Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Reasons to Play Roma Victor

13»

Comments

• IvniciixIvniciix Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Virtus

Originally posted by Ivniciix

Who is Redbedlam? For one it's an ex-oil company executive who is now known as a "Virtual Economist". As in politics, always follow the money. Judge what works and doesn't work in RV and the order in which features are implemented by that standard and it's goals become clear. Discover how much you can milk the high income MMORPG player and whether that makes a profitable gaming model.

The simple fact is that a player-oriented game would have lower vendor prices until more of the game was implemented. A financial test-bed would have features brought on-line just as RV is now.

What does vendor prices have to do with how much is implimented? Swords, spears, tongs, hammers, and hachets work properly and merchant's sell them at a price that reflects the supply and demand. So horses not being in will not affect the merchant's cost for branches.

What vendor prices have to do with what is implemented is this: 1) No storage or item stacking places restraints on production, 2) No horses (thanks for the mention) means travel is very slow thus reducing the ability to trade and build a viable economy, 3) Arbitrarily high prices for basic tools from vendors, since players can't supply the need, are in-game specifically to test how much VERM money a sucker will dump into the game-over and above what they'd actually spend on a monthly fee game. RV is a test of whether the VERM model will generate more income through impulse and frustration purchases of in-game cash by the poshest (wealthy) set of gamers than a monthly fee scheme will. It's also the most unfinished game to be put into commercial release...ever. I didn't say worst....just most incomplete. Why is it so incomplete? Because it's only real goal is testing the VERM model.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Virtus

Who is Redbedlam? For one it's an ex-oil company executive who is now known as a "Virtual Economist". As in politics, always follow the money. Judge what works and doesn't work in RV and the order in which features are implemented by that standard and it's goals become clear. Discover how much you can milk the high income MMORPG player and whether that makes a profitable gaming model.

The simple fact is that a player-oriented game would have lower vendor prices until more of the game was implemented. A financial test-bed would have features brought on-line just as RV is now.

What does vendor prices have to do with how much is implimented? Swords, spears, tongs, hammers, and hachets work properly and merchant's sell them at a price that reflects the supply and demand. So horses not being in will not affect the merchant's cost for branches.

What vendor prices have to do with what is implemented is this: 1) No storage or item stacking places restraints on production, 2) No horses (thanks for the mention) means travel is very slow thus reducing the ability to trade and build a viable economy, 3) Arbitrarily high prices for basic tools from vendors, since players can't supply the need, are in-game specifically to test how much VERM money a sucker will dump into the game-over and above what they'd actually spend on a monthly fee game. RV is a test of whether the VERM model will generate more income through impulse and frustration purchases of in-game cash by the poshest (wealthy) set of gamers than a monthly fee scheme will. It's also the most unfinished game to be put into commercial release...ever. I didn't say worst....just most incomplete. Why is it so incomplete? Because it's only real goal is testing the VERM model.

1.) use your construction site, thats what we used to do. Just make sure it is of 20Q or higher, that way if you don't log on for awhile you don't have to worry as much.

2.) Horses may speed your travel but you can still only hold so much...you forgot to mention a cart pulled by the horse. Plans should be made to have a market every weekend in corst to help the economy.

3.) Actaully players can supply the need, are you barb? I never bought money and went along fine, join a guild if you havn't there you supply each other.

Even if hte prices are high in the long run it will help. The money you give to the merchants well spread to the people selling to the merchants then htye will buy from a player who will go to another merchnat. So and and so forth untill eventually we are self supplying. You seem to forget that this world is still young and it takes awhile for the money to spread its self out evenly over an area. Once player controlled merchnats are back in ( i htink i heard they were taken out?) People should buy from them instead of an NPc merchant they way hte money is going straight to a player and not a server.
  • grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

Who is Redbedlam? For one it's an ex-oil company executive who is now known as a "Virtual Economist". As in politics, always follow the money. Judge what works and doesn't work in RV and the order in which features are implemented by that standard and it's goals become clear. Discover how much you can milk the high income MMORPG player and whether that makes a profitable gaming model. The simple fact is that a player-oriented game would have lower vendor prices until more of the game was implemented. A financial test-bed would have features brought on-line just as RV is now.

or, we could go with the less tinfoil hat theroy and say that the prices are the way they are so that the 'player run economy' dosent get borked. You start selling basic tools for cheap on vendors and where is the incitive to make em?
  • SonorcSonorc Member Posts: 2
    nice game :)
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Exactly, because the tools, weapons and armor have value in Roma Victor, the crafters that make them not only have a valued worthwhile profession, but are valued part of the community within the game.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by Ulujain
    He got back to me; just waiting on some stability first.

Finally got back to me a couple of days ago...am downloading client now - just wondering where I'm gonig to find time to play it in between EQ2 and Oblivion sessions.

::::30::

Did you play yet?
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by sempiternal
    There are many reasons to choose Roma Victor as an MMOG for long-term play; especially for adults. What is your main reason?  If not listed, then reply.
    I find it hilarious that you say the game is for "adults". If a game is of poor quality, has an extreme small community, then its suddenly for "adults".

Ok, Mr. oriental cartoon avatar. image

1. Terms of Service state that you must be 18 years or older to play.

2. There is not much that appeals to kids.  Hardly anything is given away, you must earn things.  There are no cloudsongs or unicorns. You can be killed without your approval.  The crafting is historically authentic, very challenging and time consuming.  Probably the only thing that appeals to kids is there is no monthly fee.

• grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58

Ok, Mr. oriental cartoon avatar. image 1. Terms of Service state that you must be 18 years or older to play. 2. There is not much that appeals to kids.  Hardly anything is given away, you must earn things.  There are no cloudsongs or unicorns. You can be killed without your approval.  The crafting is historically authentic, very challenging and time consuming.  Probably the only thing that appeals to kids is there is no monthly fee.
    Are you insane?

over 18 to play, give me a break ToS says so what? I would like to see the age distribution of current players, I bet a sizeable chunk are under 18.

What is there to appeal to adults? Games that appeal to adults do not involve spending hours trying to craft something or farm something or struggling through the glitches, they have less time than kids and want something that works here and now, lets face it these "realistic" games appeal to kids because they can pretend to be an adult.

It's called patience, kid.
  • grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58
    Its called being grown up and having responsibilities such that making a hut on a pc is taking up time needed for DIY in the Real world!

Don't call me a kid i am 28 thank you very much.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by grenkal
    Ok, Mr. oriental cartoon avatar. image 1. Terms of Service state that you must be 18 years or older to play. 2. There is not much that appeals to kids.  Hardly anything is given away, you must earn things.  There are no cloudsongs or unicorns. You can be killed without your approval.  The crafting is historically authentic, very challenging and time consuming.  Probably the only thing that appeals to kids is there is no monthly fee.
    Are you insane?

over 18 to play, give me a break ToS says so what? I would like to see the age distribution of current players, I bet a sizeable chunk are under 18.

What is there to appeal to adults? Games that appeal to adults do not involve spending hours trying to craft something or farm something or struggling through the glitches, they have less time than kids and want something that works here and now, lets face it these "realistic" games appeal to kids because they can pretend to be an adult.

this might be deleted os don't be suprised if one day it disappears

age poll

how many votes? 277 you say?

• max2008max2008 Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by grenkal
    Its called being grown up and having responsibilities such that making a hut on a pc is taking up time needed for DIY in the Real world!

Don't call me a kid i am 28 thank you very much.

Have to agree.I think any adult with responsibilities will laugh at a game that requires hours and days just to make a basic hut inagame because its a simulation.

What makes it worse is the actual process is very boring.

However,it is not the only mmorpg with a boring crafting.But the combat is also very boring.

I think the combat is what you make of it.  If you just stand around or stay in your home board of course you are not going to have fun.  You have to seek adventure, go hunting, start your own warrior guild or spar with others; unless your idea of fun is beating on NPCs and monsters.

As far as housing goes, the more difficult it is the more it will be appreciated, if houses were easy to throw up overnight, then everyone would have one and they would be valueless.  Just like in real life houses are difficult and time consuming to build.  Although, I do think that MrDDT was practically able to throw up a house overnight or at least in a couple of days, but he's a very hardcore crafter.