Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infinity VS Eve-Online: The differences

Comments

• JheregJhereg Member UncommonPosts: 55

Eve sucks.  It is totally automated!  Yeah just my idea of  fun game have the computer do all the work for me while I take a nap.  Even combat is based on who has the highest skill class and the better weapons.  There is no actual combat piloting involved in Eve.  SO it sucks plain and simple!

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Jhereg

Eve sucks.  It is totally automated!  Yeah just my idea of  fun game have the computer do all the work for me while I take a nap.  Even combat is based on who has the highest skill class and the better weapons.  There is no actual combat piloting involved in Eve.  SO it sucks plain and simple!
    When you actually play the game (and i dont mean pretend to get past the tutorial),  come and post a real opinion. Cuz if SP was the all determining factor in pvp then id have lost half of the fights ive been in. Yes the game isnt in a WASD fighter type combat. Yes its not a game for everyone, and for some its a very boring game. But to say that theres no actual combat in EVE or that skill lv is all there is to it simply means you havent really pvped or you simply arent good at it. Try to write a serious statemend not something that whining lil kid would write cuz EvE wasnt his cup of tea.

Oh and as an MMO fan id like to try Infinity, its different and we need more unique games out there. I hope it isnt vaporware and that itl eventually come out.

• JheregJhereg Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Rehmes

When you actually play the game (and i dont mean pretend to get past the tutorial),  come and post a real opinion. Cuz if SP was the all determining factor in pvp then id have lost half of the fights ive been in. Yes the game isnt in a WASD fighter type combat. Yes its not a game for everyone, and for some its a very boring game. But to say that theres no actual combat in EVE or that skill lv is all there is to it simply means you havent really pvped or you simply arent good at it. Try to write a serious statemend not something that whining lil kid would write cuz EvE wasnt his cup of tea.

Oh and as an MMO fan id like to try Infinity, its different and we need more unique games out there. I hope it isnt vaporware and that itl eventually come out.

hey moron I did get past the tutorial and quite far into the game.  Just couldn't stand the tedium of everything being automated for me.  I like to "dogfight" using my own joystick on my own terms and with my own skills.  Next time don't assume something and make yourself look like an idiot.  I knew if I didn't post about the fact that I did play the game someone would come across and make a stupid remark saying that I needed to play it.  Nice job.

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Rehmes

hey moron I did get past the tutorial and quite far into the game.  Just couldn't stand the tedium of everything being automated for me.  I like to fight using my own joystick on my own terms and with my own skills.  Next time don't assume something and make yourself look like an idiot.  I knew if I didn't post about the fact that I did play the game someone would come across and make a stupid remark saying that I needed to play it.  Nice job.

I didnt assume abotu how long you played tbh....i said that simply because thats just about how much experience you seem to have gotten out of the game. The fact you like another type of gameplay is fine. Nothing wrong with having a different preference. The only flaw in your statement is that you claim that SP means everything and that PVP comes down to only SP and automated decisions. By that alone you cant have possibly pvped enough to know wth your saying. At the moment, the only MMO out there where a noob can take a vet is EvE. I know because ive done it and many of my friends have too. It isnt a rare occurence or anything like that. If you simply orbit someone in PvP your most likely going to lose anyway. There are many factors that go into a fight in EvE from fittings to tactics. Its closer to a sim than any other type of game out there. If you dont like it thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion, just dont make claims about something you seem to know very little of.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I am not even going near those last 3 posts. However EVE has a pretty complicated combat system.  What I do like about it is that 2 pilots can have the exact same ship but fit them out completely different and combat is always a huge adrenalin rush.   The issue I do have with some skill based games is that ships can not be changed so much.  So if you see a frigate you pretty much know that it has A,B,C and D abilities.  This can discourage combat as a pilot may know he has no chance against another player and flee at first sight.

I have played EVE for 3.5 years and played the Infinity engine a huge amount.  My points are:

* The only similarity in EVE and Infinity is that they are both in space.  They are very very different.  Its like saying a helicopter is the same as a plane because they both fly.

* I would like to see some sort of skill / xp based system in infinity.  Even if it meant purchasing skills outright from trainers.  However I can see why they would want to keep it totally skill based.  The RPG fans out there may get turned off due to no xp etc.  I would have quit EVE a long time ago if I could not train offline.

* I will definitely sign up to Infinity as I am desperate for a good simulator since Privateer.  However I will continue to play EVE for very different reasons.

* Instead of asking what the differences are a more relevant question would be what are the similarties as there are so few.

• CroatoanCroatoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

Very true...the differences would be much easier to classify.

The main difference - real time combat versus point and click.  I don't know why, but this turns off lots of gamers.  People whine about twitch combat so much, and the only conclusion I can come to is that they would rather a computer control their combat actions so when they get ganked, they can blame the server or lag instead of their own skill level. 

Being a flight simmer at heart, this looks very promising. 

• epimethusepimethus Member Posts: 11

Well, I'm a hardcore Freelancer fan along with X3... and I must say, I cannot wait for this to be released. I hope the dev team keeps working hard and they complete it, and keep their promises.

I'll be watching this game with interest.

• AlphathonAlphathon Member Posts: 1

For me at least Infinity would seem to be almost everything I wish EVE had been.

Proper controlled combat and flight, rather than point and click (that was one of EVE's major turn-offs for me, although I hope there is some kind of an auto-pilot or nav. computer for long journeys and such, so you don't have to endure the monotony of lare expanses of open space if you don't want)

The combat is the main thing though, as in EVE it got a but dull after a while (was a bit too slow sometimes, but then I didn't play for very long)

The size of the universe and lack of loading times is also a BIG plus - should make it feel more like "real"-life.

The planetary landing feature should be pretty good too. Would be infinitely better if you could leave your ship, but that would effectively be making an extra game, and would make creating worlds a hell of a lot more difficult, so I'm not complaining.

One advantage EVE has over Infinity is skills though. While I agree that things like fighting skills should not be included, as the combat etc is based quite heavily on the skill of the player, things like engineering skills would make it more realistic. The only way I can see to better that is if the fitting of components, operation of computers etc is based on the skill and knowledge of the player, like an extremely complex mini-game. Now that would be awesome. That would mean that skills weren't required, AND would add a new dimension and added realism to the game.

Also, the accuracy of the universe is pretty good...just adds to the illusion. I meen EVE doesn't have proper physics or anything, not by a long shot.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I agree that this game may be better with non combat skills that helped with components, ship parts / mods etc.  Jumpgate had a pretty good system but it was level based.  At certain levels you could add more advanced ship parts such as faster engines etc.  However ultimately you still had to fly it so skill was a large part.  Secondly I do hope they have autopilot.  Looking at jumpgate again I did get frustrated how I had to fly a ship manually 100% of the time.  Besides its unrealistic not having this.  Seriously if you have a ship that can fly through space and explore the stars technology must exist for autopiloting.  Possibly have some minor penalty such as using more energ or something just as daft.  Having played both EVE (3 years) and the combat engine of Infinity there are hardly any similarties besides being based in space.

• CongzillaCongzilla Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by w175jab

EVE supposedly is working to allow players to fly into a planet's atmosphere, land, ECT and players will no longer be bound to their ship when docked in the station.  However, due to the size of the galaxy this won't be implemented until 2008.

You can check the EVE Suggestions Forums here at MMORPG.

But, Infinity looks interesting to say the least
    Correct "Ambulation" walking in stations is planned for the first half of 08 with atmospheric flight planned for second half 08.

Infinity already looks outdated next to eve visually. I feel really bad for infinity when the EVE graphics engine update and high res models come out in December.

Controlling your ship doesn't make much sense anyways. I watched the Infinity combat video and a lot of it looked silly. Combat between ships in water is about the same as space, it is all about facing, and transversal velocity. So you don't need fancy meneuvers, just set an orbit at your optimal range and get your transversal speed above your targets turret tracking speed.

• Lucien13Lucien13 Member Posts: 1

"Controlling your ship doesn't make much sense anyways. I watched the Infinity combat video and a lot of it looked silly. Combat between ships in water is about the same as space, it is all about facing, and transversal velocity. So you don't need fancy meneuvers, just set an orbit at your optimal range and get your transversal speed above your targets turret tracking speed."

Oh, please.  Spoken just like someone who has spent to much time in eve.  I would be willing to bet that space combat with small to medium size ships would be much more like ariel combat, a.k.a. fighter planes, then ships moveing thru a substance with a great amount of friction/resistance, so there for "fancy meneuvers" would be excalty what you would want.  Now large ships like Eves captail ships maybe, but eve deals with acceleration that would kill a human so there for eluding to mastery over  inertia and that would mean there would be no reason why large ships couldnt do the same.  Also remmber that little skill called motion prediction.  Firing any of the Eve turrents, besides maybe laser with speed of light reaction, at the distances we do in eve and them landing on a target would require that target to either be moveing in a predictable way or not at all.  The only reason why naval combat is the way you describe is because we do not "yet" have the ability to make ships turn on a dime.  If we did trust me it would be a differant dance.  Maybe a Salsa instead of the waltz.  

Although, i will have to agree, with all the improvements eve is making I think infinity will have a hard time carveing out a niche, sadly, as i would love to see the death of a skill system that only requires you to log on to the game once every 4 days or even less in order to become a "highly skilled player".

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

Originally posted by Croatoan

Very true...the differences would be much easier to classify.

The main difference - real time combat versus point and click.  I don't know why, but this turns off lots of gamers.  People whine about twitch combat so much, and the only conclusion I can come to is that they would rather a computer control their combat actions so when they get ganked, they can blame the server or lag instead of their own skill level. 

Being a flight simmer at heart, this looks very promising. 
    You are of course assuming those who are whining about twitch based combat dont experience lag i see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

First of all Infinatly online isant even at Beta yet so still potential Vapouware compared to EvE which is actually out.

Also where is the skill in twitch combat with no skill system it will just be point and click or just switching on an aimbot 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• NyastNyast Member Posts: 84

What do you mean by "point & click" ? Infinity isn't like Eve, you directly control your ship like in a flight simulator, hence the "twitch based"..

• Kenny3000Kenny3000 Member Posts: 11

wow... Infinity looks great. but EVE has inspired me of late. in the year 1995 i played my 1st mmo it was called earth and beyond it was more than EVE or Infinity could hope to be. Alas it was ahead of its time and suffered the conciquences. the diferences between the two seem to remind me of Cutting Earth and beyond in half and giving the two games whats left over. which leads me to this question if you took EVE and Infinity and combined them using the best fetures of both would it be a truly phenominal game?

Sarge:Give me a Boost!
    Kaboose:You are a good person.
    Sarge:Not a morale boost you idiot a phisical one!

• NuichNuich Member UncommonPosts: 123

I'm pretty sure EnB was not around as a MMO in 95.

• redriverredriver Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by Nuich

I'm pretty sure EnB was not around as a MMO in 95.

not only that it has nothin' even close to the scale and "realism" of what infinity is gonna be.

just visit their website and go to the dev journal forum. the features and the game engine is gonna be fantastic.

they already have combat prototype that gives a feel of what the game engine can do.

it's gonna be way bigger and more realistic space MMO than E&B and EvE combined could ever dream to be.

• SchinobleSchinoble Member Posts: 5

The two games outside PVP could easily be as good as each other, but in PVP its a completely different game. In a flight stick based game, you cant get the depth of PVP that you can with eve, where its not the SP that gets you your kill, thats just a misconception carried on from most other fantasy based RPG's, in EVE its all about your knowledge, its how well you know your target but more so how well you know your own ship,its about speed, traverse velocity, tracking speeds, range, electronic warefare, and so so much more, the pvp in eve is about outsmarting your apponent, outsmarting is something that SP cant buy, it comes through experiance.

Infinity on the other hand is about outskilling your apponent, the satisfaction from killing a target in a ship, getting your ship to hold a close orbit manually with bursts of thrust, blasting the ***** out the *****, the adrenaline rush you get is something quite satisfying, similar to that of eve, but a different type of satisfaction. (before i played EVE i played Jumpgate for about a year, its a closer comparrison to Infinity than EVE is)

think of it as star wars and star trek, they're both based in space yes, but they are quite different and  both in their own right are top of their classes.

• 50005000 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Schinoble

The two games outside PVP could easily be as good as each other, but in PVP its a completely different game. In a flight stick based game, you cant get the depth of PVP that you can with eve, where its not the SP that gets you your kill, thats just a misconception carried on from most other fantasy based RPG's, in EVE its all about your knowledge, its how well you know your target but more so how well you know your own ship,its about speed, traverse velocity, tracking speeds, range, electronic warefare, and so so much more, the pvp in eve is about outsmarting your apponent, outsmarting is something that SP cant buy, it comes through experiance.
    Infinity on the other hand is about outskilling your apponent, the satisfaction from killing a target in a ship, getting your ship to hold a close orbit manually with bursts of thrust, blasting the ***** out the *****, the adrenaline rush you get is something quite satisfying, similar to that of eve, but a different type of satisfaction. (before i played EVE i played Jumpgate for about a year, its a closer comparrison to Infinity than EVE is)
    think of it as star wars and star trek, they're both based in space yes, but they are quite different and  both in their own right are top of their classes.

sir, these forums are not the place for intelligent and rational discourse, i suggest you call somebody a demeaning name or leave.  good day!

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Schinoble

sorry, but the only "skill" you need in eve is time or numbers. sure eve and infinity have their own playstyles, but you need to be slapped sideways saying eve takes skill to play, not.

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• ppettyppetty Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by graill

sorry, but the only "skill" you need in eve is time or numbers. sure eve and infinity have their own playstyles, but you need to be slapped sideways saying eve takes skill to play, not.

i hear this arguement a lot, and thats just in this thread :P

the fact is, you are wrong.  the only skill you need in eve is experience.  true, most of the experienced players have tons of skills, but hey, it takes time to get experience, and during that time, you are training skills.

your arguement is simply that of a noob who is used to WoW style play where all you have to do is grind for a month or two and you are able to kill anyone.  everyone in eve is basically on the same level.  think of skills as attribute bonuses in the typical mmos, like haveing +2 strength.  all it does is give you more "hp" or "defense", it doesnt make you a better player.

now a comment on infinity.

comparing this to eve is like comparing breakfast and dinner.  is one better than the other?  no.  some people dont even eat breakfast.  they are two different meals, prepared two different ways, and at two different times of the day.  just as infinity and eve are two different games, two different styles, two different dreams from two different groups of people.  sure, piloting your ship in eve is point/click, but some people prefer the simplicity of it.  the idea of the infinity controls appeals to me in a couple different senses.  i like the realism of it for one.  but i dont know if i would like actually using it.  a lot of other infinity features appeal to me, but i dont think i will quit eve for it, but rather play both if i like infinity.  eve is not for everyone, as it has been said a lot, as it is apparent for graill.  and infinity will not be for everyone either.

• Clavain06Clavain06 Member Posts: 25

I really hate dating myself like this... but does anyone remember a Commodore 64 game called Echelon?  Any old school gamer will tell you the absolute love they have for Elite.  It was groundbreaking and when I finally got to leave the first *galaxy* I was in for another... that was incredible.  Echelon was, from what I can remember, based on exploring planets and gathering cyphers and other ancient relics and trying to piece them together and make sense out of them.  From what I recall it was in essence a futuristic archaeological game with Elite like qualities thrown in.  I never felt a need to leave my ship there, it made sense to be in my ship to scan the planetary surfaces for things I needed and as long as you can fly down toward the planet's surface and do what you need to do in Infinity... sounds promising...

fly down and scan for that new life form or new mineral or ore that your scientists require of you to further their research etc...

• CongzillaCongzilla Member Posts: 15

Well the Trinity expansion for EvE has been out a while now and Infinity is still less than vaporware.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

i really do not think that eve is a hard gam to be in combat wtih... after what my friends are telling me (eve is the only mmo i never played) u only need skills u upgrade and the ship takes care of the rest except from some powers.... they say they hate it.. i want to try it but havent got time nor enough money (for the time being) but i really see a future in infinity.

a better one then eve

• SimmonsRvBSimmonsRvB Member Posts: 1

well i stumbled across this game only a few hours ago... read the web page on it.... and i nearly crapped my self with happyness... i've played my share of mmorpg game. WoW being the main one. and for a time i have been wanting a space mmo checked out eve today and imediatly hated it. infinity looks like it will be the greatest and most imersive space mmorpg out there. even if you naysayers are sticking to the "its only in development cant compare to eve" defence... i think eve is going to be shut down after this gets released. in all honesty some thing this great is some thing worth waiting for at the store on a midnight release. this will be epic. and to all the guys workin on this game i now make you my heros.

this is nothing to be taken so lightly... rather you should consider what this means first... and then say screw it and walk on.