Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

welcome to the "dark age" of the MMORPG industry...

dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186
No-one in the industy seems to be listening.

A real point here, that seems to get lost in all the side discussion, is the very real fact that Linear has won over Sandbox style of MMO. This
has set the industry back about 6 years in my opinion. The "WoW effect"
has single-handedly caused the sex change of SWG from an open-ended
sandbox, to a sick, perverted, half-breed of a Linear crossover.

I
just can't understand why developers hate sand-box games so much.
Sandbox games are what the ultimate MMO is supposed to be, not
linear.... not cooky-cutter... these types of MMO's can never simulate
an open-ended world with the freedoms that sandbox games can. This
linear crap that the "WoW effect" has brought has perverted the
industry away from sand-box style games... as proof, one only needs to
look at the games currently in development on the MMO horizion to see
that there are zero sandbox MMO's even on the drawing board.

The next company to create a sandbox MMO will get my money, and lots of it.

Also,
there needs to be more space-based MMO's (EVE doesn't really count,
it's more of an RTS-MMORPG)... an MMO that ties the space game into the
ground game (instead of two seperate entity's like SWG [unfortunatly]
did. I personally, hate this cartoony fantasy crap that's out their
right now. I hope we see a shift in the next generation of MMO's
towards space-based settings.

My final point is this: I
think we're entering a "dark age" in MMO history, where nothing of
substance is being created, no real quality, no depth, no breadth....
and no end in sight. In short, it sucks to be us.

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    That was actually one thing I was planning a new editorial to be about in a few weeks, some of the negative unintended consequences of WoW's success, and how I think it will damage the MMO market long term as far as innovation and creativity goes.
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by dolanious

A real point here, that seems to get lost in all the side discussion, is the very real fact that Linear has won over Sandbox style of MMO. This

I
    linear.... not cooky-cutter... these types of MMO's can never simulate
    an open-ended world with the freedoms that sandbox games can. This
    linear crap that the "WoW effect" has brought has perverted the
    industry away from sand-box style games... as proof, one only needs to
    look at the games currently in development on the MMO horizion to see
    that there are zero sandbox MMO's even on the drawing board.

Also,
    it's more of an RTS-MMORPG)... an MMO that ties the space game into the
    ground game (instead of two seperate entity's like SWG [unfortunatly]
    did. I personally, hate this cartoony fantasy crap that's out their
    right now. I hope we see a shift in the next generation of MMO's
    towards space-based settings.

Yea, Id love a REAL space MMO, but unfortunately there are just as many people who bitch about that genre as their are that bitch about fantasy. Plus why spend extra money on creating a origional space environment and plot/story when you can use the ran over and cooked well fantasy genre that has an extensive lore? Thats the mind of todays developers. Spend less, earn more.

Yea this is the Dark Age of MMO gaming, and there isnt a Renaissance anywhere down the road because I dont see anybody in this industry right now that relates to Chaucer.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• kymekyme Member Posts: 411

A real point here, that seems to get lost in all the side discussion, is the very real fact that Linear has won over Sandbox style of MMO. This has set the industry back about 6 years in my opinion. The "WoW effect" has single-handedly caused the sex change of SWG from an open-ended sandbox, to a sick, perverted, half-breed of a Linear crossover.

I just can't understand why developers hate sand-box games so much. Sandbox games are what the ultimate MMO is supposed to be, not linear.... not cooky-cutter... these types of MMO's can never simulate an open-ended world with the freedoms that sandbox games can. This linear crap that the "WoW effect" has brought has perverted the industry away from sand-box style games... as proof, one only needs to look at the games currently in development on the MMO horizion to see that there are zero sandbox MMO's even on the drawing board.

Also, there needs to be more space-based MMO's (EVE doesn't really count, it's more of an RTS-MMORPG)... an MMO that ties the space game into the ground game (instead of two seperate entity's like SWG [unfortunatly] did. I personally, hate this cartoony fantasy crap that's out their right now. I hope we see a shift in the next generation of MMO's towards space-based settings.

My final point is this: I think we're entering a "dark age" in MMO history, where nothing of substance is being created, no real quality, no depth, no breadth.... and no end in sight. In short, it sucks to be us.

/agree
  • ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776
    I have a vision of an MMO with 10000s of planets with real space requires, etc.
    And as many asteriods, platetoids, etc.  Each its own world.

And space, did I mention the vastness of space in my vision?

And the thing is, a clustered system could handle the problem too...

anyway, my day dream of a real sandbox SCIFI MMO/RPG/RTS/FPS.

Yea that would be nice Clack, but we have no hope. You know what is the PERFECT example of the type of space MMO world we desperately need? Freelancer. Too bad Microsoft owns the rights.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by iceman00
    That was actually one thing I was planning a new editorial to be about in a few weeks, some of the negative unintended consequences of WoW's success, and how I think it will damage the MMO market long term as far as innovation and creativity goes.

I honestly can't wait for that editorial, it should be a good read. As far as your editorials go, do you have a length cut-off? Because to me, they seem kinda short....whenever I read them I always get the feeling that you want to say more than you do but can't because you're stuck with a hard template. If so, I petition that! I want to hear it all!

It appears we both agree, I really don't see how the MMO market will break out of it's "Wow Effect". As you state, I also believe that the damage is going to be long-term.

It's going to take a maverick developer that hasn't even been formed yet to create an innovative sandbox game, with depth and breadth that will force the big development houses to change.

I'd guess that maybe by 2009, if we're lucky.

I play WoW so I guess im part of the scourge. But I really dont believe WoW is the cause of this. Is it the reason for the NGE....probably, but beyond that I dont think its influenced the market anymore than EQ1 or EQ2, or even L2 or AO. I mean so many of these games have so much in common, so you cant really blame one or the other for x feature in x game. The only factor you can go on is WoW's success, although it is a big factor. If youre gonna blame WoW for the status of the industry, then you might as well blame Ford for all the bad vehicles that are made.

— Boba Fett

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Spathotan
    I play WoW so I guess im part of the scourge. But I really dont believe WoW is the cause of this. Is it the reason for the NGE....probably, but beyond that I dont think its influenced the market anymore than EQ1 or EQ2, or even L2 or AO. I mean so many of these games have so much in common, so you cant really blame one or the other for x feature in x game. The only factor you can go on is WoW's success, although it is a big factor. If youre gonna blame WoW for the status of the industry, then you might as well blame Ford for all the bad vehicles that are made.

I played WoW for awhile to Spath.  I don't think individual players are neccessarily at fault.  (How I'm going to say that in this editorial I have no clue, I gotta tread extremely careful, then hope the powers that be like it lol.)  I think it's more the reaction the market gave to WoW.

I might open a discussion thread somewhere to get a few ideas on how to approach it before I go try to sit down and write it.

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

Originally posted by Spathotan

I agree. If anything, Wow has shown the industry that mmo's can be virtually bug free, complete games that attract millions worldwide, and that people will expect that from an mmo from now on. No more rushed starts and half-assed publishes. The only thing revolutionary from Wow is its completeness.

For the Horde!

• DistilerDistiler Member Posts: 416
    WoW numbers are a rarity, statistically speaking. It's there, but noone is going to be able to reproduce the same succes in the next years.

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    Haha, if Blizzard can come out with a Warcraft MMORPG, what's to stop them from going into space and starting a Starcraft one? Haha, I can see it now.. "Starcraft Universe" or something like that.

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

Originally posted by Rinic
    Haha, if Blizzard can come out with a Warcraft MMORPG, what's to stop them from going into space and starting a Starcraft one? Haha, I can see it now.. "Starcraft Universe" or something like that.

It it's made as well as Wow, then bring it on.

For the Horde!

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

WoW is not the problem.

The problem is these dumb ass game developers trying to copy WoW to make a buck.

Is There no cReAtIvItY anymore?

Easy is not always better......some ppl like it hard

and what is so hard about skills instead of levels?

Much like a 3 legged stool, you can't fix just one leg an expect it to
    work. There are multiple problems with MMO design by the big
    development houses today, and just like the stool, you just can't fix
    just one problem and expect a solution to work, all three problems need
    to be fixed or nothing works (i.e. the stool doesn't stand).

Oh, and here's why the phrase, "WoW effect" is real, and not just a glib creation. Most people don't play more than one MMO. Why?

1) Because you have to pay a monthly fee, $15 a month for one is too much for most, let alone for another.
    2) MMO's are time-consuming, and meant to be in-depth, this means if you're splitting your time between 2 MMO's, you're not really playing either, are you? (meaning you don't get indepth with either, since you're splitting your time up). And if you are, you're certainly the exception not the rule.

For these reasons, the MMO industry is differen't than any other gaming genre. It's not like you make an FPS game... chances are palyers are going to
    buy another FPS game in another month, and switch between the two often. For MMO's, it's an all-or-nothing deal, a 0 sum game. There's a finite # of subcribers and if you don't have them, you don't have them, and wont unless they cancel their other sub.

This is why the "Wow effect" is so profoud. WoW isn't just apart of the MMORPG industry, it practically IS the industry because the bulk of MMO subs belong to them.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by LilT

I agree. If anything, Wow has shown the industry that mmo's can be virtually bug free, complete games that attract millions worldwide, and that people will expect that from an mmo from now on. No more rushed starts and half-assed publishes. The only thing revolutionary from Wow is its completeness.

Um, software can be made of nominal quality. Just because you played SWG doesn't mean the rest of the industry is like that.

The fact that SWG couldn't be properly debuged because of its complexity is complete and utter BS. It comes from revolving door policy, revenue driven management, and complete lack of attention on code.

This is how majority of business operate.

A few years back agile developmend became a fad. While not perfect, it does cater to changing requirements well. It was adopted by many gaming companies, allowing them to almost entirely eliminate the defects in software.

Due to the Microsoft affect, many people are convinced that it's impossible to make software that doesn't launch with bugs, incomplete features, and broken content. This is wrong. For quite some time techniques exist which allow incredibly comprehensive, exhaustive automated software quality control since day one of development. Downsides: good engineers, no-nonsense management with no hidden agenda, and open aproach to problems.

These are all the traits you will not find in a typical business. Engineers are hired round the clock, their only task is to implement what the requirements document says. Nobody cares if what is done actually works. Management is completely separated, middle managers locked in eternal powerfights, spending majority of time climbing the ladder and shifting the blame. Problems are never addressed. Most of management spends their time finding someone else to blame, and finding new ways to work around existing problems.

But there are companies that know how to operate today, not in medieval times. Because these are indeed medieval feudal times of software industry. Game development is lagging in these aspects, but they are catching on. What's more, they are becoming imperative in order to be even able to compete.

But anyone claiming that MMOs cannot be released without bugs lives in a dark place. In a world where a company is handling 70 million clients (myspace) or billions database queries per hour (google/yahoo), an MMO with several thousand concurrent users is a toy.

But it all comes from the fact, that people who can bring this cost money. Those that invest into people reap the rewards. Those that don't, clutch on every single dime whenever they can.

It's not software development that's the problem, as always, it's all about money.
  • derektoddderektodd Member Posts: 79
    I hope Perpetual has people on their staff taking lots of notes. Star Trek Online has the potential to be the PRE-CU of SWG style of play. If they don't take note of our concerns they may not have enough people will ing to go through this same crap that SOE put us through.
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by derektodd
    I hope Perpetual has people on their staff taking lots of notes. Star Trek Online has the potential to be the PRE-CU of SWG style of play. If they don't take note of our concerns they may not have enough people will ing to go through this same crap that SOE put us through.

STO will be strictly level progression based, with completely fixed roles. No sandbox of any kind, most likely heavily instanced content, on very harshly defined scenery, 1 to 1 copy straight out of movies.

It may be a bit laxer, but burst your bubble right now.

STO will be completely star treky and iconic from day one.
  • IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

To my knowledge, SOE is the only MMO company that has tried to adopt a WoW model with its games. I don't see a trend towards greating similar games to WoW. Like others have said, if anything, Blizzard has shown theres a large market for MMOs.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

You obviously don't have much historical perspective. If you look at MUDs (they are like MMORPGs, but with text), the Diku-derivative (EQ-style) became the clear winner of that war. There was no "WoW effect". That's just what people prefered to play, not to mention was easier to implement. But just because there were hundreds of Diku-derivatives doesn't mean that there weren't slightly less, but still hundreds of lpMUDs, MOOs, MUSHes, and so on.

It just seems like the field is dominated by linear games, but if you really pay attention, you'll notice games like Second Life or Puzzle Pirates enjoying a non-mainstream success. As the cost of developing MMORPGs goes down (Sun has a new games server technology which looks promising), you'll start seeing more games like this. Games which need fewer players to be successful. When it comes down to it, Raph Koster was a hugely influential designer in the field, but the field grew up and became standardized. That's what happens after the halcyon days of garage development. Then, after that standardization hits, an indie scene developers.

What you are really complaining about isn't the lack of sandbox (or rather, playground) styled MMORPGs, but the changes to SWG that you are expanding to include all MMORPGs. SWG made a business decision, most likely not based on WoW but on Battlefront II. I can't say what SOE's motivations were (beyond more money) but other linear games like City of Heroes was a linear grindfest long before WoW ever came out. WoW is a symptom. Not the cause. I hate WoW, but I'm not going to blame it for something it didn't do. Only a handful of MMORPGs came out after WoW, and most of the ones coming up seem to be closer to sandbox than WoW anyway.

I

They are costlier to develop, and outside the standardized EQ-style progression, nearly impossible to balance. There are maybe 10 decent designers in the entire game industry TOTAL capable of creating a good NEW gameplay system. Designers that understand things more complex than "risk = reward". Raph Koster is one of them. The rest don't do MMORPGs. But I'm not going to pin my hopes on Koster alone, as his ideas are almost without exception misguided and half baked.

linear....

That is a preference. An opinion. It's not fact. It's not even a majority opinion. I prefer virtual worlds, myself, but I've long since stopped crying when new games come out embracing a different philosophy. SWG is still the most sandboxy "game" MMORPG on the market, though I'd pay close attention to what happens with Ryzom over the next few months.

Also,
    it's more of an RTS-MMORPG)...

On this point, we are in complete agreement. I hate fantasy and techno-fantasy that pretends it is scifi. However, I'd like to add that I want even more genres, like gothic horror or post-apocalyptic.

This dark age started a long time ago, well before WoW ever came out. When I was applying to the game industry a few years ago, it seemed like EVERY game company was working on a MMORPG. Not a single one of them ever saw the light of day. The gold rush has past, and by nature, the dark age started as a result. But looking at the in development list, I see a lot of games with potential and don't think the dark age will last much longer.

So, with that, I leave these forums on a message of hope - that a better future does exist and will be forthcoming. Hopefully, I can help.
  • fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

People sadly have very little imagination these days and have to be led sheep like to get anywhere,this is the secret of WOW's success,blindly leading players on a set path,this is the way forward of MMO sadly SWG was the last bastion of the sandbox game me thinks and given its failure nobody will be willing to put money into creating another sandbox game in a hurry.

As i say people are thick nowadays

Gray text are my words, yellow is Squidi
    's."You obviously don't have much historical perspective. If you look at MUDs (they are like MMORPGs, but with text), the Diku-derivative (EQ-style) became the clear winner of that war. There was no "WoW effect". That's just what people prefered to play, not to mention was easier to implement." - Squidi

I never played MUDS, but as far as I know people didn't pay a monthly fee in order to play those. MUDS weren't the dark ages, it was more of a pre-birth stage...that lead up to ONLINE MMORPGS. MUDS would be completly unrecogisable to the majority of current MMO players and MMORPG's just didn't exist at that time, so the MMO era hadn't even begun.... so there was no "WoW effect then" because nothing existed. There was literally no MMO industry at that time.

"What you are really complaining about isn't the lack of sandbox (or rather, playground) styled MMORPGs, but the changes to SWG that you are expanding to include all MMORPGs. SWG made a business decision, most likely not based on WoW but on Battlefront II. I can't say what SOE's motivations were (beyond more money) but other linear games like City of Heroes was a linear grindfest long before WoW ever came out. WoW is a symptom. Not the cause. I hate WoW, but I'm not going to blame it for something it didn't do. Only a handful of MMORPGs came out after WoW, and most of the ones coming up seem to be closer to sandbox than WoW anyway."
    - Squidi

If you truly believe SOE/LA's changes to SWG were based on Battlefront II and not WoW, then I wont even bother responding.... becuase there's just no use. All I can say is, no clear-thinking person believes that.

"They are costlier to develop, and outside the standardized EQ-style progression, nearly impossible to balance. There are maybe 10 decent designers in the entire game industry TOTAL capable of creating a good NEW gameplay system. Designers that understand things more complex than "risk = reward". Raph Koster is one of them. The rest don't do MMORPGs. But I'm not going to pin my hopes on Koster alone, as his ideas are almost without exception misguided and half baked.
    " -Squidi

Sandbox games are harder to develop (obviously). Sandbox games require innovation, out-of-the-mainstream design, requires talent and actual thought on the part of the developers to create... which is why we aren't seeing them right now, and none are on the drawing board. Hence, we're entering a "dark ages" period where innovation is next to nill and there is nothing out there that says to me or anyone else that this is going to change anytime soon.

"Sandbox games are what the ultimate MMO is supposed to be, not
    linear...." - Dolanious

"That is a preference. An opinion. It's not fact. It's not even a majority opinion. I prefer virtual worlds, myself, but I've long since stopped crying when new games come out embracing a different philosophy. SWG is still the most sandboxy "game" MMORPG on the market, though I'd pay close attention to what happens with Ryzom over the next few months.
    " - Squidi

Please. Everyone, I mean everyone, prefers the freedom of sandbox games over the locked-down nature of linear MMO's, they may not know they do, but they do. The problem is the majority of people playing MMO's (besides the hard core reading this site, such as you and I) don't even know the difference. Most people have no idea what kind of MMO they are playing.... so how could you expect them to possibly have a preference? The reason WoW is so popular isn't because it's linear, it's mostly becuase of its IP.

Lets pretend you have two versions of WoW, one is a linear form and the other is a sandbox version. All things remaining equal, the sandbox version wins, that's the one more people play. Take any kind of pole you want, sandbox wins over linear any day of the week.

"My final point is this: I
    and no end in sight. In short, it sucks to be us." - Dolanious

"This dark age started a long time ago, well before WoW ever came out.  The gold rush has past, and by nature, the dark age started as a result. But looking at the in development list, I see a lot of games with potential and don't think the dark age will last much longer.
    " - Squidi

You have way more faith in the industry than I do, you're clearly an idealist. I'm a realist and I see nothing, absolutly nothing that even begins to peak my interest on the MMO drawing board. The dark ages are here.
  • VastarVastar Member Posts: 176
     I don't post as much but I read regularly and this is probably the first time I can say I agree with Squidi.

There are a lot of crap MMORPGs around and in development. I think that is just a symptom of there being more of them. I mean, think of how many GOOD movies you enjoy. Now think about how many lame ones there are by comparison. I always thought of the MMORPG "dark age" as post EQ launch. Really though, we just started having more to compare to after that. Along with that, I think games require more than just the novelty of being an MMORPG.

With a larger market I'm guessing we'll get more casual players and the ratio won't ever really even out. When people have only a mild interest in something they'll never require as "good" of a product. Those that take it more seriously are going to need something else. Now that the MMORPG making thing has been more than pioneered, what type of game do you think less innovative followers are going to shoot for? The complex one with a smaller, more picky market or the easy road with the larger less concerned crowd?

No matter what the real reason though, can we just please get ONE decent MMORPG with a bit of depth to it and some real player interaction?

• janjansonjanjanson Member Posts: 201

I agree with the OP.

I think a  persistant online world needs a the sandbox model and a complicated crafting system with interdependant professions as a backdrop to a good pvp system.  I think this is the only way to make a complete "real feeling" world with real immersion.

I play EVE now, but I would prefer a ground based humanoid avatar in a scifi world.

They should make a mmorpg based on the Star Wars universe, I think there would be a lot of interest in that.

• oreyioreyi Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by iceman00

But, Blizzard has done nothing wrong... They had an idea, and it has been terribly successfull...
    SoE's greed made them change their game, and they have been taking the wrong decissions since then.

I wouldn't mind to play a swg game done by Blizzard, but I still prefered SWG pre-cu.

It's all SoE/LA's fault in my opinion.
  • capnjoshcapnjosh Member Posts: 14

--Sandbox games are what the ultimate MMO is supposed to be, not linear--

Precisely.

SWG pre-CU did it and did it well.  The devs mistook people's complaints to be caused by the sandbox universe that SWG had created.  In reality, people were complaining about bugs, UI issues, and combat balance.

The sandbox MMO is ultimately going to take over, but as you have said we are entering a dark age.  I'm sure there will be a renaissance because I'm going to be a part of it:)