Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is EVE always on top

124»

Comments

• XanatozXanatoz Member Posts: 14

EvE is just a very good game, I like GW a bit more, but those two are the best right now. I think WoW is high in the ranking just because it has a lot of users. EvE is pure quality.

Have a nice day!

Visit: http://tests.infoartperu.com/ and know yourself!

• ZythylZythyl Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by SobaMan

Originally posted by Zythyl

Originally posted by Aetius73

Originally posted by Lallante
    a) pointless flame.

b) If people feel THAT strongly about EvE, then why shouldn't their votes count? EvE is top because its playerbase (sadly I know) have an emotional investment in EvE and CCP. We love the game. The vote reflects that. As it should.

Well looks like our week of peace and quite is over with <sigh>. I really wish these people would go play their game and leave ours alone. Guess that is too much to ask. Personally I wish they would do away with the entire ratings system so you people would stop showing up to whine about a few pixels on a web page. Do you not have anything else to do with your lives? Sad really.

As much as we try Lallante they never seem to get why we enjoy controlling our own destiny so much and actually getting to shape the game universe. Its like we are beating our heads against a brick wall and they just keep coming. Perhaps we just need to sticky a standard response to the same old gripe and ignore them?

btw nice avatar Dr. Atomic only seen it a million different times how original.........

What about MY avatar! I seriously can't get over it... huh? huh? It's pretty cool, aint it? Come on admit it...

Gotta catch em all, huh?

DUDE, it's megaman, not freaking pokemon, wtf. You're such a dork :P

Megaman kicks arse! Haha... so cool.

------------------------------

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    Game On!

• bkonbkon Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Minsc

Originally posted by bkon

Probably you're too techie, yes. From the user's point of view, game server is just an address they may connect to. It does not make a difference if a that "game server" is powered by giant cluster, old 486 PC or a million of specially trained GMs able to quickly type server responses.

So, the thing that really matters is the presence of "shards". EvE is unsharded, and I would treat this as a very nice feature.

You forgot hampsters.

Oops... I thought they use hamsters to generate power for the cluster. My bad...
  • pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by Narci

Originally posted by Wakizashi
    How could none of the other games with reputed higher populations, not be ranked higher? Not a fan of eve by the way. Just think it is an interesting question.

Perhaps, despite higher populations, the votes are based on a fraction of the respective playerbases. The vocal 'can-be-bothered' crowd. Assuming only subscribers have voted (though likely ex-subscribers have an opinion too)

EVE's rating is based on 4000 votes and has 120k subscribers (1 in 30 if all votes were by players bigging it up)

A huge MMo like WoW has a rating is based on some 6000 votes (1 in 1000 of its subscribers)

Neither is exactly representative of general opinion or its playerbase, just a of a small proportion of it. Just because more people do one thing than another (eg. drive Fords vs drive Ferraris) doesn't make it automatically better.

Narc

Well actually statictly speaking those are ok sample sizes.
  • KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

I completely agree with the previous post that this games score is being inflated artificially, it doesn't deserve to be in the position it currently holds and the rating scheme needs to be revamped to more accurately reflect individual gamers opinions rather than multiple entries by single individuals.

Single worst game to hit the market since pong.

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170
    Just because you may not like the game doesn't mean the ratings are artificial, not everyone shares your opinion.

Originally posted by Kurir
    I completely agree with the previous post that this games score is being inflated artificially, it doesn't deserve to be in the position it currently holds and the rating scheme needs to be revamped to more accurately reflect individual gamers opinions rather than multiple entries by single individuals.

You mean your personal opinion, don't you?

Personally, I would recommend you to forget about the EvE and to place a good rating for your favorite game. And reporting "artificial" EvE ratings to MMORPG administration. (Oh, I forgot, MMORPG admins rated EvE high too... bad for you... you know, not everything on the Earth should match your personal preferences...)

• RychekRychek Member Posts: 55

I love conclusions with no proof, reason, thesis, facts, or explaination.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Single worst game to hit the market since pong.  In my personal experience.  Of course, I'm sure that my personal experience was too little form an actual opinion because if I have the audacity to insult PONG, one of the first video games that helped pave the way for the games I love to play today, then I obviously have no f-ing clue as to what I'm talking about.  All in all though, it's safe to assume that I'm stupid, so pease disregard anything I say.  I formally apologize for my arrogance, and will never flame another game I know nothing about.  Also, I was born so far after PONG came about that I had no actual experience with it as well.  My apologies for another bad flame.

I corrected some of your spelling...

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • zendadaistzendadaist Member UncommonPosts: 22

What's with all the EVE hate? If you don't like the game then ignore it instead of devoting so much time to flaming it ::::12::

If you read the members review section for EVE you'll also notice that many of them don't like the game and have therefore rated it low. The balance of scoring in this small percentage of players is just as representative for EVE as it is for all the other games.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I suppose this thread sums it up, not by what is said, but by HOW it is said.

The EVE cult is rabid, defensive, narrow minded and above all, can be at YOUR doorstep at any time.

"Hello n00b, we R teh l33t prophits of EVE, like let us in NOW or I R going to nuke your ass, or you can pay a ransom of 20$ and we will go away?"

There is no denying that over at the EVE boards, if EVE falls below #1 there WILL be a thread advising everyone to go here and vote, if their cruddy forums had a search function this would be easily displayed, perhaps this is the reason it do not.

EVE is a great game, I even play it, but the community, at least the one most commonly encountered, will make the WoW crowd seem like Nobel prize winners.

As someone who plays the game, without being part of the cult, ( obviously ), I feel that the instant agression towards anyone who has ANYTHING bad to say about the game are either noobs, ( this is a word you will find extremely well used both in and out of game ), idiots or just dont "get it", is extremely detrimental to the game as a whole.

I have yet to find any game on the market that is a bigger breeding ground for hatred, biggotry, eliticism and most other bad parts of human society then this one.

What is even worse, the really fanatical cult members have NO distinction between in game and RL, for example had I been using my ingame name here I would have been hunted to extinction for my RL views.

I would like to ask the cult to step back a bit, and not necesarily lash out at every person who says something even remotely bad about EVE, I would like to try to explain how bad this is for the game.

But I digress, I will have as little luck with that as I would with any other fanatical religious group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Umbrood

The EVE cult is rabid, defensive, narrow minded and above all, can be at YOUR doorstep at any time.  How is it said?  A bunch of people come to our forums and flame us for what we enjoy, and then apparently get bant out of shape because we don't say thank you...?  Ummm... what shit-brained concept is that?  Only a moron would expect somebody to be nice to them after they've said "F-YOU!" to that somebody's face.  Stop being stupid.
    "Hello n00b, we R teh l33t prophits of EVE, like let us in NOW or I R going to nuke your ass, or you can pay a ransom of 20$ and we will go away?"  Read through the Eve flame threads.  The only folks talking like that are the ones FLAMING Eve... Except on the occasion where we crack a joke at the flamer's expence.
    There is no denying that over at the EVE boards, if EVE falls below #1 there WILL be a thread advising everyone to go here and vote, if their cruddy forums had a search function this would be easily displayed, perhaps this is the reason it do not.  There is plenty of denying it.  Have you read through the thread that's linked?  Nobody wants to come over here and vote.  In fact, most of the people playing Eve would prefer Eve had a WORSE rating to keep people like... WoW junkies... from noticing it.
    EVE is a great game, I even play it, but the community, at least the one most commonly encountered, will make the WoW crowd seem like Nobel prize winners.
    As someone who plays the game, without being part of the cult, ( obviously ), I feel that the instant agression towards anyone who has ANYTHING bad to say about the game are either noobs, ( this is a word you will find extremely well used both in and out of game ), idiots or just dont "get it", is extremely detrimental to the game as a whole.
    I have yet to find any game on the market that is a bigger breeding ground for hatred, biggotry, eliticism and most other bad parts of human society then this one.  You know... for somebody that plays Eve... you sure have a lot of bad things to say about it.  Which leads to believe one of two things.  Either 1) You're a retard for paying to play a game you don't enjoy or 2) you don't actually play Eve.
    What is even worse, the really fanatical cult members have NO distinction between in game and RL, for example had I been using my ingame name here I would have been hunted to extinction for my RL views.  Ummm... no.  I'm an avid forum whore over at Eve-O as well... where you HAVE to use an ingane character name.  I've been in plenty of flame wars over there too (hard to believe, I know...).  I have yet to be "hunted to extinction" because my view point differs from somebody else's.
    I would like to ask the cult to step back a bit, and not necesarily lash out at every person who says something even remotely bad about EVE, I would like to try to explain how bad this is for the game.  We don't lash out at everybody.  You're generalizing because you probably haven't read through the thralls of Eve hate threads.  There are a lot of insults floating around these forums.  Most of them directed towards Eve players, lots of them directed at those that come here and flame us for playing.  You'll find though, that if somebody has an actual problem with Eve, we are there to help... and we do as much as we can.  But, if somebody comes in saying "I tried to tutorial and this game sucks!" then we're just going to tell them to shut the hell up because they have no actual experience in the matter.
    A metaphor... "You're not a mechanic simply because you've looked under the hood.  You're a mechanic when you're actually able to take the car apart, fix it, and put it back together again."
    But I digress, I will have as little luck with that as I would with any other fanatical religious group.  Right... and you're going to expect a friendly response for this post?  You can only expect one response for flamebait no matter how "refined" you pretend to be.  It can be generalized below...

Hi.

Shut up.

Thanks.

Bye bye now.

Consider this a learning experience.

SobaKai.com
  • CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

The EVE cult is rabid, defensive, narrow minded and above all, can be at YOUR doorstep at any time.
    "Hello n00b, we R teh l33t prophits of EVE, like let us in NOW or I R going to nuke your ass, or you can pay a ransom of 20$ and we will go away?"
    There is no denying that over at the EVE boards, if EVE falls below #1 there WILL be a thread advising everyone to go here and vote, if their cruddy forums had a search function this would be easily displayed, perhaps this is the reason it do not.
    I have yet to find any game on the market that is a bigger breeding ground for hatred, biggotry, eliticism and most other bad parts of human society then this one.
    What is even worse, the really fanatical cult members have NO distinction between in game and RL, for example had I been using my ingame name here I would have been hunted to extinction for my RL views.
    I would like to ask the cult to step back a bit, and not necesarily lash out at every person who says something even remotely bad about EVE, I would like to try to explain how bad this is for the game.
    But I digress, I will have as little luck with that as I would with any other fanatical religious group.

EVE Fans are dedicated :P

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

ummmm....duuurrrr

Search function has been active for awhile now...kthxbye
  • UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Thanks Sobaman, for proving my point.

Yours was almost better then mine in describing the EVE community.

Had you stopped to think for even a second, you would have noticed I said NOTHING bad about EVE the game, but my point was to the community.

For each paraphrase you try to counter, you only strengthen what I said, wich only leads me to believe one of two things.

1. You wholeheartedly agree with me.

2. You are exactly what I described.

I consider everything a learning experience, yours was one in how to put ones foot in the mouth and chew it of.

Notice how I did this without even once calling you names, or telling you that you are stupid?

This is your lesson for the day, learn it and people will perhaps take you seriously.

/edit

ummmm....duuurrrr

How long is long? I am hardly alone in not knowing about that function, thanks for pointing it out though.

And thanks also for even further proving my point, as if it was needed.

Okey, thanks and bye.. <-- Your lesson I guess, in how to communicate with other people...

Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Had you stopped to think for even a second, you would have noticed I said NOTHING bad about EVE the game, but my point was to the community.
    For each paraphrase you try to counter, you only strengthen what I said, wich only leads me to believe one of two things.
    I consider everything a learning experience, yours was one in how to put ones foot in the mouth and chew it of.
    Notice how I did this without even once calling you names, or telling you that you are stupid?
    This is your lesson for the day, learn it and people will perhaps take you seriously.
    /edit

ummmm....duuurrrr

How long is long? I am hardly alone in not knowing about that function, thanks for pointing it out though.
    And thanks also for even further proving my point, as if it was needed.
    Okey, thanks and bye.. <-- Your lesson I guess, in how to communicate with other people...

That would be since the hardware upgrade, and in beta form for about...oh...6 months before that. Guess you missed the forum posts and news items on it going live.

/edit

You didn't even read it all, did you?  You got to "stupid" and stopped reading... if you even started...  Please, go back and understand the words that I have written.  I speak of forum whoring, flame wars, and witty replies.

You never called us names?  "Fanatical religious group" ring a bell?

Stop pretending you're better than you really are.  Read what YOU wrote... then read what I wrote.  You'll see you've just proven that you're... well... *laughs* I'll say it after your next reply.

SobaKai.com
  • NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

Maybe there are others like myself who no longer play EVE but appreciate it more and more with every awful new mmorpg we try.

*(Best wishes to the UKC)

It is funny to see a man who plays community-based MMORPG while disliking that community. EvE is virtually nothing wihout ommunity (unless you like NPC/agent grinding) A masochist? A retard? Any more variants?

Also, as SobaMan said:
    How is it said?  A bunch of people come to our
    forums and flame us for what we enjoy, and then apparently get bant out
    of shape because we don't say thank you...?  Ummm... what shit-brained
    concept is that? 
    Only a moron would expect somebody to be nice to them
    after they've said "F-YOU!" to that somebody's face. 
    Stop being stupid.
    You did not read this, did you?

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

Wait, I think I get it.  DrAtomic likes DAoC and hates EVE, oh... and he has a high IQ so we should all listen to him.

Umbrood doesn't like it either, because when someone doesn't share his opinion of a game they are all idiots.

EVE > DAoC (yes, I played DAoC for 4 years, two RR8 toons and it pales in comparison)

• furrygopherfurrygopher Member Posts: 20

just at having a go at defending myself and the game i enjoy. Yes i am defensive about eve im pretty sure im fairly narror minded in the sense that nothing ive yet tried compares to Eve so thats where my online life resides and has done for 2 years.

ehm yeah right, there are litterally hundreds of people in corps in eve dedicated to helping and teaching new players. and yes there are idiots who only want to grief but there everywhere the vast majority are not heartless bastards.

i wont deny this ive seen one of these threads but a lot of the replys were basically forum scorn being poured on the thread starter because to many players it doesnt matter if eve is 1st or 30th that wont change the game experience, but it is wide publicity for a niche game, publicity brings people in and invariably some will detest the game but each to there own.

im not going to be baited by this feel free to have your own opinion, just for the record mine is not diametrically opposed to this but it is in Eves favour.

Yah agression is bad but human nature is to reciprocate in kind if someone comes onto a board to bad mouth what people like they have to expect retaliation, Newtons Third law is often applicable to human behaviour too.

Again feel free to say and think this but remmember that whatever your opinion is there are many who will think the oposite there are always elietists biggots and hate dealers around but are they represented on any macro scale throughout he game, i think not your average pub clientel is probably a far worse offender on these charges

the dividing line between online and offline for me is blurring many of the people i play with i have met so thats hardly a charge i resent, the blurring of the lines has helped me meet people from say the nordic countries whom i would not otherwise have done and introduced other ways of seeing things to me but will i hunt someone down for there RL views hell no i rarely even hunt people down for there in game actions against me nor have i been pounded relentlessly for what i have done to others.

And i would like to ask the planet to move a little closer to the sun because its cold in Scotland in winter, but my opinion isnt shared by Etheopians or the elderly French who died in the past heatwave. What i want is irrelevent what you want is irrelevent, things dont change because we wish it. I dont need to tell you the odds of sucsess if the governments of the world all passed a law that the sky should be green in the morning and brown at night.

That is another argument i refuse to be baited into

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    Here's something interesting to think about when you think about EVE-ONLINE.

First, I don't play EvE but I did play this game for about 6 months here and there. I've learned ALOT of things and I wish to share what I've learned in this brief moment.

First, CCP team is probaly the BEST dev team i've seen in any MMO. Yes, they made mistakes, they had down times and some major issues at times but who hasn't ? But CCP always made sure to fix things right and communicate with their community (with minor issues). CCP cares ALOT about their community and they take care of them. In return, their community is simply in love with them and it's almost scary at times but look at it this way. CCP gives their community as much love as they can give and in return the community gives the team a huge load of love too. It's a great dynamic! It's a simple fact, if it's something you love, you will have the patience and dedication to do your best.

Unlike most MMO, EVE has 1 major huge server. The community is not split in splinters where it's a realm of 5000 people pushing in one direction versus another realm where another 5000 people are pushing in a different direction. One community to take care of, not 50 servers with 50 forums and 50 different views. The community is united and everyone knows each other (eventually).

EVE is not for everyone and it will never be for everyone. This is probaly the hardest MMO out there, the grind is not hard... you have no grind but the planning ahead is very demanding. A powerfull player is someone that took alot of time to create alliances, make friends, gather money, play smart and much more. In return, that player is not only the master of his little 5000 player server, he's the master of the WHOLE community. Again, this will spawn a strong community. If I take the exemple of any MMO, i'm maybe god on my server but if I decide to make char on another server... i'm nothing, i'm just a noob in the eyes of anyone. While on EVE, once you're up there, you are UP THERE.

EVE does not provide content like most MMO, EVE offers TOOLS to create content. Again, not everyone will appreciate it but I know many do.

The game has been out forever and they are still innovating and doing things right. Have you guys seen the new video on their website ? No one can say the graphics, the music or most effects are outdated. The interface is still one of the best i've used in my whole life.. If I could have the EVE interface instead of WINXP, I would be a happy boy :P

I'm skipping alot of good stuff but I hope you get my point. CCP focused on their community and it shows.

It might also help alot that most major EVE players are 20-40 years old unlike most MMO where it's 14-25 years old. I wish I had the link again for that...

In conclusion, yes I love EVE while at the same time... it's really not my type of game, I like faster paced and I don't have the patience to plan how my char will look like in 1 year.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    i'm missing something here.

ok, from the few times i've played eve, from reading various forums here, there and yonder, there's not fanbois for eve. 

there's not eve players telling the fanbois to shut up and die because they're stupid. 

every mmo out has this group of idiots who are incapable of making rational statements about the flaws in their game.  their game = their god.  take a look at wow. COx.  look at a vast majority of games out there.

not eve.  i've noticed people who say a LOT of good things about eve and that they love the game.  these same people own up to what others might consider to be shortcomings and explain that this isn't just another boring-nonstop-raidfest-eqclone-unoriginal-garbage game.

but they do it a lot nicer. 

eve is a game i have to think about before i even start playing.  or at least think about it within a couple of days, before i go down a skill path i'm not ready for yet.  eve is a game i HAVE to join a guild/corporation in order to play because it IS about politics and social interaction, just as much as it is about anything else.

i would love to see my character get out the pod and be able to do stuff independant of the pod.  the more i think about it, however, the more i believe that if THAT happened, eve would be flooded with the mindless drones which flit thru games like wow, and eq1/eq2.  so the one thing i WOULD like to do in eve, which i can't, is probably the one thing that keeps eve alive and the fanboi/ADD/emo population from running rampant throughout the eve universe.

next time i play eve, i'm going to research corporations and find one that lines up with my goals, um, my character's goals that is.

then i guess we'll just see what happens.

but why is it always on top?  because unlike the most popular game out at the moment (wow), eve doesn't have long time players that have actually come to hate and despise devs for being liars and for delivering nothing of what they've promised.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

No doubt in my mind.

EVE deserves it by far. To create a super advanced game - knowing many will not be able to handle it - is a huge daring risk.

Even so the developers made a huge success! EVE deserves #1 all day long. To be able to succeed with something so advanced it takes tons. Other games lives on very much little than what EVE does so they have it "easier".

The developers also show a huge passion for their game and they are like one with the players, unline many others.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "