Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM Corruption

DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75
It is happening more and more. GM's are favoring one side against another. What is an exploit if one group does it, is ruled not an exploit if a group the GM is friends with does it.  This blatant corruption of the GMs is beginning to sour my experience of the game.  They, the GMs, are not treating the different groups with an even hand.   CCP itself needs to wake up and realize this is going to hurt them in the long run unless they crack down on these sour GMs now.   This would not be the first time I've dropped out a game because of GM interference.

Comments

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75

Poll your experience with GMs in EVE Online.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Could you give us an example?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DKKOberonDKKOberon Member Posts: 75
    Of course i'm not about to give a particular as i don't wish to be banned by some gm with a grudge  and a god complex. If you see it you'll know it.  If you don't, count your blessing.
  • ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

You can't accuse GM's of anything unless you can give an explicit example of what was done.    You are soiling the name of all GM's based on what you PERCIEVE as an injustice.   

If what you say happened actually happened then how would you get banned for talking about it. 

Otherwise I'd suggest you get a hold on yourself and learn to be a better loser.

• I think he used the wrong Forum and wrong company name hehe, i've never ever seen bias or favorism between the GMs of EVE, non, and i've been playing for 2 years now.

I've been playing EVE for over a year now and have never recieved unfair treatment from CCP. In fact quite the opposite I've been well cared for and fairly treated at every point, and any problems have been dealt with swiftly and adequatly by tech support. Although considering I'm an ex-SWG player it may put them in a better light but I certainly have no complaints, nor have witnessed unfair treatment.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Heres an example.. .5 says hey gm buddy how about you lend us some guristas dreadnoughts to help us this weekend we're getting our ass spanked and we aren't looking very good. Gm friend says ok let me call up the events team. Events team calls up .5 and says "hi we're interested in running an event that will alter your conflict in your favor. .5 says hey thats awesome count us in. Next thing you know theres a dozen NPC dreadnoughts in a system. I've seen it. It can be quite blatent. It's happened at other times too. PoS's mysteriously go offfline just before a big fleet comes to take a system. The big fleet says hey its not a gm exploiter its our spies but it turns out only 2 people had access to the pos and they were both CEO's of enemy corps.. go figure. Nobody's perfect but there is a reason that the big dogs are the big dogs and its not because of their dedication.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by DKKOberon
    Of course i'm not about to give a particular as i don't wish to be banned by some gm with a grudge  and a god complex. If you see it you'll know it.  If you don't, count your blessing.

In other words, they said "tough shit, you shouldn't have done that" and you cried...?

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.

Originally posted by Copeland

Heres an example.. .5 says hey gm buddy how about you lend us some guristas dreadnoughts to help us this weekend we're getting our ass spanked and we aren't looking very good. Gm friend says ok let me call up the events team. Events team calls up .5 and says "hi we're interested in running an event that will alter your conflict in your favor. .5 says hey thats awesome count us in. Next thing you know theres a dozen NPC dreadnoughts in a system. I've seen it. It can be quite blatent. It's happened at other times too. PoS's mysteriously go offfline just before a big fleet comes to take a system. The big fleet says hey its not a gm exploiter its our spies but it turns out only 2 people had access to the pos and they were both CEO's of enemy corps.. go figure. Nobody's perfect but there is a reason that the big dogs are the big dogs and its not because of their dedication.

Says who?  BoB used to be m0o.  As much as I dislike m0o, they were very dedicated.  BoB is probably the same way, the only difference is that most members of BoB have been around since the beginning of Eve.  They know who people are.  I think people just enjoy speculating because if you've seen this stuff happen and didn't report it then it probably benefitted you in some way.  So, report it or petition it or STFU.  3 options... all work really well.

Also, please try and have a decent example, one that actually has happened and you have screenies and evidence to back it up.  All else is merely mindless banter.

SobaKai.com

This is why I play EVE and not some p***y mmo.

The way I see it is who says the enemy didn't pay one of those CEOs a disgustingly large amount of ISK and rare loot in order to bribe him to drop the defences when they attacked? I mean seriously for dropping all the defences for one single attack that you'll survive how many CEOs in EVE could say they don't have a price?

And yeah I know they both deny it and blame corrupt DEVs and GMs, and since there's no-one else they can possibily blame it's obvious to me they're full of it. Any EVE player worth thier salt knows what happened there mate and it wasn't hacking, it was bribery.

There's one way of counteracting this in EVE, I call it revenge. You have to be as lowdown and dirty as they are, but my first move would to be to pay someone in thier corp/alliance and bribe them in order to find out which CEO is on your enemies payroll. Until you do that and act upon the info you can't do anything as they'll know every move you make before you do.

BTW death to the Amarr filth and thier Ni-Kunni lapdog scum!

CS Lewis

• DarkentwoDarkentwo Member Posts: 160
    LOL this is amusing. When BoB were attacked by the Serpentis the people allied with teh Serpentis for that, were the very same people who were on the opposing side when the Guristas teamed up with the .5. and FE. Strangely, it seems its ok when the event team is on their side but not ok when the event team is on teh opposing side.

Grow up, get a life and stop crying like a 1 year old baby who dropped his pacifier. Gawd I hate sore losers.
  • JRoarkJRoark Member Posts: 6

The GMs probably had nothing to do with that. Devs and ISD are the only oens involved in that. Also, the event teams ahve done several of these, each on different sides. As far as POS going offline, no idea, ive seen some weird bugs with POS.
  • fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

I agree that I've seen that happen but I would not call it "corruption."

Alot of the top players and corporations have GM's in them, and their goal is to create interesting stories to put on the webpage.

X spanked Y is not an interesting story.

X was spanking Y until a Z Jovian fleet came through and changed the course of the battle, resulting in a humiliating defeat for X, is an interesting story.

Not exactly "fair" for X, but you gotta look at the big picture.

This isnt a typical game, its more of a space opera, where the players are actors, whether your win/loss was fair doesn't really matter, the game is trying to generate interesting drama, a cool STORY, about how something was supposed to happen because you had more guns, but didn't because something miraculous happened.

In a way I think the admin team actively tries to shape the game world in ways that create interesting stories.

Right now BoB is the most powerful alliance in the game.

If it ever got to the point where they were SO powerful that they closed off 0.0 space to everyone but their own members, you can bet your ass that a Jovian fleet would show up and hand the BoB fleet their ass.

When a group of players camped Amamake and were killing noobs for hours, an "event" fleet showed up and cleaned out the camp.

Was it fair for the campers?

No. But who cares. They had a few hours of fun, time to open up the route and let the weaker players play. And plus it generated a buzz, "omg did you hear what happened? A jovian fleet came through and totally pwned them."

You can call it corruption or whatever, but it also makes the game more fun for the underdog.
  • McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

The word GM is thrown around here a lot with different meanings, most of the far from that they really are in eve.

EVE support and event staff is divided into 3 parts.

1. Developers. These are the people who make the game, programmers, artists etc. Some of these sometimes come out to play in event as titan pilots etc and decide on world changing events.

2. Game Masters (GMs). These are a small number of paid personal that handle petitions and similar. They have nothing to do with ingame events.

3. Interstellar Service Department (ISD). These are player volunteers, they are divided into several subgroups like Forum moderators, Noob helpers, bug hunters and event organisers. Most of these have very little power do really do something and are constantly monitored. Events must be cleared by high level personal which the devs placed their trust in because of long time scrupulous commitment, and they are still monitored.

So the next time you accuse someone for bias can you be a bit more specific.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• sleepmindedsleepminded Member Posts: 5
    Most events that occur in EVE have a backstory to it. If I recall correctly, G/IRON had attacked a Gurista's convoy before the d7 incident. Which is why they sent in a dread fleet. 

• Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

People all too oftenly confuse their own stupidity of lack of insight with GM abuse of power.

There is no GM abuse of power in Eve Online, or at least most certainly not on the scale you indicate. If you'd know how CCP deals with their GM's you'd know that abuse of their power is next to impossible.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Darkentwo
    LOL this is amusing. When BoB were attacked by the Serpentis the people allied with teh Serpentis for that, were the very same people who were on the opposing side when the Guristas teamed up with the .5. and FE. Strangely, it seems its ok when the event team is on their side but not ok when the event team is on teh opposing side. Grow up, get a life and stop crying like a 1 year old baby who dropped his pacifier. Gawd I hate sore losers.

Thats not true at all. When the GM's stepped in for 5/FE it was a northern civil war and it was at a very critical foothold situation. When serpentis attacked BoB there was nothing at stake. Absolutely NOTHING.

• When the GM's stepped in for 5/FE it was a northern civil war and it was at a very critical foothold situation. When serpentis attacked BoB there was nothing at stake. Absolutely NOTHING.

Except I think 5 BoB dreads and a valuable large pos in a system that was pulling in 10 billion isk a week.

Serpentis allied with G and some other northern entities for that, put the pos in reinforced but were left out in the cold the next day. G and co left BoB to almost fully recharge the pos shields before the serpentis returned.

You can't blame 5 for taking advantage of the situation, BoBs enemies had the chance to boot them out of outer ring in pods but just never capitalised on it.

Originally posted by Darkentwo
    LOL this is amusing. When BoB were attacked by the Serpentis the people allied with teh Serpentis for that, were the very same people who were on the opposing side when the Guristas teamed up with the .5. and FE. Strangely, it seems its ok when the event team is on their side but not ok when the event team is on teh opposing side.

Grow up, get a life and stop crying like a 1 year old baby who dropped his pacifier. Gawd I hate sore losers.

Thats not true at all. When the GM's stepped in for 5/FE it was a northern civil war and it was at a very critical foothold situation. When serpentis attacked BoB there was nothing at stake. Absolutely NOTHING.

Were you there, or are you in BoB?  If that answer is "NO" then let's not talk about things we don't know.  If the answer is "YES" then you would know that in 0.0 there is always something at risk.

SobaKai.com
  • Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Thrak

When the GM's stepped in for 5/FE it was a northern civil war and it was at a very critical foothold situation. When serpentis attacked BoB there was nothing at stake. Absolutely NOTHING.

Except I think 5 BoB dreads and a valuable large pos in a system that was pulling in 10 billion isk a week.

Serpentis allied with G and some other northern entities for that, put the pos in reinforced but were left out in the cold the next day. G and co left BoB to almost fully recharge the pos shields before the serpentis returned.

You can't blame 5 for taking advantage of the situation, BoBs enemies had the chance to boot them out of outer ring in pods but just never capitalised on it.

Thrak is quite correct.
    What was at stake was control over a system holding a serpentis 10/10 complex. The dreads we had defending the pos, and the goods inside the pos.

Combined, thats over ten billion in direct isk, and an earning potential of about half a billion to a billion per day that was being disputed for months already between BoB, Norad and some others.

Most alliances dream of such a victory, and to say there was less at stake then in D7 is very shortsighted.

Eve's GM's are not corrupt, period. Even thinking that shows your lack of knowledge. Every major GM action is scrutinised, and event actors do not get GM powers themselves and only very limited access to 'über' goods. In short, there is only a question about wether or not event benefits are spread evenly. But to answer that you need to quantify the extent to which different player factions utilise the potential these events offer as well, and some factions are simply better at estimating and using that potential then others.