Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This week without hijack

CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Jackdog

4/24/06 6:50:31 AM
User Information
Report!
Hard Core Member

Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100

Well it is the 24th and no link yet on the DL for the pioneers, no word on monthly cost, no skilltrees. Will they announce another delay in launch and continue with the SoG farce? Will they admit SoG = DnL and just throw a patch out that changes the splash screen? Three or four days left depending on how you look at things but the 27th is almost here boyz and girlz.

ndiramourn

4/24/06 12:42:43 PM
User Information
Report!
Advanced Member

Rank: 54/100 Rank: 54/100 Rank: 54/100 Rank: 54/100 Rank: 54/100

Here are the steps for launching DnL:

1) Reset the SoG player database

2) Change the name of the DnLg.exe file to DnL.exe

3) Make a couple splashscreen modifcations

Zorbane

4/24/06 4:45:18 PM
User Information
Report!
Hard Core Member

Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100

the devs are either pissing their pants or laughing their way to the bank

Zippy

4/24/06 5:29:19 PM
User Information
Report!
Elite Member

Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100

Originally posted by Zorbane

I know we should never underestimate the stupidity of our fellow human beings especially game players but I have a hard time believing there are any more suckers left.  Mourning despite having a game with much more content and better stability sold less than a 1000 orders.   DnL has no hype left. 

Thanks to SoG, almost all gamers, no matter their IQ, know to stay far away from DnL.  Who else is left except for the 20 or so fanboys and they have already pre-ordered.  I would be shocked if they sell over a 100 new orders.   I would bet the Devs are quite depressed realizing that they will not realize a financial windfall from releasing DnL.  But I guess the devs can be content that when they release people can no longer get refunds. 

In retrospect Farlan would have been much better off just releasing the game in December when there was some actual positive hype about the game and people who played could not have gotten refunds.

Zorbane

4/24/06 6:07:11 PM
User Information
Report!
Hard Core Member

Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100 Rank: 75/100

interestingly enough they're still getting a trickle of preorders

But only a handful a day

Jackdog

4/24/06 8:23:53 PM
User Information
Report!
Hard Core Member

Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100 Rank: 66/100

kind of interesting that there is always one How do I order thread on the first page  of the forums. When it fades to page 2 another always appears

Zippy

4/24/06 8:37:52 PM
User Information
Report!
Elite Member

Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100 Rank: 100/100

I did notice just now there were 36 registered viewers on the main forum.  I have not seen it go above 13 in months.  I might have been wrong they might actually break 100 concurrent players on release day.  Assuming the servers stay up.

thePREdiger

4/25/06 5:08:58 AM
User Information
Report!
Apprentice Member

Rank: 38/100 Rank: 38/100 Rank: 38/100 Rank: 38/100 Rank: 38/100

Originally posted by indiramourn

Here are the steps for launching DnL:
1) Reset the SoG player database
2) Change the name of the DnLg.exe file to DnL.exe
3) Make a couple splashscreen modifcations

this is going to be the sad truth :(

tsr57

4/25/06 5:26:23 AM
User Information
Report!
Advanced Member

Rank: 44/100 Rank: 44/100 Rank: 44/100 Rank: 44/100 Rank: 44/100

mourning only chose to accept under 1k orders.. they coulda taken way more if they tried the same ruse that dnl did with sog...

at this point for dnl to sell even a few hundred new copies without giving a free preview trial would have to be an act of god.

the same people camping the forums or coming back and forth doesnt really equal unique hits.. Half of those people are only there to watch... You know how people line up on the side of the road to see a bad car accident unfold.

Cholayna

4/25/06 8:19:58 AM
User Information
Report!
Hard Core Member

Rank: 79/100 Rank: 79/100 Rank: 79/100 Rank: 79/100 Rank: 79/100

This week ....there is still evidence of thier unethical and misleading biz practices.

Pioneers were promised exclusive 48 hr access.

Pre-orders were promised 4/27/06. At launch with the extra goodie to be used at launch.

As someone at the boards so succintly stated: DNL have placed themselves in a box by promising two different things to two different groups with no happy and true medium for either one to get what they paid for.

Now DNL is saying that ppl were just stupid to not know that the Pioneers got exclusive access. That ppl were just stupid to believe the sales info used to entice the pre-order sale as this was an outdated and "mistyped" sales lead. That ppl were stupid for expecting to be able to play on the 27th, as the sales incentive page states. That ppl were stupid for expecting to be able to play on the 27th as their email confirmation of pre-order states.

Either way, it will anger the pioneer camp if the pre-orders go in at the same time as them. It will anger the pre-orders if they dont get to play on the 27th.

Totally incredible and OMG! PASS THE POPCORN to see just how they will wiggle, waggle and sleaze their way outta this.

Alouisious

4/25/06 9:18:25 AM
Edit
User Information
Report!
Advanced Member

Rank: 43/100 Rank: 43/100 Rank: 43/100 Rank: 43/100 Rank: 43/100

Originally posted by Jackdog
Well it is the 24th and no link yet on the DL for the pioneers, no word on monthly cost, no skilltrees. Will they announce another delay in launch and continue with the SoG farce? Will they admit SoG = DnL and just throw a patch out that changes the splash screen? Three or four days left depending on how you look at things but the 27th is almost here boyz and girlz.

As a pioneer, its two days to printed release and no info at all about any of this. They may delay it all to figure out the pioneer/preorder mess but its obvious some group is going to be left out. Pretty dumb thing to do as it would show either side that DNL just doesnt give a hoot about its customers.

Comments

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

sorry double post

Originally posted by Zorbane

I know we should never underestimate the stupidity of our fellow human beings especially game players but I have a hard time believing there are any more suckers left.  Mourning despite having a game with much more content and better stability sold less than a 1000 orders.   DnL has no hype left. 

Thanks to SoG, almost all gamers, no matter their IQ, know to stay far away from DnL.  Who else is left except for the 20 or so fanboys and they have already pre-ordered.  I would be shocked if they sell over a 100 new orders.   I would bet the Devs are quite depressed realizing that they will not realize a financial windfall from releasing DnL.  But I guess the devs can be content that when they release people can no longer get refunds. 

In retrospect Farlan would have been much better off just releasing the game in December when there was some actual positive hype about the game and people who played could not have gotten refunds... Zippy

So as not to encourage censoring

Here is a rely to the above quote

Before SoG there was about 260k registered DnL members, now it is sitting over 300k registered DnL members, roughly a 10k increase every month.

Also the number of forum watchers is about 100 to 150 on all boards at any one time.

If each person stays for on average 15mins per day, that is at the very least 10k+ unique hits per day on the DnL official site. If we double the average time to 30mins per day for all watches (thats a lot for most people) we still have over 5k+ unique hits per day.

Also it is to be noted that on the mmorpg.com forums on unreleased games the DnL forum is by far the largest indicating high interest

Cheers

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Well, they have been sick sue to a plaque that hit the
    island. Many people died.

Also, they never said they were going to give out the skill trees, it’s not
    required, Where’s your since of exploration? I don’t see an official skill tree
    for eq2.

They did release allot of information this week about classes and progression
    in the game.

I guess people just need game to make a flash "player maker" so you can try all
    the possibilities before even buying the game right?  Where the mystery?

All of the classes have been given (check the site) All of the races have ben given.Politics have been explaned, The fort system has been exposed.. a ton of lore is out. and this thing here.

Not to mention this is a private company with 15 developers
    working on the largest game ever made.

Stop being greedy!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AlouisiousAlouisious Member Posts: 201
    and so as not to encourage misleading and erroneous information, your post Blacksac holds no water. It is a false representation . How many hits a site gets does not make for the nasty flavor of an illconcieved plan of distribution of a shoddy game. As well, members registered from years ago, who are no longer active or even give a hoot about this game is a sad reflection when only 100 of them are across the boards. Pretty sad . 

Originally posted by Alouisious 
    As well, members registered from years ago, who are no longer active or even give a hoot about this game is a sad reflection when only 100 of them are across the boards. Pretty sad . 

100 at any one time (5k to 10k over the day)

Even this huge site (mmorpg.com) only has 100 members on at any one time, but they do get 700 guests at the same time (and the DnL forum gets the lion share on the unreleased game forums).. its all relative though

you make no sense Mr Blood. We are simply expecting what we expect in all games and purchases for that matter. Anybody can make things pretty on paper. Heck even I can come up with a pretty darn good concept. Making it work, implementing it, now theres the kicker. So far these companies involved have shown no ability whatsoever to make a game playable. 

Originally posted by blacksac

As well, members registered from years ago, who are no longer active or even give a hoot about this game is a sad reflection when only 100 of them are across the boards. Pretty sad . 

100 at any one time (5k to 10k over the day)

Even this huge site (mmorpg.com) only has 100 members on at any one time, but they do get 700 guests at the same time (and the DnL forum gets the lion share on the unreleased game forums).. its all relative though

that is untrue , there are not 5 to 10 during a 24 hr period.And although it may get the lions share of the mmorgp unreleased games, look at what is posted. 99.99% is the bold horrible truth about this game. I wouldnt brag about that.
    P.S.  I have seen many that seem to never log off the dnl site! Show me your proof Blacksac. But then again, dont bother,. It really isnt interesting, nor on topic, nor worth reading about. Nobody cares or believes it anyway and doesnt make a point at all unless you are saying even bad press is good press?

you make no sense Mr Blood. We are simply expecting what we expect in all games and purchases for that matter. Anybody can make things pretty on paper. Heck even I can come up with a pretty darn good concept. Making it work, implementing it, now theres the kicker. So far these companies involved have shown no ability whatsoever to make a game playable. 

SOG has been playable for quite some time now.

DnL is comming. and they have stated many times over "Monthly fees will be inline with others"...as in 12-15$ Mo. Same as it ever was.

What elese? Becouse thats all you guys were talking about besides the Skill trees. And from that its seems like every one wants each and every skill to have a paragraph attached and the Direct numbers shown. For some reasion DnL is being held to a standard applyed to Typical MMO's when it its self, is not a tipical MMO.

As far as on paper, I have seen the migration system in
    action. It was removed in SOG I assume due to need of tweaking. It was very
    cool, but people were confused because they didn’t find there level 1 rats
    right outside of town.  Another example of how DnL is not like most
    others. You are not hand feed at any point in this game. (That I have seen), the
    progression is not linear, there is no lvl restrictions and thus no corralling
    of players threw a predetermined game play as is the case with most MMO's.

This confuses people, they need to get over it.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

And that's the difference right there.  To many people SoG is "playable".  For people who feel that way, DnL will probably satisfy them.  Who are these people?  And how did their standards get so low?  Argue for your limitations, and they are yours. 

To me, and many others, SoG is NOT playable, even if you can stay logged in for hours at a time.  There is really nothing that can be said to the "SoG is playable", "DnL will be great even if it's just SoG with a few new features and promises of more to come" folks to make them see.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

As far as on paper, I have seen the migration system in action. It was removed in SOG I assume due to need of tweaking. It was very cool, but people were confused because they didn’t find there level 1 rats right outside of town.  Another example of how DnL is not like most others. You are not hand feed at any point in this game. (That I have seen), the progression is not linear, there is no lvl restrictions and thus no corralling of players threw a predetermined game play as is the case with most MMO's.

What you need to get over is no one is going to buy or pay a subscription fee if your game is not enjoyable. WoW had zero innovation, broke zero molds, yet it still blew the lid off all subscription numbers because a lot of people found it fun. In contrast DnL/SoG lost 99% of it's player while it was free. Hmm, I wonder if it was because the damn thing just is not fun and people will not waste their time playing a game that is not fun even when it is free?

I miss DAoC

• tsr57tsr57 Member Posts: 187

"This confuses people, they need to get over it."

No actually what they will do is just go play something else and leave the DnL creators to "get over it". 

• Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

in what low quality and 54% uptime are you talking about?

DnL is comming. and they have stated many times over "Monthly fees will be inline with others"...as in 12-15$ Mo. Same as it ever was.

nobody ever questioned there will be fees....what ppl want to know is exactly how much. They have yet to confirm this. Bad management.

What elese? Becouse thats all you guys were talking about besides the Skill trees. And from that its seems like every one wants each and every skill to have a paragraph attached and the Direct numbers shown. For some reasion DnL is being held to a standard applyed to Typical MMO's when it its self, is not a tipical MMO.

DNL is being held to a standard they themselves established. Big promises, little actual reward. Allowing for information, and complete information is not asking alot. You are acting like a customer should just say screw it and spend their money without knowing anything about the game. Thats what the devs are counting on, too bad there are too many others who demand high quality and demand a right to check things out before they oh so graciously hand you their money.

As far as on paper, I have seen the migration system in action. It was removed in SOG I assume due to need of tweaking. It was very cool, but people were confused because they didn’t find there level 1 rats right outside of town. 

Wow would be interesting if many others had seen the same thing. I remember them being moved away from starterville simply due to the strain on the server with so many there. Many ppl complained about it, so they moved it out further. Is that the migration you are talking about? I would have to clarify this with my friend who WAS in beta to confirm anything you are saying as I have been at the game for a couple years and in SOG since the beginning and I dont remember any migration. In need of tweaking? Try trying to figure out how to lessen the stress on the servers when all hell is breaking loose because it cant handle newbie village stress crashes, and the pets were causing crashes too, and the mobs couldnt be hit right, and the combat was screwy and ohmygosh! Its still the same!!

Another example of how DnL is not like most others. You are not hand feed at any point in this game.

yup didnt even get a how to  on working the interfaces (clunky, archaic and not very user friendly),. hit or miss with trying anything cuz there was nothing there to tell us at all what to do.

(That I have seen), the progression is not linear, there is no lvl restrictions and thus no corralling of players threw a predetermined game play as is the case with most MMO's.

no, in SOG there was a level cap of 35. I do believe there was a dev chat about a level cap in DNL of 100? cant remember exactly but its not a big deal, lotsa games go way up. You cant sit here and tell us that the levels are limitless. And by not having at least somewhat of a predetermined game play, all you have is one big mess of a chat room made even messier by a bunch of ppl running around iwth no direction and nothing to do but gank. Ayup, lotsa fun and erm...mold breaking.

And it would do you well to realize just what was promised, what was given and the difference between the two. Again with the super secret game no one has seen, including the real beta testers and a whole lotta big mouthed hype with nothing but broken promises and lies to back it up.

As far as on paper, I have seen the migration system in action. It was removed in SOG I assume due to need of tweaking. It was very cool, but people were confused because they didn’t find there level 1 rats right outside of town. 

Wow would be interesting if many others had seen the same thing. I remember them being moved away from starterville simply due to the strain on the server with so many there. Many ppl complained about it, so they moved it out further. Is that the migration you are talking about? I would have to clarify this with my friend who WAS in beta to confirm anything you are saying as I have been at the game for a couple years and in SOG since the beginning and I dont remember any migration. In need of tweaking? Try trying to figure out how to lessen the stress on the servers when all hell is breaking loose because it cant handle newbie village stress crashes, and the pets were causing crashes too, and the mobs couldnt be hit right, and the combat was screwy and ohmygosh! Its still the same!!

Another example of how DnL is not like most others. You are not hand feed at any point in this game.

yup didnt even get a how to  on working the interfaces (clunky, archaic and not very user friendly),. hit or miss with trying anything cuz there was nothing there to tell us at all what to do.

(That I have seen), the progression is not linear, there is no lvl restrictions and thus no corralling of players threw a predetermined game play as is the case with most MMO's.

no, in SOG there was a level cap of 35. I do believe there was a dev chat about a level cap in DNL of 100? cant remember exactly but its not a big deal, lotsa games go way up. You cant sit here and tell us that the levels are limitless. And by not having at least somewhat of a predetermined game play, all you have is one big mess of a chat room made even messier by a bunch of ppl running around iwth no direction and nothing to do but gank. Ayup, lotsa fun and erm...mold breaking.

And it would do you well to realize just what was promised, what was given and the difference between the two. Again with the super secret game no one has seen, including the real beta testers and a whole lotta big mouthed hype with nothing but broken promises and lies to back it up.

Originally posted by tsr57

"This confuses people, they need to get over it."
    No actually what they will do is just go play something else and leave the DnL creators to "get over it". 

Eather way. I persionaly like the change in play.

And just to be clear, when i said lvl cap, i mean lvel cap to enter or goto content. Such as "Zones" or other areas you are usealy gated from using becouse os level. Not level cap as in what the max is you can reach. In DnL, if you level to fast you WILL miss out on parts of the game, as fort ownership is the only thing that is caped by level, but its used to keep people moving up the political chain to prince.

Thanks.

As for the rest, you can twist what i said all day long. Dosnt really bother me, I was just trying to help you understand.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• PriscilapramPriscilapram Member Posts: 67

hmm there are a few games out there that have levels you can get to even if you are not high enough level. But then there are other games in which the whole setup is meant to be that way. Doesnt make it any better or any worse than none than all.

And in the SOG (why you keep speaking of  DNL when nobody has yet to play it is quite curious) I did not see anything to prevent me from leveling too fast, in fact, you could level to the max 35 in 2-3 days. Now I hear you saying that this will be prevented, but you say there is no limits no restrictions. Please, if you are wishing to make a statement , please make a clear one. Everything you say will be picked apart, dissected and examined and then and only then will most make up their minds.

Still is quite curious how you are stating all this is in DNL, yet have no qualms about an NDA, are implying you are playing DNL currently and have seen all of this in action......you are either a liar or a developer , in which case , you are one the same anyway but pretty cheesy way to go about your "marketing". If you are just throwing things out there because you hope it will be like this when it does come out, I really rather think you need to pay more attention to your school studies than daydreaming about DNL.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Eather way. I persionaly like the change in play.

Please elaborate on this comment after you have actually played DnL for a couple weeks.  Since the above comment is being made while the game isn't even released yet.   And just so you know, the term niche game is not what Farlan was shooting for with DnL. 
  • GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

Or maybe Priscila what he is saying IS THAT SOG IS D&L and as a dev he knows this.

Guess he is having problems translating from the French to English just like the amount of time it has taken to answer the interview questions from Jack-n-Coke at Stratics, release the skill tree, tell us what the monthly cost is, how we will pay, when we can start downloading, etc, etc, etc.......................ad naseum.

• PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

Slap some lipstick on this pig and roll it out! ...it's April!

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Originally posted by indiramourn
    .......   And just so you know, the term niche game is not what Farlan was shooting for with DnL. 

I think since the info came out it has indeed switched directions to a complete "niche game". Without there being the total freedom they boasted about (relying on others progress is not freedom) I guess they cant truly see that this will be a game much like D&DO. Insofar as you must have a group, you must have an uber guild, you must have a best friend as a brotherhood leader and it all depends on the progress of these others in order for you to advance in the game as intended. Indeed a complete turnaround from the hype they are throwing out. Its apparent they had no clear concept at the start, pieced this together but did not take into consideration all they promised before working within the flybynight seatofthepants game concept. Besides the dwindling credibility they are regulating themselves to a niche game much like D&DO.