Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Villianc > City of Heroes ?????

waikewaike Member Posts: 112
Why is CoV so much more hyped then CoH?

Comments

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Because it's a better game.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

It is more recent.

Both are great games.

I prefer CoV, but that is mostly because it is the follow up...the next step. :)

Nice to see a section to CoV finally, was wondering if it would happen or not.  Not sure it is that good a thing, it will split discussions in two.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• dinkdink Member Posts: 438

Who doesn't want to be a villain?

In any case, this game has the same problems with being a boring xp grind after about level 25 with really slow and dull character advancement.  The devs do not appear to be making any changes to the game to fix this despite subscriber numbers that have rapidly plummeted ever since Issue 5 (some time in 2005) when they first began extreme nerfs in the game.

What I didn't like about CoV is that there aren't enough hero groups to fight, and I don't feel viallainous spending 90% of my time combating other villains.  It's stupid, boring, and pointless.

• orion2355orion2355 Member Posts: 76

City of Villains is than CoH IMO, only because some classes or most if you play a certain class combo can solo relatively easy, especially brutes,stalkers, masterminds, heck even a corrupter can play on relentless based on build. Also, some of the contacts and mission locations seems closer, so less running + zone jumping=more xp per hour.

Unfortunately, it suffers the same fate as "dink" mentioned with CoH has having the same problems with an xp grind after about level 25, and some of the contacts make you feel more like a scapegoat,lackey,errand boy than an actual villain.

Its not as team based as CoH and the added newspaper mission choices are a welcome addition for those of us that street sweep brute style and only hit a mission here and there, the 3 mission limit with no way of abandoning them to clear them out is still a hassle that should have been fixed tho..I hate having to finish a mission that's been sitting for the past 4-5 levels.

Just my 2 infamy tho. Your mileage may vary.

---I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm simply saving you from that hideous costume you're wearing.

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by dink

Who doesn't want to be a villain?

In any case, this game has the same problems with being a boring xp grind after about level 25 with really slow and dull character advancement.  The devs do not appear to be making any changes to the game to fix this despite subscriber numbers that have rapidly plummeted ever since Issue 5 (some time in 2005) when they first began extreme nerfs in the game.
    What I didn't like about CoV is that there aren't enough hero groups to fight, and I don't feel viallainous spending 90% of my time combating other villains.  It's stupid, boring, and pointless.

ya

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    I dont think COV > COH I just think the Devs are retards in deciding not to wait and made it so that you could choose either a villian or hero from the initial launch of this game.. If you ask me they made a huge blunder on that right there, but its not like us beta testers and people around prior to beta didnt tell them they were.. What you see now is the majority playing COV while hardly anyone plays City of heros.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    I am finding it to be a little less than CoH, personnally.  I find my evil toon is not that evil- some missions I actually help people.  All they did was take away the burglar, insert cop and called you evil.

I started a brute and played a bit, but I do not feel super-powered by any means. Infact, in one mission, it took me four or five hits to kill a crappy rent-a-cop! Either the bank was hiring super beings, or my "Super Villian" is only minimally stronger than your average rent-a-cop.

Anyway, I'll play until my free trial runs out.

-W.

• WeijyanWeijyan Member Posts: 48

CoV is the same game as CoH, merely with a different setting and AT's.  All of the pools carry over, and most of the powers do, as well.  Merely the primaries and secondaries that you can combine have been changed (AT), though some have seen some slight changes.  CoV is more stream-lined than CoH, making leveling much faster.

CoV is hyped more than CoH because it is the new shiny.  When the third box is released, CoV will become the red-headed step-child that CoH currently is.  It will get all of the new toys, while CoV is more or less ignored by the devs (much like CoH currently is).  They will make drastic changes that will break what already works in CoV (much like they did to CoH).  That is how the mmo industry works.

As for which is better, that is all preference.  I typically play CoH more, but have needed a break from my kat/sr (which has taken some majour nerfs in I6 and another nerf in I7), so I am playing CoV more right now.

http://wuyausu.com
    Who stopped payment on my reality check?

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

I play CoV more myself cuz, I hate CoH's missions and archtypes.
    Same game, same basic mission builds, I just like being offensive more so than begging folks to help me.
    CoV has some genius mission design, but a real lack luster grind.
    Is it better? In my opinion it is. Technically it's the same. But different enough to buy. You're paying the same monthly fee for either, plus the option to enjoy the 2.0 city and mission design is worth it.

Plus folks saying that the missions don't make them feel like villains.. None of you probably RP anyway, nor read what's being said. You're starting out as a grunt working your way up a crime syndicate. Plus the mayhem missions are great, and now that the cap is up the PvP is totally in our favor. ;) Have a nice day.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

First, every MMO have grind. Lucky this is not a korean style of MMO. Then we would die at our computer before lvl 10 hehe.

They must have grind or people become lvl 50 and then they are bored after 1 or 2 weeks. Grind is something to keep us play, even if it can be a pain in the ass.

Anyway, CoV is not that evil if you look at other games. But the other games are rated +18 and this? Umm 7 or 12 I think. So yes, this game will be a little bit nicer. =)

But we have the option to kill cops, bank robbery, kidnapp etc. Just the thing to kill cops chocked me. Not that I care much about cops, but that we could kill them in a game like this hehe.

I just wounder what more can we do to be evil? Burn stuff? Destroy buildings? Rape the females and kill the children? Hmm maybe burn stuff and option to destroy things when ever you feel like. ^^

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Welp. I always wanted a Brute unique Primary AT called "CHAIN SAW MANIA". If that doesn't evil it up to folks, I dunno what will.

Besides, most of the negative posted toward CoV is just stuff someone else said. If you read up and figure out what your character is doing you actually have the option to loathe it if you're truly evil, but willing to endure for your chance at greatness. Or accept it like an anti-hero. People like those. The Punisher and Wolverine sell more comics than.. Um Archie comics now.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• hatebreed0hatebreed0 Member Posts: 82

It was because of the word Vilian.

I think they got CoV all wrong. Where is the option of defeating your teammate. See this is how it's supposed to work. Villians are paranoid, They have every reason to be, everybody wants to be on top and knock you out of the picture.

IMHO this is how it should be. you get in a team. You do a mission. You get what you want, you don't really like the brute your with, you wait until his/her health is down, you decide to quicken his/her demise, you "accidently" kill him, he gets mad leaves the group, you explain to the group that he stole your kill.

later down the road, one of your team mates decides he wants to kill you, cause he hates the way your toon looks, or he hates your zombie cause it always gets in the way, and he attacks you, you defeat him and he leaves you tell the group that he was the weakest link and you fixed the problem.

See being a villian isn't always about maim, raping, killing, doing bank robberies, is about manipulation having others trust you and you stab them in the back and bury the body.

COV doesn't really have "i'm a villian, phear me". It has the "Hey I am Villian, want to team to tackle some snakes"

it should be "hey I'm a villian and all of you are potential targets, even my lvl 1 robot here!"

A good villian wouldn't get his hands dirty, unless he/she really needed it done.

Yeah i could probably kill you, but why. I need somebody to do my work, I need time to think on how to set you up to get you killed and save me from paying you money.

Not the other way around where the NPC is the boss and you are the lackey.

But you have to know, this is a MMO and if this would be truly violent with the villians it would have to be at least 18+ if they wanted you to be a REAL villian.

The best way to play a villian is to play a good guy. Like in DnD you don't know how to play CE/NE until you play LG, then you understand the true concept of the being.

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

Originally posted by hatebreed0

It was because of the word Vilian.
    I think they got CoV all wrong. Where is the option of defeating your teammate. See this is how it's supposed to work. Villians are paranoid, They have every reason to be, everybody wants to be on top and knock you out of the picture.
    IMHO this is how it should be. you get in a team. You do a mission. You get what you want, you don't really like the brute your with, you wait until his/her health is down, you decide to quicken his/her demise, you "accidently" kill him, he gets mad leaves the group, you explain to the group that he stole your kill.
    later down the road, one of your team mates decides he wants to kill you, cause he hates the way your toon looks, or he hates your zombie cause it always gets in the way, and he attacks you, you defeat him and he leaves you tell the group that he was the weakest link and you fixed the problem.
    See being a villian isn't always about maim, raping, killing, doing bank robberies, is about manipulation having others trust you and you stab them in the back and bury the body.
    COV doesn't really have "i'm a villian, phear me". It has the "Hey I am Villian, want to team to tackle some snakes"
    it should be "hey I'm a villian and all of you are potential targets, even my lvl 1 robot here!"
    A good villian wouldn't get his hands dirty, unless he/she really needed it done.
    Yeah i could probably kill you, but why. I need somebody to do my work, I need time to think on how to set you up to get you killed and save me from paying you money.
    Not the other way around where the NPC is the boss and you are the lackey.
    But you have to know, this is a MMO and if this would be truly violent with the villians it would have to be at least 18+ if they wanted you to be a REAL villian.
    The best way to play a villian is to play a good guy. Like in DnD you don't know how to play CE/NE until you play LG, then you understand the true concept of the being.

Would Magneto and the rest of his lackies be considered villians?  They trust each other rather well.

-W.

• KilimKilim Member Posts: 546
    Hey Waike, you Waike from Mordred? its me Kilim if you are :D

I just started playing CoV this week because I am bored.
    Check me out on my Robot/Traps MM in Freedom server.
    Name there is Kilim v1.3

Magneto isn't really hardcore villian. he's like a Venom - they call him a villian but he's not. Him and Spider-man are arch rivals, which makes Venom a nemsis more then a villain.

Venom doesn't go around destroying everything kidnapping and hurting people, granted when he first came out he probably did, but he cleaned up his act. Venom is like a Punisher meets Shadowhawk. Is why Venom is called the Letahl Enforcer, he has a different perspective of justice.

Why send them to jail when you can break their backs and they can be in their own personal jail - is what Shadow Hawk believes in.

Magneto and Charles Xavier have been best friends for years, they both have their out look on mankind. Charles believes Mutants and Humans can get along, while Magneto doesn't believe that.

But Magneto respects Professor X as Professor X respects Magneto. Granted they clashed a few times, cause Charles didn't want anything to happen to his friend and to restore the mutant - human relation.

Both Magneto and Charles wants what is best for all mutants, they do.  Infact there's been a few occasions where Magneto has helped the X-men, prime example Age of Apocalypse, they had no choice but to work together, or be wiped out.

Venom and Magneto are called villains due to they worked against the "Heroes", but that doesn't really brand them villains, cause if that was the case Cyclops would be a villain after severing Wolvey's hand, Jean Grey would be a villian whenever she first got the Phoenix abilities.

When magneto ripped wolverines metal from him, that would be consider a evil act, but wolverine did totally mess up one of Magento's henchmen though.

Magneto's not always going after the X-men.

The Villian persona would be Dr. Doom, Carnage,Bullsyes and Galacitus (I think I spelled his name wrong). They go out of their way to cause destruction, kidnap people, kill people regardless if their mutant or not.

A nemisis is like a fly that circles around, you know the buzzing noise you swat but it's still flie's around regardless.

Like in COH Positron could be Statesman Nemsis for all we know.

Originally posted by hatebreed0

Both Magneto and Charles wants what is best for all mutants, they do.  Infact there's been a few occasions where Magneto has helped the X-men, prime example Age of Apocalypse, they had no choice but to work together, or be wiped out.

Magneto actually led the X-Men for a while, while Chucky was off-planet with his Shi'ar lady friend...

True true, Magneto did indeed help out. Magneto though, does have an extreme dislike for humans thinking them less than capable of running the planet and thinks of mutants as homosuperior. Case in point though, Charles believes in collective co-habitation with normal humans while Magneto wishes to be praised as the new and improved master species. Both have clashed on their ideals but both respect each others positions unless it directly interferes or jeopardizes lives,humanity, so forth.

Remember X-Men 3 when a loyal faithful blue henchman saved Magneto's life only to lose her mutant abilities and was basically tossed to the wolves by her leader only to backstab him providing secrets to the government?

That's the way City of Villains should be..."what's in it for me", "save yourself", and "as long as you are beneficial to me I will refrain from making you choke to death on your own severed foot"...but then again it's a teen rated game and we are working up the ladder of evil, just seems less evil then it really is, but alas, at least most of us can solo most of the entire game snubbing our little underlings in the process. ::::21::

---I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm simply saving you from that hideous costume you're wearing.

but note this - they did make Juggernaut a mutant,and in the movie he wasn't charles's 1/2 brother and the Phoenix was a pansy.

But in the movie though he made a very good point where he tells pyro that he (xavier)did more for mutant kind then you could ever possibly could think of..

That is true, there was never any mention that Cain Marko(I hope I spelled that all correctly) was anything but a criminal being freed to help Magneto. His story in the books at least showed him as having a decent intelligence and a smidge of emotion and heart(referring to the whole Sammy the fish-head kid storyline), so I guess villains can change sides at the drop of a hat. Maybe we'll get that option one day in CoV.

X-Men 3 was a decent show but it flip flopped more than the footwear of the same name. I just remember Magneto looking down on Mystique all, "ewww something smells bad" and thinking now that is an evil person.

they're supposed to come out with a fallen hero trail were a hero can go bad and a villian can go good or something to that effect. I think when they made Pocket D that was a test to see how well the mingled.

If that is the case Hamidon would probably be somewhat easier with some MM blasting Mitos. I could only imagine how PvP would be though. MM Vs MM in BB XD

I think they have something planed coing l8ter in the Iusses besides more nerf's, idk what but they're supposed to come out with a thing to improve your toons to make them stronger.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    aha...

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

Please...  Everybody knows that they only called it "City of Villians"  because "City of Not-So-Nice-Heroes" neither fit on the box, nor makes a very good abbreviation.  (CoNSNH anyone?)

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    me and my fiance got this game cuz we were bored. I never played CoH but CoV is REALLY fun!!!

• KilimKilim Member Posts: 546
    I have played many MMORPG in its Beta and Release versions.
    I have been mmorpg free for the past couple of months due to the current genre's staleness and somehow got convinced by a friend to try CoV out.

CoH was fun but it got boring after a while because I like PvP and there was none in CoH.
    As a game itself, CoH is fun for what it is made to be, a MMORPG where you can be a Super Hero and it did it well.

CoV added PvP and this made me come back to try it out.
    Having fun at this time and grinding my way to a decent PvP lv so I can see how it is.
    But the game itself is fun.
    There has been some chnages since I quit playing CoH a year ago and  CoV is a good thing to have fun and have my mmorpg fix pacified for now.