Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great Combat System, but hardly any PvP?

I think the main reason UXO is so open to making such a cool combat system, which involves a lot of combos is because of the success of the combat in UO. UO still has one of the most innovative/versatile combat sytems in all of MMORPGs (the new ones are all sandwich crap like EQ/DAOC/SWG/etc).

However, the people who really seem to care about such things are PvPers. Especially old school UO players who are waiting anxiously for a game like UO. They've turned to games like Darkfall and Realms of Torment, which are kind of like UO but also lacking and made by smaller, poorer companies (so the games may sound great, but making them is another thing altogether).

My point is, why so many restrictions on PvP? From what I can see, there's only Dueling and Instance Guild Wars. Why can't guild wars be spread accross the entire map? The best way to win a guild war is to kill the guild at every location possible, that way they give up and undeclare.

Considering most companies have deemed PvP to be monetarily damaging (mostly out of ignorance, imho)... then at the very least UXO should make a PvP server. By PvP server I mean something like UO did with Seige Perilous (without the making it harder to gain skills part). All the oldschool UOers would flock to this game if there were a WELL MADE PvP server.

By well made, I mean something where there are rules. There must be rules and order in order to have good PvP. DAOC's PvP Server is an example of what NOT to do. As soon as you log in to the DAOC PvP server you are attacked... it's utter  chaos and nonstop fighting. There needs to be safe zones (towns) and a Fame System (blue/grey/red), this allows for "breathing room" where all the politics begin. PvP without politics is boring and repetitive, while it may be fun for a little while, it doesn't last (counterstrike, daoc-pvp server, any game where you login purely to fight unknown enemies).

My hope is that EA/OSI (whatever they are now) HIRES someone to make a WELL THOUGHT OUT PvP server. Not a chaos server, but something more similar to what Old UO was like with the Dread Lords.

Comments

• Regal_TRRegal_TR Member Posts: 249

UXO as a whole sounds pretty lame for a new MMORPG thats coming out.. no housing, lamest pvp concept ever, ughh..Lets just play a better version of it in EQ2? Origin is going to go bankrupt with this pile of crap for a game.

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

An old school PK server idea would be good. Personally, I would not like the game if PvP was forced. I like the duel idea because I could PvP if I wanted too (which I admit, is once in a blue moon) but I'm not forced too. I enjoy questing, exploring, and fighting monsters (not players). Who knows what will happen though? The game is not in beta, perhaps the developers of UXO are planning all sorts of different servers image.

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-
    E-mail: [email protected]

• ShrackShrack Member Posts: 1
    I still think just because it isnt PVP based that it has some revolutionary ideas, will just have to wait and see how they implement them all. Even though I like PVP I'm more of an adventurer and explorer myself.

Shrack
    http://theblades.fourty.net
    Blade of the Fallen Dragon

Shrack
    http://theblades.fourty.net
    Blade of the Fallen Dragon

• gljvdgljvd Member Posts: 27

You people and your pvp makes me laugh. Can't stand when a game with great combat comes out to reward  those who don't chase customers away   ?

Why would ea make another uo ? Uo just hit the highest subscriber rate ever. At around 300k. Its making a ton of money.

Now they can make ultima 10 . Which is what this game is . With only playabilty for the pves who have wanted a real ultima game for a very long time .

There is still uo for those who want pvp . But now for pves there is uxo:o

That way Ea makes money off the pvps playing uo and makes money off the pves who don't like pvp or don't like alot of it with  uxo:o .

This gam will have housing at a later date. Because instead of launching a game like swg in which almost nothing worked right. The staff at osi wants To release a game that works as close to perfection as possible .

Pvp does cost game companys money. It does drive away casual players. It is not ignorance. It is fact . Many many people leave games in which they can not enjoy themselves because someone with no life nor any friends finds a quick ego boost in killing thier char .

Pvp is change forever . For the best .  Pvp in uo was done wrong. Most devs admit to it . They hoped players would police themselves but all it amounted to was a newbie leaving town and being killed . Over and over again . Or a miner being killed by 5 reds that are easily twice his skill lvl. After a while of that those players left for games like eq . Thus ea lost money .

They wont do that again .

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    UGH!! does anybody ever do a search on threads anymore??? I know it's Feb 2nd, but that doesn't mean we have to ACTUALLY act out Groundhog Day for real!! I feel like i've seen and been in the same discussion about PvP and UXO forever now. At this point, i think not only have we beaten this horse to death, but we've drawn and quartered it, put the pieces back together, steamrolled the corpse a few times, ran it through a woodchopper or two, burned the little pieces to ashes, put the ashes in a pinata and beat it senseless a few million times....