Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Travelling got you down? (tips)

Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I keep seeing the same complaints from new players, which are completely valid complaints based on Eve's travel time.  New players "should" be concerned if their agents are sending them on 8-17 jump missions, or if they spend more time travelling then playing.  Questions should be asked, but typically the new player just accepts this as normal and gets frustrated

I'd like this to stay on topic which will be only suggestions to new players on how to improve their travel times.

During the tutuorial, you are told to change a couple of map/navigation settings in the map.  These settings are not optimal, and will greatly increase your travel distances.  To change this, do the following:

In the map console, go to the autopilot tab and make sure you have "prefer shortest route" checked.  Make sure "avoid pod killing zones" is NOT-checked.  More times then not, even if you are not required to travel through a low sec. system, setting your autopilot for "safest route" and "avoid podkilling" will increase the number of jumps so do NOT use the settings the tutorial has you set.

Ask your corp. mates for bookmarks and learn how to copy them and use "instas".  Basically, an "insta" is a bookmark of a location that allows you to warp directly to it instead of 15km from it.  Very important when gating through low security, or just speeding up the overall gating process.  This is a core system of travel that you need to learn, especially if you need to travel through low security space.  If you have no corp mates who can supply you with bookmarks, check the "buy orders" and "sell orders" forum on the Eve website and look for reputable bookmark sellers.  DO NOT buy bookmarks from un-known sellers on the escrow!

If you have to make multiple jumps to multiple locations, (ie. you have 4 stations to visit all in different systems to pick up ore, or equipment etc) set waypoints to all of your destinations and "optimize" them in the map.  Set you autopilot to stop at each waypoint.

I hope this helps some of you who are just starting out and are having issues with travelling in game.  Feel free to add any other suggestions or offer questions on the topic.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Comments

• reganthebadreganthebad Member Posts: 13
    hmmm..i smell a pirate.
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by reganthebad
    hmmm..i smell a pirate.

if yer refering to the first suggestion on unchecking pod killing zones and selecting shortest routes, this is common Eve knowledge that those settings will pretty much kill your travel time.

besides, if I were a pirate I wouldnt have mentioned using instas :)  thats the only thing that can save you (besides warping with a few friends) from being gate ganked.

honestly, im just trying to give some very simple suggestions for new players to help their game.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

Originally posted by Rayx0r

if yer refering to the first suggestion on unchecking pod killing zones and selecting shortest routes, this is common Eve knowledge that those settings will pretty much kill your travel time.

He speaks the truth especially since "pod killing zones" are not limited to unsecure space if there is an empire war being waged a pod killing zone could include a perfectly safe sector.
  • Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by Aetius73

Originally posted by Rayx0r

He speaks the truth especially since "pod killing zones" are not limited to unsecure space if there is an empire war being waged a pod killing zone could include a perfectly safe sector.

tnx for the comment.

see.. im no pirate :)