Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI Has caught my eye recently

SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

I have a few questions about the game:

based on various screenshots, it seems that the battle system is much like Final Fantasy, which is ok with me, but is it turn based? This still isnt much of a problem, but how long does each battle take?

How quick is the leveling in this game, I skim the FFXI forums from time to time, but hear nothing about how much of a grind it is or anything like. Please relate it to other, popular, MMO's.

Again relating to other MMO's, How big is the FFXI world?

A brief description of each class (or job?) from a gamers point of view would be appreciated.

Also, I think I read somewhere about being able to have boats/ships? How does that work?

Thats about it for now, any info is appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• slayeeerslayeeer Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by SLNTASN

I have a few questions about the game:

based on various screenshots, it seems that the battle system is much like Final Fantasy, which is ok with me, but is it turn based? This still isnt much of a problem, but how long does each battle take?
    How quick is the leveling in this game, I skim the FFXI forums from time to time, but hear nothing about how much of a grind it is or anything like. Please relate it to other, popular, MMO's.
    Again relating to other MMO's, How big is the FFXI world?
    A brief description of each class (or job?) from a gamers point of view would be appreciated.
    Also, I think I read somewhere about being able to have boats/ships? How does that work?

Thats about it for now, any info is appreciated, Thanks

i can answer some questions:
    1: its is turned based, and an battle isnt realy long. but it lies on what monster ur fighting. but it takes mostly more time then other mmorpg's.
    2: the leveling system is a bid hard to explain. becouse if u train hard u lvl hard. and i dont got an other game to compare whit it.
    3: if u relate it whit WoW, it is less big, but one map is 10-15 min to go to an other map.
    4: i dont realy got much experience whit all jobs, here's an link. look for urself around the forum etc: http://www.killingifrit.com/forums.php
    5: it is not about having boats/ships. but u can travel whit then in some city's to go to other city's. but you can ride on chocobo(kind of birds). and they are for urself
  • T-o-h-m-aT-o-h-m-a Member Posts: 42

okie dokie here it goes:

1 - The battle system is I guess ATB in a way, where if your attacking you have to wait a certain delay time before attacking again, and for spells you can cast different spells on right after the other but if you want to cast the same spell twice you have to wait for a certain delay before you can. The battles don't take very long maybe like iunno a minute or two for an experience points mob, Whereas if your talking about like Notorious Monsters, or Gods, the fights take ALOT longer. It depends on your party set-up and how experienced the players are.

2 - The leveling system is a grind, you need to put quite a bit of time into the game in order to get to a high level, if you want to relate to popular MMO's WoW is a fuckin cake walk compared to XI than again WoW is actually really easy, and since there is very little soloable content in FFXI, it makes it that much harder/ more annoying, cause you have to wait for a party. Not saying you can't solo at all in XI, there are some job combinations that do quite well with soloing, the game is just based around partying. Therefore it has an awesome community.

3 - FFXI has a 500K+ population, compared to WoW thats nothing, but WoW is disgustingly over populated, 500k people is a very nice population for your average MMO.

4 - Okay, every job huh... okay, here it goes...
    Warrior - This is the basic fighter class. Able to take damage and dish it out.
    Monk - A high HP job, Uses Hand to Hand combat and light armor.
    White Mage - The main healing job of FFXI.
    Black Mage - Master of damage dealing spells.
    Red Mage - Mage that specializes in a little bit of everything, they are mainly used as back-up healers and after lvl 41 they are used for MP regen.
    Thief - They are used to pull and can cause quite a bit of Damage, while being able to steal things from their enemy.
    Advanced Jobs (obtainable after lvl 30)
    Paladin - One of the main tanking jobs of FFXI, they have high defense and can heal themselves.
    Dark Knight - Kind of like the opposite of the Paladin. They have high attack and low defense and use Damage spells to weaken enemy.
    Beastmaster - The main soloing job of FFXI, can solo throughtout the whole game. They use monsters to fight for them.
    Bard - Uses songs to strengthen party and weaken enemy.
    Ranger - Used for pulling, and they specialize in bows/guns, good Damage.
    Summoner - Use their summoning abilities to damage enemy and strengthen party with their avatars. Also used for Healing
    Samurai - Great Damage dealers, use Weapon skills alot.
    Ninja - The second tank of FFXI, uses shadow spells to absorb the enemies attacks
    Dragoon - Best job in the whole game!! (Nah, just my favorite) Good Damage and have the ability to call forth a cute Wyvern (Baby Dragon) to fight with them
    Blue Mage - Learn abilities from the enemy and uses them to their advantage.
    Corsair - The pirate of FFXI, uses guns to damage opponent and dice to strengthen party.
    Puppetmaster - Good soloers, Use an Automaton (puppet) to fight for them.

5 - You don't get your own boats or airships, you can just use them to get to places quicker. Also you can use Chocobo's to go places and with the new update they are bringing in Chocobo Breeding (yay!) with allows you to have your own chocobo. /hurray. ^^

Hope I helped, cause I took alot of time writing those job descriptions down lol anyways yeah =o

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

One correction: FFXI is *not*, repeat NOT turn based. At all.

Chris Mattern

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Ok thanks everyone for your help.

It seems the battle system is similar to most out there, there is a recharge time (or delay) before using other powers.

And a Special thanks to you T-o-h-m-a for the job descriptions :P

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Another Correction:

Leveling 10-30 is really FAST (2+ levels/party)
    Leveling 30-60 is easy (at least 1 level/party)

at 50-60 you will get your Artefact gear, that can take a while and is not an easy task.

Leveling 60-75 is really slow. 60 is half way in terms of Experience.

I never had a problem leveling to 30 (37 for full subjob). It can be done in a few days with 2-3h/day. It's around 50 when the game gets alot more difficult and it's harder to find parties. 60-75 is a grind and always will be. It's a long way to the Level cap.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"