Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kali?

anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
Anyone have any info, screens or links regarding the upcoming Kali patch? I've heard about it containing a graphics engine upgrade, if this is the case I will be playing. While I do love EVE's graphics, if they updated them a bit more that would be all the incentive I need to play.

Comments

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383
    It has often been said that Eve is not for everyone. I think it's also safe to say that Eve is not for you.
  • JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

No kidding!  If you think that graphics is the deciding factor whether to play Eve or not,  you are probably not mature enough to enjoy this game.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Currently you need to buy the lastes issue of E:ON to get info about the graphics upgrade. Public info won't be displayed until after E3.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Yes there is a graphics update coming. Mainly aimed at Dx10 and Vista. So the focus of that update will be around the release of Vista and beyond. 2007 with other words. But they talked about some updating of the old Dx version. Here is a dev blog about it: http://myeve.eve-online.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=323 I think you might need to be a subscriber for that one . So here is the whole thing:

reported by Redundancy | 2006.04.14 11:54:47 | Comments

If you're not an EON subscriber,
    or you haven't received your copy yet, you may not be aware we've
    announced that we're working on a number of graphics upgrades to Eve,
    including a client with a completely new graphics engine designed for
    DX10 and Windows Vista. The real announcement of all of this is going to happen at E3 but we released a preview, and some pictures of the related remodelling of ships, in EON #3.

We were hoping the EON article would clear up most of the
    questions raised from earlier references made in interviews, but so far
    that doesn't really appear to be happening. If you are to take away
    anything from this incredibly longwinded blog, please let them be these
    two points:

Development of the DX10 / Vista graphics engine, is
    development for the future and it will not stop us from continuing to
    make improvements on, fixes to and support of the current graphics
    engine.

No one has to upgrade anything. If you can run Eve now,
    you will continue to be able to run Eve and enjoy all its gameplay has
    to offer. The current version (Eve Classic) will continue to be the
    preferred version for performance and stability for a long time.

Since there are no publically available graphics cards
    supporting the DX10 specification, it is not possible to buy a computer
    that is be able to run this in hardware. I wouldn't personally buy a
    computer for Vista gaming at the moment, because it will require
    another upgrade for the graphics card if you want DX10, and of course,
    there's always the onward march of technology making whatever you buy
    now cheaper over time. If your current computer is able to run Vista is
    somewhat academic for most people at this point.

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that Vista will come in 32bit and
    64bit flavours, and will run DX9 class graphics hardware and software,
    but will not be able to use DX10 on its own. DX10 will be enabled with
    a DX10 GPU, and will be reverse compatible with DX9 games (like Eve
    Classic) through emulation. XP will not support DX10.

I've recently been working on reducing the amount of lag caused by warp-in (on all
    clients). We determined that a significant factor in the lag created
    when warping into something like a fleet battle was the disk access for
    loading the ships. The solution I've been working on is to finally add
    preloading in warp and threaded disk IO to Eve. The changes required to
    do this mean many server and client modules have been altered or
    extended slightly, which makes it a higher risk change, and means that
    it's likely to be slated for the Kali release to ensure it gets
    adequate testing.

Indeed, most of the work currently is going into making the DX9
    Trinity engine support new graphics features that will also be part of
    the DX10 engine. These features will be optional where they place
    requirements on hardware above our current requirements. The key
    distinction being that the current engine is being extended with
    optional features, while the DX10 version will be a 'new' engine
    designed to take full advantage of the DX10 spec.

DX10 is looking to be a nice specification that adds a lot of
    useful features, and yes, for the best visual experience in Eve, you'll
    probably need to eventually use Vista. A lack of the DX9 caps in DX10
    allows us to focus on taking advantage of the features, rather than
    planning everything with the requirement for fallback options and
    complicated multiple render paths to cater for weird hardware
    capabilities – it’s a little like developing for a console: you know
    what you’ve got to work with. One of the nice things about DX10 is that
    it really focuses on enabling you to batch together draw calls to the
    GPU to reduce the number you need to perform, because each of them has
    a significant CPU overhead. This overhead has been a major problem with
    the current version of Trinity.

If you’d like to know what new features are going to be ported
    back, it’s difficult to say. Among other things, we’re very likely
    going to have to create completely different structures for our engine
    objects for DX10 due to the way that the current Trinity engine is so
    intertwined with the fixed pipeline, which in turn is very likely going
    to require updated content files (DX10 completely discards the fixed
    function pipeline in favour of an entirely programmable pipeline). It’s
    going to get a little complicated to support and debug problems with
    many different versions of content files and code paths to cover all
    the possibilities, this is the one big reason for the fairly strong
    delineation between the engines.

Strong candidates that have been mentioned are the new normal
    mapped ships, HDR and self shadowing (PCF, for those who’d like to
    know). As I mentioned at FanFest05, I’d also really want to get
    anything that can offer a performance boost without overcomplicating
    the engine into the original Trinity. I would hope candidates for that
    sort of thing might be trails and turrets. Conceivably, some updated
    environmental features like vertex and pixel shaded planets may be
    possible. So, if everything goes the way we’d hope, the original
    Trinity engine will look a lot better for those with the hardware to
    take advantage of these features.
    These features are what we WANT, but are subject to change!

The rewrite that we're doing for DX10 is a huge shift in the
    basic architecture of the engine, and we need a solid platform to do it
    on. The current Trinity can and will be optimized and extended, but as
    a 5 year old engine it's reaching the end of its lifespan. After all,
    there is a limit to what you can do with an engine fundamentally
    plugged into DX8 level functionality. Looking forward, we need an
    engine that we can push the envelope with for the next 6 or so years,
    and it needs to be built around the key features of where the
    technology is going. As far as the features that we'll be putting in
    exclusively for Eve Vista, it's far too early to tell.

I think it’s also important to point out that while we have
    every intention of building an amazing next generation engine that we
    want to take advantage of in Eve, we don’t have any plans to segregate
    gameplay content in Eve by your OS or hardware capabilities. 'Classic
    Eve' might not look as good, but unless you only play for graphical
    glitz, you’ll be able to enjoy it with everyone else. You shouldn't
    feel that you're a "second class citizen" just because you can't take
    advantage of our preparation for the future yet. The majority of our
    customers will be using the DX9 client for quite a while, and we fully
    intend to continue to support you to the best of our ability. Since the
    platform, drivers and our new engine will all be immature when we
    release the new engine, you can expect that there are likely to be many
    issues that we're going to have to work through in the early days
    before most people migrate.

I know that some people who don't have EON subscriptions are
    desperate to get their hands on some new images. New images will of
    course be released over time in other places, so it's just a matter of
    holding on.

I have the latest version of E-ON. And honestly the updates aren't looking that great. Just some higher polycounts, normal mapping and specular effects. But I guess they still want to keep it reasonable so that large fleet battles and so don't dissapear after Vista is released.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by anarchyart
    Anyone have any info, screens or links regarding the upcoming Kali patch? I've heard about it containing a graphics engine upgrade, if this is the case I will be playing. While I do love EVE's graphics, if they updated them a bit more that would be all the incentive I need to play.

First, they have to upgrade the engine.

Second, you have to actually own a computer that can support Windows Vista.

Third, you have to have a graphics card that can support DX10.

You won't be Eve playing for quite some time...

YES!!

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Yes, there will be minor graphical updates included in Kali.  Kali is schedualed for end of Q2?

They have another big publish dated for around end of Q4 which will likely have a lot more graphical updates.  I'm expecting an update to the GUI which allows players to turn on/off these minor features to reduce system lag. 

I can't say what's planned, I don't know, but I can say there will be added graphical enhancements through every publish of EVE Online.

As some others had frankly put it, EVE is _not_ about the graphics.  If you're looking to play just for the graphical appearance you WILL be dissapointed.  The graphics are there simply to compliment the game play and time spent while managing your progress. ;)

The Dx10/Vista stuff will not be seen for some time.  Vista is dated for Q1 2007 and it should be expected that CCP will insure there's a valid market to push a matured graphical update such as what they're planning.  Maybe Q4 2007...?

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

Hey AA...  thinking of playing EVE?  The most I've read from the official site is this, I don't know if there's more though.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by duncan_922
    Hey AA... thinking of playing EVE? The most I've read from the official site is this, I don't know if there's more though.

Unfortunately, the Feature web site is not update frequently at all. The real information is in the Dev Blogs and Patch/Development Notes, which is only viewable with an account.

With the Graphics upgrade, it is coming in two parts. The first is an update to the current engine to take advantage of current generation effect and basically stretch it to its limits. They plan on adding things like new high-poly models, normal mapping, HDR, and self-shadowing. While the requirements for this haven't been mentioned, it shouldn't require anything too specialized in the graphics card department, and the extra effects should be able to be turned off.

While the Devs have said the the current engine is their preferred supported platform, they also realize that they won't be able to keep it updated for much longer. So, development on a next generation graphics engine (completely from scratch) is being written to utilize DirectX10 and Windows Vista. It will probably feature the same new models and effects as the now updated "old" engine plus a lot more, and will allow development for several more years. Many of the current design constraints are based on the limits of the current graphics engine. So when they can reasonably phase out the old engine (in the FAR future), many interesting new possibilities should open up.

//insert sig here
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    The engine is being upgraded to use DX9, not just DX10. All ship models are being redone at 1-2 million poly's so that they can create normal maps to put on lower poly models (think doom3 and X3). They are also adding true shadowing into the game and true HDR. All of this is easily possible in DX9. The DX10-only features will likely be mostly related to geometry mapping and certain other things that the DX10 spec is being designed around.

They are going to have a booth at this years E3 so I expect they will be showing off some of the new graphics engine features there.

• KialeyKialey Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Alekhin
    No kidding!  If you think that graphics is the deciding factor whether to play Eve or not,  you are probably not mature enough to enjoy this game.

lol... EVE has the worst player community I've seen.  I'd rather have to hear stupid Chuck Norris jokes in WoW than have to listen to the elitist garbage spewed by EVE players. 

Here this guy is just asking a simple question about a patch which could be the deciding factor in him returning to EVE, and he gets ridiculed by the players.  Nice!

(and no, I don't play WoW... so save your elitist comments on that too.)

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Kialey

lol... EVE has the worst player community I've seen.  I'd rather have to hear stupid Chuck Norris jokes in WoW than have to listen to the elitist garbage spewed by EVE players. 

Here this guy is just asking a simple question about a patch which could be the deciding factor in him returning to EVE, and he gets ridiculed by the players.  Nice!

Umm... why are you still here?  If you hate Eve so much... why are you hanging out in our forums?

See defenition of "Redundant"

The player base is telling him that if graphics are his deciding factor for whether or not he enjoys a game... then Eve isn't the game for him.  It's kinda like... if you continue to flame the Eve forums despite the fact that you don't play the game... WoW is probably the game for you.

And I'm not calling you a WoW player (that last statement is required because everytime I recommend a game to this moron he turns around and thinks I'm comparing him to the game, or something along those lines).

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
    I'm going to make an attempt to be a little nicer, so deleted this post.
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I'd say I made a pretty good attempt to answer his question with no hint of any hostility of any kind. Of course you WOULD ignore that because it doesn't support your point.

Originally posted by Minsc

I'd say I made a pretty good attempt to answer his question with no hint of any hostility of any kind. Of course you WOULD ignore that because it doesn't support your point.

I could have been more diplomatic, but my premise is correct in that the OP probably wouldn't like the game. Of course you never know until you try.

As for Kialey, his response is in error in that he incorrectly asserts that the OP was trying to return to Eve. That isn't stated anywhere in AnarchyArt's post. Also Kialey is making a generilization from a specific example which is a generalization fallacy. 

Me and some others posting here (specific example) = Eve has the worst player community (Generalization)

That's faulty logic. Kialey doesn't want to try and be a fair and objective poster, he just wants to flame.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    If Eve would upgrade graphics right now, I would of joined in just to see those new graphics live.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by SonOfAGhost
    It has often been said that Eve is not for everyone. I think it's also safe to say that Eve is not for you.

Thank you both for your concern. You think it takes maturity to enjoy EVE? Gimme a break, there are plenty of bedwetters playing EVE, legions of them in fact. Both of you can below me.

I think a graphical update is needed for EVE and will definitely make me try it again. If you don't agree, that is your right, as is going and ****ing yourself.

Originally posted by SobaMan
    The player base is telling him that if graphics are his deciding factor for whether or not he enjoys a game... then Eve isn't the game for him. 

Why do you think they are upgrading the graphics, oh EVE fanboi genius? Because they want to draw in more players perhaps?? F***tard.

Don't worry, I'm not ignorant enough to judge EVE by one or three ignorant enthusiasts. I know there are plenty of intelligent people who play EVE.

You are being a really sad ambassador for the game if this is how you think. I never said graphics were a deciding factor for me enjoying the game, I said it was a deciding factor for me trying the game again.

If they did a graphical update for UO, how many people do you think would be interested? If there were NO graphics for EVE, just a spreadsheet and text, would you play it still? How many people do you think would play it with zero graphics? Not very many. Give your head a shake.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I could have been more diplomatic, but my premise is correct in that the OP probably wouldn't like the game. Of course you never know until you try.

As for Kialey, his response is in error in that he incorrectly asserts that the OP was trying to return to Eve. That isn't stated anywhere in AnarchyArt's post. Also Kialey is making a generilization from a specific example which is a generalization fallacy. 

Me and some others posting here (specific example) = Eve has the worst player community (Generalization)

That's faulty logic. Kialey doesn't want to try and be a fair and objective poster, he just wants to flame.

Faulty logic is thinking that because you play EvE you are mature which is clearly what the response said.

Mature players wouldn't rip on other gamers which is exactly what he did.

The engine is being upgraded to use DX9, not just DX10. All ship models are being redone at 1-2 million poly's so that they can create normal maps to put on lower poly models (think doom3 and X3). They are also adding true shadowing into the game and true HDR. All of this is easily possible in DX9. The DX10-only features will likely be mostly related to geometry mapping and certain other things that the DX10 spec is being designed around.

They are going to have a booth at this years E3 so I expect they will be showing off some of the new graphics engine features there.

Thank you for this, and the other people who replied intelligibly. I do love the concept of EVE, with even better graphics I don't see how I can avoid playing it again, even with the rabid fanbois.

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

To OP,just think about a developer that isnt mony greed,that develop free expantions,and dont make mess with them or send them live half done,a developer that want their game to last for the next 6+ years,doing beter grafics and beter gameplay...

CCP best MMO producer

EVE Online a game forever

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

Thank you both for your concern. You think it takes maturity to enjoy EVE? Gimme a break, there are plenty of bedwetters playing EVE, legions of them in fact. Both of you can below me.

I think a graphical update is needed for EVE and will definitely make me try it again. If you don't agree, that is your right, as is going and ****ing yourself.

So much for my being polite and diplomatic. I didn't say anything about maturity, though your reply, once again, demonstrates your shortcomings in that regard. Not to worry, there are quite a number of immature players in Eve that enjoy it and that was not my reason.

You might get a some enjoyment from this game. However, you have in many other threads in various forums here. demonstrated time and again that you are interested only in the short term. Play for a month or two and then on to the next game. I'm not knocking you for that, it is simply both my observation AND your own statements to that effect. Unlike many other games the biggest rewards/enjoyment cannot be obtained in such a short time frame. The real time skill training precludes power-leveling. Thus, in the short(ish) time you play any given game you won't get as much enjoyment from Eve as you would another game.

You might get some enjoyment from Eve. Knowing your committment level to a given game, you will get more enjoyment from most other games. Thus, Eve is not the ideal game for you.

So much for my being polite and diplomatic. I didn't say anything about maturity, though your reply, once again, demonstrates your shortcomings in that regard. Not to worry, there are quite a number of immature players in Eve that enjoy it and that was not my reason.
    You might get a some enjoyment from this game. However, you have in many other threads in various forums here. demonstrated time and again that you are interested only in the short term. Play for a month or two and then on to the next game. I'm not knocking you for that, it is simply both my observation AND your own statements to that effect. Unlike many other games the biggest rewards/enjoyment cannot be obtained in such a short time frame. The real time skill training precludes power-leveling. Thus, in the short(ish) time you play any given game you won't get as much enjoyment from Eve as you would another game.
    You might get some enjoyment from Eve. Knowing your committment level to a given game, you will get more enjoyment from most other games. Thus, Eve is not the ideal game for you.

Hmmm but from what you're saying it sounds like EVE might hook me for more than a month or two. And just so you know I played UO for 3 years and EQ for 3 also. Thing is, I had a lot more time to play games back then. I would play for easily 30-40 hours a week. Nowadayds I'm very lucky if I have more than 20 hours a week to play.

Anyway, when they update the graphics I'm gonna give it another try. Have fun playing whatever is is you're playing, if indeed you are playing any games.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    I am like anarchyart, I used to play 8-12 hours a day. Nowadays, I play at most 3-5 hours daily (8-10 hours on weekends if im not fishing or doing anything). And I like to switch games. For example I can play Planetside for 2 months, then play WoW for 1-2 then play Eve, then play CS for a month, or some  other Single Player game. So I dont grind one game, I like to play different games. There is nothing wrong with that, and when I hear Eve is gonna upgrade its graphics, maybe THAT will just be enough to persuade me to cancel planetside and re-join Eve, for a month or two. And thats perfectly fine. So why does anyone need to jump at another person for not following their play style? You dont need to play Eve for 5 years in a row to start enjoying it. So, everyone take a chill-pill, hop into your osprey and enjoy Eve, however you do it (even if you're a pirate who likes to camp gates)

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670

Originally posted by Celestian

Faulty logic is thinking that because you play EvE you are mature which is clearly what the response said.

Mature players wouldn't rip on other gamers which is exactly what he did.

This seems a bit empty coming from someone who repeatedly stops by the SWG forum just to troll.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363

Thank you for this, and the other people who replied intelligibly. I do love the concept of EVE, with even better graphics I don't see how I can avoid playing it again, even with the rabid fanbois.

Yay, he found them without being overwhelmed by the morons at the start! God I hate our fanboys... Either elitest or helpfull, both seem to fhk it up. Can't wait to see the new updates myself.. Just In the not too distant futre (say 2 years) I might be able to afford Vista and a system to run DirectX 10.0 or higher graph card... *sigh*

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow