Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radio Shack Christmas 1982

Well I'm bored.

When Colecovision came out, it was beyond awesome. Atari was awesome enough, Intellivision too, but Colecovision was next gen. It had better graphics and sound with music that actually sounded like music, but the big kicker was the game it shipped with: Donkey Kong.

For those of you who can remember or even just imagine it, Donkey Kong was the shizzle when it came out. It was probably not the first, but for me it was the first platform game. A genre that put a whole lot of kids through college up to about the Super Nintendo days, and even to this day. Anyways Donkey Kong was every kids dream, and for some unforseen reason my Dad bought me one while we were browsing in Radio Shack.

Even when I got it home I still couldn't believe it, you know that feeling? Surely they put an empty box in the bag just to mess with me, or else the next day my Dad would come to his senses and return the thing. But nope, he said, "That's your christmas present.", and I think I probably thanked him around 1700 times. Playing Donkey Kong at home was awesome, we had a Coleco telstar back in the day but this was a big deal. The Colecovision cost like 324 bucks canadian plus tax, Today it would probably be like a grand.

Colecovision was sweet though. I got Venture and Looping and Zaxxon on the day it released: a pharmasave just happened to have it and my Dad, as I tend not to remember so well, was exceedingly cool and got it for me. 70 bucks, yikes I wish I knew how great he was to me at the time. Miner 2049'er was a game that had great reply value, something sorely lacking from many of those first games.

Anyways, that's my Colecovision story. Video games have been a part of my life since I could reach a coin slot. I've played them all since the dawn of their creation. They have always been and always will be, fun. I have met only a handful that I didn't like or couldn't get some fun out of, partly because to me they can do no wrong. They are a diversion from mortality, and that can be a great thing.

These people that do nothing but post negativity and cynicism, they're not gamers. They are just people looking for a car crash, and if there isn't one there, they will make one.

"Bad review from nonamesite.com"

"Trouble looms over beta"

"They lied!"

"They charged my credit card twice then slept with my sister!"

A real gamer doesn't post things like that, I think a real gamer is positive out of his/her enjoyment of games and has little time spreading negative news about games.  We're too busy getting enjoyment out of them. There's plenty of us too, just that they get lost in the masses of non-gamers that post on gaming sites. Now I'm not talking about ex SWG players who can't seem to let it go, they have a right to be cynical.

Anyways I got diverted. My point is I've learned a lot about Video games over the years; what makes them fun, what makes them stay fresh and new despite years of playing time. Vanguard is my choice because of its vision and focus on the social aspects of the genre. I believe it will be the game within a game that EQ and UO were for me.

To me Video games have been a way to have fun even when my life is in the eye of the storm. What do video games mean to you?

Comments

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

I, too, remember getting the Coleco Vision: mine was still in working order in 1999 when I finally had to let it go.

But I disagree with the idea that true gamers can not post their concerns over how they are seeing a game develope, especially if it is one they have high hopes for and had followed since its inception.  I agree that a lot of the posts are just mindless "I hate $OE", but to generalize like your last statements simply isn't fair.  If I see a game I love (like Vanguard) and a deal is made that I am a little skeptical about (like the $OE deal) I want it to be known that I have concerns and voice my concerns.  I, of course, did so on their official boards, my concern was addressed and now I have an idea as to whether or not I'll buy Vanguard.

Anyway, I agree when people speak out of their ass, it is not productive, but people voicing concerns and opinions is something I actually agree with- and I've been gaming as long as you. 

To answer your final question, I agree with you about Vanguard.  I am looking forward to its release. I am an old EQ vet (playing since 1999) and I hope that they (Sigil) create another gem.  That said, I never really liked what happened to EQ after Velious: when $OE took complete control (or Brad left, or whatever was going on), so I was a little concerned when I heard $OE would be involved again.  I hope that it is true $OE stays on the publishing side of things only and leaves the game in the hands of Sigil.

-W.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    I agree with Grim - whenever there is a mess in the game-world, we, gamers, must do all in our powers to make a big publicity about it everytime. Without that negative (or positive) publicity devs wont really care to produce good quality products because they will think we can take it up our asses no matter how crappy their product is.

We want good products, quality games. If some company lies/hides/scams to get their crappy product into market, we should do all in our powers to make sure everyone knows that that product is shitty or has problems. So yeah, if the game sucks, you bet I ll post my opinion on it. Its too early to post anything on vanguard realy, becuase its not an open beta yet. Once it goes public, then yeah sure, post whatever you feel like is wrong (or right) with the game with meaningfull arguments.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I share in the original poster's joy in watching video games evolve. But being considerably older than he I can remember when playing video games meant going to an arcade with a pocketful of quarters.  Before that I remember playing pinball machines.  In fact, my grandfather worked for a company that repaired pinball machines so I got to play them all for free, back when that meant something lol.

I disagree, however, with his belief that anything short of unadulterated fanboism means someone isn't a true "gamer." The fact is that as this industry has grown, many companies have taken advantage of their customers and pawned off some serious slop, often through misleading or outright false advertising. I don't think being a gamer and being an informed consumer are mutually exclusive. Word of mouth is important and I think we gamers do each other a favor by sharing our opinions and experiences. That way we can reward quality game designers with our patronage and steer clear of virtual snake oil salesmen. Of course, these opinions vary but that is the beauty of open discussion.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Colecovision?

NOOB! I remember bringing home PONG.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90
    You guys just reminded me of a system we had called Odyssey. Cartridge type console system like Atari, though a bit older. You had to place this maleable plastic screens onto the tv set (they stuck there with static!) depending on which game. We had some kinda maze game where your rectangle represented a tank. There was a cat and mouse chase game with some kinda house screen... Man... bringing back some majorly old memories... and making me feel majorly old to boot!

-Naaz.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Shayde
    Colecovision?

Read closer, Telstar was pong, we got that in 1976.

To the others, I understand posting your concerns, that wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the people who chronically post negative things and never anything positive. Those aren't gamers. Again I must add that I'm not referring to people like Shayde who were spurned by SWG: they have a right to be cynical.

EDIT: Odyssey was great! And my friend had Odyssey II which was like WHOA!

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by anarchyart

Colecovision?

Read closer, Telstar was pong, we got that in 1976.

To the others, I understand posting your concerns, that wasn't what I was referring to. I was referring to the people who chronically post negative things and never anything positive. Those aren't gamers. Again I must add that I'm not referring to people like Shayde who were spurned by SWG: they have a right to be cynical.

EDIT: Odyssey was great! And my friend had Odyssey II which was like WHOA!

Yeah.. I throw praise too.. just not towards $OE.

Oddesey was the system. Had pong, but it came with those clingy-screen things and a big-ol rifle. Played that 'till my fingers bled.. was the summer of '75.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

What a fun post. I don't remember Colecovision but I do remember Atari and I believe I remember Intellvision as the successor to Atari.

I have to disagree with your assement about gamers that post negative comments about games. Granted, comments like "$OE sucks" are pretty worthless, but I see nothing wrong with bashing a game if it doesn't live up to its marketing hype. Negative comments would be inappropriate if games were free, but seeing as to how we're all paying good money for games, I think we can expect - scratch that, DEMAND - quality.

I have played some games that have had a million bugs right out of the box, or were so poorly designed they were beatable with zero effort. That tells me that either the product was rushed, or else the programmers/designers didn't take pride in their work. In either case, a scathing review is justified.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Colecovision?

Damn and I thought I was old knowing the Sears Version of the Atari 2600.

At least Shayde you didnt say 'You remember playing PINBALL'

Anyways, PAC-MAN was the biggest disappointment when it was release for the 2600 next to E.T.  And soon bought the Colecovision when it was available with the Atari 2600 Adapter to play my Atari Games.

• hatebreed0hatebreed0 Member Posts: 82
    when I was growing up all my parents could afford was an atari and all i had was pong and some flight game. My granndparents had to by me a Nintendo, and my parents bought me a Gameboy (the green and black screen version). Now I upgraded to Xbox 360 and waiting for the PS3 to come out so I can waste yet more money and have hairier palms......sorry about the bad mental picture...

Originally posted by hatebreed0
    when I was growing up all my parents could afford was an atari and all i had was pong and some flight game. My granndparents had to by me a Nintendo, and my parents bought me a Gameboy (the green and black screen version). Now I upgraded to Xbox 360 and waiting for the PS3 to come out so I can waste yet more money and have hairier palms......sorry about the bad mental picture...

lol Xbox 360 is nice though. I hope Vanguard comes out on it :D

Sad to be the one to say, but according to the devs, it will never be released to a platform, and, considering the new deal with $OE and buying out of Microsoft, it will probably never be released for the Xbox.

As for early gaming days: I started on the Atari 2600, moved to intelivision, to coleco and then got my very first computer: Comodor 64.  Been a computer guy since.

-W.

Originally posted by GrimSkunk2
    Sad to be the one to say, but according to the devs, it will never be released to a platform, and, considering the new deal with $OE and buying out of Microsoft, it will probably never be released for the Xbox.

As for early gaming days: I started on the Atari 2600, moved to intelivision, to coleco and then got my very first computer: Comodor 64.  Been a computer guy since.

Awesome man those were the days. C64 was the shizzle and I loved it. Lode runner when it was first released was just so fun. When the PS3 comes out though I'm not sure I'll be able to resist buying it. The specs are deadly. I do like my computer but I'll go where the games are. I want an MMORPG with some seriously wicked graphics. Vanguard and Huxley should come out on the PS3.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Donkey Kong was the game back in the day. I spent alot of time stealing free games of it. Did you know those old arcade games could be tripped with a simple drinking straw? Just flatten it out and slide it up and down between the hinges on the front door and POOF all the free games you'll ever need hehehe.

Colecovision had the first decent D&D video game too if i recall.

Originally posted by Copeland

Possibly.  I never played it if it did (unless you mean Venture, which was one of my favorites).

-W.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Originally posted by GrimSkunk2

Yeah, I remember the Commodore coming in to our house and kicking the coleco out of my prime time schedule. We had the Vic20 first... with a tape drive. I can remember having to rewind and fast forward to find the beginning of a game. We got the c64 later.. and that is when I really fell in love with PC gaming. I liked jumpman and blue max... but the bards tale and below the root really pulled me in. As far as the colecovision goes, I think mousetrap stands out more for me than any other game... sure, it was pacman played as a mouse / dog... but I like the controller templates :)

I can't mention the C64 without throwing a shout out to impossible mission..... "destroy him my robots... hahahahaha"... and did anyone else have the Koala pad?

• Dmodert66Dmodert66 Member Posts: 19

I had a few consoles before I went computer...

Pong, Atari2600.  I'd also play games at frinds houses including Intellivision, Coleco, even the line only console (can't remember the name atm, but it used only lines.  I remember playing Zaxxon on the coleco and being BLOWN AWAY by the graphics...But my trusty Commie 64 was my fav gaming machine ever (with exception to my current computer).

Then I got into computers, and it was over.  Atari 400, Vic 20, C64, C64, C128, then Pentium 100, Apple Mac LC (Ok, not for gaming), a few other low end pcs, then got into gaming rigs and started with an athlon 1800+ and 4400 Vid Card.  My current computer is a 3.0 P4, 74Gb Raptor, plus 700GB on 4 other drive, 6800GT, 1gb Ram.  (was ok till athlon 64's came out wich spanked my P4 in gaming)  I'll be building a new comp in July/August.  Conroe (Core 2 Duo) 6600 (2.4 ghz, but oc'd like a mofo, hopfully to 3.4 or 3.6), 2GB Ram, 74 GB raptor (no other HDD's because I'm keeping my current rig as a file server), and probably a 7600GT.  I would go higher on the vid card, but I'll wait till G80 or R600 come out for DX10 compatibility, and buy 2 of them.  Wow...I got way off track...sorry...

In regards to the rest of the OP's post, I agree.  Constructive criticizm is ok, but not all this hating.  If you hate it so much, don't pay attention to it.  When it releases, check out the reviews and buy it then.  If your still not sure of your decision, wait for the inevitable "free trial" or "Friend Key" to come.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by Salvatoris

Yeah, I remember the Commodore coming in to our house and kicking the coleco out of my prime time schedule. We had the Vic20 first... with a tape drive. I can remember having to rewind and fast forward to find the beginning of a game.

I still have my tape drive deck! with Hunt The Wumpus and a Defender clone on the tape in it. A couple weeks ago I was playing a drunken Slot Racers tournament with my room mate on my 2600 too.

That was intellivision Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I was so young when that game was out, but my friend had it and it was awesome. That wasn't the actual first home video game RPG though, Adventure for the 2600was. But AD&D for the intellivision was the first decent one. I might hunt that down for an emu.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Donkey Kong was the game back in the day.

Bah...Dig Dug. I loved that game.

I think Coleco was one of my favorite older systems. Back then I was in awe of the insane graphics, lol.
  • jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    My first puter was atari of sort (dont realy remember its name). My second puter was ZX Spectrum with 128kb memory (16kb reserved for OS) and I loaded games form audio tapes. My fav Spectrum games were: Elite, Quazatron, Defender of the Crown, Egghead, Dizzy (several versions) and some other games i cant remember now.... ah, nostalgia just kicked me in the head 

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage