Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Mature" rating will backfire.

Comments

• Neurox1Neurox1 Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by Vanillacream
    I love mmo's, but all the blasted kids ruin it.

I do know that the rating is due to the grafic nature of the game. But I see alot of ppl think it will "save" them from all the shitty kids.

It's great that AoC has the "Mature" rating, but seriously do you think it will help? I have seen little kids smiling and laughing when they see the video of the game and all the blood and head decap.

I think its gonna really act like a magnet to AoC and it will be crawling with kids laugh and with semi-hardons ganking and choping off heads. Look at Grand Theft Auto its a good exsampel of this.

i dont think the AOC team intended to keep the kids away from the game with the rating .. it hink their only objective with this course of action is to make the game seem more attractive to gamers, and bring in larger sub numbers ....

so yea i agree any kid with a gore-wish will get a hard-on for the game and run to the store with their allowance without their mom or dad and buy it ...

• ScampyScampy Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by rmazin

One thing is has going for it is that not many kids are privy to Conan and his world. 

Before their time, yeah, indeed. Most people know the movie, not sure how well read the Sword & Sorcery books themselves are actually ... not that they're great literary works with deep, layered storylines kiddies would find very hard to digest ....

Anyway, AoC looks to become a very cool game, trying something new.
  • EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130

Well the thing is is the stupid moronic parents who let little kids play in the first place u all know u need to have a CC# and its going to cost per month. Well if they are under 18 they should not play a mmo in the first place.
    Personaly im glad they are going to add blood and violance and gore and sexuality !  Not b/c im a sick minded and a perv. b/c x box ps2 and ps3 has blood int he FPS they have all the gore "codes" u can turn on and off. so whats the diffrance in a mmo?

Its almost saying that a kid will not play a game without blood sex and other adult content. look at wow
    a Ton of kids play it but i believe their is no blood in the game.  so why do they play it why does anyone play any game? I think we al want to play something that is exciting, new and entertaing. Kids go to R rated moves
    they rent XXX movies. In this day and age you can not punish a kid without them going to school and saying my dad beat me with a belt on my ass b/c i ran my bike into the side of his new car. The teacher will call the cops and turn ya in for abuse. Let the kids play soon as u gorup with them and u hear them on voice chat boot them from group If every adult in the community dont group with them they will stop playing and go back to their lil games like wow and other FPS.

This is my take on this  i think we will have to see how everything pans out. Let the blood pour on the screen let them decap people 

Obtw i seen a in game movie on IGN  and it is gore fest but it is not what everyone thinks it does looks real it looks like the game is going to be  hard and fun at the same time
    O BTW go to this sight and down load the top left vid it shows u in game footage!!!!!
    http:\media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vids_1.html

• asupermaneasupermane Member Posts: 682
    I'm 19, and I myself am looking for the Mature audience.  But in general the problem lies in the age bracket i think [13-16],  In my time playing i have seen the more hardheaded players, in games like WoW, SWG, and GW.  But all games have there kids.  I'm hoping a large older fan base comes into AoC, and that it contains some RPG, some good PvP, and great customization

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    I don't agree , there will be way harder for kiddies since they need a CC,  Sure there will be kids, But way less then WOW or other teen rated mmos

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    o

Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Besides, AoC devs said there will be EQ style raiding for rare epics. EQ clones with bad communities for the loss.

Pre Shadowlands Anarchly Online(nothing like EQ at all) had EQ style raiding, Epic encounters do not= EQ clones. I wont talk about Post Shadowlands Anarchy Online since that was a freaking EQ clone.. EQ 1.5 as alot of us called it /spit

Those of us who actually played FUNCOM (The company making AOC) other MMORPG remebers that there ingame support team takes strict action agianst people who abuse the chat channels, grief, harrass, exploit, train...

Not all games are like WOW people please understand this.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Murtagh21Murtagh21 Member Posts: 13
    Are you sure it will be only CC no game cards? 

I wish my grass was emo...

• IAMTHEGAMEIAMTHEGAME Member Posts: 99
    that article is a month old now and was retracted by the author like 3 days later, he also apologized on the official forums himself saying he had mistranslated some of the info he got.

Originally posted by saker

I have admittadly been hopeful that the mature rating will help with the community issues that so many of these games have. I did just see a article where it was said they were actually removing alot of the mature content (including the decapitations/nudity), seriously hope they don't go dumbing it down to appeal to the kiddies, etc. This is supposed to be the conan world, its a dark/mature/bloody world, please don't make it WoW like

CC's only.

Originally posted by Murtagh21

• imortal986imortal986 Member Posts: 29

WoW can take all the kiddies... and the rest can play AoC....

God please let there be a sense of maturity in this game... all I want to do is enjoy the decapitation and nudity in peace without little kids giggling over seeing gore for the first time...

Truth be told... I just want a fun game with an open community, not one that will harrass you or follow you are.  Yes I hate it when you get the perfect group together and someone says, "dang I gotta go, my mom is calling me."  Maybe there should just be a separate server that says "Little noobs here".

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

I do know that the rating is due to the grafic nature of the game. But I see alot of ppl think it will "save" them from all the shitty kids.

It's great that AoC has the "Mature" rating, but seriously do you think it will help? I have seen little kids smiling and laughing when they see the video of the game and all the blood and head decap.

I think its gonna really act like a magnet to AoC and it will be crawling with kids laugh and with semi-hardons ganking and choping off heads. Look at Grand Theft Auto its a good exsampel of this.

Personally, I don't have the energy to worry about what might be.  I have been waiting on this game and as long as I have fun, that is what I will measure this game by.
  • IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876
    I would love it if kids got their own version of every MMORPG, where they play child characters and go about growing up... But, not in a sole peaceful fashion.

They should be killable, rapeable and lootable.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2

• BoozekBoozek Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by IAMTHEGAME
    CC's only.

Ummmm doubtfull. I've played Anarchy online for a few years, and Funcom is hooked up with paybycash.com

it would be a very stupid move on their part not to continue this with Conan, and one I dont see happening.

As for kids in games, it really depends on the kid. If the game is full of ganking grievers Funcom wont put it with it for long. Their customer service is exceptional.

I'm not a big Conan fan to begin with, but if it involves funcom the level advancement and innovative gameplay will be worth trying. Not to mention that FC is a company that actually takes the opinions of it's playerbase into consideration instead of forcing you into believing that there is only one mold and you have to comply to it.

Originally posted by Boozek

Originally posted by IAMTHEGAME
    CC's only.

Ummmm doubtfull. I've played Anarchy online for a few years, and Funcom is hooked up with paybycash.com

it would be a very stupid move on their part not to continue this with Conan, and one I dont see happening.

As for kids in games, it really depends on the kid. If the game is full of ganking grievers Funcom wont put it with it for long. Their customer service is exceptional.

I'm not a big Conan fan to begin with, but if it involves funcom the level advancement and innovative gameplay will be worth trying. Not to mention that FC is a company that actually takes the opinions of it's playerbase into consideration instead of forcing you into believing that there is only one mold and you have to comply to it.

Um, it has been posted on official forums already, CC's only.  This im sure is to do to the M Rating, which I btw completely agree with...:P'

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Kids are not the problem. A-holes are the problem both young and old. Trust me if you ever meet the vast waves of elitist ex-EQ1 adult jerks as I have you'd understand. I am not saying that there are not annoying little brats playing MMORPG's but the fact remains this is mainly a adult dominated market.

In the end though who do you have to blame for kids playing M rated games when they shouldn't ? PARENTS !  Yet AoC's devs should not be to blame for anything little brats and their guttless parents allow them to do online. Now I think if AoC needs to go for M rating to create a world in the line with the comics and books so be it. I wouldn't mind seeing a MMORPG which has quests that force you to make deep and questioning moral decisions online with your charcater. That to me would be refreshing and just so enthralling in a modern MMORPG.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• elevenbravoelevenbravo Member Posts: 2
    Mature rating wont help. They will still play it. I remeber when I was
    a "kid" playing leisure suit larry. To play on the mature setting you
    had to answer question that adult would know. It wasnt hard to find out
    the answers.

Here in Canada you can get a debit Mastercard for a one time $11.00 fee then place whatever amount you wish on it to a maximum of $2500.00 Canadian. The requirements..having $11.00 and being over 16 years of age, or having a parent or guardian sign for you if you are below the age of 16. these cards work  like any other credit card going and I have used mine in the past to pay for my Anarchy online subscription (FUNCOM). You can top it off whenever you feel like it by either manually putting more cash on it at the bank.

If requiring a credit card is a way of enforcing the mature rating, well Canada has a loophole.

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50
    Hi everyone... Im 15 years old, and have for a while done nothing but waiting for this game to be released. Now im getting more and more doubtful for every day. Almost every grown up seems to so afraid of ppl under 18 years. Do you guys think that on your 18 birthday, you automaticly stops with ninja-looting and all that stuff? However, iv´e never ninja-looted anything and im not that kind of guy who enjoys to upset other ppl with name-calling and writing stupid things things. Im just trying to act polite against all players, and then i still have to hear that ppl are sick of all the kids that spams and name-calls, wich makes me quite sad, couse it feels like those kids are making it harder for other young and polite players to get accepted by the older players. So im just wondering, if i decides to buy AoC, will ppl just laugh at me when i ask if i can join their group becouse im 15, or do i have the same possibilities as all the grow ups? 

(Sorry if my spelling makes you guys sick :P)
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
     Most of the kids I run into into are quite polite. Actually a good majority act more mature than adults. I believe you are right that the minority of immature kids spamming chat are to blame for the negative feedback. As far as guilds though...I would still guild with an adult guild. Only reason being, I like to game with people I have things in common with.
  • spungerspunger Member Posts: 42

The only kids that really bother me are the racist ones
    I'll team with anyone that doesnt get me keeled ;)
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I plan on making it a personal goal to hunt down and erradicate anyone that's playing this game and is known to be under the age of 17 (allowed age to play this game).

I'm fed up with companies catering to the younger ones, despite it being we adults that are paying the bills.  Give us one area where we don't have some greifing retard whining about how his girlfriend just dumped him and how much math class sucks.  Even worse is the fact that he's shouting this out at the top of his lungs, as if the rest of the zone cared.

Yeah, I'm being harsh and crass, but I'm just fed up with these ingame losers who ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Sure I can't stop him/her from logging in, but I can make it as painful an experience as possible.  This goes for the A**holes too!

• WintermistWintermist Member Posts: 11

The rating is a guideline for who the game is designed for. It's up to parents to keep track of what their kids do online, I do know that's a problem however seeing as kids generally know more about computers than their parents. In time this will probably fix itself with our younger generation growing into parents etcetera.

I for one will be glad to have a Mature rated game as we might atleast get a smaller portion of kids in there. Every little bit helps.

• Shadow4482Shadow4482 Member Posts: 230
    I wish you guys would give some of us kids some credit. I agree most of us are immature assholes who spam noob (especially in WoW, I just quit) but not all of us do that, there are some mature kids who like to play MMO's ... sucks to be catagorized in such a group when you spend most of your time ingame helping people and giving advice to new players. Not all of us are greedy attension hungry bastards. I have played MMO's for a long time and it gets annoying , hell I was playing EQ when I was 8 years old.
  • DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883
    All I can say Shadow is that if you are as mature as you say and have a way to pay for the subscription, keep your head down and don't go spouting off about your age ingame, then I can't very well object to what I don't know, correct? But I for one do not want l33t sp34k kids wanting to cyber and discuss the finer points of Chuck Norris' martial arts prowess ruining my game. Those are the ones that will be hunted down and banned. I am sorry that you have to be lumped in with the immature part of your age group but people are just tired of it, as you say you are. But if you can be as mature as you are coming off right now, maybe I'll see ya ingame and we can hunt down some Set cultist together. Just don't tell me who you are