Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online Growth

123457»

Comments

• mysticalaeonmysticalaeon Member Posts: 10

Well i played UO for a year non-stop and absolutely loved it. and played it more for a year on and off.

Most of my friends played it too and the others... they just took the rip that it was outdated. (obviously they hadn't tried the gameplay)

My mum referred to it as 'The horse game'.

I was pretty much forced away from playing it and i felt terrible. Good thing though or my life would be ruined :) The only reason i dont go back to it is because im afraid it would take over my life.

The reason its so good? name one other game you can do basically ANYTHING. the graphics style is perfect. most games that come out now have about 2 crafting professions and on UO the PvP side of things, you always felt like you were in dangerous territory once you left the guarded area... how amazing is that? a sense of danger is what every game needs.

The guy who said games usualy decline cause of the lack of marketting, i agree with this. You cant market old games

none

• ZitchZitch Member Posts: 129

When UO trivialised skills progression with locks and arrows, it was all over...

The flood gates were open and the entire game was dumbed down.

I played UO from 97-2001 quit and came back and it had gone from bad to pathetic.

People will always complain about PvP, thieves etctra... or even the graphics, they will quit and try another game. But if that game bores them they return to UO.

They can't return now, because UO is even more boring than everything else.

No more Trivial MMO's, let's get serious "again". Make a world, not a game
    What I listen to :)

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749
    Originally posted by Zitch

When UO trivialised skills progression with locks and arrows, it was all over...
    The flood gates were open and the entire game was dumbed down.
    I played UO from 97-2001 quit and came back and it had gone from bad to pathetic.
    People will always complain about PvP, thieves etctra... or even the graphics, they will quit and try another game. But if that game bores them they return to UO.
    They can't return now, because UO is even more boring than everything else.

heh yeah they were always bad with that. That really brought back into remembrance one of the leading reasons I left UO, I spent every day for over a year to GM my tamer, it was hard but it was the most fun, I loved hunting PE's even though it paid less and was much harder (never got super rich from it). Then one day they decided to nerf pets (could not hunt PE's any longer) and increase skill gains so that there were actually people getting to GM tamer in under a week. All the time I put in I could have made five 5x GM warriors and made a ton of gold.

On second though, I'm better off not trying the new upgrade, it's been three years and I have hardly though twice after my tamer got nerfed into oblivion. Haha kind of like what happened with those poor sods that spent countless hours trying to unlock Jedi which in the end SOE/LA made Jedi just like or less than other professions, which was at the time bad for me since I really liked playing a master bounty hunter though we could not hunt Jedi any longer anyway due to our own nerfing. Origin/EA was always competing with SOE, you could tell by the dev posts and their actions, well they managed to equal SOE pretty well in the end. Peace out, all.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

You see this often in MMOGs - it's a money grab.

Players want things that are difficult to obtain; it's a major reason players continue to play.

Short-sighted developers assume they will make more money by giving players what they seem to want.

In doing so, the developers may make a short-term gain, but ultimately they devalue the game item or aspect that was originally sought after by players as it becomes common, they devalue their game experience overall, and in the end they lesson the point in playing their game.

It's a sad cycle that UO has been in for many years; through numerous ignorant producers.