Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play this game?

paranoidpvpparanoidpvp Member Posts: 539

Hey everyone, I have been playing GW forever and  I recently purchased the preorder for GWF. It came with a 14 day tial for L2, although I still havnt tried it, it did get me thinking about the game. I was just hoping that some of you could throw in some pros and cons and give me an idea of whether or not this game is really worth the time, as well as the monthly payment (which gw and gwf don't have)

(Edit)

Well thanks alot to everyone who replied, I started up the trial and I have been enjoying it so far. I did not expect this large of a response to this topic and I appreciate the opinion of everyone who posted!

Comments

• morinmorin Member Posts: 6

if its a free trial you have nothing to lose, give it a go.

• SantaClaws48SantaClaws48 Member Posts: 280
    It's a free trial so it sounds like a win win to me.

• jhall229jhall229 Member Posts: 239
    Give it a try if you want a greater overall challenge.  Like the posts say, there are are bots and PKer's (although I have only had one attempt on my life), but the PK'ers are just part of the game if you ask me.  As far as leveling, with the 14 day trial you will be able to get into the twenties and be able to do some raid stuff.  You get newbie buffs from lvl 8 to 25, but dont get used to them because you only get them for your first character.  One of the biggest differences between L2 and GW is that there are no real instances where you will be all alone with your group. You will almost always see other people around in your area.  Good luck and post any questions you might have.

• paranoidpvpparanoidpvp Member Posts: 539
    ok thanks guys ill probably give it a go

• JamibiJamibi Member Posts: 4
    I bought this game awhile ago, i only played it for a couple of days though for some reason i got addicted somewhere else. I loved the graphics style it was a beautiful game to play. I was recently going to go back myself, i hunted around for some info and people say it is so boring to level its just a grind and if you die you can lose up to a days work and up to 5 of your items (random) which could include the weapon you have equipped! which put me right off the game... Apparantly it was also hard to make money i can see where they're coming from but i got lucky some geezer just ran to me and i asked "whats a good way to make money?" and he just dropped 100k and ran off :O so i was pretty sorted for low levels.

Yeah you might lose a day's worth of work if you die, maybe, if you are lvl 65 or higher.  It is going to take many many months to get that high, and if you die at that point (other than PVP) you probably should have known better or were unprepared.  This game is a challenge.  Its not made so you can be a max level character in a matter of a couple months.  People are discouraged about this because they are used to games that hold your hand all the way to the highest level.  The people that do play understand this, and that is why I think some of the most serious and dedicated players play L2.

• JamibiJamibi Member Posts: 4
    That's made me want to play it myself, some of the reviews of course are against the game so tell you everything possible thats bad about it. How is the PvP i heard it was really good with like sieges and stuff.

Well there is one one one pvp and sieges.  One on one pvp is really dominated by mages and archers right now.  Hopefully that is nerfed with the upcoming C5.

As far as castle/clan sieges, every class is helpful.  Its a large, hectic, killing fest mainly.  And its fun.

I have played many other games and here are the strongpoints IMO: graphics, sound, community (get with a good clan/alliance you you will be happy), pvp (you can kill or be killed anywhere which makes the game exciting and creates intense rivalries), you can teleport from place to place(for a small fee), great chat system, a feeling of accomplishment unluck most other MMO's, you cannot tell what lvl another player is except for their armor, did I say graphics, point and click movement is really nice, YOU CAN SOLO! (except maybe healers, but its not hard to find group), skill point system works well (you can earn enough skill points to specialize in different kinds of weapons), you can have multiple characters....guess ill stop there.

Dont get me wrong, the game is not perfect.  I dislike the economy system.  I really wish there was an auction house.  On the other hand, because there isnt an AH, I have learned what items are worth, which allows me to buy low and sell high.  This is a great way to make money.

• JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Just to clarify, you CAN'T drop your EQUIPPED weapon, unless you are red with over 5 pks. This means you killed a lot of people and didn't do the quest to reduce your PK count. So it would be due to shear lazyness of not doing the quest and being a totally bully in order to drop ur equipped weapon...but otherwise it won't happen. If you were white and ur equipped weapon drops then you petition a GM because that is bug, you will get the weapon back.

The grind is long, and can be boring. At first it will feel like you are trying to play catchup with the rest of the server until you hit lvl 50+ and you won't feel very powerful until you hit lvl 60+. The grind is quite basic, kill 5000 some mobs and level up and get new skills. This is simple, but because it is, it can also be quite boring. If what you want is easy pvp there are easier games out there for that, and if you want to hit lvl cap in a month or two there are other games out there like that too. This is a highly social game, and won't really be fun unless you get involved with it. What does this mean exactly you may ask? Well, find a bunch of friends, when you get to lvl 40+ or so join a good clan that you find the people fun. It is quite simple.

Those that don't like this game, like games that are quest driven and have no grind...or they don't like PvP. IMO these people should just not play MMOs because it seems like they are looking for other great titles like Neverwinter Nights or Oblivion or something else that isn't quite MMO. They may even do better with Guild Wars. This game is what I like to call a "raw MMO", because it is very massively multiplayer based. If you don't like large multiplayer interaction, L2 probally isn't what you are looking for.

Before someone else brings it up and bangs on this game for having farmers, bots, currency sellers, ect. Go look at ige.com and see all the MMOs that have currency. That currency was obtained through farmers, which many if not all use a bot program. WoW has bots, RFonline has bots, GW has bots, Silkroad has bots, 90% of MMOs have bots, but the only difference is...there are instances in those games that they just run over and over so you barely ever meet one, or the program just isn't so obvious. There is not any instancing in L2 except for the rift...which isn't a place you can go lvl forever, it is timed for 1 hour and costs a price to get into.

L2 artwork is the best IMO. The graphic engine may be a bit older, but it is still one of the most visually stunning MMOs on the market, in my opinon anyway.

I have played many MMOs, my first was L2 though...and I always come back to it and play it and usually quit the other games in a month or two. It is different than most games, some ppl don't like that, but I guess I like the different experience. I find it fun most of the time, esspecially since it has some of the best community I have ever known in an MMO.

Thats my semi-informational rant...

Buy this game!

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Jamibi
    I bought this game awhile ago, i only played it for a couple of days though for some reason i got addicted somewhere else. I loved the graphics style it was a beautiful game to play. I was recently going to go back myself, i hunted around for some info and people say it is so boring to level its just a grind and if you die you can lose up to a days work and up to 5 of your items (random) which could include the weapon you have equipped! which put me right off the game... Apparantly it was also hard to make money i can see where they're coming from but i got lucky some geezer just ran to me and i asked "whats a good way to make money?" and he just dropped 100k and ran off :O so i was pretty sorted for low levels.

LoL, why didn't you look at the offical forum? It has all the rules and tells you what is going to happen. Sounds like whoever told you that didn't like the game.

Everything Jukan said is pretty much on the spot. If you are a lonewolf type or ganker you will hate L2. If you are anti - social or looking for spoon fed content, again you will hate L2. The game is highly social and your success depends on your ability to interact with the community. Failure to do so make you an irrelevant no one.

The game is very hard on purpose. That is the balance of the PvP. It keeps as many as possible from reaching level cap.

If you do not go in understanding the following you are going to not like the game.

*Its open PvP, expect to get killed once in awhile

*its hard. (leveling and economy)

*you need friends and a guild to succeed / survive otherwise you are lost

If you don't except these BASIC things you are not going to like the game.

(as far as Bots/farmers go, please, like no other game has them. Go play WoW to see the real farmer pro's in action)

• nonjonronnonjonron Member Posts: 139

I like this game.  Straightforward it is.  You log on, create a character and with inside of an hour you are hacking and slashing.  Like so many coaches say:  it all comes down to fundamentals.  You can group, PvP, quest, hack and slash, join a guild, specialize in a skill branch, craft....  just about all of the fundamental MMORPG components are there.  They are well implemented in Lineage 2.

You will grind.  Not an issue for me.  I'm not one of those guys who logs on for 5 hours at a time.  No time in my life for that.  I read comments about how the game is hardcore.  I've played lots of hardcore games on limited time.  Try EQ1 in the Sullon Zek days.

Enjoy.

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650
    This games a love it or hate it.
    If you like angry asians pking you constantly.Its for you
    If you like bots in every dungeon.Its for you
    If you like unbearable south korean, die from playing starcraft grinds.Its for you
    If you like 2 class choices that brach into 2, then 4...why not more idk.Its for you
    Good things:
    Its purty
    Good community

You decide

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Amarao
    This games a love it or hate it. - true

If you like angry asians pking you constantly.Its for you - Where do you get that from??? I read after the launch a few years back there was a problem with bot protectors and such but those days are long gone. Bot protectors are not a threat anymore as the players have long since caught up with them and passed them up. Players are now the deciding factor in everything that goes on.
    If you like angry asians pking you constantly.Its for you -
    Where do you get that from??? I read after the launch a few years back there was a problem with bot protectors and such but those days are long gone. Bot protectors are not a threat anymore as the players have long since caught up with them and passed them up. Players are now the deciding factor in everything that goes on.

Bots owners and farmers pose no threat at all to the powerful guilds ingame today.

If you like bots in every dungeon.Its for you - Yes, there are bots, just like in all other MMO's. Pick me one that doesn't have them. Just take a look at I*E. WoW is where the "real" farmers hang out now.
    Yes, there are bots, just like in all other MMO's. Pick me one that doesn't have them. Just take a look at I*E. WoW is where the "real" farmers hang out now.

If you like unbearable south korean, die from playing starcraft grinds.Its for you - Huh?
    If you like unbearable south korean, die from playing starcraft grinds.Its for you - Huh?

If you like 2 class choices that brach into 2, then 4...why not more idk.Its for you and....you end up with lots of class choices......

Good things:
    Its purty
    Good community

You decide - but your critical points you are giving to dislike the game exsist in all MMO's. (except for that wierd Asian/Korean part, sounds like you have an issue with them)
    Good things:
    Its purty
    Good community

You decide - but your critical points you are giving to dislike the game exsist in all MMO's. (except for that wierd Asian/Korean part, sounds like you have an issue with them)
    Some of your points are dated, when was the last time you played?

Honestly, to say a game is bad because of grind or bots is saying all MMO's are bad cause they all have it.
  • JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by Amarao
    This games a love it or hate it.

If you like angry asians pking you constantly.Its for you Umm, no! The only asians are farmers. Asians play on their own servers, unless they are american-asian. Don't be racist! If you don't like farmers...like  I  said in my previous post, DON'T play MMOs...it is F'in simple!

If you like bots in every dungeon.Its for you The game has no instances! At least you can kill the bots here. You think it is bad, imagine if WoW had no instances, yea thats right you wouldn't be able to play.

If you like unbearable south korean, die from playing starcraft grinds.Its for you Yes there is grind. Not directly atributed again to S. Korea, sounds like you really dislike koreans and asians...maybe grow up and stop being so blindly racist. You don't have to play this game for 5 hours a day to have fun. Plus you need friends to grind with, but since you thought all players were PKer Asians, I could see why you were very lonely.

If you like 2 class choices that brach into 2, then 4...why not more idk.Its for you Umm yea, you pick fighter or mage type. Then it can go from anywhere to healer, nuker, summoner, buffer, archer, dagger, dual sword weilder, melee buffer, tank, oh god...I am not gonna freakin name all the kinds of classes in L2...dude...play the game before you rate it.

Good things:
    Its purty Yes many ppl find the graphics to their liking.
    Good community Overall the community is the best (not all PK asians) in any MMO I have played, and since the game is highly comunity orientated, well then the game is good! Simple!

You decide

Maybe you should play the game! Or maybe if you once played the game way back in C1/Prelude you should pick it up again. Don't listen to the reviews that review the game from 2 years ago.

Then again, the game isn't for everyone. Some people don't like PvP, like this guy here...or he would rather have controlled pvp. Also this guy seems to really care about quests and whatnot in his MMOs. Yes story driven quests can be fun, but L2 isn't instanced so it is hard to do. It is based more on communtiy than NPC quests...so I guess it just has to be what you are looking for. If you haven't played this game, or haven't played it since C2 I would recommend picking it up again.