Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weather effects?

cefirocefiro Member UncommonPosts: 18
was hunting around for info on major weather effects, not much of a sea voyaging game if the seas are always calm and gentle, was hoping for fleet battles in the raging sea, not the bath tub with sunny weather.
ill keep looking... was hopin for a few screenies of such :(

Comments

• SargsaftSargsaft Member Posts: 29
    dont think that raging battles happen when the sea is in turmoil....i think sailors had enough to do to keep the ship together and stay alive. no time for loading guns. plus powder would only get wet....so no firing
  • FireBird74FireBird74 Member Posts: 14
    As i know there is now real weather effects at the moment, but i think they will implented after them has launched, as many other features will be implented after the game is released. The don't want unnessesary  push back the release. The same with land fighting PvP.
  • jlcardwelljlcardwell Member Posts: 2

yeah i have to say that inclimental weather, especially storms is going to be such a major part of the game, not neccesarily in battles; because if they do it right, you'll be too worried about trying to keep your ship afloat, let alone attack someone else.  Storms should be extreamly hazardous, especially to smaller ships and the closer you are to shore with the danger of running aground.

The one thing that I don't really get is the delay for avatar combat.  That seems to me to be something they would have designed from the beginning, not something that could wait until an expansion pack or update.  The whole of idea of being a pirate is so that you can swing over to the other ship and clash swords for crying out loud.  I think they'll be losing a ton of subscribers who aren't going to want to wait for avatar combat if it takes three or four months.

• JJ Member Posts: 11
    They said that they would be bringing weather effects into the game at a later time (after release). for now we will have to settle for wind effects only.
  • AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by jlcardwell

yeah i have to say that inclimental weather, especially storms is going to be such a major part of the game, not neccesarily in battles; because if they do it right, you'll be too worried about trying to keep your ship afloat, let alone attack someone else.  Storms should be extreamly hazardous, especially to smaller ships and the closer you are to shore with the danger of running aground.

The one thing that I don't really get is the delay for avatar combat.  That seems to me to be something they would have designed from the beginning, not something that could wait until an expansion pack or update.  The whole of idea of being a pirate is so that you can swing over to the other ship and clash swords for crying out loud.  I think they'll be losing a ton of subscribers who aren't going to want to wait for avatar combat if it takes three or four months.

But, up until a few months ago, They weren't even going to have [i]avatars[/i] in R1. It was, from the begining, a Ship combat-centric game. Avatars were planned for later; but, The devs are a wise bunch, and they listened to us on the forums, and included avatars with launch. They are deadset on doing things right: if they rushed through it, and came out with crap system, they will lose more subs than if they don't include it at launch, and devote more resources to it after.
  • bloodrunnerbloodrunner Member Posts: 55
    i think that is a realy good idea. beacause if you were sailing to a port city and all of a sudden a storm brews up you could get thrown off course.
  • RekamRekam Member UncommonPosts: 90

Originally posted by jlcardwell

The one thing that I don't really get is the delay for avatar combat.  That seems to me to be something they would have designed from the beginning, not something that could wait until an expansion pack or update.  The whole of idea of being a pirate is so that you can swing over to the other ship and clash swords for crying out loud. 

As mentioned previously, this games combat is centered around at sea battles, but in a interview at Gencon from Dwarven Tavern Radio, they stated that actual avatar combat during boarding action is in development. http://www.flyinglab.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14949.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

weather will be in the game on a smaller scale on initial release, the problem is finding a way to include extreme weather conditions in a way that it enhances the game...would you really want to have your ship completely ripped to shreads by a storm before the other ship even was in range? most people wouldn't...although I suppose there is something to be said for a game that features this kind of thing...It is not currently planned to have ship damaging stormed upon release

I hope that made sense, I'm getting a bit tired and not really rechecking my writing tonight.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• XxkarateXxkarate Member Posts: 27
    No weather outside of instances. Slight weather in instances. Mainly because they see no fun in having a ship you spent one month to get get blown up by some storm.

SWG- Left after they ruined it
    WoW- Left after 2 years
    EVE- Left after three days
    Pirates of the Burning Sea will be the cure to my cancer.

• Tireur0220Tireur0220 Member Posts: 1
      They took a pass on weather to concentrate on lowest common
    denominator things like interactive chickens and Eroll Flynn avatar
    combat.  Look for sunny bathtub sailing.

Y'know the longer this game takes before release, the more they work on it, the less it sounds like I'm going to like it.