Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP a dissapointment?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I was under the impression that Lineage 2 would be a mmorpg with good PvP cappabilites. But after reading the PvP faq I get the impression that PvP will be severly limited with big penalties for attacking people and that only mutual PvP between clans are allowed?

Wont that take away alot of the excitement of PvP if there is no purpose except mutual mass dueling? Or will there be an actual reason for people to participate in PvP except for fun?

And wont item loss AND exp loss further discourage people from clan wars?

Comments

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317

Well look at it this way, you risk losing an item to get a newer better item. Dont forget if you kill another player you can take the item they drop. Risk vs Reward...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I understand that and I agree with it. But thats not the whole picture or even the half. If you lose a clan war or get killed during one not only will you lose items but also exp. And for what reward? What excactly is the reason to start a clan war? What is there to gain?

That hasnt been explained yet, maybe you can get the defeated clans castle... or more control in the economics, political or moral...

remember the players/clans gain a reputation...

I would wait till more about the Guild Wars is explained.

Altogether I think the penalties in dying is always good, not losing xp or items will make the player not care about dying. Take EQ for example. When you die in it you get pissed because you will have to work harder to get back to where you were. Makes the player play more carefully and smarter.

That is true but fighting human opponents is alot harder than fighting a predictable AI mob so deaths will happen more and to not discourage people to do PvP penalty for death shouldnt be as harsh as both items and exp.

I think items should be enough.

While AI of a mob might be predicable its not as easy. Take a raid in EQ, while a castle seige in L2 might take only 30 or so people. Raids in EQ take 50+ which will probably include multiple deaths for everyone. The Sleeper (toughest mod in the game) was finally killed, totalled deaths was over 1k between 3 guilds (170 people)...

L2 also has it in place where if you are in a Castle Seige, you lose less exp and have a less chance of dropping an item.

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

There are also strict penalties for PvP actions because they don't want the PK's to get outta hand.

This is NOT a FPS, and the sole purpose of this game is NOT to kill everyone in sight.  It is a RPG, so you can do whatever you want to do!  But you have to beware, that you can kill, or be killed by human controlled players.

I do know that there will be people who live to PK.  That is unavoidable and completely expected.  What you chose to do, is completely up to you.

And like I already stated....they don't want this game to be a total gank-fest!!! 

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

I think if you keep siegeing a castle that is owned by another guild and you defeat them multiple times you get to own the castle, but im not too sure on this.

• RaptorStormRaptorStorm Member Posts: 312

In order to own a castle, which will be owned by NPCs initially, it is necessary to win a battle against the NPCs. In the event the castle is owned by a player Clan, the battle is among attacking and defending clans.

Those are my views... seen through a broken glass.
    -Raptor

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
    -Raptor

The PvP seems very well balanced. It is done in a way that you don't have to worry about the very very lame tactic that PK'ers love to do, which is run up to you after you just got done fighting a hoard of monsters and kill you while you rest or PK you while you are AFK. If anyone does this to you, then they get penalized, as they should, and everyone can see them coming a mile away and be ready for a possible attack.

If you want to PK and do it freely you should have no problems. If the people you want to kill fight back, then you do not get branded as a PK'er, it just becomes a fair fight. This will happen more then not. Most people would rather fight back in hopes to win and not take the XP lose from death along with the run from town to get back to where they were, then just stand there and die.

It is a nice system (in my opinion) that will allow you to deal with the people being jerks in the game, while letting you rest just a bit easier after a nasty monster battle (twink kills are the worst to die from).

-Raptor

-Raptor

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

'Duels' are an accepted way to settle disputes, murder is punished by death.  Very much like true history.

Though we all hate exp loss it is needed to stop high lvl chars from equiping low lvl stuff and ganking young ones.  Lvl 50 mage starts ganking outside a city, call in your friend to kill em, he drops a squire staff and loses no exp?  hehe that won't work.

If losing a war can weaken  a guild, why would a guild ever accept war?  Well if Guild-A challenges Guild-B and they laugh and say no.  Guild-A can start group ganking Guild-B and send a msg saying they will continue to do so, unless war is accepted.  Of course, the ally system will cause the act of making such a threat dangerous.

Overall players are going to have to think before they act.  Where-as in real life one can hide their ID, in game, you will be accountable for yourself and your guild.  Players will quickly learn from mistakes and adapt to the NORM of the environment or become outcast (which is still a acceptable way to play).

• ColdSunColdSun Member Posts: 210
    Just like the real world, murdering people for profit will be punishable.  Sounds good to me.

ColdSun

Uhm, this isnt real life. Its a game and in game you want to do what is fun. I find it fun to fight human players over an AI mob.

I was under the impression that fighting human opponents was a major part of Lineage II. Maybe I was missinformed and I guess time will tell.

Fighting other players is fun - definately.  That's why I played DAOC for so long.  But mindlessly killing players who aren't as strong as you or for no reason is just plain griefing.  Its all about how much time you play and not skill.  I think the restrictions are a great idea.  Helps keep the kiddies out that ruin other people's fun.

ColdSun

Every death gives exp loss....  and a small chance to drop an item

Two people can mutually fight each other under the same risk... loser dies

However, if one person attacks a white flagged (normal player) and the defender does not harm the attacker.  The defenders dies (murdered).  The attacker will become red flagged (convict), won't be able to enter cities, will lose extra exp and has a very high chance of dropping items.  Until he works (or dies) off his bad karma.  During this time the convict can not kill other players or will take a father karma hit.  Which isn't really fair... or unfair.

You hear storys about a lvl 30 becoming red flagged and then being attacked by low levels and just dieing so that he will not lose more karma.

There are ways around it though... you can beat on someone as much as you want as long as you don't kill them.  Though I'm sure that could be considered bannable harassment if prolonged  

Yamota,

PvP is a really big part in this game, check out the link below, maybe it will answer a few questions.

http://lineage.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=10&id=9313

Not sure if this will go right to the page because I was logged into the website when I copied the link. but if you go to lineage.warcry.com and click on the choice "Castles" in the left hand menu you will see a bit behind the whole PvP aspect that I think you are talking about.

-Raptor

-Raptor

If you want close to an IGN style flame fest... lol http://www.l2orphus.com/ is about as close as it comes.... Still has very good info... and is an entertaining read for any L2 fan.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

What I find wierd about PvP in this game is the fact that if someone attacks you and you fight back and die, the attacker's name won't turn red. Seems kind of unrealistic to me. I mean if you attack someone in real life and the person fights back and dies, you'll still get arrested.

Opens up a great opportunity for griefing, and it's already being done. People run up to you, hit you once and if you don't fight back, they run away. I've seen people doing that on the newbie side of Dark Elf town. One person would run up to a newbie, hit him once and if the newbie fights back, the attacker's friends join in and gank the newbie. Because if someone attacks you and you fight back, you automatically become freely attackable to anyone without them turning red if they kill you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for PvP but the PvP rules in this game are just wierd.

Why do people keep comparing games to real life? This is not real life its a game game game GAME.

There is no magic in real life, no orcs, no mobs for you too kill with a 2h sword, no castles for you to raid etc etc.

Instead of thinking on how it is in real life why not instead try to think what will be most fun.

I think we already went over this.  Yea its a game but griefing people is wrong.  The restrictions are there because of that. :)  Just deal with it.

ColdSun
    Gamer / Aspiring Writer

ColdSun

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Yamota

Why do people keep comparing games to real life? This is not real life its a game game game GAME.
    There is no magic in real life, no orcs, no mobs for you too kill with a 2h sword, no castles for you to raid etc etc.
    Instead of thinking on how it is in real life why not instead try to think what will be most fun.

It's not comparing a game to real life, it's more of a common sense thing. It doesn't make any sense to me that as soon as a person fights back, he or she become freely attackable to anyone without any consequences.

Personaly, I think that they should've went with a more UO-ish system where only the attacker's name turns purple and the other person's name turns purple only to the attacker. Unless of course it was a duel, then both player names should be white to everyone else and purple to each other.

Edit: ColdSun, these restrictions do nothing to prevent griefing. As a matter of fact, according to the incident I described in my previous post, it actually protects griefers.

Thats very sad to hear. :(

ColdSun
    Gamer / Aspiring Writer

ColdSun

• TMcCTMcC Member Posts: 218
    Griefers rockimage

Yeah, when they are dead.

ColdSun
    Gamer / Aspiring Writer

ColdSun

Griefers suck but PvP restrictions suck even more. I dont understand why so many developers dont create seperate hardcore PvP servers for people that dont want to have artificial rules to govern their actions.

AC, EQ and DAoC all have them and I think Lineage 2 should too. Some people understandibily dont want to deal with griefers but others still dont want to have rules that restricts PvP. Both playstyles can be accomodated with seperate servers.

Good point, Yamota.  image

ColdSun
    Gamer / Aspiring Writer

ColdSun