Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RF Online Review

AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

Out of 10

Graphics: 9
Sound: 9
Role Playing: 8
Value: 7
Fun: 8
Community: 7
Preformance / Lag: 7
Customer Service: * Didnt need to use customer service as of yet so dont know

hey people, well i tried out the 10 day trial and played a fair bit... dont get me wrong its a really nice game but just not the game for me, something was wrong with it, the controls, the way people moved, i dunno what it was but i really didnt like it ><

I played each race for about 2-3 days each, i found the game very non noob friendly, as i started yeah i learnt how to move and hit stuff but i didnt know wheres what, what im supposed to do.. each game iv played so far has had some sort of pre searing, RF Onlines tutorial only shows you how to move and hit stuff, they should fix that asap when i started for about one hour i was walking around lost not knowing what im supposed to do

the community was pretty good.. people helped and not one person flamed me for being new, i know in the games i play now that people will flame new players all the time

graphics/sound was awsome.. just the way they walked seemed a little train tracked.. meaning u cant move as freely as u can in other games (play wow + guild wars + Linage2 and you will know wat im talking about) i dont care about weather u can jump around or not but something about it wasnt right ><

fighting style was nice.. very nice

didnt get to see pvp content but im guessing its nice

it didnt lag at all for me, i hear of a lot of lag but i didnt get none

in conclusion...

this game isnt for me but i know its a nice game... if i was forced to play it by the government or something lol i know it wont be bad.. for now ill stick to WoW + Guild Wars :)

enjoy RF Online people and i hope it keeps getting better

Comments

• s0ulls0ull Member Posts: 186
    fair review 

• Mikey0002Mikey0002 Member Posts: 97
    I'll call it a fair review. Aseenus was open and truthful. Unfortunately, MMORPGs are not all the same and RF Online, is less noobie friendly, yes. Its for those players who wish to get away from the noobie (very easy simple) games, like WoW and GW.

You found it hard to understand what to do, because you didn't realise what RF Online is all about. RF Online, is practically all about PvP.....all 3 factions fighting each other, one trying to win over the other, and its really good PvP. The Koreans seem to love grinding, so all you had to do to become strong enough to get into the Chip Wars, was just kill kill kill.

There is nothing much else to do except kill kill and just kill more MoBs. This game isn't the greatest PvE game, lol, not by a long way......but it is an awesome incredibly fast paced PvP game loaded with tactics and fun.

Another inaccurate statement (and the last one) is, you mentioned Lineage II. I've played Lineage and RF Online, and to be honest, their User Interface is very similar in some ways. Anyone who's played them both should agree that movement in Lineage II and RF Online is also very similar. Anyway, I will agree with you about it when comparing it with WoW.......WoW has a lot more freedom feel in its movement, and thats what I admired about that game, but I find it so boring.

I play RF Online to pass the time and to enjoy the PvP and great community......the game I am waiting for a beta testing is The Chronicles of Spellborn.

Anyway, what I mentioned above, effected his interview slightly....but it was still a fairly accurate interview....just seen from a different point of view.

RF Online is not a PvE game.....the PvE is just there to lvl you up to get into the PvP stage. There are also quests, but you really don't need to do them....all they are is kill 30 giant kangaroos or whatever those things were...and so on.

Have to put something up!

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    This review isn´t quite right. the graphics don´t deserve a 9. yes, the character models and the HQ´s look nice, but thats about it. the enviroment is REALLY ugly.
    Roleplaying? what roleplaying? there is no Roleplaying in RFO.

I agree with the rest, but as you said you didn't even make it to the pvp part, I'm afraid your not really in a position to give a fair review yet.

Originally posted by Gameloading
    This review isn´t quite right. the graphics don´t deserve a 9. yes, the character models and the HQ´s look nice, but thats about it. the enviroment is REALLY ugly.

I agree with the rest, but as you said you didn't even make it to the pvp part, I'm afraid your not really in a position to give a fair review yet.

I don't really understand how you think the enviroment is ugly? I've played most MMO's it compares if not beats many games on the market.

The trouble with alot of PvP based MMO's is the lack of RP it comes down to which is more important to you as a player I personally opt for PvP over RP as I don't have much interest in it.

• matchnbpmmatchnbpm Member Posts: 15

I liked the game to a point were I reached being ganked by the pvp everytime I tried to level. this game is very much pvp orientated which is not my cup of tea. graphics are good for what its worth(love the bot theme). just wish there was a better safe zone to level...

I ended giving up and giving out 1,000,000 in increments out to people that responded with my shout. good way to go out if you ask me. btw love the mining feature, wish all games had something like that.. sometime so hard to get to the core if you know what I mean ;P

wish u all luck

still looking for a better mmorpg....

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by s0ull

Originally posted by Gameloading

I don't really understand how you think the enviroment is ugly? I've played most MMO's it compares if not beats many games on the market.

The trouble with alot of PvP based MMO's is the lack of RP it comes down to which is more important to you as a player I personally opt for PvP over RP as I don't have much interest in it.

mate..the mountains are made out of blocks...clifs are made out of blocks..everything in the enviroment looks like its made of blocks. and look at the grass, very impressive. I could make the same.....in paint! even the water looks horrible.
    Well I just looked in game again and checked around I still cannot see why you think it looks like that, but by all means if you can make it better in paint I'd be impressed 
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Aseenus

Out of 10

Graphics: 9
    Sound: 9
    Role Playing: 8
    Value: 7
    Fun: 8
    Community: 7
    Preformance / Lag: 7
    Customer Service: * Didnt need to use customer service as of yet so dont know

hey people, well i tried out the 10 day trial and played a fair bit... dont get me wrong its a really nice game but just not the game for me, something was wrong with it, the controls, the way people moved, i dunno what it was but i really didnt like it ><
    I played each race for about 2-3 days each, i found the game very non noob friendly, as i started yeah i learnt how to move and hit stuff but i didnt know wheres what, what im supposed to do.. each game iv played so far has had some sort of pre searing, RF Onlines tutorial only shows you how to move and hit stuff, they should fix that asap when i started for about one hour i was walking around lost not knowing what im supposed to do
    the community was pretty good.. people helped and not one person flamed me for being new, i know in the games i play now that people will flame new players all the time
    graphics/sound was awsome.. just the way they walked seemed a little train tracked.. meaning u cant move as freely as u can in other games (play wow + guild wars + Linage2 and you will know wat im talking about) i dont care about weather u can jump around or not but something about it wasnt right ><
    fighting style was nice.. very nice
    didnt get to see pvp content but im guessing its nice
    it didnt lag at all for me, i hear of a lot of lag but i didnt get none
    in conclusion...
    this game isnt for me but i know its a nice game... if i was forced to play it by the government or something lol i know it wont be bad.. for now ill stick to WoW + Guild Wars :)
    enjoy RF Online people and i hope it keeps getting better

You are far to generous with this game.

Graphics are no where even close to a 9. The character models look nice, I'll give it that. The environments are awful. Looks like Planetside. (not that Planetside is a bad game, just older) The world is no where near as rich and detailed as games like WoW, EQII, L2 or GW. Not even close. On top of it the variety of races isn't all that hot either. Big elves or small elves and robots that pretty much all look the same.

Sound 9? I guess.........didn't impress me to much. Games like EQII with voice overs are more in a 9 range or L2 with its huge variety of emersive music in all the different cities, racial areas, dungeons and wilderness zones. Those are 9's.

RolePlay 8? Hows that? Its a simple grinder. Levels and loot does NOT equal role playing. There is no emersive storyline or role for your character at all. Grind then do the chip wars. Thats arcade not RP. Heck GW has more RP going for it then this game.

Value/Fun and community are subjective. I rate the value at about a 2. But I paid 50 bucks for my copy at release.

I don't mean to rip into you but that was way to nice of a "review". You basically gave it a score of 8 (around a "B" or above average). Thats way to high. (PC Gamer scored this at 35% out of 100 and CGM at 2 stars out of 5)

This game has a very limited scope and mediocre graphics on a good day. Its an unapologetic grinder that doesn't even attempt to engage you, it just sets you right to the task of killing 10 of these and 10 of those. It completely ignores certain things that should be in a Sci - Fi PvP based game like land and air vehicles or even a compelling reason to level in the first place. The "war" thus far has been pretty non-dynamic. You are fighting over a mine.  

As it stands, Planetside is a better "value" and a far more complete PvP game. You don't get to play an elf in Planetside though.