Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting back? Or even starting?

ElenosElenos Member UncommonPosts: 73

Here's the point, I tried EVE for 2 months, though they were separated. Thus, I trained a character for 30 days, then I stopped everything for 6 Months because I had to work, and then, I got back into it, but strangely, things didn't go well and I stopped.

So finally, it's been 8 months since I last played EVE, and basically, i'd like to know if things have changed. Last time I played, I and some newbie mates were ganked by a whole Corp at the entrance of a Complex, and we finally had to call all of the veterans of our Corp so that we could get in (with lot of BS, though we newbies only had some Cruisers...). And wasting something like a whole evening trying to just entering a complex and being so weak just made me loose my temper. I realized that even if I played like a no-life, I would never be able to challenge with the guys who started EVE 2 or 3 years ago, and so, I just wondered if there was a point starting now EVE.

I know that you might say something like, yeah, but then, after some time spent in training in PvP skills, you can only diversify, but okay fair enough, but then, you can pilot a more polyvalent ship, equipped with various turrets, E-warfare... So you can have a better ship...

Unless i think wrong and i'd be really glad. Just answer this question: can someone who starts now can match a player who started 3 years ago, in any specialization, in less than 8 month? If yes, in which spec other than mining (i guess theses skills are preferred for alt-char or alt-accounts).

Thanks for your support

Comments

  • RychekRychek Member Posts: 55


    Originally posted by Cexyre

    Here's the point, I tried EVE for 2 months, though they were separated. Thus, I trained a character for 30 days, then I stopped everything for 6 Months because I had to work, and then, I got back into it, but strangely, things didn't go well and I stopped.
    So finally, it's been 8 months since I last played EVE, and basically, i'd like to know if things have changed. Last time I played, I and some newbie mates were ganked by a whole Corp at the entrance of a Complex, and we finally had to call all of the veterans of our Corp so that we could get in (with lot of BS, though we newbies only had some Cruisers...). And wasting something like a whole evening trying to just entering a complex and being so weak just made me loose my temper. I realized that even if I played like a no-life, I would never be able to challenge with the guys who started EVE 2 or 3 years ago, and so, I just wondered if there was a point starting now EVE.
    I know that you might say something like, yeah, but then, after some time spent in training in PvP skills, you can only diversify, but okay fair enough, but then, you can pilot a more polyvalent ship, equipped with various turrets, E-warfare... So you can have a better ship...
    Unless i think wrong and i'd be really glad. Just answer this question: can someone who starts now can match a player who started 3 years ago, in any specialization, in less than 8 month? If yes, in which spec other than mining (i guess theses skills are preferred for alt-char or alt-accounts).
    Thanks for your support


    1. If you can't get into the complex, go take your buddies and go run missions, or explore/rat in 0.0, or setup a mining op, or even rat in empire if nothing else. Even find another complex. If I lost a ship going into a complex I wouldn't have wasted anymore time on that complex than it took me to get my pod back to station (and thats not long with instas)

    2. If you focus your skill points you CAN challenge the guys who have been playing eve for 3 years in less than six months.

    3. too answer your question at the end of your post Ill use an example. Say you train for nothing but inty's for the next six months. I promise that at the end of that six month period you will be damn near the equal of any vet flying an inty. Here is the trick. While there are too many skills for anyone to ever max out his character, there aren't that many skills that effect each individual ship class. Its very easy to max every skill (to atleast level 4) that effects inty's. There is a cap, a limit if you will, on the skills required to be best inty pilot.

    image

  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,040

    If the 3 year vet has put any thought into their toon, no you will never catch them. They will have sub skills and stacked skills that make it years to match what he had. That said, the guy who thought about it isn't hounding you. The guy looking for a quick thrill is. He PvP centered his toon with killing you in mind. You can either match him or you can counter him. If you shoose to match him, you may or may not catch up. It depends on how many noobs he has to feed on and if the toon he is using is a main ora suicide toon. If you choose to counter him, you will be driven off alot but you will never fall to him.

    I can survive in 0.0 sec. I can't compete. I do my thing and have the skills to evade the hard core PvPers who have '04 corp dates. It was never my goal to own though. Just do my thing.

  • RychekRychek Member Posts: 55


    Originally posted by free2play

    If the 3 year vet has put any thought into their toon, no you will never catch them. They will have sub skills and stacked skills that make it years to match what he had.



    Thats just flat out wrong. You can without a doubt catch even a 3 year vet in af's or inty's in around 8-10 months. counting everything from acceleration control to advanced weapon upgrades. Only 2 ways you would get owned in a 1v1 against a vet inty vs. inty after that. (maybe not counting taranis or ishkur since you need drone skills and weapon skills to max them out.)

    1. skill. Which is to say, you should get owned at first. Killing takes practice, and practice takes dying.
    2. implants. a full set of snake means your dirt in most situations inty vs. inty. But thats a cash matter, not a skill matter and I know people from 04 that are broke, and people from late 05 that are multimillionares. So thats not a matter of time so much as a reflection of the player as well.

    image

  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

    [quote]Originally posted by Cexyre
    Just answer this question: can someone who starts now can match a player who started 3 years ago, in any specialization, in less than 8 month? If yes, in which spec other than mining.[/quote

    Frigates, Cruisers, Interceptors, Assault Frigates, Interdictors, Covert Ops, Stealth Bombers (roughly in the order of difficutly to master) are all ships that can be trained in less than 8 months to a degree where the character skill difference to a 3 year old character will be negligible or non existent. And most of them build upon each other, so you will have several of them with little extra training. I know guys barely 8 months old, who are killing older characters (1 to 2 years) for sport. It's all a matter of tactics, and postive attitude. Actually quite a lot of the players (mainly so called carebears) with an older character hope for the yearstamp in their creation date to frighten off younger characters, although they have no skills or experince in pvp to back up their age.

    Hope to see you in game soon :)

    ------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

    Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

  • KnightblastKnightblast Member Posts: 1,798
    I realized that even if I played like a no-life, I would never be
    able to challenge with the guys who started EVE 2 or 3 years ago, and
    so, I just wondered if there was a point starting now EVE.

    I know that you might say something like, yeah, but then, after some
    time spent in training in PvP skills, you can only diversify, but okay
    fair enough, but then, you can pilot a more polyvalent ship, equipped
    with various turrets, E-warfare... So you can have a better ship...

    Well, you will NEVER catch up in terms of total numbers of skill points, that is true.  The thing to remember, however, is that in any given ship, only a small % of those skillpoints are being put to use, which means that if you focus training on some key areas (pick one or two and focus on those), you can train those up to be competitive with a high SP player in around 6 months.  Generally to do that you would want to (1) pick one race's ships and focus on those, (2) focus on the type of turret or missile that is the focus of the main ships of that race and (3) get your "general" skills to a passable level (mostly level 4) like elect warfare skills, engineering/cap skills, propulsion/nav skills, appropriate shield or armour tanking skills, etc.  All of that can be done in the space of 4-6 months, and you will find yourself pretty well sorted with one race's ships for everything smaller than a Battleship. 

    Sure, the 40m SP player can fly all the race's ships, but you don't have to in order to compete with him. 



  • JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419


    Originally posted by Cexyre

    Last time I played, I and some newbie mates were ganked by a whole Corp at the entrance of a Complex, and we finally had to call all of the veterans of our Corp so that we could get in (with lot of BS, though we newbies only had some Cruisers...). And wasting something like a whole evening trying to just entering a complex and being so weak just made me loose my temper.


    A waste? That was the fun part.  

  • SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

    The funny thing is, the group camping you was probably not 3 years old.

    - Yes, the way Eve has skill training set up makes it impossible to catch somebody in skill points, but that doesn't make it an impossible fight.

    My corp just got out of a war this weekend.  We're not the biggest corp in the game by any means, but we were partnered with a bunch of other corps... bigger corps.  We were also fighting several PvP based corps.  That said, my corp never suffered a loss.  We were severly out numbered and out gunned, but we never lost a single ship.  People we were fighting with, however, lost quite a few (thus, they ended the war... not us).  There are a few people in our corp with 20+ million skill points, but, for the most part, everybody only has 16 mill and down.  That makes us trained noobs, basically, BUT nobody in my corp is a fool.  We were never baited, we stayed together, we corrected each others' setups, we balanced each others' setups as well.  We  used our previous gaming skills (and common sense) to keep us alive.  We never lost a ship, but we made our enemies lose quite a few.  We made our strictly PvP, pirating, been around longer enemies lose ships... and we never lost a single one.  Our alliance wasn't as good as we'd hoped though, so we wound up losing the war.  Live and learn though... everything is a learning experience.

    We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    image
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550
    SP is not a major factor in PvP success. Competent, experienced leadership is.

    Take a bunch of people with 1m SP and a competent leader against a bunch of people with 30m SP and poor leadership, and the low-SP players will win every time.


  • skawnskawn Member Posts: 30

    Relatively few people have played solidly since release - most have taken substantial breaks at some point so the gaps may not be as big as you think in many case.

  • ElenosElenos Member UncommonPosts: 73

    I guess I'll give it another try then.

    I just downloaded the client, and there is the Bloodline patch which seems quite nice, I love the new races. Now, I'll have to take the 1st month to raise the learning attributes, and then, the real game will begin!

    Thanks to all, hope to see you soon in game.

  • SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384


    Originally posted by Cexyre

    I guess I'll give it another try then.
    I just downloaded the client, and there is the Bloodline patch which seems quite nice, I love the new races. Now, I'll have to take the 1st month to raise the learning attributes, and then, the real game will begin!
    Thanks to all, hope to see you soon in game.


    Train the learning skills to level 3 and then back off of them for a while!!  Going any farther on them at the beginning is a very redundant thing to do.  Train into what ship you want to fly, what guns you want to use, and what gear you want to use first!  If you can't decide what to use, then train your learning skills while you're researching your setup.

    We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    image
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
Sign In or Register to comment.