Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guys Common, Where are you going with these Graphics

Comments

• LokimerLokimer Member Posts: 89

while I respect niche games and the like. I don't necessarily agree with Kanoth's personal expectations of nowadays mmorpg player.  Truth be told, most people are lazy and won't research  too much.

Though... the hardcore gamers might, and if they like what they play they may bring in a bunch of others with them, hardcore gamers always have influence over their peers.

Im not entirely familiar with RedBedlam  and their employees but it seems kind of odd to have such high expectations for all buyers unless you were really only interested in  attracting the group that would research such things.

It's a tossup I suppose.

• This isn't a matter of "bad graphics", Roma Victor has absolutely no style, clique, fashion, or God-knows-what to appeal to. The game's ugly. Fallout in its time at least had style, it was obvious they were doing the best with what they had. Roma Victor just looks like they didn't give a rat's ass whatsoever about how their game looked. I'd be more impressed and have more respect for Red B. if they'd just made it a 2D sprite game.

Might be interested in playing, but not until they stop raping my eyes.

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

The graphics "turned up" message has been skewed a bit from when I first told people that ground effects werent "turned on".  What you see in the latest MMORPG.com screen shots is likely what you'll see at release.

3d grass is on hold as SpeedTree is coming out with a new version of SpeedGrass that we're going to incorporate into RV because it's alot easier, and alot nicer looking than what we had before.

As I've always said, the graphic quality of RV will always be improved upon.  But screenshots hardly do it justice, you might want to wait to see some high res player screenshots.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• PostmortemPostmortem Member Posts: 21

you know how if you give a 5 year old something  shiney and pretty they will play with it for hours?  yeah, thats the eye candy mmo crowd.  then when you grow and up you figure out its just penny and want something more?  that would be the RV crowd.

you keep the penny until you grow up.  sounds like you are still having alot of fun with it lmao.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    See, that argument doesn't float with me. Games can be good AND have good graphics. It's funny to see people act like good graphics and good gameplay are mutually exclusive.
  • PostmortemPostmortem Member Posts: 21
    well that maybe your belief but i havent played a mmo w/ good graphics and game play.  so game play becomes more of a factor.  again, enjoy your penny kid.

WoW = good carttony grphx = easy, dumbied down, simplistic game play.
    DAoC = mediocre graphics, mediocre game play.
    EQ2 = pretty nice grphx, lame game play.
    UO = horrible graphics, great game play
    AC1 = bad graphics great game play
    AC2 = great grphx horrible gameplay
    L2 = elves w/ huge tits and horrible game play.
    AO = mediocre grphx mediocre game play
    SB = horrible grphx, awesome pvp, buggy.
    EvE = Ok grphx (its space how hard is it?) and great PvP.

there are other shit games out lthere that have such bad game play they arent worth mentioning(DDO, Horizons etc ..)

It isnt a belief... it's a fact. Games CAN have good graphics and gopod gameplay. You are just making yourself look foolish to stick to the silly point that they can't.
  • GoSonicsGoSonics Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Salvatoris
    It isnt a belief... it's a fact. Games CAN have good graphics and gopod gameplay. You are just making yourself look foolish to stick to the silly point that they can't.

It would be stupid to deny that games can have good graphics and good gameplay. However, it's not stupid to say this is not actually shown in the current market (MMO wise). Of course it is a matter of opinion, but for personally, and I know there are others that feel the same, the MMO market offers graphics with little gameplay value. That's the market that a low budget company will get. The people that want to get away from the graphic focused games into games with depth and long lasting value. If you can get both, that's great! But what MMO offers both (as I've stated, it's a matter of opinion, so don't bother answering this lol. I've played a significant amount of MMO's and know my stance on their gameplay)?
  • BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    I see a lot excuses. "Those screenshots are old", "It's just the screen resolution", "We only have one guy working on it, part-time", blah, blah, blah. Show us some video of what the game looks like now then.

I've heard good things about this game, but I'm not playing something that looks like that. Graphics aren't everything, sure. But they're a pretty big chunk of it. You might be in a hurry to respond with "Well, go play WoW if that's all you care about!!" and, well... That is what I'm going to do. That's what a lot of people are going to do.

Look at The Chronicle. Small company, great graphics, great gameplay. They don't need to make excuses for their game (other than to explain why it's late...). Small companies aside, there's a lot of MMOs out there with good content and great graphics. People are going to go elsewhere.

While I agree with you on the RV graphics.... The reason I never tried WoW is because of it's graphics. :)
  • MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

Bissrok go else where if you really dislike this game. It p**ses me off how people like you come into a RV forum and start bitching as if it will make a difference. We werent forced to come here, we came of our own freewill, we know how the graphics looks, why keep reminding us?, we're here on this forum because we like this game. Obviously you dont. So why not leave us be?

i dont see this much bitching for WW2 Online and the graphics for that are alot worst than RV's current graphics yet it had 30-50k subscription last i noticed.

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by Marku

Bissrok go else where if you really dislike this game. It p**ses me off how people like you come into a RV forum and start bitching as if it will make a difference. We werent forced to come here, we came of our own freewill, we know how the graphics looks, why keep reminding us?, we're here on this forum because we like this game. Obviously you dont. So why not leave us be?

i dont see this much bitching for WW2 Online and the graphics for that are alot worst than RV's current graphics yet it had 30-50k subscription last i noticed.

Originally posted by Bissrok
    You might be in a hurry to
    respond with "Well, go play WoW if that's all you care about!!" and,
    well... That is what I'm going to do. That's what a lot of people are going to do.

There's no reason for a new MMO to look like EQ. They seemed to think people would only care about gameplay and decided to only hire one part-time graphics guy. Not enough money, blah, blah, blah. Those are just excuses. If you can't afford to get a full time graphics guy on your game, you're not going to have a game people will want to play.

So what if WW2 Online's graphics also suck. That doesn't excuse them. If they can't even make RV look decent, what doest that say about them? This might have been said before, but next time they're going to remember it. Graphics are important. Sadly, more important then gameplay. At least with games like WoW and EQ2 it takes awhile before you realize they suck.
  • VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    hey, thats fine, go right ahead and play what ever...just don't say we didn't tell you so.

• MatthiusMatthius Member Posts: 49
    Whats more important to RedBedlam than graphics?  I'm sure anyone who read this thread can guess by now, it's gameplay.

Sure they aren't top of the line, and could use quite a bit of cleaning up.

What does it say about them?  It says they care more about user experience then publicity.  If you are someone who wants good graphics and good gameplay, find a different game, because it won't be Roma Victor.  But if your someone who wants average graphics, great gameplay, and a realistic setting look into Roma Victor.  I'm not saying you have to stick with it, but it might just catch you.

You are free to have your opinions, but if all your going to do is rag on a small developer team because they can't afford full time graphic designers then best walk away.  If you have no interest in it, stop posting here, if you are interested in it, posts like this aren't going to get RedBedlam to change the graphics.

My two-cents.

The Dragon Legion, Bringing Forth Eternal Light. First Roman Legion of Roma Victor.

• elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342
    How bout this?  Maybe they can make a game that is FUN to play, and then I will worry about the graphics.
  • os008os008 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Guys, will u hold your horses, i don't see y r u fighting, the game HAS a good GFX engine, take a closer look at the screenies, can't u see that PS2.0 is implemented like the light of the sun, so it's a matter of some textures and shaders to be patched and the game would look like Doom 3, ... http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gladiusonline/screenindex.html, the way i see it, this game has only the following Shaders and Tex loaded ... Faces, Stone Tiles, some Wall Tiles, everything else is not loaded, especially the grass and open land, and also the mountains, they're using Sprites for that, which would NEVER get into the final release of a game, even Knight Online, which is free, doesn't use Sprites!!!

Wait for the final game to come out and then start commenting, don't just rush and write down ur frustration cause a game u were looking forward to didn't rise up to your expectation.

I, for one, look at the GFX first thing, and i will NEVER play game with bad GFX, i look at games like HL2 as mid GFX, and Doom3 as mid-high, and Crysis as the beginning of getting there, but i'm telling u this game is using PS2.0, what else do u want from an MMO, even WoW isn't using it, give them a chance guys and be patient, thanks.

Egyptian, 27
    Former EQ2, Guild Wars player
    Waiting on the next decent MMO
    Currently playing ... nothing.

• os008os008 Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Much better than the screens in GameSpot, and they r still dated 4/2006, so still much more improvement to come!

Egyptian, 27
    Former EQ2, Guild Wars player
    Waiting on the next decent MMO
    Currently playing ... nothing.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Ordie

http://www.roma-victor.com/news/media/index.php?type=4&start=0
    Movie Clips ^^
    http://www.roma-victor.com/news/media/index.php?type=3&start=0
    Screenshots ^^

Erm hate to say this ,but ingame looks worse then that for sure.I smell DnL style of touching up the pics.

Game is live now for last few days.

Basically this is not a game for graphics mongrels thats for sure.But it has many other issues which needs looking into first .

• OrdieOrdie Member Posts: 86

Yeah, no problem. Apology accepted. It doesn't; I've been testing the game since December. This is the latest piece of Media that has been released.

http://www.roma-victor.com/news/media/videos/rv_60411.avi

It's in-game footage, no "touching up" whatsoever. Not in screenshots, not in movies.

- Starcius

Yeah, no problem. Apology accepted. It doesn't; I've been testing the game since December. This is the latest piece of Media that has been released.
    http://www.roma-victor.com/news/media/videos/rv_60411.avi
    It's in-game footage, no "touching up" whatsoever. Not in screenshots, not in movies.

having problems opening the video so cannot comment on that as i not seen the video.

But for the screenshots i quoted are better then ingame.

This following screenshots are only a few days old

http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2006731451402cd.png

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2006731452112nk.png

This were taken by a guy currently playing and are the most accurate screenshots i can relate to.

Second screenie shows the interface.

• OrdieOrdie Member Posts: 86

No screenshots are better than ingame. I dare you to present me one such example. The graphics in the screenshots are the graphics in-game. No talk over it.

- Starcius

No screenshots are better than ingame. I dare you to present me one such example. The graphics in the screenshots are the graphics in-game. No talk over it.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gladiusonline/screenindex.html?page=2

Look at the botoom 4 pics.Surely not what i see ingame.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I want something to inspire my imagination.

World of Warcraft, great graphics, totally uninsipiring grind about nothin'.  Got Gank?

• siredmondsiredmond Member Posts: 122
    Thoese screenies are so old its not even funny.