Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is there a mmo for me? (asked yet again. sorry, peeps.)

Alright, I know that this type of thread is as common as water in a river, but I'd prefer to not die stupid (if that's still possible ::::02:: ). And since I lack the needed knowledge and exposure to the MMO genre, I think it is my best option to just ask here for some recommendations.

Again, I know this creeps up every so often. My apologies.

----

O.K. , here we go.

- I'd prefer a Sci-Fi environment, though if everything else fails, I *may* choose a fantasy based game

- I am a casual gamer who gets about 10-15 hours a week logged

- due to odd online times and real life responsibilites, I cannot predict how long I will stay online at any given time... maybe I'll be online 2 hours, maybe only 20 minutes, I normally cannot tell in advance. This sadly means most of the time I play solo or in duo/trio setups, so any game requiring big-ass groups with lots of pre-planning are off limits, I am afraid

- I am not intereseted in PvP
while I do not have a problem with PvP being part of a game, I do not want to participate myself, so any kind of forced PvP is a no-no in my book (optional PvP is okay)

- my main interest is exploration and just idling my time away with whatever catches my fancy at the time, so a big, open world where I can go where I want when I want would be nice

- player driven economy (instead of a loot driven one) would also be a definite plus

- I am not interested in questing or grinding or raiding, if they are optional parts of the game, fine, but if they are required to get somewhere with your character, it is a minus in my book

- due to a slight disability IRL, I would prefer games that *do not* have twitch based controls

- some casual roleplaying would also be nice

- steep learning curve is *not* a problem, I am willing to dedicate some time to learn a game

- game does not need to be free, a subscription-based game is okay also

- a big point for me is the customization of my character, both looks and skills/attributes/traits ect.
Please, no set classes that are all alike.

- availability of meaningful non-combat activities would be a nice bonus

I think this sums up the majority of points.

My thanks to anybody reading all this and maybe even answering with a (meaningful) hint or recommendation.

*bows deep and leaves*

Twycross448

Comments

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    sounds like you need to try anarchy online, this site advertises it constantly and its free for all the old world stuff, so you can try it with no money down!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    I would strongly advise you to try out the free 14 day trial for EVE online at WWW.eve-online.com . EVE has everything you want, although it has a strong pvp aspect you can avoid all pvp if you wish by staying in an NPC corporation and keeping to high sec space ( 0.5 and above). EVE has the best market economy of any game I've played and giving the free trial a go can't hurt.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ZeroTrackZeroTrack Member Posts: 2
    Ah the EVE lovers ^_^ Twycross it sounds like you and I are on the same quest, are selection is limited at the moment. As I have tried many I'll give you my humble views on them

EVE: Yes, it's ok, very pretty, and the interface is good. However, it takes a looong time. The world is big, so going from one place to antoher can take 10-15 minutes, and if you have a slow bulkey ship, way longer. Plus skills are time based, so training to that skill you really want could take weeks or months. And if you want serious money mos of your time will be spent mining, which is click click, read a book for half an hour while your ship does the work. Don't get me wron, I playd for 3 months, enjoyed the community, saw some wonderfull space art, even fought in some fairly epic battles, but all and all...meh.

SWG: I loved SWG, but that was a long time ago, since then I hear things have changed alot and the community is ... bitter, I met alot of very nice people but alot of not so nice as well, alot of people really hate SWG, and I'll admit it had some big problems, the bigest at this point would likley be lack of players, the citys where all but empty by the time the space expantion came out, and now I'm sure the land will seem barren, and yet littered with a maze of player building long abondonded. I played for 6 months and really enjoyed it, but since I havn't played in 2 years, hard to say how it's declined.

Saga of Ryzom: Just playing this now, only a week in, seems ok, if a bit dated. Personally I'd like somethign a little more slick.

CoH: Great customization, too bad it didn't carry over to the enimes ^_^ Lots of fun, combat is good, but no crafting, and your fighting the same enimies again and again and again....and again. Got bored after a 2 months.

WoW: No review would be complete with this monster, WoW is good, it is big and well done and wonderfull, and it's popular, which means alot of dorks. 1 year on this one, but I'm very tired of fantasy.

That's all I can think of at this point I've played tons more that arn't really worth mentioning (Second Life, Tall in the Desert, etc. )

I think I might check out Anarchy Online next, some people seem to think it's ok.

Good luck, and if you find one let me know!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by ZeroTrack
    Ah the EVE lovers ^_^ Twycross it sounds like you and I are on the same quest, are selection is limited at the moment. As I have tried many I'll give you my humble views on them

EVE: Yes, it's ok, very pretty, and the interface is good. However, it takes a looong time. The world is big, so going from one place to antoher can take 10-15 minutes, and if you have a slow bulkey ship, way longer. Plus skills are time based, so training to that skill you really want could take weeks or months. And if you want serious money mos of your time will be spent mining, which is click click, read a book for half an hour while your ship does the work. Don't get me wron, I playd for 3 months, enjoyed the community, saw some wonderfull space art, even fought in some fairly epic battles, but all and all...meh.

SWG: I loved SWG, but that was a long time ago, since then I hear things have changed alot and the community is ... bitter, I met alot of very nice people but alot of not so nice as well, alot of people really hate SWG, and I'll admit it had some big problems, the bigest at this point would likley be lack of players, the citys where all but empty by the time the space expantion came out, and now I'm sure the land will seem barren, and yet littered with a maze of player building long abondonded. I played for 6 months and really enjoyed it, but since I havn't played in 2 years, hard to say how it's declined.

Saga of Ryzom: Just playing this now, only a week in, seems ok, if a bit dated. Personally I'd like somethign a little more slick.

CoH: Great customization, too bad it didn't carry over to the enimes ^_^ Lots of fun, combat is good, but no crafting, and your fighting the same enimies again and again and again....and again. Got bored after a 2 months.

WoW: No review would be complete with this monster, WoW is good, it is big and well done and wonderfull, and it's popular, which means alot of dorks. 1 year on this one, but I'm very tired of fantasy.

That's all I can think of at this point I've played tons more that arn't really worth mentioning (Second Life, Tall in the Desert, etc. )

I think I might check out Anarchy Online next, some people seem to think it's ok.

Good luck, and if you find one let me know!

/me Drowns a kitten.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    AO or EVE.
  • MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Just look at "The Saga of Ryzom" Main Page
    They´ve just implemented a new Trial that gets very good responses from new Players and old ones alike.
    It´s got what you want it seems. I won´t start a rant at how "great and good and cool" the Game may be. That´s for everyone himself to decide. Give it a try and see for yourself.

CU
    MaDSaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I make far more money doing level 4 missions in lowsec then I ever would mining in lowsec. My character has not mined for over 2 of my 3+ years in this game...it is NOT a required activity. I'm able to do quite well for myself considering I only have time to play eve at most a few hours a week right now.
  • ZeroTrackZeroTrack Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Minsc

I make far more money doing level 4 missions in lowsec then I ever would mining in lowsec. My character has not mined for over 2 of my 3+ years in this game...it is NOT a required activity. I'm able to do quite well for myself considering I only have time to play eve at most a few hours a week right now.

Just my opintion ^_^ But you've also played for 3 years, so you have all the skills to make things easy, and level 4 missions are good, IF you have invested the time needed to get a good ship and skills.

But by all means, try it out, I think EVE is neither great nor bad, it's just..EVE. Nothing quite like it, nothing over the top about it. *grin*

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Minsc

Just my opintion ^_^ But you've also played for 3 years, so you have all the skills to make things easy, and level 4 missions are good, IF you have invested the time needed to get a good ship and skills.

But by all means, try it out, I think EVE is neither great nor bad, it's just..EVE. Nothing quite like it, nothing over the top about it. *grin*

There are tons of 6-month old players doing level 4 missions without problems.
  • acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    hehe u sound like an Old swg player.  hehe, Unfortunatelly There is
    nothing out there for US,  I think saga of ryzon is the closest, Hell,
    All we can hope is that SOE would stop with their stupid pride and
    bring back a clasic swg server, Ohh!!!  the EMu should be out soon
    (hopefully).

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I also suggest Saga of Ryzom. :) It fits all of your requirements. ryzom.com (<- link)

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

- I am not interested in questing or grinding or raiding, if they are optional parts of the game, fine, but if they are required to get somewhere with your character, it is a minus in my book

Just curious, what other options are there beside questing/grinding to advance? (with the exception of EvE Online very cool/frustrating advancement in real time system, I can't think of another).

I would give both EVE online and Saga of Ryzom a try. I bet you'll find something to like in either one of them.

• mszvmszv Member Posts: 41

Wow - this is exactly the kind of MMORPG that I am looking for, except that a fantasy setup is OK by me.

Any other suggestions out there?

Regards,
    mszv

• Twycross448Twycross448 Member Posts: 2

My thanks to all of you.
    I will likely try EVE and AO first, since Ryzom is leaning into the Fantasy variety a little, at least in my perception.

Again, thanks to all of you.

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    Your options are basically AO or EVE. Both are casual-friendly, high character customization, big world games.

EVE has the market, non-combat paths, and lack of twitch-combat, AO has the optional PvP.

• Originally posted by Agricola1
    I would strongly advise you to try out the free 14 day trial for EVE online at WWW.eve-online.com . EVE has everything you want, although it has a strong pvp aspect you can avoid all pvp if you wish by staying in an NPC corporation and keeping to high sec space ( 0.5 and above). EVE has the best market economy of any game I've played and giving the free trial a go can't hurt.

I would also suggest EvE.  The only problem there is the no-PvP part.  EvE doesn't coddle people.  You don't have to be a PvP'er but you need to be strong to survive.  You want to do certain things you will are the very least nned to negotiate with who ever controls that area of space or higher mercenary guards.  If you want to stay in 0.5 space, you can solo fine and just piddle around to your hearts delight.  EvE is big and complex and capitalistic.

Auto Assault fits some of your stuff but also does not fit other parts.  The game is probably too quest and loot orietned for you and is a game for killers really. People who like toi kill in Pve and pvp.  It never forces you to even be in a pvp zone (they have pve and and pvp version of appropraite instances) though so it might help you there.