Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW vs. Guild Wars

Comments

• aLeX666aLeX666 Member Posts: 153

Originally posted by Tiberiux

Hey something just occured to me.

Let's make a serious of attributes and state which is the best game in which area. PLease feel free to expand on them and add more sub-categories or super-categories.

We state which game comes out on top in each category.

Graphics: GW :
    Sound: dunno
    Quests: GW (alot funner and interactive).
    Leveling: GW
    Content: WOW

Monthly Fee: GW
    Immersive factor: WOW

World Size: WOW
    Variety of Races: WOW
    Variety of weapons: WOW
    Variety of Customization: Close, but probably WOW
    Patches/updates: GW
    Expansion Packs: GW
    PVP system: GW
    PVE system: WOW will have more hunting areas, but GW will be funner so tough call, but I'll say WOW
    Travel: GW
    Economy: GW
    Crafting: WOW
    Lag: GW
    Skills: WOW
    Magic: WOW
    Servers: GW (since wow will have shards and gw won't, gw comes out clearly on.top here)
    Inhabited persistant world: WOW

Ok, can't think of any more.
    My totals so far:
    GW = 11
    WOW = 11

Haha came out tied completly unintentionally :p
    Keep adding to my list and if you disagree with any category leader please state which and why and total your own list.
    I'm hoping we can come up with about 100 categories

There are so many things you can't judge yet ;

Content : You can't judge based on two UNFINISHED games.

Immersive Factor : Yet again, it really depend on the community built around the games. E3 GW ALPHA Demo had not much features but that wasn't the point of the demo nor will it be the state of the game at release.

Variety of Weapons : Pure speculation again. GW said items wont make you ubb3r... that doesn't mean there wont be many floating around.

Variety of Customization: Can't say yet. If you talk about APPEARANCE, maybe it's gonna be WoW... maybe not. If we decide to talk about skills custumisation, I think a lot of people will have way different skills set-up in GW. The Guild Dye recipes and Logos for GW seems promising. 

Crafting :  Both systems are different... but I'll wait to learn a bit more about GW's. The glimpse we had in the E3 demo might not be anywhere close to what is gonna be done.

Skills/Magic : I can't agree there... I've seen more than 50 skills for each classes in GW Demo and they mentionned there will be many more to come. The skills choices and set-up before entering a mission can be a real tough decision. Yet, I haven't played WoW so I can't judge their skills/magic system.

Balance : <--- You forgot this one... but yet again we can't judge on the early content... from what I've experienced in GW, most class combos were pretty much balanced as they depended alot on player skills, except for Mesmerizer (IMO).

So, if we recalculate, your scores were just pure speculation based on early content. I think GW is going to create a HUGE community simply by removing the monthly fee, shards and farming.

"I am trying to see things from your perspective but I just can't get my head that far up my @$$."

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

OMG!!!!!   Has nobody realised that this thread has produced what 10 pages now of basicaly the same post over and over again.

Everybody should give it a rest until at least 1 of the games comes out.

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    Yeah, this thread has gotten rediculously long.

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• royalsroyals Member Posts: 27
    Keep posting and wasting your timeimage!!!! I like the fact that both games are completly different yet you ppl keep trying to judge unfinished games.
  • #1gwFAN#1gwFAN Member Posts: 1

hey royals were not judging were comparing. and anyways Gw blows WOW out of the water by far . not just by graphics but by no monthly payment .....also by playing the first warcrafts i think this 1 is just going to go down in flames like the others.image

• TiberiuxTiberiux Member Posts: 90

Of course its speculation!

But based on what we know and have seen "so far"

Hehe.

Agreed with your last statement there.

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15

We'll see what happens whenever they actually play both games in RELEASE

and then we'll actually consider processing all your rediculous comparisons in our "brains"image

• iddmitriiddmitri Member UncommonPosts: 671

For me fun factor is always how many people playing the game. If Guild Wars can overweight WoW in number of players hell I'll go play Guild Wars. image

to the guy who wrote above: you forgot to put Story Line in your list it is very important in comparison of any rpgs.

∙name: EViLD0G
    ∙clan: [EXE]
    ∙playing: EQ, SIMS, AC, AC2, DAoC, FFXI, AW, RS
    ∙planning: WoW, GW

• dewthedewdewthedew Member Posts: 30
    ay dimitry i wouldnt even spend the money to buy WOW cuz its just going to be a waste because i know GW will have way more people playing it........ by far. image

bronson

Now Playing EQ,
    Waiting On GW,and EQ2

The Money u would save on monthly fees can buy u both games anyway in the end.

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• dewthedewdewthedew Member Posts: 30
    axzactly my point..image

bronson

Now Playing EQ,
    Waiting On GW,and EQ2

• ko1oko1o Member UncommonPosts: 117
    WoW doesn't have alsome graphics for a reason... the game will run on a lot more computers then GW which means there will be a lot more people in the game.

Ko1o

• ferilmasterferilmaster Member Posts: 177

:P poor WoW, competing against two games, If you want a real poll, post a WoW vs EQ2/GW poll in the pub at general discussion, FYI, posting a WoW vs. GW poll in GW forums is certainly going to be biased. So I didn't vote, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, and EQ2 will be great games, all have great graphics. I might buy both, I'd go with WoW, simply because:

A.) World of Warcraft isn't trying to put all their time into completely realistic graphics, they're trying to refine the bad standards of today's mmorpg's by smoothing out the pvp and pve system.

B.) As with all blizzard games, it will most likely be delayed to help eliminate the most or all glitches BEFORE release, instead of rushing their game through beta slapping it onto the shelves and saying done then slowly fix the bugs later, as many mmorpg's nowadays do.

C.) Their death system is unique by respawning as a ghost at a graveyard when you die, then doing a "corpes run" where you run back to your body and respawn there(you can chose to ressurect within a safe distance away from the monster mob that killed you.

D.) A small reason is, on the website, they don't say they're great, they give links to fansites that you know are not from people that are paid to advertise the game.

E.) They have nine classes that are totally different from eachother.

F.) There are 8 different races, each of which has in in-depth story of events that describes their past and current sitiuationmount.

G.) WoW has many quests that prevent constant level grinding and add in-depth  stories, these quests actually have purpose.

H.) Each race has it's own unique mount, mounts are status symbols showing that you have some power ingame (money, level, etc...) I'll list all the mounts:  (1)Humans have horses, (2)Night Elves have night sabers(tigers), (3)dwarves have rams, (4)gnomes have mechanostriders(a duckbilled dinosaur/machine mix, see the officail website for a screenshot) (5)Orc have wolve mounts, (6)Tauren have the plainsrunning ability instead of a mount(a speed boost ability, (7)Undead have nightmare horses/aka undead steed, (8)Trolls have raptors(velocerapter like mount) Trolls in my oppinion have the coolest

I'm sure I could come up with more reasons, but I'm just saying the reasons I'll play WoW, I'm not bashing GW, both will be great games, I just prefer World of Warcraft Oh, and great typing ko1o image

EDIT: The amount of people playing an mmorpg doesn't matter, what does matter is how the community acts                                                                                                                            

------------------
    Alliance Chars:
    ~Drakthol, Destromath PVP server
    Level 52 Dwarf Hunter

Horde Chars:
    ~Foorinore, Archimonde PVP server
    Level 11 troll priest

Drakthol

• JohnnyVJohnnyV Member Posts: 124

cant we all just get along....(referring to the attacks of some people to one another throughout this post)...... i dont know why people insist on trying to say which game is gonna come out on top when both games are months and months from being released. I mean look at the past for Video Games in general. When Playstation first came out who would have thought that it would cut such a big wound into the side of nintendo. But then again look at Sega Saturn, which had alot of hype if i remember correctly and was a total flop, so im tryin to make the simple statement that history repeats itself.... Is Guild Wars gonna be the Playstation or the Sega Saturn????????????????????????? Only time can tell, but i think this topic is useless, but most MMORPGers out there havent had a great MMORPG for awhile so we are gettin bored..lol...playin L2 right now and enjoyin it until GW comes out which will come out first, then ill get WoW when it comes out........

"Im in the Old School, Like Frank the Tank"-Ludacris

• CrowenCrowen Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by ferilmaster

A.) World of Warcraft isn't trying to put all their time into completely realistic graphics, they're trying to refine the bad standards of today's mmorpg's by smoothing out the pvp and pve system.

Accually I think WoW graphics are great and show real art.. Thats right I think WoW graphics are better than GW's because its real art. GW has good graphics but its not really art.

B.) As with all blizzard games, it will most likely be delayed to help eliminate the most or all glitches BEFORE release, instead of rushing their game through beta slapping it onto the shelves and saying done then slowly fix the bugs later, as many mmorpg's nowadays do.

You failed to mention that Blizzard also nerfs the crap out of all chracters in there RPG's after release.. To date they have never fixed the necro in Diablo II and they probably never will. They nerfed all Diablo II characters after release which I think is a very poor system.

C.) Their death system is unique by respawning as a ghost at a graveyard when you die, then doing a "corpes run" where you run back to your body and respawn there(you can chose to ressurect within a safe distance away from the monster mob that killed you.

Agreed however GW death just means you either get a rez or you start the quest over. No death penalty like WoW does and no travel time.

D.) A small reason is, on the website, they don't say they're great, they give links to fansites that you know are not from people that are paid to advertise the game.

Accually they do brag about how great they are right on there first page of the site as well as others.. Here is a quote:

Blizzard's entry into the burgeoning MMORPG market is one of the most keenly anticipated PC games of all time.
    But really all MMoRPG's do this so no idea how this is a fault..

E.) They have nine classes that are totally different from eachother.

Accually only 8 as the hunter is not ingame and there have been posts that there keeping the hunter for the first expantion.. But no offical word on this yet other than its not ingame.

Second GW has the 6 classes and you can combine any 2 you want for way more combos than WoW and you get the feel of creating your own skills.

F.) There are 8 different races, each of which has in in-depth story of events that describes their past and current sitiuationmount.

Great for RP only prob is 97% of players don't RP so not really an issue. But for those who are RP's GW's quests are great as the world accually changes as you progress through the story based on how you change it because all there quest zones are instanced so you can change with world. Ever wanted to burt down a bridge in a MMoRPG well you can. image

G.) WoW has many quests that prevent constant level grinding and add in-depth  stories, these quests actually have purpose.

GW has this as well plus there level system is 100 times faster than WoW plus don't forget that WoW just nerfs all exp by over 1/2 to slow leveling to insure level grinding..

Its not in Blizzards best interest to have you level fast because they want your monthly fee.. Until you take the monthly fee out you will never have a fast leveling MMoRPG because its just not in there interest and the suits at the top pull the strings. They want to make the most money and will only do so by making you play longer.

H.) Each race has it's own unique mount, mounts are status symbols showing that you have some power ingame (money, level, etc...) I'll list all the mounts:                                                              (1)Humans have horses, (2)Night Elves have night sabers(tigers), (3)dwarves have rams, (4)gnomes have mechanostriders(a duckbilled dinosaur/machine mix, see the officail website for a screenshot) (5)Orc have wolve mounts, (6)Tauren have the plainsrunning ability instead of a mount(a speed boost ability, (7)Undead have nightmare horses/aka undead steed, (8)Trolls have raptors(velocerapter like mount) Trolls in my oppinion have the coolest

Granted but if mounts were the reason to play a game SWG has about 30 different mounts to choose from and next to no one is playing that game. Sony has posted the closing of servers on SWG as there is not enough people playing anymore to require so many.

I'm sure I could come up with more reasons, but I'm just saying the reasons I'll play WoW, I'm not bashing GW, both will be great games, I just prefer World of Warcraft Oh, and great typing ko1o image

I agree WoW will be a great game so will GW's and I am not bashing WoW just posting GW's same great quests and great character system so that all the facts are known.

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680

GW will have more people playing it than WoW and Eq2 put together......there i said it......  Think about it, how many people bought and played diablo online?  Alot, why?  Because it was free and it was fun.  Since this game is free it will attrack alot more people than any others.  Not that i'm saying it will be better. (which i don't want to get into right now)  GW will have more people because it is free and it is fun!  Diablo was free and fun, and that had what, 7 million buyers.  If they had it so you had to pay money to play Diablo online than alot less peole would have played it.  Same thing with GW, its free and fun!  Nothing more needs to be said, but i will say it anyway.  Even though i'm an extreme fan of Eq2 i will still play GW, why?  Because its free and it looks really really fun.  Its very quick paced and i think that will be intresting to have an mmorpg (or whatever it is) that is quick paced.  This is a great game when you want to be playing 2 mmorpgs, but you don't want to pay for the price of 2 mmorpgs at once.  Again, i'm not saying that it is better, i'm just saying that it will have alot more people playing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• gaeria84gaeria84 Member Posts: 105

This thread makes my blood boil image. This grudge of WoW vs EQ2/GW is certainly neverending and unnerving. Havent you seen how many posts are there on this particular topic??

Keep this up and we'll all go insane!! imageimageimage 

*anticipating WoW*

*anticipating WoW*

I think Bobjones had a Perfect point which iv been saying all along , With Guild wars not having a monthly fee u can buy GW and then also buy Either WoW or EQ2  and have both with only 1 monthly fee.

Planning on Buying GW , WoW

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• Rampage101Rampage101 Member Posts: 50
    That is the perfect salution.

Me kill you good...

Me kill you good...

• jd269jd269 Member Posts: 225
    The WoW killer is out there already.. it's called EQ 1.  As far as Guildwars vs. WoW goes.. those are two totally different games, one is your typical time based RPG (WoW), and Guild Wars is non-stop action... until you hit the end of the content and get bored with PvP, but then there's no monthly fee so you just come back when there is more content, or you feel like PvP again.  They will update the game btw.. no monthly fee can actually mean more $$$ to the company in a fully instanced game because they don't have to keep a persistent world online they won't need to use nearly as many servers.  Games like WoW and EQ have to keep the game world up, and ready for the 100s of people that may be entering an area, this is a tremendous amount of server usage.  Keeping the game instanced cuts back on server usage, and no monthly fee means they will likely sell 3-4x as many copies as they would otherwise.

The only thing thats wrong about the above statement is that because of other things such as G vs G battles and Fame points and special evetns that could occur then there is definately enough content to last the small 6 month period u need to wait for expansions so u probably won't get bored at all or at most for shortest of times but then again nobody has to worry cuz ur not paying any monthly fees so u don't miss out on anything really !!!

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

I found a few things I question from that post as well. First EQ1 will loose most of its player base to WoW as they screwed up the last expantion and people are already jumping ship.. Even Sony has stated that they screwed up on GoD expantion but there to busy with EQ2 to fix it.. Sony is now paying for the leaders of the biggest guilds to fly down and meet with them to give them info on what can be done to fix things, but full guilds are already planing to move to WoW when it comes out.

Second as much as people seem to think that this monthly fee is needed to keep the servers running don't forget servers are cheaper than ever now and bandwidth is too.. Sony was able to run the exact same game and make millions off the monthly fee when it was $9 a month.. Imagine what there making now at $13 and what others are at $15 a month.. GW will do great with just there box sales.. DAoC paid for all there production costs on there box sales in the first few days and then made profit after that so there is plenty of money there for them to continue making content..

But I have to agree that GW will give alot more action and faster play. Great for a break from your everyday MMoRPG and perfect for the casual gamer. Not to mention perfect for the person who either can't or wont pay a monthly fee.

WoW will do fine though to many hard core MMoRPG players that want content.

• jd269jd269 Member Posts: 225
    Not so sure about WoW sucking up alot of the EQ player base.. let's not forget EQ has a big expansion coming out, and people will still be exploring that expansion when WoW is released.

• TulkamirTulkamir Member Posts: 16

EQ has had way too many expansions. I'd think that people would have learned that it's just a bunch of bull to get more of their money. But fools will be fools I suppose.

An exapansion wouldn't stop WoW from sucking up EQ fanbase though. EQ2, however, could. (With the exception of the stuborn and stupid few who wish to remain with their same chars on the original EQ.)

Originally posted by jd269
    Not so sure about WoW sucking up alot of the EQ player base.. let's not forget EQ has a big expansion coming out, and people will still be exploring that expansion when WoW is released.

Well time will tell I do however know about 1/4 of my friends guild (Enlightened) on Terra Marr have already cancelled there accounts. There GoD rates are stressed no one turning out for them. Enlighted Dark I am told have dropped in numbers too however there not planing to jump to WoW right away. My RL friends guild though are planing to go to WoW right away.

No one can say for sure but I am sure there numbers will fall right away.. If people come back or not who knows.. I do know though that if these people do have to leave EQ they don't plan to buy another sony game which I think will affect EQ2.