Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neocron Vs. Anarchy Online

ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 62
Your opioins?

Comments

• MelaithMelaith Member Posts: 10
    Both image

• menkadarmenkadar Member UncommonPosts: 45

Neocron - is the pvp in AO like this? i think not

http://www.fanghq.org/neocronsection/Fang_PVP_2004_2.avi

Its 130ish MBs but its a good show of why NC is better than AO, bit to long really but still nice.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Neocron.....no contest. I played AO for 2 years.

No shouting for a team for an hour.

No 4 hour missions.

No crippling lag spikes.

PVP that WORKS!

No rubber-banding.....let me say that again....no rubber-banding.

Patched content is tested for a LOOOOOONG time and works as inteded when released.

NO SHADOWLANDS!!!!

omfg, the list could go on for days.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Anarchy Online.....no contest. Ive Played AO On & Off Since Late Beta Stages

Takes Me Around 10mins to get a team (if it takes you over an hour something is wrong with you)

Missions are fun (4 hours? wtf kinda weps are you using)

Servers are stable, in beta they were horrible

I used to rubberband alot in beta but its only happend to 2 twice in a couple months thats not bad.

AO also has an awesome community, and i happen to like shadowlands

**Bling ~ Bling**

Originally posted by digitydarkman

Takes Me Around 10mins to get a team (if it takes you over an hour something is wrong with you)
    I used to rubberband alot in beta but its only happend to 2 twice in a couple months thats not bad.

dude....seriously, do you REALLY play this game? If so, have you ever had a toon over lvl 100? Because High-end missions with a FULL TEAM take HOURS. And they are boring....run into room, hit q, try not to fall asleep. Maybe have to HoT the tank because the doc just LD'ed....again.

If you can find a doc that is, and that takes a looooong time unless you're really lucky...and then guess what? you get to the mission, someone pulls 2 mobs instead of one, or laggs in teh door and pulls them all, doc dies, loggs, and the process starts over again.

You know what I do in Neocron dude? I log on, go to a good leveling spot, say "Team Please", get teamed, and level.

Yeah, it was hard to part with several high lvl characters (176 being the lowest), but Shoadowlands was the last straw. And other games are just so much better.

lvl 200 doc lvl 200 enf and a lvl 107 trader, and i dont ever remember a mission taking 4 hours, but i guess this is why they have more then one mmorpg title, so we can choose which one we wanna play image

**Bling ~ Bling**

Upcoming NC expansion info....

http://www.neocron.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=NeoContent&file=index&pageID=190

mmmm.....DX9 bump-mapped mmorpg.....mmmmmimage

• Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377

Notice this person mentions nothing of Neocron.. probably because hes never played it.

AO can not even remotely compare to Neocron.  Its not even a video game its a VR chatroom.  And Neocron is about to get all the social factors that AO has so then it will have nothing. 

AO has like 5 sounds, 5 icons, pictures and animations for all the different types of items in the game...  All the classes are rediculously similar... No legitimate tradeskill system... Its just pathetic  Theres no difference between level 1 and level 200 other than a few numbers. 

Neocron is an awesome game that is much much deeper and more complex. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

actually i did play neocron, i played it in the later beta stages with 2 of my friends, its a decent game, but it doesnt offer enough, so i cant see paying for it

i also find it very funny that you said what you did in the above post yet you started this thread about neocron and posted the following

"This game started out good then went straight downhill"

Originally posted by Kriminal99

Oh so you want me to elaborate? hah ok. 

PVP in the game is now a complete and utter waste of time and this is what the entire concept of the game is based on.  To pvp in Neocron is to waste time and money.  Your not going to get anything from it so you might as well play neocron as a 1 player game until your bored of it then play quake 3 to fps pvp because its not going to be any more meaningful than that without any decent reward behind your wins.
    Not that you cant even pk now, because have the places you can go where enemies might be you will be instantly oblitterated by enemy guards of some type.  This includes more than half the wasteland as well.  And trust me when I say this limits more activities than just pvp
    By "does not promote teamplay" I don't mean finding a team to fight mobs that is easy.  I don't mean that if you go to the caves where people are probably already hunting anyways (only at prime time that is.. heck make that euro prime time)  you wont be able to find a team.  I don't mean it isn't better to team to fight mobs. I mean there is no incentive for people to combine their skills to accomplish certain tasks such as hacking.  If a bunch of people go hunting nearby each other and one of the hacks, they just keep all the stuff themself.  If there is a massive pvp battle involving many people, than what pathetic little is dropped by people as loot is actually aquired by some newbie hacker that happens to wander by and pick up the pieces.  Not by anyone who earned it.
    I forgot to mention as well that this game treats its customer base like complete and utter crap.  Players are often treated like children by immature volunteer Mods, GMs, Company officers, and customer service representitives alike.  Every patch brings either many untold changes which hurt many players or bugs... whichever...  The company takes no responsibility for its mistakes and acts as if every player is responsible for the worst action commited by the worst person. 
    When it comes to game balance the company has absolutely no clue what they are doing.  Every patch sees the classes yo yo back and forth to incredible highs and lows, a problem which could be alleviated with a simple knowledge of mathematics. 
    Compared to most other games, you will reach the endgame of Neocron very quickly, because the game was originaly designed to be pvp based.  This was ruined, so now the game is just really short with nothing to do at the end. 
    All and all neocron as it is now is pretty piss poor. 

**Bling ~ Bling**

• Kriminal99Kriminal99 Member Posts: 377

Because as bad as neocron is now, AO is that much worse.  Neocron started out a really good game.  Even now its a much more deeper, complex, and engaging game then AO.  But every patch they destroy more and more of the fun in it and at this point it gets boring pretty damn fast, and they already had it once where it was really fun and they changed it. 

Thats really frusterating especially when all they have to do to make the game fun again is sit down and think about it a bit and change one or two small things.  If someone at funcom genuinely wanted to make AO fun (as opposed as just get as much money as possible with the least amount of effort), they would just about be better off to start from scratch.

let me guess you never went outside the city right?  lol thats why a beta is a beta not the real game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBABILITY(YOUR STATEMENTS BEING MOTIVATED BY FEAR(I>U)) > .5

actually i did go out in the fields when i played neocron

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    I was in BETA 2 of Neocron...or was it 3 i dont recall.  Punching giant rats in sewers to death was soooo  great.  I liked it so much I tried doing it in rl, couldn't knock any of them out though.  One of them bit me :(  No giant rats though, Neocron seems to be very unrealistic. 

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• NightbrotherNightbrother Member Posts: 35

Hi.

Kriminal99's long post is highly one-sided and very subjective, which is why I haven't cared to reply to it. He must really have had an awful time there, all the time. That's really too bad, cause he makes it look like his experience is the norm, which isn't really a fair thing to try to do. There are many people who care about Neocron. What has scared people away most I think is getting the thing started, the patches, the trial, and the starting area, which can seem a bit dauting. After that, everything changes.

No matter what anyone says, try it if you feel like trying. I can only hope you get to have a great time, like I've had since December 2002. image

• phantiumphantium Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Neocron.....no contest. I played AO for 2 years.
    No shouting for a team for an hour.
    No 4 hour missions.
    No crippling lag spikes.
    PVP that WORKS!
    No rubber-banding.....let me say that again....no rubber-banding.
    Patched content is tested for a LOOOOOONG time and works as inteded when released.
    NO SHADOWLANDS!!!!
    omfg, the list could go on for days.

Neocron is the ultimate griefer experience.

Played it and a friend got basicly slaughtered by a high lvl dork.

Twitter @Phantium

• GardarGardar Member Posts: 50
    I really havent played any of those games but  i've heard good things from both Games :)

Gar

Gar

• EndarEndar Member Posts: 5

Neocron. AO is just simply so fecking boring that you cant play it more than 1 hour before you fall to sleep. Besides the tradeskill system sucks... Actually AO is quite like BiosFear, you run around killing 1000 mobs and get a level, buy a weapon and few healing items and start running around and killing mobs again...

"When you see a giant mushroom middle of green field and a pink cow is flying in the sky, you know im near."

"When you see a giant mushroom middle of green field and a pink cow is flying in the sky, you know im near."

• XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236

I would have to say that AO was a pretty fun game for the first month or so, but I personally am getting bored with kill stufff...loot...buy stufff...kill stuff...Ding!  I have been playing my FPS's a lot more lately, but they can get rather boring as well.  That's actually why I came to the Neocron folder in the first place...Is this game fun?  Does the game mesh the rpg and fps genre's well together?  Also is there good number of people playing at any given time?  Thank you for your feedback...Xaldor

• menkadarmenkadar Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by Xaldor

I would have to say that AO was a pretty fun game for the first month or so, but I personally am getting bored with kill stufff...loot...buy stufff...kill stuff...Ding!  I have been playing my FPS's a lot more lately, but they can get rather boring as well.  That's actually why I came to the Neocron folder in the first place...Is this game fun?  Does the game mesh the rpg and fps genre's well together?  Also is there good number of people playing at any given time?  Thank you for your feedback...Xaldor

The fps combat is by far the most fun i have had in any mmorpg, kinda sufferes from some weapon balancing issues due to recent patches but a COMPLETE weapon rework is going on as i type this. As far as population goes its dependent on the server, Saturn has a good amount of people in it.. Best idea is to try it for urself because there is a 15 day free trial and if u want you can download this unofficial trailer made by a member of the NC community to see what th pvp is like.

http://bitblit.net/~xbox/fangpromo.zip 

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Anarchy Online has lost any cyberpunk feeling that it had before Shadowlands. It has a better storyline though, with real depth, but the role-playing community is small. I'm still too new in Neocron to know how the community is like.

What I really hated with AO in the last few months is routine and time-sinks. Since most people don't do team missions anymore, where there was a sense of variety (NT mobs, enf mobs, etc.), now all you do is hecklers, hecklers and more hecklers. Any other activity usually involves camping a certain mob for a real low drop-rate.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• patsopatso Member Posts: 9

I play Neocron currently and trialed AO for 7 days. For me they are completely separate types of games, Neocron being a FPS shooter RPG and AO being a more traditional RPG.

I enjoyed both, but have stuck with Neocron due to the FPS nature of the combat and community. I would still play AO, it is more feature-rich and has more depth, but I don't have the time to get involved with that. Neocron fits my requirements perfectly. I just hope the expansion for Neocron adds more depth to the story as once you get nearly capped you are limited in what you can do. Plus we need somre more classes/skills as most people end up with very similar weapons/skills once they gain rare weapons etc.

• phantiumphantium Member UncommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

dude....seriously, do you REALLY play this game? If so, have you ever had a toon over lvl 100? Because High-end missions with a FULL TEAM take HOURS. And they are boring....run into room, hit q, try not to fall asleep. Maybe have to HoT the tank because the doc just LD'ed....again.

If you can find a doc that is, and that takes a looooong time unless you're really lucky...and then guess what? you get to the mission, someone pulls 2 mobs instead of one, or laggs in teh door and pulls them all, doc dies, loggs, and the process starts over again.

You know what I do in Neocron dude? I log on, go to a good leveling spot, say "Team Please", get teamed, and level.

Yeah, it was hard to part with several high lvl characters (176 being the lowest), but Shoadowlands was the last straw. And other games are just so much better.

Ok seriously, you got a problem here, missions don't take about 4 hours. Maybe 1 hour but that's it.

I have a lvl 200 Soldier, a lvl 190 Soldier and a lvl 182 Nanotechnician.

I played since 2001, don't tell me that your right about this.
    Becouse you are simply wrong. Word.

Characters:
    Lvl 190 Soldier: http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/1/name/badjudgement
    Lvl 200 Soldier: http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/1/name/unit999
    Lvl 182 Nanotechnician: Forgot the name but yeah i have one.

Twitter @Phantium

• jupi.geistjupi.geist Member Posts: 4

Well, played nc since ... phew ... beta 4, and first day of retail start in germany ... the game change a lot since these days, it was a long time ago some realy RPG now it is more some FPS with skilling, you can cap most chars within a few days and some help, after this there is only pvp and done.

So, after a long time i break it up and try ao, first it was some real shock, but after some free trial weeks and testing i stay there, and by now i dont even know why i wasted my time with nc.

Take away the pvp from ao and nc, and compare what is left, nc nearly nothing, ao ... well find it out, its worth it, the trial is free and you may meet people who wont kill you on sight ... even with the "wrong" faction.

And btw. i like my addons on harddisk by time, not on some "pre-pre-order list" maybe i will take a peek into doy - if it comes out this year - but i looks like nc is more then ever going on some shooter trip with random skilling, and with all the nice pk bugs inside and new rules which gives you zero if you loose something due to bugs, lots of people leaving 'cause kk cant even hold their promise about the "benefit" of being one of the older ones, in fact it doesnt matter if you are atm in nc or not, so if you want to try it wait untill doy comes into store.

• MerrickDMerrickD Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 17

AO has like 5 sounds, 5 icons, pictures and animations for all the different types of items in the game...  All the classes are rediculously similar... No legitimate tradeskill system... Its just pathetic  Theres no difference between level 1 and level 200 other than a few numbers. 

I can't comment on Neocron, as I have never played the game.

I recently cancelled my AO account as I have burnt myself out on playing, but I wanted to say that what I have quoted above is 100% false and innacurate.  This person has obviously never played the game, or if he has, he never made it out of the newbie backyard.

• aquaangelaquaangel Member Posts: 33

actually i did play neocron, i played it in the later beta stages with 2 of my friends, its a decent game, but it doesnt offer enough, so i cant see paying for i

While I can't comment on AO as I have not played it. I can tell you that I basing your review on such an old incantation of the game is hardly fair.

NC from beta (or even 3 months ago) is a very different game.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Since i play AO a lot more then neocron i would say AO is not at all bad, sure killing heckler 4567 is boring as hell, but you don't really have to, at least not untill 200+, i try to spend time in both shadowlands and rubi-ka, just got a few chars into the third sl playfield(Scheol) and for me that is a nice thing, i play self buffed mostly, and therefore i don't have the best items possible, but to me that makes the game more fun since i can look forward to upgrades a lot longer then ubah twink 456248686.004 that got the best stuff on at 90.

The part about kill monster and level, buy more/better armor/weapons and kill more monster is probably how every rpg is built more or less so not much to say about that, try everquest, it's the same basic thing kill stuff -> level -> but better items -> kill harder stuff -> level up and so on.

As for neocron, well haven't played much at all, have a hard time even getting a grip on the different jobs, but the few times i have been online i think the game seems like it could be fun.