Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15 Steps to Playing the TW Beta

RaptorStormRaptorStorm Member Posts: 312

How to sign up for the Taiwan Beta of Lineage 2, after doing this multiple times because I kept failing, I found the below way that so far my friends have been able to use on their first try. There are other ways I'm sure, this is just what worked for me.

1) Where to go to register.
Go to this link and wait for the page to load https://event.lineage2.com.tw/OBaccount/member_ad_account.asp
Raptor's Comments: This web server has to be on a 56k connection to the web or it takes me around the planet one thousand eight hundred and twelve times because it takes FOREVER to load.

1.2) What your browser might be missing.
Make sure that your browser has the ability to read Chinese Traditional (Big5), usually found under the "View" menu of your browser in the sub menu "Encoding" or "Character Coding".

1.3) When the page loads properly.
After the page finally loads you will see two main boxes, the second one being slightly larger then the first. Each Box will have several smaller boxes inside them that look just like a standard form, except that it's in Chinese.

2) Another program that you will need shortly.
Load up another browser tab or window with this link http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and in the first pull down menu change the setting from 'English to Spanish' to 'English to Chinese'.

3) Yet another program you will need shortly.
Download a little program for making Taiwan ID numbers form this link http://members.cox.net/w15e.m4n/taiwan_id_maker.exe

Ok, this is where my way may not be the easiest way but it has worked thus far... until a Taiwan GM hops on this site reads this thread and kills my account and stops this process.

4) How to get a Login ID that is in English and still accepted.
What I found was that the site really likes it when everything that can be translated is in Chinese (other then the password). So for the first box on the link in Step 1, the first inner box that has a button next to it is for your login name. Go to the browser with the translator link from Step 2 and type in your full name (first and last) and then click the button "Translate", most likely when it translates your name either your first or your last name will be in Chinese and the other won't be translatable so it will stay in English. Use the non-translatable name as your login ID (if both names translate start trying other names like Josh or Timmy and see if those don't translate). Then at the end of the name that didn't translate into Chinese put down four numbers (your birth date works and is easy to remember). Now you have an English login ID that won't be hard to remember.

5) The next two inner boxes under the box in Step 4.
Here chose a password that is between 8 and 14 characters long, do not use caps but you can use numbers.

6) The forth and last inner box from the first of the two larger boxes.
This last box is for a question or comment that you would be able to read and identify your password if you ever forgot it. Again, with this site, the more that's in Chinese the more legit it appears. So go to the link mentioned in Step 2 and erase your names that you were translating and then type in a question or comment, anything really will do. Once you have finished with you comment or question click the "Translate" button again, then copy the entire translated statement or question and paste it in to the forth box.

Now the entire first large box is completed.

7) The second large box which is for personal information.
In the second large box there are more little boxes following the same format as the above large box. The first inner box is for your name. Now back in Step 4 where you wanted to find a non translatable name for your login ID, here is the exact opposite. Go back to the link in Step 2 and re translate your name again, then copy only the part of your name that did change to Chinese and paste it into this box. This box does not need a first and last, just the Chinese part (why this is I don't know, I'm sure some Chinamen have American names). It should come out to only three Chinese symbols.

8) The second inner box, your Taiwan ID.
Here you will now need that little program mentioned in Step 3. When you run this program it will look very foreign, so I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. At the top of the programs little window are two pull down menus, the first looks like it has a bunch of gibberish in it and the second has a number in it. Click on the first pull down menu with gibberish text and you will see a list of more gibberish text, each line will end in an alphabet though. Chose the very first gibberish text, this text should end with "(A)". Now after you select that choice, just under that are two options that are choose able with a dot. Make sure the one to the left is dotted. In the lower half of the right part of the window are four buttons with more gibberish on them, click the very first one (the upper left button) and a set of numbers beginning with the letter "A" should appear to the bottom left of the program window. Highlight this entire strand and copy it, then paste it into the second box underneath your Chinese name in the registration website.

Phew... still with me or have I lost everyone?

9) The happy day when the earth was blessed with your presence.
The third line of inner boxes is divided up for you to put in your birth date. The first one from left to right is for the year... like this... YY/MM/DD, use only the last two digits of your birth year for the first box, the other two have convenient pull down menus for selecting the other numbers.

10) Do you reside in Taiwan or Hong Kong?
Right under your birth date is a choice selected with a dot, because I had you enter a Taiwan ID number you need to select the first dot (the one on the left) stating that you reside in Taiwan.

10) Your home address.
The box just under your birth date is for your place of residence in Taiwan. Ironically enough the Taiwan ID that you copied into a box in Step 8 is an address too (at least I think it is, either way it don't matter), so just simply copy that ID number into this field too and move along.

11) Your phone number.
This was a mind bender, put in a double set of zeros then seven random digits. 001234567

12) Your mobile number.
Repeat Step 11 keeping the double zeros but with seven different numbers.

13) The very last box to fill out.
Funny enough it was in English when I looked at it and it states "E-Mail", just type in your email address here (and the English version of it is fine).

14) Under your email address.
There is another choice which I guess says "Do you want to get L2 news?" First Dot on the left is "Yes" and second dot on the right is "No". I don't care what you choose here.

15) A little button at the bottom of the page.
Roughly translated... "Click to submit". So click the darn thing already.

Now you have to wait for it to load.

If you get any type of Chinese error or Chinese Java Script Error message, then my way isn't fool proof and I suck.

If you don't get anything for hours (which is what happened to me, no message, just sat forever but I was able to log into the game afterwards) or you get a message that is two lines of Chinese with the second line ending in two exclamation points and a large graphic exclamation point to the left of both lines, then you made it in.

For pictures of the page and the congratulations message, check out a post brought over from another thread by Shmee at http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/11/loadthread/7302/loadforum/496/loadclass/170

Please yell at me if you get an error message during registration after following this guide.
Oh and feel free to ask if something is unclear, I am typing this rather fast and I may have missed something I didn't think about.

Good Luck.

Those are my views... seen through a broken glass.
-Raptor

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
-Raptor

Comments

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342
    I followed your instructions and got that stupid error message with all the squares. Think you could give a shot at trying to make me an account?

EDIT: nevermind, it turns out I wasn't too bright and had my password with only 7 letter image

But the directions were very good and discriptive just so you know

• RaptorStormRaptorStorm Member Posts: 312

I downloaded the game from this site. http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Game/online_game/lineageII/GAMEFILE.exe

-Raptor

-Raptor

• donjuandonjuan Member Posts: 14

Yeah its basically impossible to play without a taiwan socks server to connect to... if anyone has a free one let me know.  Or know where i can find some good ones because i have had absolutely zero luck

--
    Dan

--
    Dan

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    A question for those who are playing the TW beta, I read that theres an English option on it, are many people in the game acctually communicating in English?

Lords Of The Mist - A World of Warcraft guild.
    http://www.lordsofthemist.com/

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

In the thread "english please" is the steps for turning on the English option. All the names of creatures and npc's are in English along with your user interface to the game and damage you do and damage done to you and such. Other then that EVERYONE speaks Chinese... even the damn npc's.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    Thanks a lot for this guide on getting into the Taiwan beta.  Now all I have to do is d/l the huge file!  Thanks for spending the time on setting the guide up image

::Yordo::
    EQ2 Guild Search
    UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, Dragon Empires, City of Heroes

A new question has been added to the beta sign up, it is just under home address.  It means this....

Is at? Territory

Then has a pull down menu of choices.  It may take me a while to discern what to do here.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• SamuraiSamurai Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by RaptorStorm

A new question has been added to the beta sign up, it is just under home address.  It means this....
    s at? Territory
    Then has a pull down menu of choices.  It may take me a while to discern what to do here.

-Raptor

I chose the second option on the pull down menu and got a message in Chinese. Translated through babelfish, it said this: "Your? ? ? ? Welcomes you? Enters the heaven || world! !

You made it in. I have noticed with playing around with it, that it is finkey and random. I can not give a good reason on why it may or may not work.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• KopeKope Member Posts: 1

Just got accepted to the tw beta i think. So probably a bit late with the us one around the corner, but thanks for the time and effort involved helping out others.

Kope

• HemKhanHemKhan Member Posts: 231
    yeh its probably a bit too late to bother with the TW beta, but i cant amagine getting accepted for the US one so if it works i hope i can run the game image

I'm still playing the TW beta and having lots of fun.

I can tell you that I have seen other Americans playing that were having a hell of a time playing the game because they couldn't understand anything and couldn't talk to GMs, they were just frustrated beyond belief.

-Raptor

-Raptor

Addressed to everyone:

If you are going to take the time to sign up and go threw all this to play in the TW beta, please understand that you will be playing an MMORPG with another country that doesn't speak English (and they use crazy emotes). So if you are going to play the TW beta, please understand that it can and will be frustrating trying to figure anything out if you can't read Chinese.

In addition, the Taiwanese have a completely different way that they play MMORPG's.

No offense intended to anyone here that is Taiwanese, it is just a different style of play.

We have established a few things as a whole in mmorpgs. Like camping, when players are already camping spots, typically speaking we move to a different spot out of respect, or we try to share the spot but we don't attack the Mobs that they are attacking. Several little things that we do that we think of as normal mmorpg style of play, the Taiwanese do not have these un-written rules that we have.

From playing with them a lot, I am uncertain if they just don't care, or don't pay the close attention that we are used to seeing in mmorpgs. If a large group is killing a bunch of monsters, they will mow threw any creature in view, even one that has next to no life left that you have been attacking for the past five minutes. We would consider this kill stealing, the way L2 works is who ever does the most damage gets the better part of the XP, so for them to kill a creature that is already almost dead has no reward for them because you will get 95% of all the XP any way, so it has no benefit for them to kill the Mob but they will.

Now of course there are accidents, someone powering up a spell off in the distance just as you run up and start beating on the creature, there spell goes off too. They understand that as accidents just like we do and they apologize for it too.

What I am talking about can really throw you for a loop, camping an area for hours then have people walk in and kill everything in sight, including what you are attacking. Most of us would take that as a direct insult in the game. When playing with these guys, you can't be that way or you'll not like the game really fast.

If you can't speak Chinese, then you have to be the one to leave the area sense you are the one playing their game. My Chinese is good enough that when combined with a volley of attacks, the words 'you will die' and lots of exclamation points, they have always understood what I am saying and 99% of the time they are cool and stop kill stealing and such.

The point is we have set certain standards, or ways of playing mmorpgs, not every culture follows suite with what we do. When playing a game on their server, in their land, it wouldn't be right for any of us to get upset or disappointed or anything at all that would dieter anyone from wanting to continue playing L2 when it hits the USA market. If you log in and don't like playing with their culture, logged out, don't get frustrated and just wait patiently for the game to hit USA soil.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• JasonLavoieJasonLavoie Member Posts: 5

Hey man thanks for you rhelp, i have my account ready, and downloaded the game, BUT i am missing 2 files, the data1 file (or somthing) and one more, i donwloaded it from your link, so maybe if someone can give me the files that are neccesary, i can like.... PLAY!

My e-amil is [email protected], PLEASE someone help me on this, i have been wtahcing this game ever since it was announced... HE HE!

• GoggyGoggy Member Posts: 84

hello,

ok, thanks to my Tawainese wife i have downloaded the game file, installed it and registered with no problems but when it goes into the Lineage II auto update, i get the following message:

'connected to update server download lineage II, new file'

and i keep getting a 'file create failure'.?

can anyone help please,thx.

JasonLavoie:

If you have a CD burner, burn the install file to the CD and run it from the CD instead of from your HDD. I have seen a few PC's trying to install the game locally and fail but when they install the game off my server that is read only they do just fine.

-Raptor

-Raptor