Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression Server Insanity

WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Well, that was nuts, lol.  I couldn't even get on Combine but got on Sleeper.  450 people in Gfay and people were saying all the starting zones were the same.   Good luck getting a mob, lol.

What fun =))

Comments

• TithrielleTithrielle Member Posts: 547
    Absolute chaos.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Hehe agreed let the good times roll, excuse me I need some zzzzzzzz's now :)

Combine Server-Onidan- LvL 30 Necro

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    I agree.  I went through a few different locations- I found the Trolls
    and Ogres had it easiest (in terms of getting mobs to kill), but still
    over populated.

I wonder if $OE is listening and will do a few more servers like this.

-W.

• JoekabukeJoekabuke Member Posts: 191
    I logged onto Sleeper yesterday and saw 30 Wood ELves all alike and sitting in front of the Druid trainer. The lag was unbearable. I want to know has the new UI killed this game like EQ2's. I run WoW perfectly yet this 10 year old game runs like EQ2, go figure.

• LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by Joekabuke
    I logged onto Sleeper yesterday and saw 30 Wood ELves all alike and sitting in front of the Druid trainer. The lag was unbearable. I want to know has the new UI killed this game like EQ2's. I run WoW perfectly yet this 10 year old game runs like EQ2, go figure.

Agreed. For a such a old game the graphical lag is just silly. The only thing I found that helped somewhat was turning off Advanced Lighting, nothing else seemed to make any noticable difference. Not lower textures or disabling AA or anything.

• KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049
    300 players in Nek last night on Combine.  I don't think the other servers see 300 people in Nektulos in a month!  I ran around for 15 minutes before I killed anything because everything was getting killed the second it popped.  Lag was bad, but expected.  It was generally a fun experience.  I'm looking forward to this!

-----

Old timer.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599
    Similar to the lag the Bazaar used to get when Luclin came out?  Something that helped get around in there was put view distance to basically zero, go to first person, then look at the ground.  Pretty lame way to get around the lag but it worked.
    I 2 boxed on 1 system with all graphic effects maxed. I did not lag too badly, though more than I expected.  My video card is nothing special: Nvidia 6800 (256 meg).  

-W.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I haven't really lagged with a Radeon 9600. The only problem I've had is the game crashes on me if I do anything other than med. They've said I might have a video card in my PC. But I run all other games fine and I'm not upgrading this computer to play a 7 year old game.

• grapegrape Member Posts: 191
    I played it for about two days and gave up on it. Brought back some fun memories but It was lacking something.

I don't remeber the graphics looking so horrible. I think I liked the old interface better. The new interface looks out of place with the graphics now.

Was fun, Thanks SOE for the free month. Don't think I'd continue though. The graphics is just too much for me to get over again.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    You can replace the new UI with a remake of the old one. But yeah, I'd personally like to be playing. But I don't see myself paying for a new video card when I can play any other game just fine with this one. And I can't see myself paying for something that crashes every 5 minutes. If I can run WoW, EQ2, SoR, DAoC, COH/COV on this pc, then EQ should run good to.

Same boat here. Every other game is fine except this one.And like the last pster before, the game is fine but not the same feeling as it was. It's just a ton of old timers who know the game inside and out, no noobs, just veteran players trying to level as fast as possible. You can never go back, time to move on.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I play without crashing with a Radeon 9250, so I doubt that the people posting here would actually need to upgrade their video cards to play.  You MIGHT want to update your drivers though.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    33 minutes left on patching, Can't wait to try the new server! I haven't played EQ in 3 years, looking forward to the insanity!

Same boat here. Every other game is fine except this one.And like the last pster before, the game is fine but not the same feeling as it was. It's just a ton of old timers who know the game inside and out, no noobs, just veteran players trying to level as fast as possible. You can never go back, time to move on.

I agree.  I am finding the progression servers a race to max.  No one is interested in redoing the content, just getting to end game first to prove how leet they are.  A total disappointment in my eyes.

-W.

• GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by GrimSkunk2

I agree.  I am finding the progression servers a race to max.  No one is interested in redoing the content, just getting to end game first to prove how leet they are.  A total disappointment in my eyes.

Have to agree, FoH is already closing in on level 30 on Combine (that was last night BTW) so shouldn't be too long before the first expansion is online. I will give it about 6 weeks max before this server catches up with the production servers.

Sleeper is a bit better but still loads of KSing, people selling bone chips for 1pp / stack etc... There is no way that people will play like the "old" days when either they are newer players or only interested in being to the endgame first.

If you want to get away from the graphics lag then get out of the newbie zones as fast as possible. Karana, EC, etc are basically lag free, Freeport, Qeynos, etc are a nightmare.

• sherman8199sherman8199 Member Posts: 18

6 weeks to what other production servers are at?

I don't think you thought that one through.  If you check the EQ Live site you can get a hint of what it will take to unlock the next expansion.  Seems 3 boss encounters to unlock Fear/Hate.  That's going to take time, camping gear, and lots of other stuff.  I'd be surprised if they got a raid force capable of doing Naggy in just 6 weeks.  Even if they allow raids, getting 72 people geared to take down Naggy will take some time.

I think it's fun, and if someone wants to race to do it, then that's there choice.  If they don't have anything else to do but play EverQuest, great for them.  But I'll enjoy my life, and I have a few more weeks to decide if I want to come back to EQ, but I'm tempted, that's for sure.

• TithrielleTithrielle Member Posts: 547

It's just a ton of old timers who know the game inside and out, no noobs, just veteran players trying to level as fast as possible. You can never go back, time to move on.

You don't have to be a 'veteran' to know how to level in the old world... gfay->crushbone->nro->oasis is hardly rocket science...
    It only gets laggy for me if there are tons of people, and only after I turned shadows on. I have a /hidecorpse all macro though to hide corpses, which are a big source of lag too.

you miss my point. It's not that I don't know how or where to play, it's just not the same feel as it was when I was a noob hanging out at the newbie log. I doubt there are any new players on these servers, just a bunch of 5 year vets racing to the end game. When Luclin opens, there goes the novelty. This will wear off quickly and then you'll have two more dead servers.

you miss my point. It's not that I don't know how or where to play, it's just not the same feel as it was when I was a noob hanging out at the newbie log. I doubt there are any new players on these servers, just a bunch of 5 year vets racing to the end game. When Luclin opens, there goes the novelty. This will wear off quickly and then you'll have two more dead servers.

I, for one, get your point. If, however, you can put aside the somewhat dated graphics and the fact that you've done it all before, you really can go home again. It's the same old difficult game with all its frustrations and I love it.

It really feels like I'm playing at release again. Fires of Heaven has 100+ players logged in constantly, all day. I have a feeling some of them feel that way too.

I do want it to be the same game I started 6 or is it 7 years ago. Maybe I'll give it another try!

It is not the same game- just so you know this.  It is kind of a middle game- you start in your beginning city, but boats are not included.  It is, howver, much closer to the original than the new games.

-W.

• DuckyDucky Member Posts: 413
    YES!!!!! i read the newsletter today from MMORPG and i see progression servers! i've been wanting EQ classic ever since luclin came out, Everquest was the greatest untill then, and i am happy i can go back to the great world it once was, i just hope after these become normal servers, they will open new progression servers. See you in the old world! (as soon as i get off work that is :P)

• bedolla3401bedolla3401 Member Posts: 293

so what i have been hearing is EQ1 popular again and worth playing with this progression server?