Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOG is DNL

CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

According to the recent article regarding the release date here on the mmorgp.com boards,(main page entry- above the blogs)  its very clear from the Farlan head cheese:

“The advance interest of our fans continues to amaze us. Having such a huge test base for DnL not only gives us an incredible developmental resource, but also keeps us personally energized to make Dark and Light the very best online game it can be,” said Frederic Caille, CEO of Farlan Entertainment

Now it makes it very clear that SOG is/was indeed the beta for DNL and those ppl actually paid to play a beta and Farlan deliberately lied and continues to lie about the clear and undeniable status - SOG is the DNL BETA. Straight from the head cheese himself.

Comments

• IKShadow_altIKShadow_alt Member Posts: 5

So what do you belive it will be added ( if any )to dnl release.

Or you think SoG is all they got and at release there will be no new features, no improved preformance and terrain details, content etc...

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

It's NOT good enough to be a beta.

Why do I believe they even made SOG? Because they wanted to at least let people taste it with the tip of their tongues. All the lying in-between? Take it for whatever it is.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Originally posted by Cholayna

“,,,,,, Having such a huge test base for DnL

ummm where do you think this huge test base is then if it isnt SOG? There is no beta ongoing now and the internal is certainly not a HUGE test base. Do i believe they are gonna add things? Sure.....eventually....one day.....maybe but it certainly isnt being tested on a huge scale.

And a VERY big point was the flat out emphatic LIES about the status of SOG. It was just that. A flat out lie. Ppl were duped into buying into a beta, and a bad beta at that! If Farlan treats the current fan base like this, how in the world do you think they are gonna handle the "real" game? They wont suddenly turn all gooeygushy towards their fanbase you can guarantee that. According to the setup now and in the past, they will continue to flat out LIE and mislead and scam players period.

• LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36

According to the recent article regarding the release date here on the mmorgp.com boards,(main page entry- above the blogs)  its very clear from the Farlan head cheese:
    “The advance interest of our fans continues to amaze us. Having such a huge test base for DnL not only gives us an incredible developmental resource, but also keeps us personally energized to make Dark and Light the very best online game it can be,” said Frederic Caille, CEO of Farlan Entertainment
    Now it makes it very clear that SOG is/was indeed the beta for DNL and those ppl actually paid to play a beta and Farlan deliberately lied and continues to lie about the clear and undeniable status - SOG is the DNL BETA. Straight from the head cheese himself.

Clueless comment at best.

People didn't pay to betatest DnL. Pioneers aren't supposed (much less required) to report any bug they come upon. People paid to have a taste at what DnL will be, to start playing it earlier and to get some advantages noone else will receive. Ever heard of a preorder ???

Originally posted by LFGroup
    People didn't pay to betatest DnL. Pioneers aren't supposed (much less required) to report any bug they come upon. People paid to have a taste at what DnL will be, to start playing it earlier and to get some advantages noone else will receive. Ever heard of a preorder ???

And, to that, people are stupid, since they preorder then demand a refund. Top that.

$OE lies list
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• MikeMongerMikeMonger Member Posts: 196

So basically, your argument is that there is NO large scale open beta for the finished Dark and Light product?

I mean, get real.  Lets go on the assumption that the game really DOES release on May 30.  Today is May 10.  That gives them 19 days to actually:

1.  Announce the beta.

2.  Advertise it to the point where they'd get enough people to make it meaningful.

3.  Distribute the client.

4.  Actually run the beta.

5.  Resolve all of the issues that arise during the beta.

This leads to three distinct possibilities.

1.  SoG was the open beta.

2.  Any open beta that does occur will be meaningless, because it will be extremely short and woefully underpopulated.

3.  They're simply not going to open beta the finished game, and they're just going to release it with their fingers crossed.

My recommendation?  You stop kidding yourself.  Because the only possibility that makes sense is #1.

• MITSoxFanMITSoxFan Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by MikeMonger

My recommendation?  You stop kidding yourself.  Because the only possibility that makes sense is #1.

You fail to realize one glaring issue:

Common sense + facts + past history << blind faith

I learned in these forums, as well as the DNL forums, that what we wish, and what we hope take precedent over what is, what has been, and what probably will be, better known as REALITY.

Trying to point out the obvious leads to the clever: 'We'll just have to wait and see.'
    Trying to point out the past leads to: 'Well, I'd rather wait and have a great game than have a shoddy product now, even if it's 7 years.'
    And then, once you've proved your point, you get: 'Well, I have a life, so I don't care what happens, even though I'll rebut every post you make.'

Originally posted by MITSoxFan
    You fail to realize one glaring issue:

Common sense + facts + past history << blind faith

I learned in these forums, as well as the DNL forums, that what we wish, and what we hope take precedent over what is, what has been, and what probably will be, better known as REALITY.

Trying to point out the obvious leads to the clever: 'We'll just have to wait and see.'
    Trying to point out the past leads to: 'Well, I'd rather wait and have a great game than have a shoddy product now, even if it's 7 years.'
    And then, once you've proved your point, you get: 'Well, I have a life, so I don't care what happens, even though I'll rebut every post you make.'

I know I know.  Sometimes I get bored and get sucked into these arguments....

Originally posted by MikeMonger I know I know.  Sometimes I get bored and get sucked into these arguments....

Same thing that happened to me... Sigh... Well, one thing is for sure, come May 30th, one of two things will happen.

1. They actually release the game, it's the same as SoG, and after a few months of not making a profit, they have to shut it down.

or

2. They delay it again, probably like another 4-6 months this time, if I had to guess, citing truly needing a closed beta. You can access the closed beta for free, but the client download will be $59.99.
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

"“The advance interest of our fans continues to amaze us<SNIP!>"

Did anyone else read this as, "Good God! There are more suckers out there than we thought! Quick! Suck it up until we hit lint!" :P

I cannot wait until it's released (okay, I meant to type 'delayed once again') on the 30th May, so I can quit the drama and get ready to watch the World Cup.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• XanthXanth Member UncommonPosts: 51
    It's not Beta.  I know this as fact.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Xanth

Xanth.  These aren't the official DnL forums.  Please post some links which confirm your "fact" claim.

Originally posted by indiramourn

Xanth.  These aren't the official DnL forums.  Please post some links which confirm your "fact" claim.

And THUS not being the official forums I can and will be what I am.  I know indira you've thought of me as a fanboi in the past and I'm sure that hasn't changed but all I can say is what I've stated.  Take it or leave it but in the end all the shit stated here and beyond will be reconciled as the truth be known.

As you understand I cannot comment further.  Believe what you must but accept only what you know as fact.  I know this as fact so if you believe that's fine but if not; we'll see.

• NaarNaar Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by indiramourn

And THUS not being the official forums I can and will be what I am.  I know indira you've thought of me as a fanboi in the past and I'm sure that hasn't changed but all I can say is what I've stated.  Take it or leave it but in the end all the shit stated here and beyond will be reconciled as the truth be known.

As you understand I cannot comment further.  Believe what you must but accept only what you know as fact.  I know this as fact so if you believe that's fine but if not; we'll see.

Xanth...you are not/won't be a tester unless you played SoG. Stop making yourself look foolish to the people in the know please. You don't know anything I don't....if Prediger or anyone else from the days of the offline version read this crap your posting they would be laughing right along with me.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_104004", true);

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

I know indira you've thought of me as a fanboi in the past and I'm sure that hasn't changed but all I can say is what I've stated.  Take it or leave it but in the end all the shit stated here and beyond will be reconciled as the truth be known.

Oh, and Xanth, I consider you a friend, and loved (and missed recently--were you on a hiatus?) your posts on the DnL forums.  Like I have said before.  I would love to hang out with you in a great game, as a guildy or teammate. 
    Thanks Indira.. You know I feel the same towards you after these years - if you stick around I'm sur we'll chat ingame or fight beside or each other, lol ;)

Naar, things are not as they appear. 

Really? Hmmmm, I would have to point out also that Farlan did NOT inform ppl that they would be using the ones who paid as testers. SImply because they werent supposed to report bugs, dont you think they did, each and every one of them? Farlan knew they would. Its a brand new game, its a "prelude", crazy mad fans are gonna tell them everything wrong with this game in their frenzy fanboi way. There were even posts up from others telling ppl to write in let Farlan know the problem, yadda yadda. Farlan knew they would be using SOG as a testing ground. Simply because they werent "required" or "supposed to" (<--I dont see your difference here either) doesnt mean the game was not a BETA. The devs knew they would get all they wanted and more from the fans.

You may not have picked all that up. Its clear as a bell to many and has been since they released SOG.

Originally posted by DuraheLL

. People paid to have a taste at what DnL will be, to start playing it earlier and to get some advantages noone else will receive. Ever heard of a preorder ???

And, to that, people are stupid, since they preorder then demand a refund. Top that.

Hardly "stupid". Those that wanted a refund were well within their own grounds to demand one. If we use your argument of "a taste of things to come", "advantages", then bygolly they didnt get much did they? And whoever heard of taking money on a preorder BEFORE ITS RELEASED? The "prelude" is/was horrible. The CEO states it provides testing. Ppl paid to be beta testers. Why do you think the NDA is not lifted even tho the "official" beta ended when SOG was released? Why? Because they used SOG as a testing ground for the servers/graphics/fight/etc , thats all they had besides a few choice other graphics and a pretty list of things they would LIKE to put in the game but alas..that needs testing too dont it? SOO lets release this SOG tester, add a few more things, keep the NDA on and let them test it for us as we go along. After all...we arent gonna put our fantabulous features until a later date,. we have already established that.  SO lets let them test it for us in the real game but we want them to pay for it so they can see the wonderful things we did and we wont have to wait for the money. Open your eyes ppl. U are being used. plain and simple.

Again, unless you are a developer yourself, you dont know anything more than anyone else on these boards. Must I remind you that there are current "beta testers" that post here quite frequently. Since there is no "official" beta test, these "official" beta testers are sitting on their thumbs. Having tested the game as DNL prior to the SOG release (in which SOG was the same with a couple of added things) and stating that DNL is the SOG with a few added things, thats where the info stopped. So unless you are a dev/mod/liar, you havent got one iota of credibility in these boards. Either way dev/liar, mod/liar yoru credibility is already shot as is.

Hardly "stupid". Those that wanted a refund were well within their own grounds to demand one. If we use your argument of "a taste of things to come", "advantages", then bygolly they didnt get much did they? And whoever heard of taking money on a preorder BEFORE ITS RELEASED? The "prelude" is/was horrible. The CEO states it provides testing. Ppl paid to be beta testers. Why do you think the NDA is not lifted even tho the "official" beta ended when SOG was released? Why? Because they used SOG as a testing ground for the servers/graphics/fight/etc , thats all they had besides a few choice other graphics and a pretty list of things they would LIKE to put in the game but alas..that needs testing too dont it? SOO lets release this SOG tester, add a few more things, keep the NDA on and let them test it for us as we go along. After all...we arent gonna put our fantabulous features until a later date,. we have already established that.  SO lets let them test it for us in the real game but we want them to pay for it so they can see the wonderful things we did and we wont have to wait for the money. Open your eyes ppl. U are being used. plain and simple.

Yea yea bla bla. People preordering ALWAYS do it as a chance of luck.

People who payed for the preorder simply had to blame themselves for what they did. And it's sick to demand a refund now when the game isn't even OUT yet too.

The only ones who were fooled were the ones buying the game, and yet they only fooled themselves.

$OE lies list
    "

Ok, if SoG isn't the open beta, then answer this question:

Is Farlan is going to release the game with the bulk of its features having had NO large scale testing?

The game is supposedly being released on May 30.  And to date, there hasn't even been an announcement for an open beta.  The fact is, there simply isn't time for and kind of significant open beta at this point. 

And this actually makes sense to you?

But then again, the fact that you respond to "proof please" with "I don't need any" doesn't help your credibility much....

Originally posted by MikeMonger

Ok, if SoG isn't the open beta, then answer this question:

Is Farlan is going to release the game with the bulk of its features having had NO large scale testing?

The game is supposedly being released on May 30.  And to date, there hasn't even been an announcement for an open beta.  The fact is, there simply isn't time for and kind of significant open beta at this point. 

And this actually makes sense to you?

But then again, the fact that you respond to "proof please" with "I don't need any" doesn't help your credibility much....

I think debating whether SoG was open beta/stress test is moot. It's all a matter of semantics.

If SoG wasn't an open beta or stress test, then they didn't have an open beta or stress test, and were relying on the paying and non-paying members of SoG to test the game, which they dubbed 'A preview for all the loyal fans'.

If SoG was an open beta and stress test, then they did have an open beta and stress test, and were relying on
    the paying and non-paying members of SoG to test the game, which they
    dubbed 'A preview for all the loyal fans'.

Either way, the whole thing back fired. You don't release a crap product, no matter what it is, to the general public. Especially calling it a 'gift to the loyal fans'. That's like wrapping up a turd, giving it to your mom for mother's day, and expecting her to be overjoyed with her new piece of crap. It's not funny, it's not helping the situation, and if anything, you're probably going to have to take the turd back.

Your best bet is to just continue to delay until the game is ready, or just admit the game will never be ready and call it a day. All in all, I bet there would be more people anxious for the game had SoG never happened.

Again, unless you are a developer yourself, you dont know anything more than anyone else on these boards. Must I remind you that there are current "beta testers" that post here quite frequently. Since there is no "official" beta test, these "official" beta testers are sitting on their thumbs. Having tested the game as DNL prior to the SOG release (in which SOG was the same with a couple of added things) and stating that DNL is the SOG with a few added things, thats where the info stopped. So unless you are a dev/mod/liar, you havent got one iota of credibility in these boards. Either way dev/liar, mod/liar yoru credibility is already shot as is.

OK, based on what you've said here I'll just say yes.  I have more iota's than know thank you very much.

• AlouisiousAlouisious Member Posts: 201

OK, based on what you've said here I'll just say yes.  I have more iota's than know thank you very much.

so you are a dev/liar? or a mod/liar? or a dev/mod/liar ? They are all the same thing. Dont think you understood one iota of what Cholayna said. And I believe you meant to say "more iota's than you know" perhaps?
  • sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Yep, the old DNL beta testers still frequent these boards. I wouldn't really call them "current" beta testers though, since beta has been shut down for several months now. All the "current" beta testers have left are worthless beta boards to post on.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.