Nazi.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Why do people keep spelling 'coming' wrong? It's just one 'm'. Not a flame, just an observance.

Because not everybody is from an english speaking country, hence my spelling isn't perfect.

When I read that, I initially assumed you were from an Asian country.... and everything started to make sense. Then I looked at your profile and you are once again an enigma to me. ;)
  • SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Heh, didn't mean anything insulting, I guess I'm just a spelling Nazi.

Don't be a lOOser!   
  • ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

here, look at the Aion E3 trailer

to me, it looks far more impressive then anything vanguard has shown.

so what do you guys think?

Imagine that, Gameloading going lips to ass on another Korean MMO. You should move to Korea dude, then you can tout how great Korean grindfests are to people that want to listen. Good day sir!
  • ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

Sure, it looks great, but as we all know graphics isn't everything. Most korean mmorpgs offers very little content  instead they focus heavily on grind which they obviously love over there hence the reason why they never become popular over here. I've yet to see a korean mmorpg that actually is fun to play rather than a mind numbing grindfest.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

A couple of the 2 most recurring complaints about Asian MMOs is that it's a big grind fest and everyone looks the same.

Well, what's the end game in nearly every Western MMO? Grinding high level dungeons or monsters for months on end to get special armor that makes you look like everyone else.

I personally am getting VERY tired of the graphics for Western MMOs. They all look so horribly ugly. Not your typical garden variety ugly either, I'm talking full on pug fugly. Even the upcoming Western MMOs are absolute dogs.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

A couple of the 2 most recurring complaints about Asian MMOs is that it's a big grind fest and everyone looks the same.
    Well, what's the end game in nearly every Western MMO? Grinding high level dungeons or monsters for months on end to get special armor that makes you look like everyone else.
    I personally am getting VERY tired of the graphics for Western MMOs. They all look so horribly ugly. Not your typical garden variety ugly either, I'm talking full on pug fugly. Even the upcoming Western MMOs are absolute dogs.

most korean mmos ive played have graphics directly off of the super nintendo. I dont mind graphics being so so if the content is good. But all the korean mmos Ive played havent had jack squat for immersability. Get your grind on, kill everyone else when done. Woooo Weee now thats cutting edge.

P.S. Im glad I dont live in Korea if this is the extent of their mmo-entertainment.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Mylon
    Korean MMORPGs look good.  I won't doubt that.  However, the gameplay in each and every one of them sucks.  Maybe these games could prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

What he said....

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Why don't you guys really sit down and target what is bad about a specific game so you don't repeat the same mistakes again, instead of doing a quick analysis of a games origin and miss out on some great games?

If a game has SNES graphics and you don't like SNES graphics then don't play them.

If you don't like the grind, then play through a games tutorial; and if it was long a repetative or worse yet didn't have one, don't play it.

If you like action packed combat, then go into the game using the trial and swing a few times.  If was slow and boring then don't play it.  You can even watch a trailer to see this.

If you like gameplay, then look at the game features and see if something interests you.  Unlike most American Games, Korean Games implement every feature they promised.  It might not be up to your expectations but it will be in game.

Some of you guys set yourself up for a bad time when you go in trying a free game expecting it will be fun.  Don't fool yourself and play something of quality.  Quality usually means it will have a monthly fee attached to it.

Originally posted by CleffyII

Why don't you guys really sit down and target what is bad about a specific game so you don't repeat the same mistakes again, instead of doing a quick analysis of a games origin and miss out on some great games?
    If a game has SNES graphics and you don't like SNES graphics then don't play them.
    If you don't like the grind, then play through a games tutorial; and if it was long a repetative or worse yet didn't have one, don't play it.
    If you like action packed combat, then go into the game using the trial and swing a few times.  If was slow and boring then don't play it.  You can even watch a trailer to see this.
    If you like gameplay, then look at the game features and see if something interests you.  Unlike most American Games, Korean Games implement every feature they promised.  It might not be up to your expectations but it will be in game.
    Some of you guys set yourself up for a bad time when you go in trying a free game expecting it will be fun.  Don't fool yourself and play something of quality.  Quality usually means it will have a monthly fee attached to it.

I agree with you 100%, but Im willing to give any game a try at least once, and only the Korean games seem to disappoint me time and time again.
  • Xerion12Xerion12 Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by Ashkent

Originally posted by godpuppet
    Cant say that Korean MMO's look better. Western MMO's definately lead the way in creativity on all MMO aspects.

But I can say MMO's in general are on the decline. Fantasy MMO's seem to all be degenerates of EQ + LOTR and Sci-fi MMO's seem largely untapped.

There are some Gems im waiting for: Conan & Fallen Earth.

I cant stand Korean MMO's, I hate the anime style.

far from it. the korean marker leads on creativity. They have MMORPG's on close about everything. every sport  you can imagine, racing, shooter mmo's. everything. not even 1/3rd comes to the west. trust me mate, do some research on foreign mmo's and you will see that the koreans are far ahead of us.

but all of those games are crap or just grind fests. when you start churning out anything at that high rate, quality goes down the toilet.

You win.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

It is said that in the end nothing will matter.  All existing and past MMOs are going to be washed in front of the ultimate, the magnificiant, the unique and unearthly MMO that BioWare is about to release (a few years wait with that knowledge is easier to bear than a month of hopelessness).  These are the last moments of a dying era.  A new Era is upon us all! 

Go BioWare Gods Go!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    1 Question...will this come out this year or at least in January/February 2007 ?

• JAttractiveJAttractive Member Posts: 149
    To name Vanguard and LOTR online as the comparison for the top Korean games coming out is not fair at all. How about comparing those Korean games to Gods and Heroes, Conan and Warhammer Online? Suddenly in comparison things much better from the western side with just as much creativity. No EQ clones in that bunch...

I really couldn't care less if a game was made on Mars. if it is good I will play it. From the games I have tested and played though I have yet to find a Korean game I enjoyed more than a week yet western games have kept me occupied almost 2 years in some cases. That doesn't make them "better" just more appealling to me personally. I would love it if this crop of Korean games broke out of the mold many of them seem to fit in to and opened up a whole new market of MMO's to me. Right now though I have to admit that I have very low expectations from Korean games based on past experiences (they always seem to look nice but gameplay is horribly boring) and consider it a non-market for me. Hopefully this changes soon...

I'm not holding my breath though.

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

It all goes down to preference. Gods and Heroes looks okay, but doesn't really interests me all that much. Conan interests me the most out of the 3, but in all honesty, Aion and various other games that aren't out yet, interests me more. Plainly I'm not too hyped about the combat system in Conan, because it just looks really slow and I was never a fan of Conan to begin with. Warhammer actually looks like a clone from the videos, so it interests me the least out of those 3. And take note, Aion is probably taking game mechanics from some games ( Particularly Combat:GW, Flying destination:WOW) to try and make a better game, but they also have their own things as it seems (Cinematics, environmental effects, and a certain Stylized Graphic/Animation that apparently hardly any of you westerners understand).

Now lets keep it simple, this site is inhabited by mostly WESTERNERS. Yes, Europe is part of a western culture. And that's why you guys prefer a western type game over an eastern one. Especially, because there's different things we look for and see in a game. Where you guys probably like Morrowind or whatever like that more. I prefer Seiken Densetsu( Man, I wish they would do a 3d version that would stay true with the feel of the original 2d ones), Zelda, FF (I'm actually bored of FF right now, cause I want better combat, which is in the upcoming release and better draw if possible). And I think we all like Fable though, cause it sort of has both cultures in one.

Note- Someone who said something about SUN... Don't look forward to that game. It's not action (hack n' slash) as it says, it's point and click like anything else, with HEAVY INSTANCING!

Also about alot of Korean games being about grind. It's not that ppl like to grind. The problem is you ppl (including myself sometimes) associates beating an mmorpg by maxing out your level. Versus people in asia, who just plays the game and even though they don't get to max level, they are still able to do alot of stuff in the game and actually enjoy it, rather than LOOKING FOR the grind. But I think the trend is more ppl actually do associate beating an mmorpg by maxing out their level, and besides it's unhealthy to play long hours just to level.

• SharShar Member Posts: 43

Someone check the temperature in Hell... it must be frozen over if I actually mostly agree with one of Gameloading's posts. 

Aion definately looks interesting in the least.  I tend to enjoy the artistic quality that Koreans bring to their MMO's.  If we could just blend their artistry with some of the features western gamers like we would have a true winner.  The flight and wings in the video are just plain awesome.  No denying it. 

Personally I don't care who made the game or where it's from.  If it's a solid title, good mechanics, lore, graphics etc... I am usually too busy playing to care who's name is on the box.

I just wish the childish argument between eastern and western games would just die... it's as stupid as the kiddy console wars.  My game will pwn your game just needs to stop.  Insulting western gamers isn't going to convert anyone nor is insulting eastern game.  Advertise the merits of a game, not that it's going to be better than game X.

If you have played great Korean games that haven't made it here, tell people about them and why they were great.  It might help generate enough interest to get them brought over and translated!  We really do need more variety and more games that break the EQ mold!  More fun, less grinding! More fun, less fedex quests!

That said... there are game stereotypes for a reason.  Look at US games... how many games do we produce that are driving/sports related when compared to other countries?  (bleh)  Stereotypes aren't created in a vaccuum. 

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    looks like PvP is unbalanced.  but it doesn't look/sound like another korean mass production type thingy

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Ashkent
    Originally posted by godpuppetCant say that Korean MMO's look better. Western MMO's definately lead the way in creativity on all MMO aspects.But I can say MMO's in general are on the decline. Fantasy MMO's seem to all be degenerates of EQ + LOTR and Sci-fi MMO's seem largely untapped.There are some Gems im waiting for: Conan & Fallen Earth.I cant stand Korean MMO's, I hate the anime style.
    far from it. the korean marker leads on creativity. They have MMORPG's on close about everything. every sport you can imagine, racing, shooter mmo's. everything. not even 1/3rd comes to the west. trust me mate, do some research on foreign mmo's and you will see that the koreans are far ahead of us.

but all of those games are crap or just grind fests. when you start churning out anything at that high rate, quality goes down the toilet.

Please, western games are far far from quality.
    There is one big title western game that has made any headway at all in sales and thats WoW. Just about everything else has had quality issues of some sort or another.
    Look on the list to the left here and find all the quality western designed games.
    SWG? nope. EQII, well if they stop revamping it maybe, AC? nope - outdated they let the quality go to hell, AC2? oops nope dead, D&DO? lol not even close, Horizons? Dark and Light? Do you guys honestly think LotR is going to be a "quality" title based on Turbines record??? lol hmmmm dunno what to say here. (techically speaking Sony NA's parent company is Japanese but EQII and SWG flopped and shut down in Asia)
    I'm not saying Asian games are "better" but western games have a solid problem with quality. It sucks and western companies keeping rushing out games half finished or just plain old broken.
    All of the solid, quality and inovative games are not made by American companies. Or they are published by NCSoft a Korean company that ensures everything they publish at least works.
    Ryzom, Eve, FFXI, L2, CoH, GW, CoV

Also i'de have to say that FFXI is much more closer to a western MMO. Yes you have to grind, but there is also a ton of quests, missions, community, and other things to do beside lgetting level 75. I see it more of a EQ2 or WoW MMO, more than a Korean MMO. But that' me.

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Lazzaro

Also i'de have to say that FFXI is much more closer to a western MMO. Yes you have to grind, but there is also a ton of quests, missions, community, and other things to do beside lgetting level 75. I see it more of a EQ2 or WoW MMO, more than a Korean MMO. But that' me.

FFXI is still an Eastern MMO. Game Mechanics can't be associated with Western, especially since most game mechanics came from Japan. Yes, Japan is in Asia and that makes it Eastern...

Nintendo - Asian - Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden(NES) etc...

Playstation - Asian - FF series, Most RPGs, Metal Gear Solid, Streetfighter, Dead or Alive

Sega - Asian - Sonic the hedgehog, Tekken, Virtua Fighter

Space Invaders and various old arcade games - ASIAN (Japan)

Given they're all from japan...Bandai, Tecmo, Square-soft, Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, etc....

Anyways, those u listed are basic game mechanics, and overall shouldn't be associated with either side.

The only thing I can think that can be attributed to a Western vs Eastern, is the combat system and graphics. Given games like Mario feel like western...guess what, it was made in Asia, so doesn't that make it Asian? ( Given it's cartoonish like western, but its gameplay and creativity comes from asia )...

Originally posted by LordDarkmist

Originally posted by Lazzaro Also i'de have to say that FFXI is much more closer to a western MMO. Yes you have to grind, but there is also a ton of quests, missions, community, and other things to do beside lgetting level 75. I see it more of a EQ2 or WoW MMO, more than a Korean MMO. But that' me.
    FFXI is still an Eastern MMO. Game Mechanics can't be associated with Western, especially since most game mechanics came from Japan. Yes, Japan is in Asia and that makes it Eastern...
    Nintendo - Asian - Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden(NES) etc...
    Playstation - Asian - FF series, Most RPGs, Metal Gear Solid, Streetfighter, Dead or Alive
    Sega - Asian - Sonic the hedgehog, Tekken, Virtua Fighter
    Space Invaders and various old arcade games - ASIAN (Japan)
    Given they're all from japan...Bandai, Tecmo, Square-soft, Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, etc....
    Anyways, those u listed are basic game mechanics, and overall shouldn't be associated with either side.

What I should say that it is a Eastern MMO, with more of what Western "MIGHT" like.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

Video trailers might look nice but every single Korean mmo has been the same. 0 depth, all grind. I am not saying I am looking forward to VG but Warhammer? Hell yeah.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    A online rpg without some sort of grind or character advancement would be boring as hell. DDO tried to minimize the XP grind but in the end people are still xp grinding on the adventures. However the secret to a succesful mmorpg would be to hide the grind well like WoW. Guildwars is also a great example how to hide the grinding altho it's not considered a "true" mmo but a cmorpg.
  • AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

i can tell you right now that Archlord is a huge steaming pile of crap.

the korean mmos might look good but they sure as hell don't PLAY good.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Looks like WoW with a mixture of GW.