Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression Server Insanity

2»

Comments

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by bedolla3401

so what i have been hearing is EQ1 popular again and worth playing with this progression server?

Not really, The way sony set the server up its like a "race" with the ubar guilds coming out of the woodwork and the other 98% of the server left eating dust and leftovers.

This is by no means going to stay classic very long, in fact kunark is unlocked and opening soon with sov,sol and pop to follow faster than you might think. Guilds like FoH,RoI and IV will see to that.

I expect the next set of servers sony makes to feature a timer based system, but I dont see this happening anytime soon..

Sony just cant get it threw there head that catering to uber guids wont keep their player base. They could learn alot from bilzzard about how to run a mmorpg. Like instancing nagy, vox, POH and POF for starters and listening to their community and giving a "classic" server or the very least a server with 4-6 month timers.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Shazzel

so what i have been hearing is EQ1 popular again and worth playing with this progression server?

Not really, The way sony set the server up its like a "race" with the ubar guilds coming out of the woodwork and the other 98% of the server left eating dust and leftovers.

This is by no means going to stay classic very long, in fact kunark is unlocked and opening soon with sov,sol and pop to follow faster than you might think. Guilds like FoH,RoI and IV will see to that.

I expect the next set of servers sony makes to feature a timer based system, but I dont see this happening anytime soon..

Sony just cant get it threw there head that catering to uber guids wont keep their player base. They could learn alot from bilzzard about how to run a mmorpg. Like instancing nagy, vox, POH and POF for starters and listening to their community and giving a "classic" server or the very least a server with 4-6 month timers.

Instancing sucks. Also, who cares about the uber guilds that can survive without being employed? The real players are those of us just happy to be playing good old release EQ. I haven't even spoken with any FoH, RoI or any other super duper I have no job guilds and I have talked to tons of people and am having tons of fun.

Progression servers are packed more than any WoW server, and plus, it's not WoW. It's EQ! I forgot how engaging a difficult game is. Until Vanguard comes out, I get to play EQ again.

Also, in case any of you are like me and didn't know about the redone areas, Nektulos Forest, North and South Ro, Lavastorm and the city of Freeport have been revamped to look more up to date and they look great. Some people don't like Freeport but I think it looks as good as EQ2. I think they object to it not being the same anymore. I, however, like change.

• GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by anarchyart

Originally posted by Shazzel

Instancing sucks. Also, who cares about the uber guilds that can survive without being employed? The real players are those of us just happy to be playing good old release EQ. I haven't even spoken with any FoH, RoI or any other super duper I have no job guilds and I have talked to tons of people and am having tons of fun.

Progression servers are packed more than any WoW server, and plus, it's not WoW. It's EQ! I forgot how engaging a difficult game is. Until Vanguard comes out, I get to play EQ again.

Also, in case any of you are like me and didn't know about the redone areas, Nektulos Forest, North and South Ro, Lavastorm and the city of Freeport have been revamped to look more up to date and they look great. Some people don't like Freeport but I think it looks as good as EQ2. I think they object to it not being the same anymore. I, however, like change.

I forgot how fun it is to sit for 12 minutes waiting for your mana to recharge with nothing to do...great fun.

I love the new design of Freeport where everything we have come to know for the last 7 years has been moved around for no logical reason....great design.

Instancing sucks until you get cockblocked by some uber guild, but I guess you like timesinks, I don't.

Nek forest is now usable since they got rid of the tree painted walls in there and you can move around again, Lavastorm was never a zone populated by mid level slaughtering mobs like it is now....once again such logic but then it supports DoN which with the artificial timesinks in place won't be open for a year or more but we deal with a zone designed to support it now?

The berzerker trainers in Kaladim are great if you want a 10 slot bag, they didint' remove them or the newbie armor quests. Just all the other ones seem to be missing. Guess that was an oversight standing there by the bank like they are.

Yep so well done and so much fun watching FoH and others race ahead, but was exactly what I thought it would be and typical Sony.

Keep the rose colored glasses on and keep remembering how it was "so great" in the "old" days for Sony will never bring them back if this is what they consider "catering to the masses wanting classic EQ"

• OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by Gnomad
    ...Keep the rose colored glasses on and keep remembering how it was "so great" in the "old" days for Sony will never bring them back if this is what they consider "catering to the masses wanting classic EQ

I play Everquest, because no matter what others may think of the game, how easy it may be or how hard it may be, or how clunky, because it is the toughest game out there, that I can find that challenges me, that I am still able to advance through. Why are you here?

I forgot how fun it is to sit for 12 minutes waiting for your mana to recharge with nothing to do...great fun.

I love the new design of Freeport where everything we have come to know for the last 7 years has been moved around for no logical reason....great design.

Instancing sucks until you get cockblocked by some uber guild, but I guess you like timesinks, I don't.

Nek forest is now usable since they got rid of the tree painted walls in there and you can move around again, Lavastorm was never a zone populated by mid level slaughtering mobs like it is now....once again such logic but then it supports DoN which with the artificial timesinks in place won't be open for a year or more but we deal with a zone designed to support it now?

The berzerker trainers in Kaladim are great if you want a 10 slot bag, they didint' remove them or the newbie armor quests. Just all the other ones seem to be missing. Guess that was an oversight standing there by the bank like they are.

Yep so well done and so much fun watching FoH and others race ahead, but was exactly what I thought it would be and typical Sony.

A) Actually, that is part of the original "classic" 1999 release version of Everquest. Thought that was what you wanted? Or wait?! Did you want just the good parts?! - who's wearing rose tinted glasses?

B) YOu don't want to explore strange new zones, discover new NPCs and be the first to locate and map out some new area? Kinda hard to put something new in a classic load... Not sure I see the point of redoing FP, but as I read, it had something to do with server optimization, either that or they did just to annoy you.

C) Instancing is not the point of a social MMO. It's a bad logic system to get around a bad logic system... but it does get around it <lol>

D) Even SoE admitted that the Change to Nektulos forest was a mistake. <sheesh> Get over it.

D2) Lavastorm is actually the leveling area for Dark Elves. They have the choice of moving into the Commons or Lavastorm. Most of the quests aim them at Lavastorm. I recommend splitting your attention and doing both areas.

E) Perhaps, SoE left them in because it was easier to leave them in, knowing that the class would be opened sooner than later, rather than remove them? Just guessing...

F) What is this fascination with Fires of Heaven? Are you so concerned with how other people play that you can't enjoy the game for yourself? If it bothers you, ask if you can guild with them or move to the other server so you don't have to see them :)

Why is it you play?

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

Originally posted by Gnomad

Keep the rose colored glasses on and keep remembering how it was "so great" in the "old" days for Sony will never bring them back if this is what they consider "catering to the masses wanting classic EQ"

Wow, write much? And to respond, I'm glad I like it and you don't. You can wax on negatively all you want, I'm busy playing the best MMORPG ever, and it still gives me that same thrill. I played for a couple years in a raiding guild. I am flagged for everything but Time on AB server. I know how to play, I kick ass and take names and I like to be challenged. I don't care about the timesinks, I revel in the constrictive ruleset. Roamers, adds, corpse runs for dying, trains, aggro. I like it, and I'm glad.

Oh and cry about FoH more, I don't ever want to be them. They're uber in EQ, I'm uber irl.

• Cognix101Cognix101 Member Posts: 2
    Kelethin diving parties, wooo!  Haven't had that much fun since...Kelethin diving parties 7 years ago! 

It's a little sad that searching for a corpse in the dark isn't as scary as it used to be.  It hasn't taken me more than 10 minutes to recover a corpse from starting points, and I haven't died once being naked--that was big part of the fun and skill involved back then, no?

Originally posted by Cognix101
    Kelethin diving parties, wooo!  Haven't had that much fun since...Kelethin diving parties 7 years ago! 

It's a little sad that searching for a corpse in the dark isn't as scary as it used to be.  It hasn't taken me more than 10 minutes to recover a corpse from starting points, and I haven't died once being naked--that was big part of the fun and skill involved back then, no?

Are you playing on the progression servers? I have had some pretty long corpse runs. Running from Halas to WC is not 10 minutes.

• grapegrape Member Posts: 191
    Corpse runs. Sign me up!