Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another WoW refugee looking for a new home (roleplayer)

LordFaridLordFarid Member Posts: 24

I'm getting sick and tired of WoW. More specifically, I hate the end-game for wow. Heres the thing, I don't like instances, especially raid instances. Now I understand EQ1 is pretty hardcore but EQ2 is a lot more casual. I have some questions to ask tod decide if this game is for me.

1: If i understand correctly there are RP servers and PVP servers. Are there RP-PVP servers?

2: How is PVP compared to WoW?

3: How is questing, soloing compared to wow?

4: How is the RP on RP and RPPVP servers (assuming RPPVP exist)?

5: Is the end-game here like wow that if you dont have a couple of hours to play non-stop and focused, basically you might as well log off.

6: Does casual content at end-game in this game consist of grinding 1000000000000 mobs of a specific kind?

Please, please tell me I've been missing something and this game is quite awesome or something. I'm so sick and tired of WoW that I can't wait to get an excuse to get away. The game im most excited about, Age of Conan is so far away and i need something else, but aside from this game there doesn't seem to be much.

Comments

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

1) I believe so, yes. I will Check later to confirm this.

2) Well, I'm not really into PvP, but from the basic knowledge I have about it: Upon death, there is a chance money and an item will drop, but I read that items don't dop that often. Also, I think you can be attacked anywhere at anytime.

3) There are tons and tons of quests that pretty much all classes can do Solo. There are also different types of mobs made for soloing, grouping, and raiding.

4) RP on RP is, from my experience, only found when you join an RP guild. I rarely ever see anyone RP outside of that, except for the emotes that most people use when you are walking by, buying/selling something, etc.
    I cannot speark for the RP on the RPPvP servers.

5/6) Basically you can craft, work on Alternate Advancement powers (starts at level 20, must have the KoS expansion), Do Heritage/writ quests for status and Guild Status, or, if you choose, you can Raid. Crafting is a huge part of EQ2, as you actually have levels for it. Not really sure about Raid, I am not a Raider. And I believe there are a lot of Heritage/Writ quests to keep you busy for a while :)

Hope that helped.

• Prophet621Prophet621 Member Posts: 13

I left Wow...again and recently downloaded the EQ2 trial. Though I absolutely hated EQ I have to say that based on my limited view of EQ2 it's not bad and may keep me playing until one of the other games I'm watching comes out.

These is at least one RP/PvP server. Can't remember the name but when you choose a server it is listed. I am on this one. I can't say how much RP there is since I'm on a newbie trial isle but can't be any worse than the nonexistant RP on WoWs RP/PvP servers ( I have characters on two WoW RP/PvP servers and never see any RP)

I haven't had a chance to try PvP yet.

The questing seems much more detailed than WoW and you can hold more than 20. (100+ if I read correctly) As for soloing, this was one of my concerns also (see my post here about class questions). Most classes can solo pretty easily from what I'm told which is a huge plus for me since I don't really like grouping but also don't always have time to group.

• Jeff44Jeff44 Member Posts: 459

Originally posted by LordFarid

I'm getting sick and tired of WoW. More specifically, I hate the end-game for wow. Heres the thing, I don't like instances, especially raid instances. Now I understand EQ1 is pretty hardcore but EQ2 is a lot more casual. I have some questions to ask tod decide if this game is for me.

1: If i understand correctly there are RP servers and PVP servers. Are there RP-PVP servers?
    5: Is the end-game here like wow that if you dont have a couple of hours to play non-stop and focused, basically you might as well log off.
    6: Does casual content at end-game in this game consist of grinding 1000000000000 mobs of a specific kind?

Please, please tell me I've been missing something and this game is quite awesome or something. I'm so sick and tired of WoW that I can't wait to get an excuse to get away. The game im most excited about, Age of Conan is so far away and i need something else, but aside from this game there doesn't seem to be much.

I've been playing a month or so, and am also a refugee from WOW.

1.) Yes, there is one

2.) I do not PVP, however as I understand it many that EQ2's PVP is more intense due to the fact that some items and money are lootable off of the corpses of those you killed.

3.) I solo almost exclusively. I am having a ball, much more so than I did in WOW, because I feel a part of a larger story. Almost any class is soloable, however, some are much easier to solo with than others.

4.) Not been to the RPPVP server, but the RP on Lucan is there if you want it. Lots of nice people, at least those I have dealt with.

5. and 6.) Can't help you there, as I have not reached the end game yet.

All in all, I like EQ2 because it allows me the flexibility to be as casual or as hard-core as my life schedule permits, but it does not insult my intelligence with the kind of handholding that WOW does. My short impression based on my playing time is that EQ2 is at its core a harder game, requiring more thought and effort than WOW, and that is a good thing.

Give it a shot, I got Kingdom of Sky (which includes the original EQ2 program) at Best Buy for $30.

Best of luck,

-Jeff44
    user
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Originally posted by LordFarid

Yes, there is one called Venekor
    Im not a PvP'er but from what ive heard from those who have tried both, the general concensus is that EQ2's PvP is better.
    Solo questing is great, i mostly solo and have racked up a quest count of about 1200.  Some i needed groups for but there are great solo quest lines that progress through different zones as you complete them.
    Not on a RP server so cant answer that one. As mentioned earlier there are some great guilds on the RP servers who do RP.
    Ive almost hit the cap and i still have stuff to do that isnt raiding.
    No, there are enough high end zones that you can flick between if you get bored hunting the same mobs in one zone.

I would suggest giving it a go and seeing for yourself, some would say the game sucks others would say it rocks, it all comes down to personal taste, you will know after a month if you like it or hate it.