Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help choosing first class- Monk, Shadowknight, Swashie, or other! Please help :)

transcendedtranscended Member Posts: 19

I have MMO experience with WoW, GW, DAoC, and FFXI... and I feel that EQ2 is a perfect game for me to play at this point.
I guess to elaborate more on what I like to find the perfect class for me:

mid-high DPS
doesn't necessarily have to be hybrid
FUN
to play! no hitting button 1, 2, 3, repeat -- I really don't want a
repetitive class, skills and combat style are what keep me interested
offers something for the group, I want to be desired when the time does come (this is called utility?)
ability to solo if needed (PVE atleast, soloing PVP is always tough unless assassin)

I
know that the three classes in the topic title can pretty much fill
these descriptions, and I've been browsing their class forums, looking
at stickies, but I really can't decide!  I know I should try out all 3
chars on the noob island, or level to 20, etc... but can anyone offer
advice?

Note that I am playing on Nagafen, a PVP server.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Comments

• KindleKindle Member Posts: 68

Here's a good list of characters available.

You would do best to try several classes on the island and take them up to around level 11.  You'll find that any class can solo as there is a ton of solo content around.  Ranger/Assassin do great damage with bows/melee, Swashbuckler/Brigand have quick attacks with many buffs.

There really is no winning class for PvP, it really depends on player skill, degree of difficulty, level difference, gear and spell upgrades, environment. stealth, adds, etc.  There is a wide mix of classes in the top 100 for PvP.

Remember that life in PvP is much different and harder than on a PvE server.  You can only group with your same alignment.

Bottom line, play something that you enjoy and is fun.

Kindle - 68 Erudite Conjurer - Najena - Officer and Recruiter, Foundation Guild
    Server Index

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Of these three I really like the swashbuckler.  The give the pure DPS classes a run for their money and have defensive stances and taunts that can allow them to act as backup tank or offtank.  The also have a group invisibility which can come in very handy.

Monks are fighters and therefore tanking is their primary role, but there are some issues.  They are supposed to be avoidance tanks but there are buffs and debuffs that allow players and mobs to cut through avoidance like it isn’t there.  They are also a little weak in generating hate in multi-mob encounters.  Among tanks their single target DPS is surpassed only by their Bruiser cousins, and like the Bruisers they get some of the more distinctive attire and fighting styles.  While often distinctive monk specific gear tends to be less common then.

Shadowknights are a strong solo class in PvE, I’m not sure about PvP.  Like monks they are fighters and their primary role is tanking, but the hate over time nature of their taunts give them a lot of trouble I.E. even though tanking is supposed to be a primary role they ususly don’t because they can’t hold aggro.  They do have decent DPS for a tank, can heal themselves with life taps, can wear plate armor, and can feign death if they get in over their heads.  This is a potent combination for soloing.  

The FoTM class right now for PvP is actually the Fury.  While not really the mid to high DPS class you are looking for they are the highest DPS priest.  They also tend to have larger but slower recharging nukes, which means that in short fights which are quite common for a good group they tend to be overachievers, bursting out a good chunk of damage, and just when they are about to drop off the fight is over.  The result is that they often parse quite well.

As priests they also have a nice range of buffs and debuffs, and of course can heal.  Along with the quick burst DPS, the ability to heal themselves, they have group invisibility and an amazing run speed buff that can almost always get them out of trouble if the fight goes against them.  

• transcendedtranscended Member Posts: 19
    Ty very much for the help, you two.  Currently I am playing on Nagafen, and have leveled a swashbuckler up to about 6, and it's been a lot of fun!  I'll be experimenting around, and I just might have to try that Fury.  Although, I don't generally like to be one of the crowd, and it seems like Fury's are very popular... but then again, I bet swashbucklers are too :)