Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

official DAoC forums?

SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Are there no official forums for this game?  I have been playing for about a month now, and i guess my only complaint with the game is a general lack of documentation and direction. When i run in to a brick wall, or just plain don't know what i should be doing next in a game... I would normally check the official forums.... but i can't seem to find any.

Comments

• BehometBehomet Member Posts: 11

There are no official Forums.

Most of the info that you need to start up and get going is located on the camelot mainpage.

(Look to the Left Side of the Herald!!) (Documentation)

It is left to the users to inform eachother when "official" information is lacking or outdated.

This is not really a bad thing but I can understand that it may frustrate some new players. Some information that is shared amongst the players can be incorrect but there is a wealth of info that is very helpful out there.

What kinds of questions do you have? Maybe we can help!!!!!

• EchaniEchani Member Posts: 72
    I'd say the best places to find help are a good guild and as follows.

http://www.camelotherald.com

http://www.mmorpg.com

http://daoc.catacombs.com

The last one is a little out of date after the patest patches but it has alot of class specific info.  Also you can go to the VN boards as well, but in my experience you are just as likely to be flamed as you are to get help there.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Does your guild have a website yet? Find out how easy it is to get one.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

The problem I was having today, that prompted this post, was trying to find a metal merchant in Midgard.  According to documentation on the site, I should see Om in Jord... but he doesn't sell any metal.  This points to the bigger  issues, that i am trying to blindly fumble through so many things in the game... like the crafting system, or player housing, or when and how I get a horse... or a boat.  It seems like the game has a lot of depth, but those features are hidden and poorly documented. 

I have been enjoying the game, and it has been able to hold my attention longer than anything else since I quit SWG, but I am looking for something to do besides going through the task dungeons over and over. I am playing with my brother and my son, and we are all in the high 20s... but I'm pretty bored with the grind and would like to try and find a little more meaningful content.  I have done several of the missions NPCs were offering, but they weren't really that rewarding.  They are usually either too easy, or they overwhelm you with 20 low level guys that kill you in a few seconds... and then they aren't really rewarding at the end.  I guess I am just looking for some general guidance on what else i could be doing.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

/help

That will help with a lot of your issues.  That will explain houses, horses, etc.  Also, if you can find a good guild what will help out a lot as well.  I agree that there is a lack of doccumentation.  I can almost sympothize with people on the issue.  DAOC is an older game.  This means it has a lot of content and was designed in a different era of games.  Way back then, you had little information available for most games.  It was here is how you get around and other than that you had no guidence.  At one time you had no idea what spells did until you cast them.  So things have improved.  It is not the same as you might receive in other games.  The Herald should be updated more often and with correct information.  Offical Forums are a bad thing.  It costs a lot of money and nothing is gained by it in the long run. 

I can sum things up very quickly.

1.  Do not craft.  Once you hit 50 then if you really want to do it then you can craft, but if you think leveling is lacking depth and is a grind then you certainly do not want to bother with crafting. 

2.  There is nothing you should be doing.  There is no linear storyline.  At the same time it is not exactly a sandbox game where you can build up a buisness and create player towns. 

3.  Go explore.  The worst that will happen is that you will die.  Dying sucks, but it won't take you that long to deal with.

4.  Catacombs zones are the best for leveling in terms of mobs/quests.

5.  At 30 you can start the Darkness Rising quests.  Those are the best quests in the game if you are looking for a good story. 

This site might also help you out: guide

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    /help

That will help with a lot of your issues.  That will explain houses, horses, etc.  Also, if you can find a good guild what will help out a lot as well.  I agree that there is a lack of doccumentation.  I can almost sympothize with people on the issue.  DAOC is an older game.  This means it has a lot of content and was designed in a different era of games.  Way back then, you had little information available for most games.  It was here is how you get around and other than that you had no guidence.  At one time you had no idea what spells did until you cast them.  So things have improved.  It is not the same as you might receive in other games.  The Herald should be updated more often and with correct information.  Offical Forums are a bad thing.  It costs a lot of money and nothing is gained by it in the long run. 

I can sum things up very quickly.

1.  Do not craft.  Once you hit 50 then if you really want to do it then you can craft, but if you think leveling is lacking depth and is a grind then you certainly do not want to bother with crafting. 

2.  There is nothing you should be doing.  There is no linear storyline.  At the same time it is not exactly a sandbox game where you can build up a buisness and create player towns. 

3.  Go explore.  The worst that will happen is that you will die.  Dying sucks, but it won't take you that long to deal with.

4.  Catacombs zones are the best for leveling in terms of mobs/quests.

5.  At 30 you can start the Darkness Rising quests.  Those are the best quests in the game if you are looking for a good story. 

This site might also help you out: guide

i'm sorry, but not crafting sort of makes the game boring.  grind kill, grind kill, grind kill some more, bored with game, next please.

i haven't been able to find any sort of character builder for this either.  best i've found is allakhazam and just going back and forth between power sets. 

this game being an older MMO doesn't really matter.  it's had a number of upgrades since it was first implemented.  yet there's a few dead links on the website, and there's not a whole lot of easily attained information, with this year's date on it, about the game.

adding a web-based character builder and/or guides wouldn't cost a lot of money to implement or maintain.

i guess this game will have to hope that the mega guilds do a lot of quick recruiting because between the technical issues i've experienced (including a funky lag where the screen blacks out or goes to me standing in the sky until i run a little farther and get out of it), lackluster graphics, and the lack of easily attained BASIC playing information -- i just have no real incentive to keep playing.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    I do not think that DAOC now, nor ever will be the game for you.  I think you are looking for something that is not in this game.  Until you can accept a game for what it is and like it, then you are unlikely to enjoy this or other games.

As for guides, I really do not know what you are others are asking for.  Maybe because I do not check offical forums of games or something.  There is a tutorial that shows you how to get around.  You have a /map.  Yellow rings means a NPC has quests.  There are websites that give you all the quests in the game.  What more information are people wanting?  Yes the herald is broken.  They are in the process of rebuilding it as well as I think they are hiring (or recently did hire) someone to build/maintain that page. 

If you would have tried the links posted in this thread, or the links in the FAQ up top (which will answer most of your questions as well), then you would have found a character builder.  It is the daoc.catacombs.com link

Unless you are playing the old graphics, the graphics are not lackluster.  Certainly not the best, but in the top 3-4 of all the mmorpgs out right now.

In order to craft you buy the material and then stand in a spot.  You click a button and stand still waiting for it to be made.  You do this over and over to skill up.  Your items sell back to the NPC for less than the material cost.  There is no demand for anything you will be making at your level.  In fact, depending on your skill, there may be little demand for your items once you can craft everything.  That is why I say not to bother with crafting.  It is the single worst grind with no reward for doing it until you are very high.  The next patch might be fixing crafting.  If this is the case then it might be worth it.  But for now, if you hate the grind, I cannot see how this crafting system would make things any better. 

I would recomend you try the RvR.  If that does not appeal to you, then try playing on the PvE only server.  I will say that every fantasy mmorpg is like DAOC.  Some of them just dress things up differently.  They have the same quests, leveling, etc.  You either grind quests or mobs.  Once you played enough of them you can see that.  This is one of the most depressing facts about games.  Ones that make me not bother chaging games because it is all the same.  Warhammer is the only one coming out that seems to offer something different than this. 

If what you are really wanting to do is like in SWG where you could build cities and be wanted as a crafter, then I would suggest you look into non-traditional types of mmorpgs.  Second Life, for example, might be the game for you. 

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Julian:

Not true.  On the classic servers there is minor demand for low level player crafted gear.  He'd have to be pretty active about promoting his wares but there is a market for low level gear on Gareth, in particular, and on the lamo/ector cluster as well, albeit much much smaller.

Basically cuz there are a LOT of new players on Gareth and/or a lot of low level players there.  There also aren't a whole lot of LGM crafters so if he takes it up as a profession and sticks with it he will have a very high demand for his goods later on.

==============

As far as "guides" I'm not sure what he's talking about either.  There's detailed info on crafting on www.camelotherald.com but there are also several fan sites out there that are much much better.  I highly recommend going to http://daoc.catacombs.com and http://camelotvault.ign.com/ and possibly the DAOC stratics site as well.  There's all kinds of information out there about the game.  Including full quest walkthroughs at http://daoc.warcry.com/ and Allakhazams (sorry can't remember the link right now).  For class guides go with catacombs (see above) and for more general guides Camelotvault and Stratics have great guides as well.

Crafting *is* boring right now, Julian is absolutely correct about that.  It can be fun if you're looking for something 'peaceful' to do while watching TV or reading or something.  It's very passive in DAOC.  Though it is supposedly getting some love soon.  No word on what they're changing but with Mythic doing the work I'm sure it will be good.  Hafta remember that the crafting system is 5 years old :)  Back 'in the day' it was the greatest crafting system on the market besides UO :)  Nowadays it's kinda lacking.  That's why they're devoting 2 or 3 entire patch sequences to crafting :)   Hopefully they have come up with good things for us :)

I highly recommend doing the various quests.  Many don't even ask you to kill anything.  Most do but many do not.  I also highly recommend getting the epic edition of the game.  If you aren't playing on the Darkness Rising client you REALLY are not seeing the best graphics the game offers.  And if you are and still think they're sub-par then I'm affraid that it's not the graphics quality, it's that it's not your style of graphics.

Good luck.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• freshgirlfreshgirl Member Posts: 22

I just started this game a few weeks ago and I love it.   Its takes a bit of research on the Camelot Herald and use this MMORPG.com forum for your questions, I have found answers to all of my questions here.   Talk to other players in the game, join a guild, form groups and you will learn in no time.  If all you do is TDs you will get bored for sure.  Why not try Battlegrounds?  If you dont RvR your missing out on one of the best aspects of the game!

If you are looking to break up the level grind and task dungeons try a battle ground. You are in your 20's (i am guessing early 20's) so go to the porter in the capitol city and port to the battle grounds. At levels 20-24 you will be taken to Thidranki. This is a favorite battle ground and there should be plenty of action. In the battle ground you will gain exp from killing other players as well as cash. There is no death penalty other than a small debuff that quickly fades (no exp debt for pvp kills)

Battle grounds are the best way to break up the grind. There are battle grounds for every level range. Until player feedback warrants a 45-50 BG you will have to play big boi RvR from 45 on.

Dont craft...crafting will be getting an overhaul soon, so put it off until you see crafting patchnotes.

Try the links in the other posts.
    Look for a guild that is accepting members. With the addition to guild merit bonus many guilds are willing to take on members to better the guild and increase guild abilities.

Go out and explore...there is no reason to stick to Task Dungeons they are really there to maximize your solo or small group exp per hour if done right.

(Clear a kill all task by zoneing and get tasks until you get a kill named or kill number of mobs)
    (Named mobs always spawn in the same place so make quick work of the TD by going directly to the Named mob)
    (Mob aggro is short in TD's, you can skip mobs by skirting the walls)

These TD tips are to help you with grind when you do it. Getting exp fast and leveling makes the grind seem less like work.

You will get Horses at lvl 35.

You will get boats when you buy them and depending on your realm, Boats and under water classic zones now (Mids) or soon!(Everyone else)

Try not to get frustrated, have fun with the game and if you feel like venting anger....go kill some Albs ;)

• MaxziusMaxzius Member UncommonPosts: 248

Originally posted by Behomet

Until player feedback warrants a 45-50 BG

omg no.

=====================
    -Just My Thoughts-
    Max

Currently playing: Nothing

Thanks for the tips, Behomet.

To the previous poster.  I didn't say I wasn't enjoying the game. I just asked if there were official forums, something every single other game I have played in the last 10 years has had. I understand how MMOs work in general, I have played 4 or 5 for any real length of time. This grind so far doesn't seem so bad, although a little loot now and then might make the task dungeons more bearable. For the record, I didn't ask about game guides.  I was looking for the best place to ask questions.  Official forums usually have the most traffic, and have generally been the fastest place to find an answer when i get stuck.

Back to my original, and as yet unanswered question, Does anyone know where a metal trader is located in Mid?  While I appreciate the links, I have been to all those pages without finding this info. I also did a search of the knowledgebase and the herald as well as searching on yahoo. I followed the links from this website as well, and was not able to find the information on either of those forums. I did all these things before I posted the question in the first place.

The only official info I can find on the issue says to talk to Om in Jord, as I mentioned, that seems to be incorrect.  Regardless of your opinion on the state of crafting in the game and your guesses on whether or not this game is for me, I am still having the original issue of not being able to find a place to ask questions about the game.... although i found the link to mmorpg.com posted in this thread to be very helpful ;)  If this type of information is readily available and i am simply unable to locate it, by all means, please point the way.

In Jordhiem:

Ottar

/loc=  24304,27273

He sells:

Bronse Metal Bars 8c
    Iron Metal Bars 1s40c
    Steel Metal Bars 5s60c
    etc.

I hope this helps!!

Sorry your question wasn't answered sooner ;)

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Originally posted by Salvatoris

I just asked if there were official forums, something every single other game I have played in the last 10 years has had. I understand how MMOs work in general, I have played 4 or 5 for any real length of time. This grind so far doesn't seem so bad, although a little loot now and then might make the task dungeons more bearable. For the record, I didn't ask about game guides.  I was looking for the best place to ask questions.  Official forums usually have the most traffic, and have generally been the fastest place to find an answer when i get stuck.
    The only official info I can find on the issue says to talk to Om in Jord, as I mentioned, that seems to be incorrect.  Regardless of your opinion on the state of crafting in the game and your guesses on whether or not this game is for me, I am still having the original issue of not being able to find a place to ask questions about the game.... although i found the link to mmorpg.com posted in this thread to be very helpful ;)  If this type of information is readily available and i am simply unable to locate it, by all means, please point the way.

Yes, most games out there have official forums... And most of those official forums are a steaming pile... If you're going to honestly sit there and say the best place to ask a question about WoW is on their official forums then I might just fall over laughing...

Mythic's opinion/policy is that our money is better spent on the game itself, not on maintaining forums, paying people to mod those forums, etc. We have a Community Team whose job is to browse various community websites, just like this. I answer questions here all the time. Official forums tend to draw the worst of the worst. People who no longer play the game tend to stick around the official forums for no better reason than to troll and flame. When forums are "official" people tend to have unreasonable expectations about the level of interaction with the Devs they're going to have there... Once again, Mythic's belief is the Devs are better suited actually working on the game, let the Community Team gather and pass on info to them.

With official forums you have to try to build and maintain a community that works for everyone who plays the game and/or is interested in the game... it doesn't work. But not having official forums you can make better use of the time and money that would normally go into their development and extensive upkeep by putting it towards what should be the primary focus in the first place; making the game better. By having an ACTIVE Community team who patrols several different community sites you have a better chance of covering several different community types which will draw a wider range of people. Jimbob doesn't like the feel of the community at Site-A he can go to Site-B and be right at home, and since we patrol both sites he isn't missing out on anything...

As for the Tradeskill related portion of this discussion, yes, some of the documentation is a bit out of date, that is something we're working on... However, coming to a website like this to complain about it isn't the best way to bring it to our attention so we know to fix it... That's what the feedback form on the Herald is for... If you find something that is out of date or just wrong, please, let us know so we can address it. DAoC is coming up on being 5 years old, LOTS have changed with the game in that period of time. By its very nature a MMORPG is a constantly changing beast and our little 3 person team can't always keep up with all those changes, which is why we love when people like you are nice enough to point out the ones we miss.

The tradeskill system is going through some major changes in the near future, based almost entirely on player feedback and requests, so a lot of the complaints about the system mentioned above are sure to be addressed and corrected, watch the Herald for details! :)

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

I have never played WoW, or read their forums, but I did play SWG for a long time, and some sections of their forums are definitely out of hand, so I can't argue with the downside you mentioned. I will also say that I never had a question about gameplay that I couldn't find an answer for there.

I tried the forums on the sites listed in the links here. Game Banshee doesn't even seem to have a DAoC section and I didn't have any luck with the Alakazam forums.  The main problem is that they don't seem to have a search function. I did try searching the Knowledgebase and the Herald, but I didn't have much luck. The search results with multiple terms were pretty broad.

Other than that, I really don't have any complaints. I am really enjoying the game so far, and have opened accounts for my brother and my son. I tell all my buddies about the game, and rated it here at a 9.2. After dealing with SWg for the last few years, I have found the Camelot to be relatively bug free and the support staff infinitely more helpful. I got this game to play while I waited for Vanguard, now I am playing it while i wait for Warhammer Online.

I was surprised with some of the responses I got, just asking where the forums were. I think a lot of people anticipate flames from anyone with an issue these days, and go in to preemptive defense mode. The funny thing is, everything negative mentioned about the gameplay in this thread, is by the guys defending it. My only issue was where to find answers when I have questions. :)

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Behomet

Until player feedback warrants a 45-50 BG you will have to play big boi RvR from 45 on.

Err... please.... no

I would love a 45-49 BG... but 45-50 is a BAD idea.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas