Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im thinkin bout gettin galaxies

WeenusWeenus Member Posts: 42

I currently play FFxi and im fed up with it and im very tempted to get galaxies. Im a moderate star wars fan but nothin hardcore, is the game worth gettin?

I used to play Eq and loved it, im not sure if galaxies is an eq clone in star wars form kuz if it is that would be awsome.

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    Stick with Final Fantasy XI.  I've heard that SWG isn't anything special and it's just a "pretty screensaver", plus the game's about to get nerfed yet again.

What will he do next?
  • WeenusWeenus Member Posts: 42
    what do u mean nerfed??

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    Read on this site...  I've read the Jedi system is getting redone because it's "to hard" for people to get... nerfed, the DEVs are going to redo some of the game...  which usually makes it worse...

What will he do next?
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Weenus

I currently play FFxi and im fed up with it and im very tempted to get galaxies. Im a moderate star wars fan but nothin hardcore, is the game worth gettin?
    I used to play Eq and loved it, im not sure if galaxies is an eq clone in star wars form kuz if it is that would be awsome.

If you are upset with FFXI then you're gonna get pissed with SWG.

I've played both and I stopped playing both.  If you must get one of the two evils, stick with FFXI.

FFXI may have its in-game problems but man, its like love-making compared to Star Wars Galaxies. I beg you to at least take a look at the SWG reviews under the GameList--> Star Wars Galaxies--> Rating.  It will save you a lot of heartache plus 50 bucks.

I would only recommend SWG to people I hate....its not a very good game at all.  It would take me 4 pages to list why I hate it (in terms of all the things wrong with SWG).  Just check out the reviews.  Save your money

If you do buy SWG, then give it two months....then don't say we didnt warn you ^_^,......any game is fun for a month, but it's true colors come out around the second month mark

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232

I agree with En1gma, but the main thing is what is fun for you. As far as FFXI is concerned, I don't know...never played it. But SWG was a waste of my money. I should've just burned the $110 I wasted on it. Read through the reviews on the net, and especially the past player reviews. Good info there.

/deepbow

MAKANE
    (Horizons: Malakye Revan - Conjurer on Bounty)
    Lords of Stonekeep

• Originally posted by Weenus

If you are anywhere of a SW fan then you WILL like SWG. It was originally intended first for SW fans. The game is HUGE! There are many, many, different planets, cities, Player Associations (aka Player Guilds), and soooo much more.

SWG is definatly NOT an EQ clone. SWG is nothing like EQ. EQ is a Level Based game. And a Phat L00t based game. In EQ there is no player economy. There's nothing a newbie has that a vet would ever want to buy. Crafting is a joke - by the time one makes something, they can get better from a NPC monster drop. The Bazaar... all players need to come to 1 spot, and stay loged in, in order to buy and sell?!?

In SWG the game is Skill Based. It is also SCS (Single Character Server). So your reputation follows you everywhere. The player economy exists. A newbie can make money, and have things for sale that any vet would and will want to buy. Player Crafted items are the best items in the game. The market/bazaar in SWG is the most advanced out of any MMORPG ever released. You do NOT have to be loged in, or stay at the market in order to buy and sell items. You can sell items while you log off, or go off adventureing.

Last, 95% of all the posters at this site MMORPG.com are mostly whiners and complainers who have either:

1. Never played SWG ever! (I've called them out with simple questions, like how many servers does SWG have and they've incorrectly answered big time. Heheh LOLOL.)

2. Never played SWG after Beta.

3. Have not played SWG within the last month. SWG is nothing like it was in Beta. And as of December 2003, it has radically changed from what it was like 2+ months before.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

SWG has a LOT of potential.

The graphics are extraordinary, better than any other game I have ever seen. I liked the AO environment better, only in that it was totally original, and the music was very well done.

But let's face it...SWG is STAR WARS!

It has a tremendous number of problems with it. Once you get past the graphics, the gameplay is unbalanced, no professions are close to being finished, and the lag and associated server instabilities are getting worse over time.

The development team is leading the game into some serious problems, which will become obvious shortly, and the needs of the community are not being heard, let alone addressed.

Gameplay implementation is the big problem. With a little luck (okay, with a regular miracle) all these things will be corrected once you get past the effects of the graphics-drug, and you will enjoy the game as a citizen of the Star Wars Universe as it was originally intended.

In my case, I recently cancelled my account for some very good reasons, some of which are listed above. However, these may not effect you personally. Feel free to enjoy yourself :)

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by Wepps

SWG has a LOT of potential.
    The graphics are extraordinary, better than any other game I have ever seen. I liked the AO environment better, only in that it was totally original, and the music was very well done.
    But let's face it...SWG is STAR WARS!
    It has a tremendous number of problems with it. Once you get past the graphics, the gameplay is unbalanced, no professions are close to being finished, and the lag and associated server instabilities are getting worse over time.
    The development team is leading the game into some serious problems, which will become obvious shortly, and the needs of the community are not being heard, let alone addressed.
    Gameplay implementation is the big problem. With a little luck (okay, with a regular miracle) all these things will be corrected once you get past the effects of the graphics-drug, and you will enjoy the game as a citizen of the Star Wars Universe as it was originally intended.
    In my case, I recently cancelled my account for some very good reasons, some of which are listed above. However, these may not effect you personally. Feel free to enjoy yourself :)

/agree Wepps
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Necro.

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196
    the answer's no..not until we get classic servers..or emu 

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Wow, more than 2 years old...Guess someone didn't look at the date on the thread even though they probably went back a couple hundred pages.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by anaic
    /agree Wepps

So...Do you get a reacharound for every Wepps post you necro, or what? That guy is/was a toolbox, a shill, and a blatant liar.

Love, Sodapop

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA

/agree Wepps

So...Do you get a reacharound for every Wepps post you necro, or what? That guy is/was a toolbox, a shill, and a blatant liar.

I heard he is a kid toucher and a Burger King fry cook too.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Originally posted by Reachwind

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA

/agree Wepps

I heard he is a kid toucher and a Burger King fry cook too.

That is true! He is also half-Leprechaun, so he can never be trusted around shiny objects.

Love, Sodapop

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    SWG needs LESS cowbell!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Knock it off with the wepps necros. These post from him got old 2 years ago.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293
    upto you get it if you want.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Damn.. this post didn't age well, did it?

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by Shayde

The op has already made up there mind (they are curious about the game) we vets aint going to change this so why did they ask ?

Topic was dead before post button was pressed.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by tjvoodoo

Originally posted by Shayde

Topic was dead before post button was pressed.

No...this topic died 2 years ago.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by Weenus

Stick with FFxi -- Galaxies is very pale in comparison.
  • WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Last, 95% of all the posters at this site MMORPG.com are mostly whiners and complainers who have either:

1. Never played SWG ever! (I've called them out with simple questions, like how many servers does SWG have and they've incorrectly answered big time. Heheh LOLOL.)

lol, I played this game for many moons and have no clue how many servers it has!  It never occured to me to count them or give it any thought.  I can tell you it had one named Lowca and can fire off a few Guild names, but how many servers?  uh...I dunno?  What WAS I playing all that time?

Ask people about thier professions if you wanna know if they played the game, or what weapon was thier favorite, not how many servers!

GOON - FEDS - DJK - WOK - SUSHI - BOTA all the guild names i can think of for now.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

ROFL 35 votes and 82% said no lol...

Man... that is saying alot lol.

(Do this man to be fair, read up on the game) NOT HERE.. we are a bit tainted here lol.

Read the press reviews

Gaming reviews

Investment reports

Awards won and the input from the President of SOE himself..

THIS WAY you might be able to make a better choice then see our text... I rather you see it from the people themselves.

(Whatever you do, avoid the real SWG boards too, I will even warn you on that as well) ---

If you are looking for a successful promising game with alot of good history then you may need to look elsewhere, I think you can see that with your own eyes fast.