Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

**List** What sets Age of Conan aside from other MMO's?

Im just trying to build up a list to present to people when they ask me "Whats so special about AoC?"
Just try to keep it going, and please take it seriously.

1. Spellweaving
2. Widescale Formation PvP Battles
3. The combat system (Id like someone to please expand on this, I dont know how to explain it)
4. Eyepopping graphics
5. Mounted Combat
6. The Level/Class/Archetype system (Little more of an explanation is necessary here)

Keep it coming!

Comments

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

lvl 1-20 offline

Drunken bar brawls

Fatalities

Mature rating

• StalJesterStalJester Member Posts: 66
    The ability to form your own guild city and go to war with NPC cities, other guild cities, and such.  It's in a few other MMO's, but not many. Not many at all.

• pae_1337pae_1337 Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

lvl 1-20 offline

Im just wondering, what is the max level? ( couldnt find it in the FAQs, and i didnt want to make a new thread just for that q,)

i think what sets it aside from *most* other mmorpgs is the quality. it's not half done ( i hope :))

and ofcourse what you guys said :>

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I believe it's 80 for combat levels, 20 for prestige levels.

• spungerspunger Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by StalJester
    The ability to form your own guild city and go to war with NPC cities, other guild cities, and such.  It's in a few other MMO's, but not many. Not many at all.

Thats not something new, Shadowbane already did that, but yeah, its the most fun aspect of MMOs imo.
  • StalJesterStalJester Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by spunger

Thats not something new, Shadowbane already did that, but yeah, its the most fun aspect of MMOs imo.

Yeah, I said it was in a few other MMO's, heheh.  It's just the fact that it's not a widely-featured thing.
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by soad_nathan
    Im just trying to build up a list to present to people when they ask me "Whats so special about AoC?"
    Just try to keep it going, and please take it seriously.

1. Spellweaving
    2. Widescale Formation PvP Battles
    3. The combat system (Id like someone to please expand on this, I dont know how to explain it)
    4. Eyepopping graphics
    5. Mounted Combat
    6. The Level/Class/Archetype system (Little more of an explanation is necessary here)

Keep it coming!

3. the Combat System: Melee attacks are controlled directly by the character in real time, no more turn based combat. You can control the direction of your swings using the 4-9 keys on the numpad, each corresponding to a different area of attack, downwards from the upper right or left, lower right and left, a lunge for the torso, and a swing at the head. Instead of hitting the target, weapon returns to its "normal" position ready for the next blow, instead combat is fluid, each blow linking into the next. Followthrough and momentum is important, if you are skilled you can attack much faster and with more effect than some gorilla punching buttons.

mature community (not set in stone yet, but it looks like it will be, crossing my fingers here)

A detailed crafting system, with customizable equipment. Diablo fans will be glad to hear the return of gem sockets. Advancing crafting skill is a matter of a series of quests, not grinding recipes for crap no one will buy.

Harsh penalties for magic, mages of any stripe walk a dangerous line when casting spells. Soul corruption threatens their sanity more with every cast.

Bloody finishing moves that send heads flying.

A volunteer program based on the astounding success of the Advisors of Rubika found in Anarchy Online. Players who volunteer a portion of their time are trained and given the tools and authority to aid GMs with the hundreds of problems players have every day. Most issues are dealt with by the ARKs, the GMs only having to take care of the more "difficult" problems. This leads to a lighter workload on them, much shorter waiting times and no rushed cut and paste responses

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Hmmmm....

I'll start off saying that this game appeals to me more than anything else coming out...

However, I'm begining to wonder if it will be too hard..

For example, the combat system seems great in theory.  So many people complain about "auto-attack."  But, we have to rember, that as an online game with many other players, lag creeps it's ugly head and with this highly involved combat system, I can't help but think it may be too challenging.

Well, I suppose I'll just have to find out for meself when it comes out end of this year or begining of next.

What do you guys think about the "Too Hard" arguement?

• waikewaike Member Posts: 112
    I think that lag will definantley be a problem for those who have poor systems. Although, if FunCom cant keep the servers non laggy, or lag spikes occur frequently, ppl will get pissed. But this game does look more appealing then most other games.

It's perfectly balanced or at least seems like it but i am a "criticiz-er" of people who rate games before they are out or have been played at all so im keeping my opinions opinions.

But Mr. Dabble I'll be there right w/ u when the game is released and i hope to see you there

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Well, waike, I don't know that I will be entering the world the day of release

I'll prolly wait a few weeks to see what the player feedback and gamesite reviews will be.  After getting burned by DnL, don't want to go thru that again.

However, I'm positive that AoC will be in far better shape than DnL, but better to be safe than sorry

• waikewaike Member Posts: 112
    ILL BE SURE TO SET START A TOPIC ABOUT IT IN THESE FORUMS FOR YA :)
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Aelfinn

A volunteer program based on the astounding success of the Advisors of Rubika found in Anarchy Online. Players who volunteer a portion of their time are trained and given the tools and authority to aid GMs with the hundreds of problems players have every day. Most issues are dealt with by the ARKs, the GMs only having to take care of the more "difficult" problems. This leads to a lighter workload on them, much shorter waiting times and no rushed cut and paste responses

This is probably one of the best things this game has to offer and reason number 1 why the commumity in AOC will be head and shoulders above the WOW community.. Are you sure they will have this program in AOC like they did in AO though Aelfinn?

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Originally posted by Tinybina

Originally posted by Aelfinn

This is probably one of the best things this game has to offer and reason number 1 why the commumity in AOC will be head and shoulders above the WOW community.. Are you sure they will have this program in AOC like they did in AO though Aelfinn?

"We are looking into volunteers program definitely. So we will try to copy that program [from AO - the editor] to a certain extent. We believe that human interaction in the world is essential."

conan.mmorpgs.info, 2nd April 2006 (Jørgen Tharaldsen)

"All GMs in Age of Conan will be paid employees just like they are in Anarchy Online.

We will most likely have a player volunteer program of some manner (similar to the ARK program in AO) that supports the game and the GMs, the actual GMs though will always be official members of staff."

Forums, 3rd May 2006 (Silirrion)

Read into that what you will 

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    That is definately what seperates Funcom from any other mmo company out there.....the way they deal with their community! A company that has a great community following will last a long time! I am hoping as well that they implement the ARK system to some degree.
    Oh, hey Red, its Heronblade here Didn't know you visited these forums as well

Hemingway

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    O yeah, I am here quite a bit reading more the posting usually. I cover the great vastness of the web...muhahaha. :)
  • Xbuster231Xbuster231 Member Posts: 39

Also manual aiming magic and archery, you aim your shots you dont just target your enemy then click fireball

• Xbuster231Xbuster231 Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by spunger

I think he means this will be the first game that doesnt suck that will include city battles
  • elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342
    I am happy they decided to write the entire game script in Esperanto.
  • NarratorNarrator Member Posts: 6

Computer graphics can do such wonderful things ... until it comes to the human body.  I'm vaguely put-off by the pseudo EQII plasticky skin look, but there's too much other good stuff goin' on to ignore.  Like the architecture, especially.  I'm glad they decided to Go Big in their design concepts.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

I like the ability to build guild villages/towns/cities, provide security to crafters, use crafted items to recruit new members, use new members to further grow guild, build more cities, eventually take over the world... sorry, my Pinky and the Brain theme bursting out. Anyway, rival guilds cannot let any one guild get too successful, and should go out and pillage and burn to insure they don't. Crafter knowledge does not appear to be purchased from the local Walmart, but must be quested for. So for example, a guild has to quest for that blueprint so the architect can build that building to expand the guild capabilities, all the while defending their village, while attacking their opposition, and questing for the secret to make steel swords...etc. Guilds may form alliances to topple that guild that just successfully walled their town before they put up their towers and start construction on their keep, all the while questing for that blueprint to build that siege engine to breach the walls....etc. I other words, teenie boppers interested in mindless PvP ala Diablo 2 need not apply...

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458
    Conan in a thong...
  • b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    another cool thing even though they havent explained it they only mentioned it is the blood money you get from the bodys of people you kil in PVP

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Originally posted by VixenHeart
    Conan in a thong...

LOL! Wasn't quite expecting that.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the first kind of skilled combat and to the extensive PvP

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Jackcolt
    LOL! Wasn't quite expecting that.

Anyways I'm looking forward to the first kind of skilled combat and to the extensive PvP

I'm all for "skilled" PvP, but I am a little worried how priest will all fit into this area.  Or the older crowd who don't really have the "twitched" based skills that this game might need.

I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of random killing.  People just running out of no where, or on horse back just lopping heads off left and right.

It's going to be wonderful.