Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSOFT responds to my email FINALLY!!

PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956
If you remember last week i started a topic concerning the suspension of my account.I had named a character in CoV "Stalin's HAMMER".

Well,it seems as if the naming policy in CoV/CoH is a no tolerance policy concerning names that are borderline "offensive".Keep in mind that the day of my suspension i recall seeing a character named"Brokeback mountainman".

Here is the NCSOFT response to my email:

I am sorry to read that you are upset over the decision to remove Stalin's HAMMER from the game.I understand your plight and as an alternative to it would you like us to rename it the Soviet HAMMER perhaps or something along those lines?As you know Joseph Stalin is of course dead and a figure in history he is also considered a hate monger and although this is a game where you can be a villian it is still considered a game that anyone can play.

Once we straighten out your name i will end the suspension i on your account and we will all get back to what we enjoy...playing the game.

Apparently he missed the part where i canceled my account around 5 days ago.

Hatemonger definition

If you know anything about that time in history Stalin without prejudice killed tens of millions of his own people.This was to support the soviet industrial state.He didnt setup "gas chambers" or the like he simply worked his own people to death.

Hitler on the other hand WAS a hatemonger.

Not that any of this even matters since i have canceled my CoV account i simply have more constructive things to do.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

Comments

• The guy who lived next door to me while I was growing up had to flee to the US because he was captured during WW2 and knew Stalin was killing anyone who was captured instead of dying on the battle field, especially if they were Armenian.  He personally knew various people who were killed by Stalin's regime for one reason or another.

So I suspect NCSoft has good reason for concern, considering some of his children and others like them might be playing.

• beautyisinbeautyisin Member Posts: 405

Link.,Link.,Link., I for one am glad your character got banned.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by beautyisin

um, what are you smoking?

joker kills people indiscriminately.  tortures and slays them for his jollies.  same can be said for oooo 80% or more of batman's enemies -- villains.

superman fights against epic villains who DESTROY worlds.

speaking of destroying worlds, ever heard of galactus?  epic world eating VILLAIN?

what sort of person makes a game called city of VILLAINS, has missions where you poison an entire city and every mission you have INVOLVES KILLING heroes, villains, innocent bystanders and goes "oh noes you made a villainous name -- BAN". 

kind of like their new mayhem missions?  where you go around trying to destroy and kill more and more and you get more points for the more destruction you cause? 

got a tally of how many people you kill in cov just leveling up to 10?  good guys just trying to protect innocents from YOU.  innocents just in the way.  heck, even gang bangers who don't bow down and worship you.. dead dead dead

you are glad that a VILLAIN with a VILLAINOUS name was banned?

exactly what level of the abyss do carebears like that inhabit?  is it the one with the guy that's all gelatinous and stuff and has all those ooze creatures wandering about?  that sounds about right.  next door to ooze castle we find carebear forest~!!!!

the list goes on and on of villains in comics who commit atrocities which make both stalin and hitler seem like kindergarteners eating mud pies.  but zomgwtfbbqpewpewpew~!!!!  you better not make a villainous name, "oh noes" you made a villainous name in a game ABOUT VILLAINS~!!!  ban ban ban ban

wow... just incredibly WOW.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

like i said before, make it Jughashvili's hammer.  that's 20 characters.  if you reactivate it, just start over and make that toon.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by Copeland

Edited.  Contained quote fro mdeleted post.

never played coh/cov eh?  never noticed the NAZI group that runs around and is one of the first mobs they created?

i hope you remain as intelligent as you are right now.

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Originally posted by gestalt11

The guy who lived next door to me while I was growing up had to flee to the US because he was captured during WW2 and knew Stalin was killing anyone who was captured instead of dying on the battle field, especially if they were Armenian.  He personally knew various people who were killed by Stalin's regime for one reason or another.
    So I suspect NCSoft has good reason for concern, considering some of his children and others like them might be playing.

Look im not denying that he was a HORRIBLE human being this isnt about that.But he wasnt going around like Hitler preaching about the genetic inferiority of a a race.He may have disliked armenian's sure but they werent the ONLY Soviet citicens being killed on a huge scale.

Hitler specifically targeted Jews as well as anyone he deemed genetically defecient.

What it IS about is the naming policy NCSOFT has in place.I gladly would have changed it if i simply had been asked to in game.Soviet HAMMER would have been acceptable.

They chose to suspend my account with no previous complaints on any server concerning my characters.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Edited. Contained quote from deleted post.

Who's the hatemonger now?

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Why do you keep whining as if NCsoft did something wrong? Your character's name was bad, and you broke the naming policy, period. on a side note, anybody who names his character to someone in real life or an object is a bit

Originally posted by damian7

um, what are you smoking?joker kills people indiscriminately.  tortures and slays them for his jollies.  same can be said for oooo 80% or more of batman's enemies -- villains.superman fights against epic villains who DESTROY worlds.speaking of destroying worlds, ever heard of galactus?  epic world eating VILLAIN?what sort of person makes a game called city of VILLAINS, has missions where you poison an entire city and every mission you have INVOLVES KILLING heroes, villains, innocent bystanders and goes "oh noes you made a villainous name -- BAN".  kind of like their new mayhem missions?  where you go around trying to destroy and kill more and more and you get more points for the more destruction you cause?  got a tally of how many people you kill in cov just leveling up to 10?  good guys just trying to protect innocents from YOU.  innocents just in the way.  heck, even gang bangers who don't bow down and worship you.. dead dead deadyou are glad that a VILLAIN with a VILLAINOUS name was banned?exactly what level of the abyss do carebears like that inhabit?  is it the one with the guy that's all gelatinous and stuff and has all those ooze creatures wandering about?  that sounds about right.  next door to ooze castle we find carebear forest~!!!!the list goes on and on of villains in comics who commit atrocities which make both stalin and hitler seem like kindergarteners eating mud pies.  but zomgwtfbbqpewpewpew~!!!!  you better not make a villainous name, "oh noes" you made a villainous name in a game ABOUT VILLAINS~!!!  ban ban ban banwow... just incredibly WOW.

I had trouble reading your retarded style of writing, but all i will say on the matter is that i voiced an opinion not based upon the hypocrisy, double standards, censorship, but based solely upon the fact that only a retard would name his character after someone that killed millions. fiction/reality can you distinguish between the two? My opinion is that within society we should be able to exercise free speach, this does not mean that i agree with certain things, i would like to ban everyone that uses leet speak just for the fun of it, hence i am glad that the fuckwit got banned because i think the name is childish. It's funny you call me a "carebear" have you ever been involved in real conflict in your life or just your comics? typical keyboard warrior... seeing as how you would not have any teeth if you had the misfortune to run in to me i would count yourself lucky.

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Why do you keep whining as if NCsoft did something wrong? Your character's name was bad, and you broke the naming policy, period. on a side note, anybody who names his character to someone in real life or an object is a bit

Oh im not whining im just pointing out the fact that the enforcement of the policy is all over the place ive seen way more offensive names in CoV and CoH.

I chose the name not because im attempting to emulate a horrible person but because it stands out and is unique.

BTW 1 of the chest designs you can have on your villian IS a Soviet style Hammer and Sickle.As ive stated before i GLADLY would have changed it to another name if i had been asked.

Let me clear this up:

1.I never read the EULA as im sure most players havent.But having said that if it is policy it is policy.

2.I was not by any means attempting to be offensive to anyone who may be playing CoV and who may have lived through that time in world history.

3.NCSOFT has the right to make the rules as it is their game not mine.I just didnt like being suspended for 72 hours with no previous infractions.

4.Stalin was a horrible person for the things he did.I never said otherwise.

I do find it ironic though that the people who are most offended by the name "Stalin's HAMMER"(copeland) are the same one's who would want harm to come to me in the same fashion that tens of millions suffered.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

I doubt very much whether Stalin considered all those he sent to the mines his "own people".

A harsh leader for harsh times. As bad as he was, he was a lot nicer than the other alternatives at the time.

Also our greatest Ally.

Do we hold up Teddy Roosevelts name as a symbol of hate?

Or Henry VIII?

Or Pope Urban II?

Has anyone thought to remove the faces of all the genocidal presidents from Mount Rushmore?

Stalin is singled out for demonisation, because he is the enemy of the west in the Cold War, not for his actual deeds, which are no worse than the deeds of our own national leaders and heroes in our histories. There is too much propaganda involved.

(That said, I don't see any Russians leaping to defend his good name either).

Ultimately I don't believe the use of Stalin's name to be something that would provoke strife within the game. It's clear from this thread that for a couple of people it's very mention is enough to provoke hate, so perhaps they were right, but I think the same kind of people would take offense at whatever name you chose, just for the excuse to be self righteous. 

Petty very petty.

My own dealings with NCsoft support on entirely unrelated matters have also been highly unsatisfactory. I claimed my subscription money back off my credit card company.

No service, no money. They have their Eula, I have mine.

• GresloreGreslore Member Posts: 243

A toon named after Stalin?  I admit, I am quite glad that NCSOFT said no.  That being said, I also think NCSOFT handled it quite fairly for you.  They are explaining their policy, and are giving you the chance to change the name, and even are willing to change it to something similar.  Granted, their response could of been quicker.

Why you would want to name it after someone like that is beyond me however.  Sorry to say, I'd have to put a name like that on the ignore list, as it makes me think of things I do not wish to think of while playing a game.

Given: "If you know anything about that time in history Stalin without
    prejudice killed tens of millions of his own people.This was to support
    the soviet industrial state.He didnt setup "gas chambers" or the like
    he simply worked his own people to death."  I urge you to look up "Forced Famine" and "Collectivization".  Talk to a ukrainian who knows about this first hand.  Much more happend than was written about.  Dont forget, Stalin also controlled (tried) information flow. 

I have memories of my father just sitting at the kitchen table and staring.  I would come up to him and ask "Whatcha doing?"  He would always say "just remembering".  I'd ask him about what - and he would always tell me "You are too young".  

But, back on topic, I think NCSOFT handled it fairly.  Though it sucks they were a bit slow in responding.

"...and with that cryptic comment, I'm off to bed!"

Originally posted by baff
    I doubt very much whether Stalin considered all those he sent to the mines his "own people".
    A harsh leader for harsh times. As bad as he was, he was a lot nicer than the other alternatives at the time.
    Also our greatest Ally. Do we hold up Teddy Roosevelts name as a symbol of hate?
    Or Henry VIII?
    Or Pope Urban II?
    Has anyone thought to remove the faces of all the genocidal presidents from Mount Rushmore?
    Stalin is singled out for demonisation, because he is the enemy of the west in the Cold War, not for his actual deeds, which are no worse than the deeds of our own national leaders and heroes in our histories. There is too much propaganda involved.
    (That said, I don't see any Russians leaping to defend his good name either).Ultimately I don't believe the use of Stalin's name to be something that would provoke strife within the game. It's clear from this thread that for a couple of people it's very mention is enough to provoke hate, so perhaps they were right, but I think the same kind of people would take offense at whatever name you chose, just for the excuse to be self righteous. 
    Petty very petty.
    My own dealings with NCsoft support on entirely unrelated matters have also been highly unsatisfactory. I claimed my subscription money back off my credit card company.

Is any of this relevant? "As bad as he was, he was a lot nicer than the other alternatives at the time". Such as? I think what you need is a history lesson. No service, no money. They have their Eula, I have mine. what your eula is, is of little consequence as is the op's you sign it you abide by it, simple.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Also our greatest Ally. Do we hold up Teddy Roosevelts name as a symbol of hate?
    Or Henry VIII?
    Or Pope Urban II?
    (That said, I don't see any Russians leaping to defend his good name either).Ultimately I don't believe the use of Stalin's name to be something that would provoke strife within the game. It's clear from this thread that for a couple of people it's very mention is enough to provoke hate, so perhaps they were right, but I think the same kind of people would take offense at whatever name you chose, just for the excuse to be self righteous. 
    Petty very petty.

True the USA itself is built on genocide. It's hard to find a country that doesnt have some history of genocide especially in our hemisphere. I think a good rule of thumb on mmo names is don't use reality as your guide. Stick to what fits in the game and don't pick anything as f*cking stupid as stalin or hitler. The fact that someone thought it was a good idea speaks of a low IQ.

Originally posted by Greslore
    A toon named after Stalin?  I admit, I am quite glad that NCSOFT said no.  That being said, I also think NCSOFT handled it quite fairly for you.  They are explaining their policy, and are giving you the chance to change the name, and even are willing to change it to something similar.  Granted, their response could of been quicker.

Why you would want to name it after someone like that is beyond me however.  Sorry to say, I'd have to put a name like that on the ignore list, as it makes me think of things I do not wish to think of while playing a game.

Given: "If you know anything about that time in history Stalin without prejudice killed tens of millions of his own people.This was to support the soviet industrial state.He didnt setup "gas chambers" or the like he simply worked his own people to death."  I urge you to look up "Forced Famine" and "Collectivization".  Talk to a ukrainian who knows about this first hand.  Much more happend than was written about.  Dont forget, Stalin also controlled (tried) information flow. 

I have memories of my father just sitting at the kitchen table and staring.  I would come up to him and ask "Whatcha doing?"  He would always say "just remembering".  I'd ask him about what - and he would always tell me "You are too young".  

But, back on topic, I think NCSOFT handled it fairly.  Though it sucks they were a bit slow in responding.

Stalin wasn't Ukrainian.

The fascist Ukrainians did the same things to the other Ukrainians, only worse, The U.S. sponsored a Fascist uprising in the Ukraine against Stalin which he put down. Stalinist Labour camps were very nice places compared to fascist death camps. It wasn't a very nice period of history, none of those places were nice. The Ukranians that Stalin fought were the same Ukrainians that ran Jewish concentration camps for the Germans during the Nazi era. The Ukraine is still politcially and socially divided along the same lines.

What the Russians did to the Ukrainians is extremely comparable with what the Ukrainians did to the Russians when the shoe was on the other foot and they were fighting with Germany. The Russians had their revenge. We all did.

whoopsy double post

Is any of this relevant? "As bad as he was, he was a lot nicer than the other alternatives at the time". Such as? I think what you need is a history lesson. No service, no money. They have their Eula, I have mine. what your eula is, is of little consequence as is the op's you sign it you abide by it, simple.

Such as Hitler.

Such as the Ukrainian Nazi's he sent to the mines. (among others perhaps less deserving).

You haven't taken a history class, you have taken elementry propaganda only.

It's relevant because the reason most here are giving for taking offense to the name Stalin, is his historical behaviour. A subject which many westerners are laughably ill-informed. Tolerance is born out of education.

As for the Eula, the difference between mine and theirs is that mine has actual basis in law. When they take my money, they agree to my contract. It's called Tort Law or The Bill Of Sale. They must provide the service or product sold to me. The acceptance of my money is a legally binding act.

A Eula on the otherhand has absolutley zero legal basis. Gamers Boogieman.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

A friend of mine had his named changed from 'Captain Herpes'.

He just didn't get it either.

Such as Hitler.
    Such as the Ukrainian Nazi's he sent to the mines. (among others perhaps less deserving).
    You haven't taken a history class, you have taken elementry propaganda only.
    It's relevant because the reason most here are giving for taking offense to the name Stalin, is his historical behaviour. A subject which many westerners are laughably ill-informed. Tolerance is born out of education.

As for the Eula, the difference between mine and theirs is that mine has actual basis in law. When they take my money, they agree to my contract. It's called Tort Law or The Bill Of Sale. They must provide the service or product sold to me. The acceptance of my money is a legally binding act.
    A Eula on the otherhand has absolutley zero legal basis. Gamers Boogieman.

I could spend all day remonstrating with you, but i choose not to as it would be a waste of my time.We all know history and know one said Stalin was the only participant that is besides the point, let me guess your a student? you are an affliction and i would love for you to witness stalin's rule first hand, do you recollect the scene in Good Will Hunting when Matt Damon confronts the person at the bar? that my juvenile friend is you, You are what is better known as a clown.

• GresloreGreslore Member Posts: 243

Stalin wasn't Ukrainian.

The fascist Ukrainians did the same things to the other Ukrainians, only worse, The U.S. sponsored a Fascist uprising in the Ukraine against Stalin which he put down. Stalinist Labour camps were very nice places compared to fascist death camps. It wasn't a very nice period of history, none of those places were nice. The Ukranians that Stalin fought were the same Ukrainians that ran Jewish concentration camps for the Germans during the Nazi era. The Ukraine is still politcially and socially divided along the same lines.

What the Russians did to the Ukrainians is extremely comparable with what the Ukrainians did to the Russians when the shoe was on the other foot and they were fighting with Germany. The Russians had their revenge. We all did.

Nods -  Stalin was definitely not Ukrainian.  And the state of affairs at that time was like you said, not a very nice period of history to say the least.  In fact it was horrible, nightmarish.  Alot of people lost all they had, families, homes, land, etc.  Turmoil caused more turmoil caused more chaos caused more confusion caused more death.  Enemies, allies, all became skewed.  The most identifiable was that of your own family.  Were they saife?  Your wife, son, daughter, were they going to live through this? 

To the OP - I think this is the very reason that NCSOFT treated your case as they did.  Your name would create much controversy, not really pertaining to playing a game.  Besides, would you really want some random person /tell you try to get you into a political discussion because of your name - while you are in the middle of a huge Longbow group that your robots just pulled?

"...and with that cryptic comment, I'm off to bed!"

@ Greslore thanks for taking my words as sagely and reasonably as you did given the personal nature of the material.

@Beauty, I'm not a student, I'm a teacher. Have been for the last 18 years. History isn't my field, but I'm always looking to learn. I haven't seen that film, cinema isn't a hobby of mine.  Have you seen the film about the cowboys?

It's not possible for me to witness Stailn's rule first hand, but it would have been possible for me to witness Hitlers rule first hand. Hitler had those very same slave labour camps planned for me and mine. We stopped him that time, had it not been for Stalin, he may have tried it again.

I'm not anti Stalin he was a good ally at a time when we really needed one.

Originally posted by Puoltry

Stalin was a hatemonger. You're an idiot. I hope one day you suffer as those persecuted under Stalin did.

Who's the hatemonger now?

If you're F*cking retarded enough to name your character after Stalin you deserve all the hate it provokes.

Your the one who came to this thread with hatred in your heart not me.Clearly you are thinking at an emotional level.

At no time have i defended the monster that is Stalin.You on the other hand are reflecting in your responses a quick judgment.What this is based on i do not know as i have not lead anyone to beleive that i am attempting to emulate Stalin i was merely using the name for a villian in a GAME.

Its a game copeland not real life.Take the prescribed meds already and calm down.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• Originally posted by Puoltry

The guy who lived next door to me while I was growing up had to flee to the US because he was captured during WW2 and knew Stalin was killing anyone who was captured instead of dying on the battle field, especially if they were Armenian.  He personally knew various people who were killed by Stalin's regime for one reason or another.

Look im not denying that he was a HORRIBLE human being this isnt about that.But he wasnt going around like Hitler preaching about the genetic inferiority of a a race.He may have disliked armenian's sure but they werent the ONLY Soviet citicens being killed on a huge scale.

Hitler specifically targeted Jews as well as anyone he deemed genetically defecient.

What it IS about is the naming policy NCSOFT has in place.I gladly would have changed it if i simply had been asked to in game.Soviet HAMMER would have been acceptable.

They chose to suspend my account with no previous complaints on any server concerning my characters.

I'm sorry but none of your word definitions matter.  You are playing with fire when using someone responsible for massive amounts of death and suffering especially since its still within living memory.

Whether they should have banned you or whatever I don't know or care.  But if you can't accept that this is extremely and needlessly inflammatory then you need to step back, take a deep breath, realize people's relatives died in miserable circumstances and simply bow out gracefully.  NCSoft simply can't let such a thing happen and be considered responsible. 

I'm sorry you were banned or they were heavy handed, but you do not have clean hands in this matter.

Originally posted by Puoltry

I'm sorry but none of your word definitions matter.  You are playing with fire when using someone responsible for massive amounts of death and suffering especially since its still within living memory.

Whether they should have banned you or whatever I don't know or care.  But if you can't accept that this is extremely and needlessly inflammatory then you need to step back, take a deep breath, realize people's relatives died in miserable circumstances and simply bow out gracefully.  NCSoft simply can't let such a thing happen and be considered responsible. 

I'm sorry you were banned or they were heavy handed, but you do not have clean hands in this matter.

Point taken and dont be sorry im not its just a game.Again let me state that at no time have i defended what Stalin did in world history.

BTW i do have clean hands in the matter i personally did NOT kill 10's of millions of people to say that because i used a name to define a character in a game incriminates me is just silly.

Just so you know i hear plenty of comments concerning my lifestyle all the time.Im in a mixed marriage and have a daughter from that marriage.So although i may not have witnessed personally such hatred i do hear the comments of hatred and misunderstanding on almost daily basis.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Stalin erases Poland on the World map, than re-write it over some German lands...

After that, we bodly claims that we wins the war!  Funny thing, as we declare war over the fact Poland has been attacked, it was not even existing anymore, but it was a controlled clone under a sattellite demeanor that replace it, over German lands.  We survive WW2, we didn't win it, USSR wins it.

Stalin is linked with more human deaths than ANY other human in the world.  Stalin defiles the teaching of Lenin, which was arguably even more bloodfrenzy than Stalin, this is something we will never know and can't compare due to Lenin short 'reign'.  It is easy to trash Hitler, he deserves it, but don't you think the Russians or the Chinese where any nicer...Stalin refuses to allows it soldiers to return fire for HOURS when Germany sneak attack USSR, what type of leader is that?

Originally there was a villain group called the 5th column (obviously meaning the 5th reich), they change the name so it would be less offensive.

The game staff are stretching the limit for us, yet you complain because they are not stretching it far enough?

Was Stalin a hero or was he a butcherer?  He was driven by power, but I don't claim to understand USSR well enough to say if he aggravated or lessen the situation...yet he is the human linked with the most human deaths in history and that is not questionnable, 20 millions Russians and 10 millions German died in WWII and I am not even starting to count the peoples in the countries in-between, nor all his years of peace and his actions during WW1.  Stalin was definitely less bloodthirsty than Lenin IMO, but was he better or worser?  Would other have been better or worser?  Lenin clearly states that Stalin was to be removed from any position of power...WHY?  I don't claim to understand everything, however I understand easily why you can't use his name.

See, you are free to use SOVIET, which is already a LOT.  Many games would not allow that.

Is NCsoft answering you adequately, they are trying and even if their answer is not 'enough' for you, it is justified to change the name.  I still believe they should not have suspend, just name you genericvillain437 and be done with it.

Now, if you will please stop wasting game developper from putting the focus on what they should, the game, I would be happy.  I rather have them think and figure a new cool feature than having them explaining why you can or can't use a precise name.

I am pretty sure Stalin was hoping that the Allies would attack him, so he can conquer all Europe and allie himself with Japan...I am quite happy the Allies-USSR alliance hold true and that we didn't start such a war (whowever would have start it, would have lost it, this is why neither starts it).

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren