Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone into witch lore? wiccan..

Hey...I have some frinds at school that have been talking about this celtic tradition called wicca.  Has anyone heard of it?  do any games incorporate this tradition in the character specs of various races?

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    wiccens are good witches...kind of like druids.  They are healers and draw power from nature.

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

• SquareSquare Member Posts: 254
    I know a lot about Wicca, I was very interested in Paganism a couple years back. To answer you question, I don't think any games incorporate real Pagan traditions.

-----------------------
    Screw ENIX

-----------------------
    It's hip to be square.

• mobettahmobettah Member Posts: 77

That is cool that you know about wicca.  I ran accross this ad for a new reality TV show called Mad Mad House- on the SciFi channel.  There are 5 “alts” (a wiccan, a vampire, a modern primitive, a naturist and a voodoo priestess) in a house judging ten “normal” contestants. I wonder how it will pan out?  The wiccan witch is supposed to be this beautiful woman who fully follows the celtic traditions of wicca, including oneness with nature, equality between the sexes,.. I am interested in learning more about wicca, and contrasting teh tradition with the other people in the house...including the vampire...will be totally fascinating!image

here is where I saw the ad: http://www.scifi.com/madmadhouse/

I've seen previews to that show and it's going to be lame IMO.  Two words come to midn everytime I see previews - paid actors.

• mrwigglz07mrwigglz07 Member Posts: 283
    Witch lore, what is your problem???

The anticipation of death is far worse than death itself...

[img]http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/images/banner.gif[img]

If you wait to do something until the last minute, your more efficient since it will only take 1 minute.

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

YUP

-OSC-

(Akiraosc)

Paid Actors? Doubtful.  The wiccan witch is an author named Fiona Horne...you have probably seen her before.  She is a prolific writer on Wicca and her first book, Witch: A Magikal Journey has done quite well.  In addition, she goes on TV and radio regularly, talking about Wicca.  She is pretty cool and I am looking forward to seeing her on the show....imhoimage

• qbobqbob Member Posts: 42

I guess you're talking about the Gardnerian tradition. It was founded by Gerald Gardner who believed the Craft was dying. He could not reveal his coven's information, so he developed a tradition that was a combination of ritual, ceremonial magick and French Mediterranean Witchcraft. There are still traditions such as Celtic, Welsh, Dianic, Correllian and traditional witchcraft.

-----------------------
    Screw ENIX

-----------------------
    It's hip to be square.

• zentyzenty Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by qbob

First off isnt a witch a woman who has sex with satan? Anyway wicca most likely isnt celtic, the man (i forget his name) Who "revived" it in the 50's or 60's said it was celtic and was underground for about 1500 years or so. Most likely he made it up drawing from pagan myths. Also i think the druids had human sacrifices, i wouldnt call them good if thats true. As for that witch woman, she isnt bad to look at i will tell u that.

I hope you shall never find a live turtle in your soup

LOL, your wrong about so many things it isnt funny. First of all wiccans DO NOT have sex with satan. That is called a sabbath and is seperate from wiccan beliefs. Secondly, the man your talking about made his OWN religon... dear god do you know how old wicca actually is?

Actually, Wicca is a form of neo-paganism, it really isn't that old. Traditional witchcraft, on the other hand, predates christianity.

-----------------------
    Screw ENIX

-----------------------
    It's hip to be square.

• zentyzenty Member Posts: 31
    Wicca as an offical belief in that name is about 300 years old. The beliefs that it was derived from are as you have said far older.

• SilveradoSilverado Member Posts: 41
    Well, she is a beautiful woman and a rocker and very charismatic, this Fiona Horne -- and I think I would watch it for her alone; otherwise, I think these ALT cats are pretty legit.  The vampyre follows the Long Black Veil and I know for sure that the modern primitive is also a naturist.  Its sort of like boarding in a normal San Francisco or Hollywood group house.  Its not like they're saying these folks are halflings or elves, after all.
  • MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

And this is what we call "Entertainment". I love it!

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• SamuraiEtoSamuraiEto Member Posts: 50
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned the fact that it is not even celtic. Wicca was a recent revival of witchcraft, but it started in western Europe which covers a lot more then just Ireland and the 'celts'. Celtic wicca is just a popular form of wicca here in the U.S., but far from primarily celtic in nature (no pun intended) as a religion.
    I thought Wicca was Celtic, and the 1960's revival derived from that ancient tradition.  Well, I guess we will find out on Mad Mad House....It is going to air on March 4th with all the wicca goodness....and vampness too.

I just want some contact info.... Being a Vampire... image

- Malkavian image

I think it's funny that some people want to be "vampires" (and take no offense to this malkimage).  If  there were really true vampires as portrayed in literature and movies and these people wanting to "convert"  ran into one, they would turn and run like hell!

None taken. Your using Hollywood Vampires to compare however.

Not a good approach IMO.

- Malkavian image

ahh but I said literary ones as well :)

True but Hollywood is usually based on the Novel version.... image

You need to look at the Lore. image

- Malkavian image

I thought that in Dracula it pretty much said that he was the anti-Christ, course now in days thats not very bad now is it?image

I hope you shall never find a live turtle in your soup

What has that got to do with dekron's conversation with me?

- Malkavian image