Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Station Pass Price INCREASES

2»

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    You know what would be really underhanded?

Think of THIS possibility:

They create some classic servers.  But you HAVE to have station pass accounts to have access to them ;)

Evil?  Yes, it's SONY.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Sago

Originally posted by Obraik

I thought it was pretty much agreed that the price increase was due to Vanguard being added on?

No ... the price for the Station Pass went up weeks before Sigil jumped into bedd with the Evil Darth Smedley.

In addition, if you look on the Vanguard forum youb would see that you can subscribe to JUST Vanguard for $15 per month. No need for the Station Pass. But $OE still gets a cut of your monthly subscription fee.

Also I believe that when Vanguard becomes under $OE control that $OE will drop EQ and EQ2 as they are old and out dated. Vanguard woud be newer code with newer features. Why have 2 Fantasy MMOs?

Actually I think it was only a week before the Vanguard deal was announced, stuff was probably happening behind the scenes well before that.

You can also sub to any of the SOE games seperatley too, none of which are being increased in price ;)

I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious in the final paragraph.  I'm going to assume you're joking :)

Nope ... I am serious. Why have 2 er 3 fantasy games? Especialy when the newer fantasy game offers more.

Keeping EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard means more servers to support, more Dev time working on 3 different fantasy games, more CS support, and it goes on and on.

Now do NOT read into what I am saying .... as you usually do ..... I would not expct this to happen until AFTER Vanguard comes under total $OE control. Meaning when Brad and company leave to start their next project after Vanguard.

As we all know $OE is all about money. More stuff to support mean less cash in the $OE wallet.

I would also expect that there are only so many Fantasy gamers at $OE and I don't believe that when Vanguard comes online there will be many left playing EQ and EQ2.

SOE is EQ/EQ2, the day they shutdown those two is the day SOE closes down.

• SagoSago Member Posts: 516

I am serious. Why have 2 er 3 fantasy games? Especialy when the newer fantasy game offers more.
    Keeping EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard means more servers to support, more Dev time working on 3 different fantasy games, more CS support, and it goes on and on.
    Now do NOT read into what I am saying .... as you usually do ..... I would not expct this to happen until AFTER Vanguard comes under total $OE control. Meaning when Brad and company leave to start their next project after Vanguard.
    As we all know $OE is all about money. More stuff to support mean less cash in the $OE wallet.
    I would also expect that there are only so many Fantasy gamers at $OE and I don't believe that when Vanguard comes online there will be many left playing EQ and EQ2.

Not necessarily, I think it would all be dependant on what level the player base is at in EQ and EQ2. I been er .... was reading the forums at Vanguard and there was alot of people that is still playing EQ or EQ2 that were planing to make the switch. So if $OE is going to allow people using the Station Pass to have access to Vanguard and since it is a new game with new features, I think there could be a huge shift to the new Fantasy MMO ... Vanguard.

But this is all speculation at this point ... I cant tell what the future is no matter how hard I try.

I appologise to everyone if I kinda got off topic.

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Not necessarily, I think it would all be dependant on what level the player base is at in EQ and EQ2. I been er .... was reading the forums at Vanguard and there was alot of people that is still playing EQ or EQ2 that were planing to make the switch. So if $OE is going to allow people using the Station Pass to have access to Vanguard and since it is a new game with new features, I think there could be a huge shift to the new Fantasy MMO ... Vanguard.

But this is all speculation at this point ... I cant tell what the future is no matter how hard I try.

I appologise to everyone if I kinda got off topic.

If they're on the station pass and switch to playing mainly Vanguard it matters little to SOE, they're not losing any cash so the cost of running EQ/EQ2 is not increasing.  That's the whole idea of Station Pass :)

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Rabia

Dude, go dig through the SOE forums.  They specifically tied the price increase to value-added software including Star Wars Galaxies.

The important word here is "including". When the Station Pass first launched, it was EQ, EQ2, PlanetSide, EQA, and some crappy Station games. Since Station Pass was launched, both Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies were added to the ticket. Two major MMORPGs. Soon to be three with Vanguard. One can also expect that future SOE games (like the DC Comics one) will also be on the pass. We also get EQ2 adventure packs for free (though they aren't particularly frequent - but a new one is coming soon)

What they said was that the price was going up because we are getting (a lot) more with the subscription. Personally, I don't think $3 extra a month is too much to pay as it is already one hell of a deal. If you play even two of SOE's MMORPGs then $25 saves you $5 a month. If you play more than two, or like to dabble in a bunch of MMORPGs, there is not a better value in the industry.
  • SagoSago Member Posts: 516

I don't know what most people do. But I don't think my likes and dislikes are much different than most people. Which leads me to think that MOST people prefer to pay and play one MMO at a time. Personally I will not pay $25 per month for access to 50 games then pay for the expansions for each game. I will simply find the game that I like best and play that at $15 per month.

I also feel that someone that plays multiple MMO games is not getting the the full experience out of each game. I mean after all there is only so many hours in a day and days in a week. You surely can't play them all and be very good at any of them.

Sorta like the old saying:

Jack of all trades - Master of none. 

I guess that could be the next poll question ... How many MMOs do you play concurrently?

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Squidi

Dude, go dig through the SOE forums. They specifically tied the price increase to value-added software including Star Wars Galaxies.The important word here is "including". When the Station Pass first launched, it was EQ, EQ2, PlanetSide, EQA, and some crappy Station games. Since Station Pass was launched, both Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies were added to the ticket. Two major MMORPGs. Soon to be three with Vanguard. One can also expect that future SOE games (like the DC Comics one) will also be on the pass. We also get EQ2 adventure packs for free (though they aren't particularly frequent - but a new one is coming soon)What they said was that the price was going up because we are getting (a lot) more with the subscription. Personally, I don't think $3 extra a month is too much to pay as it is already one hell of a deal. If you play even two of SOE's MMORPGs then $25 saves you $5 a month. If you play more than two, or like to dabble in a bunch of MMORPGs, there is not a better value in the industry.

SWG & MxO could have been major mmorpg:s, right now they are small & slowly dying (MxO was never major), yes if you do play more than one SOE mmorpg it pays off but the way SOE is handling them I cant see that lasting.
    IF vanguard turns out good I might be looking at a station pass but I will be waiting to see how involved SOE gets.

Also SOE will increase the price more if people are willing to pay more. (Several of SOE:s mmorpg:s simply exist nowadays to fill out the game list, nothing else. Which ones are list fillers arent hard to figure out).

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Dude, go dig through the SOE forums.  They specifically tied the price increase to value-added software including Star Wars Galaxies.

The important word here is "including". When the Station Pass first launched, it was EQ, EQ2, PlanetSide, EQA, and some crappy Station games. Since Station Pass was launched, both Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies were added to the ticket. Two major MMORPGs. Soon to be three with Vanguard.

MOx was never a major MMORPG.  Why do you think SOE was able to purchase it inexpensively?  And why do you think they did?  Because they love MMORPGs?  Absolutely not.  SOE purchased it because it has brand recognition.  And just like going into Best Buy which carries brand name items, SOE was looking to fill the list with "Brand Name" games to reach
    that mythical Market of John Smedley.  SW is another brand.   Just like Best Buy, they are only interested in preception of brand strength as a measure of quality.   From a business perspective (and let us not forget this is a business), that is all SOE is concentrating on.

One can also expect that future SOE games (like the DC Comics one) will also be on the pass. We also get EQ2 adventure packs for free (though they aren't particularly frequent - but a new one is coming soon)

Prehaps.  But the new system they announced serveral weeks ago will likely replace the Pass.  And to start with, the DC game likely will not be on the Pass, but added as part of the end of life after directed subscriptions stop paying for the game.  Just like SW:G was put on the pass in an attempt to extend the revenue of the game and add the Brand Recognition that Station Pass didn't have outside of gaming circles.

What they said was that the price was going up because we are getting (a lot) more with the subscription. Personally, I don't think $3 extra a month is too

We are getting "a lot"?  A lot of what?  All the games on the Pass have been out for 3+ years or were aquired by SOE.   So is building a play list similar to the Music Industries "Play Catalog".  There are doing the min. amount of investing in order to maximize revenue.

much to pay as it is already one hell of a deal. If you play even two of SOE's MMORPGs then $25 saves you $5 a month. If you play more than two, or like to dabble in a bunch of MMORPGs, there is not a better value in the industry.

There is always a better value.  Once better values stop happening, then the industry is dead.

Squidi: get some real life Business and Engineering expierence.  It would really help you understand how your getting ripped off.

The important word here is "including". When the Station Pass first launched, it was EQ, EQ2, PlanetSide, EQA, and some crappy Station games. Since Station Pass was launched, both Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies were added to the ticket. Two major MMORPGs. Soon to be three with Vanguard.

MOx was never a major MMORPG.  Why do you think SOE was able to purchase it inexpensively?  And why do you think they did?  Because they love MMORPGs?  Absolutely not.  SOE purchased it because it has brand recognition.  And just like going into Best Buy which carries brand name items, SOE was looking to fill the list with "Brand Name" games to reach
    that mythical Market of John Smedley.  SW is another brand.   Just like Best Buy, they are only interested in preception of brand strength as a measure of quality.   From a business perspective (and let us not forget this is a business), that is all SOE is concentrating on.

One can also expect that future SOE games (like the DC Comics one) will also be on the pass. We also get EQ2 adventure packs for free (though they aren't particularly frequent - but a new one is coming soon)

Prehaps.  But the new system they announced serveral weeks ago will likely replace the Pass.  And to start with, the DC game likely will not be on the Pass, but added as part of the end of life after directed subscriptions stop paying for the game.  Just like SW:G was put on the pass in an attempt to extend the revenue of the game and add the Brand Recognition that Station Pass didn't have outside of gaming circles.

What they said was that the price was going up because we are getting (a lot) more with the subscription. Personally, I don't think $3 extra a month is too

We are getting "a lot"?  A lot of what?  All the games on the Pass have been out for 3+ years or were aquired by SOE.   So is building a play list similar to the Music Industries "Play Catalog".  There are doing the min. amount of investing in order to maximize revenue.

much to pay as it is already one hell of a deal. If you play even two of SOE's MMORPGs then $25 saves you $5 a month. If you play more than two, or like to dabble in a bunch of MMORPGs, there is not a better value in the industry.

There is always a better value.  Once better values stop happening, then the industry is dead.

Squidi: get some real life Business and Engineering expierence.  It would really help you understand how your getting ripped off.
  • SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Clackamas

Um, Maxtrix Online would've been a major MMORPG had it been release before the second two movies, which effectively killed the license. It had a AAA dev team and plenty of support for it. It had kind of a crappy beta, but ultimately, the failure of the movies is what killed it. SOE didn't buy it. SOE is doing a DC Comics MMORPG in 2008, which is a WB license. Part of the agreement of being able to use that license involved taking care of MxO.

Prehaps.  But the new system they announced serveral weeks ago will likely replace the Pass.

You mean the Station thing? That was a unified launcher, not a subscription plan. Two very different things.

And to start with, the DC game likely will not be on the Pass, but added as part of the end of life after directed subscriptions stop paying for the game.  Just like SW:G was put on the pass in an attempt to extend the revenue of the game and add the Brand Recognition that Station Pass didn't have outside of gaming circles.

The All Access Plan is for ALL SOE games.SWG was originally not on the pass due to issue with it being jointly owned by SOE and LucasArts. MxO was added to the pass THE SECOND it changed hands and SOE got it. Vanguard has already been announced as being on the plan at launch. The DC game, if it uses a subscription at all (SOE got some free game in the works), will be on the plan as well.

Name ONE, just ONE, other deal in the MMORPG industry where you can play three MMORPGs at a greatly reduced price, much less six or seven. Also, EQ2 has not been out for 3+ years. It was launched right before WoW.

Again, you insult my expertise while misspelling half the words in your post. Seriously dude. The first rule of flaming is that if you are going to insult someone else's intelligence, don't look like a (Edit for language) while doing it.

Originally posted by Clackamas

Again, you insult my expertise while misspelling half the words in your post. Seriously dude. The first rule of flaming is that if you are going to insult someone else's intelligence, don't look like a fucking retard while doing it.

Your flaming about my spelling is as inflated as the claim that there are 190K subs actually playing SW:G.  And there is certainly nothing insulting about suggesting you get some real world experience.

But then again, you only infer that I am insulting you.  Your the one that is taking it that way.  The other thing to remember Squidi, is that I have not once called you derogatory names.  By doing so, you certainly don't support the validity of any arguments you put forth.

And by the way, I play by my rules, not yours.