Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO guide

abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

Hi there,

As i'm starting to get tired of WoW, i've been shopping around and stumbled upon the free opportunities of AO. This game somewhat reminds me of my good old times in EQ, and i'm enjoying myself more than i have in any MMORPG lately. Sure the graphics are dated (and occasionally ugly) but the years of development shines thru in gameplay which i enjoy.

Dunno if WoW spoiled me or if i just prioritize my time better these days, but i'm having a hard time understanding some of the gameplay elements of AO (tradeskilling, emphasis on skill development according to class, upgrading equipment etc), and i can't be arsed to explore it all on my own or spam the OOC-channel with questions...

So...are there any great guide covering the game in its current form? Preferrable player-written.

So far ive browsed a lot of the fan-sites, but the info is often spread a bit wide, or perhaps outdated, so i would love it if anyone have compiled a lot of the important info on playing this game. Im even considering buying the expansions and subscribing!

---------
no sig

Comments

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The best information you will get is from their official forums.

I too recently got back into AO and subscribed to the other expansions.

The game is HUGE now so there is alot of material to catch up on.

Anyways, I enjoy the game and take it in strides, day by day.

• Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290

You could look over the F.A.Q. I added to the Beginners Corner here and get the AO manual as staring points but AO is a big game so there will be no single guide. Aside from those there's stickies in the AO forums and various sites such as those listed in the manual and in my F.A.Q. plus in game chat bots. It's more a matter of knowing where good places to find the answers you need are. You could ask in the chat channels for someone willing to help you out for a while, I've seen people do that before and there is also ARK around to help you out if you need it.

• abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112

Thx for the replys, guys :)

I'm gonna check out the FAQs and the official forum. Its good to know that i can focus on a few of the resources instead of trying to compile info from the vast amount of AO-sites that i have come across.

---------
    no sig

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

AO is, by all probability, the most complex game out there, and allthough immense fun when you have somehow mastered it, or at least understood it somewhat, I can understand that you are having a hard time at the start.

I have played on and of since the early days of beta and I still find even old stuff I did not know about.

That said, should you need, just post your question here and I shall try to answer it.

General question are ok as is, but if you need skill and equipment advice please tell your class and breed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

In my experience, the best tutorial in the game is to start the game in Shadowlands. There is an NPC there (Drake Rodriguez?) that hands out missions designed to teach the basic aspects of the game. The area is a total noob area.

2 mods that are really helpful to get. One is click saver that gives you info on quests out of the mission booth. The other is Nano Nanny, an implant information guide with a spreadsheet that helps you decide what implants you want.

Originally posted by Umbrood

AO is, by all probability, the most complex game out there, and allthough immense fun when you have somehow mastered it, or at least understood it somewhat, I can understand that you are having a hard time at the start.

I agree that AO is one of the more complex MMO's out there. The only one that may be more complex is EVE Online and it is a totally different type of MMO (space game).