Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

scout and exploration question

sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

I know the explorer stuff is in the works and that's the kind of stuff I love,
anyways I was wondering what would be good skills for like a scout don't want
to be much of a combatant more like I scout ahead to find the enemy and gather intel.

Or maybe in some cases if I joined a group of pirate hunters or pirates I'd be a setup man, like act like I'm mining so pirates are drawn to me to attack and boom an ambush.....or something like that.

Comments

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

If you like to scout, there are 3 ship types that would be ideal for you, all of which require hefty electronics skills to operate.

The first choice would be covert ops ships, these are small tech level 2 frigates with the ability to travel and use their warp drives while cloaked (covert ops cloaking device II) as well as being able to launch scanner probes in order to locate enemy safespots in space. With these ships, you can find enemies hiding spots, warp in undetected, align yourself behind them and have your buddies warp to you at a pre-arranged distance in order to land on top of them without them knowing what the hell is going on.

The second choice is combat recon ships, which are tech level 2 cruisers, they need quite a bit more skill than their frigate counterparts but are able to equip the covert ops cloaking device II which allows you to warp while cloaked. These ships also get a bonus to cynosural field generating however, the use of both on the same ship is still bugged at the moment.

The third ship type would be interceptor class frigates. These are again, tech level 2 frigates but, they are capable of incredible speeds and their lock speeds are extremly quick in order to "tackle" an oponent. These ships are near impossible to catch when used by a skilled pilot and move so quickly that they can give quick details about enemy locations.

There are other ships like stealth bombers which allow you to cloak but, they cannot warp while cloaked, so, they serve more as a concealed menace than an actual scout. In fact, any ship in the game can have a cloak equipped to it, but, they get massive penalties to lock time just for having the cloak online and when activated, your ship's velocity is cut quite a bit.

Edit : Typo King

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Yep covert ops are what your looking for.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member Posts: 1,798
    As noted above, covert ops frigates or interceptors are your best bet.  You'll likely get to interceptors first due to skill training reqs for covert ops, but either one is great for exploration/spying.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I did most of my exploring in a vigil with a cloaking device when i first started. They warp almost instantly so nobody can lock you if you dont lag out.

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I guess the last question I have is this, my friends are all minmatar never really liked how they looked
    but the new race actually looks kindof cool, the only other race I ever liked
    was gallante any advice on which I should go?